PDA

View Full Version : Highest round count through an AR receiver?

Tspeis
04-17-08, 15:22
What's the highest round count anyone here has seen through an AR receiver (upper)? I'd be interested to know. Seems the trend lately is adding steel rails for the bolt carrier to ride on in certain platforms (BM ACR, FN SCAR, etc...). Does that offer any huge advantage over traditional AR aluminum receivers?

Tspeis

markm
04-18-08, 08:32
The AR upper receiver is one of the LAST components I'd be concerned about wear on. Steel inserts on a standard AR would be a silly waste of time and money. I can't comment on any of the other nutty platforms... they may serve some purpose... but I'd never own one of those anyway.

sinister
04-18-08, 09:51
At the AMU we would probably go through four or five barrels before we start getting a fairly deep wear track right behind the bolt cam pin recess on the inside upper left hand side of the upper.

Figure somewhere between 3,000 -3,500 rounds per barrel, so maybe 12,000 -15,000 rounds before you need to start looking for wear cracks.

markm
04-18-08, 10:16
I don't know what AMU is.... but what kind of barrels were you only getting 3500 rounds out of???:eek:

variablebinary
04-18-08, 10:35
What's the highest round count anyone here has seen through an AR receiver (upper)? I'd be interested to know. Seems the trend lately is adding steel rails for the bolt carrier to ride on in certain platforms (BM ACR, FN SCAR, etc...). Does that offer any huge advantage over traditional AR aluminum receivers?

Tspeis

I've seen MG uppers that have been recycled since the 80's and seen extreme round counts but still function great. I wouldnt say there is no value in have adding steel rails, but it isnt a huge issue in terms of wear either.

HolyRoller
04-18-08, 10:36
I'm sure Sinister is out shooting and getting paid for it, darn him, so I'll pipe up:

AMU = USAMU, the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit at Fort Benning. They more or less know what they're doing with ARs and M9s and stuff.

3500 round life = match barrel. These begin life very accurately, but they aren't usually chrome lined, and highpower competitors are mentally prepared to change barrels regularly. After a few thousand rounds, or less if it's not a top shelf item or you don't take care of it properly, its accuracy starts to drop off, which is what AMU means by "service life." You could still use a worn-out match barrel for normal activities if you don't mind toting around all that extra weight.

markm
04-18-08, 10:43
3500 round life = match barrel.

Ah.. that's what I was figgered! Even at 4 barrel swaps for a total of under 15k rounds... that's almost nothing for the potential life of an upper.