PDA

View Full Version : Gear Sector or Thorntail?

aaron_c
08-08-13, 23:11
I noticed last weekend that my VTAC light mount has developed some cracks where the Allen screws tighten down, and I'm looking to replace it now. I have some pictures below showing my setup and how I want to continue to run it. Looking at the Gear Sector or maybe the SBR Thorntail, since my 12" rail will get the light pretty far out there. Opinions on which might have the advantage? The light is a G2X Tactical.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/aaron_c_2006/20130808_224719_zps7eed319b.jpg?t=1376020743

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/aaron_c_2006/20130808_224554_zps063cbcde.jpg?t=1376020755

Javelin
08-08-13, 23:19
I like my gear sector mount. It is rock solid and very descrete.

Army Chief
08-08-13, 23:24
Don't have a thing in the world against Thorntail, but I'm with Javelin. The quality and refinement of the typical Gear Sector component is about as good as it gets. Pretty much almost at the "functional art" level in my book.

AC

SWATcop556
08-09-13, 00:11
Both will serve you well. Gear Sector is hard to beat but the Thorntail is pretty slick.

aaron_c
08-09-13, 07:54
I'm thinking I'll likely end up going with the Gear Sector. I wanted to get one when I was in school but couldn't afford it. The SBR Thorntail does interest me though and makes sense with the 12" rail and not positioning the light out beside the compensator, as I think the standard Thorntail might do.

Another thing that bugged me about the VTAC is that in the position I want to mount the light, that mount would press firmly against my MBUS. Is always mount it farther back than pictured to prevent this, can't be good for maintaining zero.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/aaron_c_2006/20130808_224346_zps1e219c7d.jpg?t=1376020760

ASH556
08-09-13, 09:06
I run Gear Sectors and my bro Karma Police (memer here) runs the Haley. I have done some work on his guns and had his Thorntails on and off several times. Every time I do so, I'm grateful for my Gear Sectors! (Shhhh, don't tell him:secret:)

The Gear Sector is just simpler and more rugged.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/May%20Firearms/IMG_2415.jpg
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/May%20Firearms/IMG_2363.jpg

Korgs130
08-09-13, 13:22
I currently use the Thorntail, but I've had both and you really can't go wrong either way. An advantage of the Thorntail is that you can use the same mount for several different lights by switching out or removing the ring. When I upgraded from the VTAC Mini L4 to a M300B all I had to do was remove the ring and I could mount the Mini Scout to the Thorntail.

titsonritz
08-09-13, 14:37
I have never used a Thorntail, but I really like my Gear Sector mounts. Simple, low pro, and rugged.

ag08
08-10-13, 23:11
Do Gear Sector mounts have enough clearance to allow IR laser unit use like the HSP/IWC mounts do?

Plumber237
08-10-13, 23:39
I have never used a Thorntail, but I really like my Gear Sector mounts. Simple, low pro, and rugged.

+1 for this, I was gonna type the same thing. Plus if you're using the tangodown scar panels the Gear Sector mount sits flush with them. I had the exact setup with the G2X until I pulled the trigger on a mini scout.

jpeezy
08-11-13, 01:00
Had the same issue and went with the gear secor, never looked back.

dash1
08-11-13, 17:24
I have a Thorntail for my scout light, I like it.

Reading the reviews of the Gear Sector mount makes me want to get one too.

aaron_c
08-11-13, 19:07
I went ahead and placed my order from Gear Sector and WOW is their shipping fast! I placed the order late Friday night, almost Saturday morning. I got my tracking confirmation Saturday morning, and it says it should arrive tomorrow (just 2 days). Highly impressed. I also got their tool for removing the castle nut so I can install a Noveske QD end plate. I'll snap a few pics when everything comes in!

aaron_c
08-12-13, 17:59
Love this thing!! It still just barely touches the MBUS' deployment tab, but I can slide a piece of paper between there pretty easily which I couldn't do with the VTAC so I am good with it. This thing is amazingly solid compared to the VTAC as well (not a knock against the VTAC mount, but I could push this flashlight forward or backward if I really wanted, no matter how tight it was in there).

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/aaron_c_2006/20130812_174359_zpsf1d3ed6f.jpg~original

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/aaron_c_2006/20130812_174437_zps676ad459.jpg~original

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/aaron_c_2006/20130812_174558_LLS_zps60caa7d2.jpg

msstate56
08-20-13, 20:27
Seeing as the mbus is plastic, you can always sand a little off of the left tab. With the light in that position, you're not going to be using that tab anyway.

sorthcj
09-27-13, 19:16
The Gear Sector's seem like a great choice however I just recently purchased a Thorntail from Weapon Outfitters and am in love. I also have a G2X. Yes, the Thorntail is a pain to setup but once its in place its like a rock. Very solid no movement at all. The Thorntail appears to be a closer fit to the rail than the previous pics. Another advantage which was a major selling point for me is how far forward the Thorntail places the light. I have a 16" barrel and 12" rail and the light is almost even with my muzzle device.

denn1911
09-27-13, 20:12
Is the Gear mount tighter to the rail than the Haley?

sorthcj
09-27-13, 20:20
I believe from seeing the pics in this thread that the Thorntail fits tighter to the rail

denn1911
09-27-13, 20:25
I'm in the market to purchase a few light mounts. While researching both of these, I've read strong advantages of each. Pictures have been tough to tell which one of the two are the tightest to the rail. I'd like to keep my Scout lights as tight to the rail as possible. I've been hearing great reviews on both. Decisions, decisions..

Boba Fett v2
09-27-13, 22:04
I grabbed an M300A mini scout with a LaRue mount from a member here recently but plan to replace it with a Gear Sector since I want the light to be high mounted off-set. It will be mounted on the KAC URX II. The LaRue will be up for sale.

Slippers
09-27-13, 23:54
I actually have one of the new mod 1 Gear Sector scout mounts, and I also used to own two Thorntail scout mounts (one SBR, one normal).

The Thorntail rides very close to the rail because the part you screw the Scout light onto forms one half of the clamp.

The Gear Sector is just slightly further away, perhaps 1/8". So really not a huge difference.

The Thorntails occupy the entire rail forward of the clamp due to the way the mounting bracket works. Also, the Thorntail clamping design is quite poor. The screws only engage a few threads and are very easy to strip out, and they sit too low. This causes the screws to bite into the rail when you tighten the clamp down.

Despite the drawbacks, if it gives you proper light position, then there's no reason to pass as long as you're careful, but I personally find the GS perfect for my application, and I definitely like the clamping mechanism much more.

MountainRaven
09-28-13, 12:00
Over the past six years, I have used LaRue inline and off-set mounts, Danger Close Consulting mounts, the SureFire thumb screw mount, the Gear Sector, and the HSP Dropwing and Thorntail 1913 and -SBR.

I have long since sold the LTs, the DCC, and the Gear Sector. The Dropwing and the SureFires sit in my parts box. The Thorntails (1913 and SBR) are all that I use.

IMHO, the Dropwing will keep the light as close as possible to the rail with the Thorntail taking second place. For most applications, the Thorntail is going to be the better option of the two. For a long rail, I think the Thorntail 920 might be the best of all, but you're pretty much limited to the SureFire 920, 620, and 320 lights for that one. At which point you're already paying more for the SureFire factory throw lever mount.

Boba Fett v2
09-28-13, 13:01
I was interested in one of HSP mounts for an SBR, but it looked like it pushed the mini scout light further forward than I would like. I've actually seen a Surefire Scout (600 series) fail on my previous issue rig, which I suspect concussion from the muzzle blast may have been a contributing factor.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

El Cid
09-29-13, 10:25
I have both and for me it comes down to the length of the rifles handguard. I have long arms and in order to get maximum control I want the light as far forward as possible. The only reason I even bought the Thorntail is because our duty rifles have the 7" handguards. The Thorntail gets the light further forward than anything else I found.

I do think the nature of the Thorntails design makes it more prone to damage. Nothing scientific to back up that statement. Just knowing how leverage works it seems a good blow to that side if the rifle could do more damage than to a mount like the Gear Sector.

My Gear Sector mounts are tremendously strong and if I have a long enough handguard (and am not using a 12 o'clock mount) are my first choice hands down.

JTrusty
09-29-13, 16:51
I do think the nature of the Thorntails design makes it more prone to damage. Nothing scientific to back up that statement. Just knowing how leverage works it seems a good blow to that side if the rifle could do more damage than to a mount like the Gear Sector.

Not a dig at the Thorntail, however, our first design for an offset light mount was extremely similar to the IWC / Haley offerings ( I even discussed this with Earl from IWC ) in so much as it was a cantilevered unit that moved the light forward of the mounting location. We abandoned that initial design due to the exact weakness you allude to. When dropped even a short distance our prototypes would bend and render the light useless for target identification. It was our design intent to build a mount that would survive long after the light failed. Our current offerings do just that. I only wish I had recorded the destructive testing we put them through. Many a Surefire light was sent to an early grave. ( which for anyone that knows the durability of Surefire lights, that's saying something ) ;)

My Gear Sector mounts are tremendously strong and if I have a long enough handguard (and am not using a 12 o'clock mount) are my first choice hands down.

What most people don't know / realize is that we built our entire line of low profile components specifically for use on the limited space of a carbine length rail system and in the role they excel. Below is a picture of my SBR. You'll notice I have 5 components on a carbine length rail with almost no loss of "real estate" for placing my support hand. I run the light on the outboard side ( southpaw ) and activate it via a 12 o'clock mounted SR07 pressure switch. This allows me to activate light using my support hand regardless of which shoulder I happen to be shooting from with very little movement / shifting of my support grip.

http://photos.gearsector.com/galleries/Carbine%20Images/02.jpg

http://photos.gearsector.com/galleries/Carbine%20Images/01-0.jpg

Just thought I should clarify...

:)

Boba Fett v2
09-29-13, 18:26
Not a dig at the Thorntail, however, our first design for an offset light mount was extremely similar to the IWC / Haley offerings ( I even discussed this with Earl from IWC ) in so much as it was a cantilevered unit that moved the light forward of the mounting location. We abandoned that initial design due to the exact weakness you allude to. When dropped even a short distance our prototypes would bend and render the light useless for target identification. It was our design intent to build a mount that would survive long after the light failed. Our current offerings do just that. I only wish I had recorded the destructive testing we put them through. Many a Surefire light was sent to an early grave. ( which for anyone that knows the durability of Surefire lights, that's saying something ) ;)

What most people don't know / realize is that we built our entire line of low profile components specifically for use on the limited space of a carbine length rail system and in the role they excel. Below is a picture of my SBR. You'll notice I have 5 components on a carbine length rail with almost no loss of "real estate" for placing my support hand. I run the light on the outboard side ( southpaw ) and activate it via a 12 o'clock mounted SR07 pressure switch. This allows me to activate light using my support hand regardless of which shoulder I happen to be shooting from with very little movement / shifting of my support grip.

http://photos.gearsector.com/galleries/Carbine%20Images/02.jpg

http://photos.gearsector.com/galleries/Carbine%20Images/01-0.jpg

Just thought I should clarify...

:)

Okay. I'll buy one.

Trotter
09-30-13, 19:16
Gear Sector.

Jellybean
10-06-13, 20:29
Have an oldschool GS mount that you had to slide on for my Elzetta.
The thing has been rock solid, and horror of horrors, despite the fact that I never locktited it, it hasn't loosened up under use.
Not to mention they're so stupidly simple, how can you not want one?

That being said, if somone gave me a Haley mount, I wouldn't say no....

Boba Fett v2
10-06-13, 20:56
My GS mount arrived last Friday and it's good to go. Not disappointed in the least.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2