PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Buying DD Complete Upper

ptmccain
08-08-13, 13:22
I have the opportunity to purchase a DD M5 LW Complete Upper for $775. I have a DD M4 V1 and this would replace the upper on my V1 which has around 10,000 rounds through it at this point.

Would you vote for me to buy it? Or forget it?

Thanks for any advice or observations.

Iraqgunz
08-08-13, 13:47
My question is why? You can simply get a new barrel and re-barrel your current upper. Then a new bolt (if needed) and you are good to go.

Split66
08-08-13, 13:51
Is the barrel shot out? I'd keep shooting then rebarrel as per IG's suggestion.

ptmccain
08-08-13, 14:12
I'd like the slick top, light weight upper since I'm running optics on my AR and prefer BUIS.

That's the main reason I'm considering it.

Stickman
08-08-13, 14:19
I have the opportunity to purchase a DD M5 LW Complete Upper for $775. I have a DD M4 V1 and this would replace the upper on my V1 which has around 10,000 rounds through it at this point.

Would you vote for me to buy it? Or forget it?

Thanks for any advice or observations.

Based on the information you have provided, you have no reason to think you "need" it. If you just want another one, that is cool.

If you have other reasons, you should have posted them, if not it really doesn't matter as you seem to have your mind made up. :)

ptmccain
08-08-13, 15:51
I don't "need" anything...I'm simply asking for advice, opinions on my present upper v. the one I'm considering.

Blak1508
08-08-13, 16:00
I think your joking right?:)^, the way I took what Stick said was if you want it get it, we do not need to co-sign the purchase. You know DD is great if you want a new upper and the price is right have at it.

I rationalized a new scope yesterday and the person I was talking to was asleep, it was my wife, she did not say no, so I took it as a, "Of course you can go buy that FFP Vortex you have been eyeing." :D

Iraqgunz
08-08-13, 16:21
You can still take a barrel and low pro gas block and install it into your current configuration.

If you want to get the upper "just because" then go for it.

I'd like the slick top, light weight upper since I'm running optics on my AR and prefer BUIS.

That's the main reason I'm considering it.

Averageman
08-08-13, 17:49
You're not going to go wrong buying that upper, but on the other hand your not going to go wrong putting a new barrel on your old upper.
Do both, then in six months you'll be looking for a lower.
I'm not the guy to be asking this question to for a number of reason but;
I like DD and recently bought a DDM4 V7 and I'm very happy with it.
If worse comes to worse you'll have an extra rifle the next time we go through a "Panic" and you can sell it for some ungodly price.
You're doing fine man, enjoy it that in this economy you can still spend your money like you want to !

ptmccain
08-08-13, 17:55
That's kind of what I was thinking, and I do have a spare DD barrel.

Averageman
08-08-13, 17:57
There you go,...
I have an idea thats what you wanted to do all along.

Redbeardsong
08-08-13, 19:59
That's a good price for that upper. Can't go wrong there. But your V1 should be good for a while. Daniel Defense rates their barrel life at 20K rounds.

PatrioticDisorder
08-08-13, 20:16
Is the upper new? Buy it and combine it with a BCM lower and have yourself 2 rifles. Keep shooting the DDM4V1. :)

Moose-Knuckle
08-08-13, 20:39
That's a good price for that upper. Can't go wrong there.

Yes it is if it is new with a factory M16 BCG, I'd hit it. It is always good to have a few spares laying around. I picked up my DDM4V5LW compete upper from Aim for a little over $700 several years before Barry's re-election. During the panic when you could find them they were twice that, 2016 is just around the bend. ;)

jmk
08-08-13, 21:00
i have one of the heaviest uppers, so i'd buy it to also have one of the lightest.

keeps the universe in balance and all that...

practicality aside, it's a good price, and it's never bad to have a backup.