PDA

View Full Version : Is it true that accuracy of a scope is affected by QD devices?

italius222
08-08-13, 10:18
I dont believe it so i had to ask here. Someone tried telling me that the zero/accuracy of a standard eotech exps2 is much better than the Quick detach model. Is that true? Do the quick detach models not hold their zero as well?

Failure2Stop
08-08-13, 10:40
QD absolutely can degrade precision.
Any bad mount or improper mounting can cause inconsistency.

I did not notice anything out of the ordinary with precision as far as my EXPS was concerned, however, I have seen great guns turn in sub-standard performance when a QD was used, and even after checking everything out, expected performance was not returned until a properly tightened "hard-mount" was used.

bp7178
08-08-13, 12:18
Any poorly made mount can degrade precision.

IIRC, the EXPS models are only spec'd for a 2 MOA return after removal.

Meplat
08-08-13, 12:26
QD mounts are no more or less inclined to shift than fixed mounts are, all things being equal.
I've had an XPS2 and an XPS3, one with their integral QD mount and the other with the standard thumb screw. I noticed no difference between the two of them, although I never did shoot either one for more than 3-4,000 rounds.

Failure2Stop
08-08-13, 13:47
QD mounts are no more or less inclined to shift than fixed mounts are, all things being equal.

And therein lies the rub.
You can't have "all things equal" between the two.
Basically, a QD is a broken hard-mount. The only thing that brings them up to the level that is attainable with a hard mount is quality of design.

Koshinn
08-08-13, 13:56
One thing I like about QD (ADM, KAC, and Bobro at least) is that they have specific torque settings that won't back out with use, for the most part, unlike standard mounts that require thread locker.

I say for the most part because metal can eventually wear out.

GH41
08-08-13, 15:18
I believe a QD mount serves only one purpose... Removing a damaged scope quickly. I will agree that repeated removal could lead to wear and POI shift but why would you you do that? GH

Jippo
08-08-13, 15:42
I switch scopes between rifles according to the needs I have. All my scopes have QD mounts which come off and go on different guns regularly. I have had no problems.

Nick081974
08-17-13, 20:31
I think the QD vs standard mount just lays in the application need. There are definitely quality standards with the QD mounts, like a NC star QD mount will probably not maintain zero and hold up to use like say a LaRue QD would, in my opinion.