PDA

View Full Version : 22/410 recommendations

k9barco
08-09-13, 17:56
Wish I would have bought a Springfield armory m-6 scout rifle back in the day. Way too much for me to spend now as I can buy an AR for what they are currently going for.

Any recommendations for something similar for backpack carry, or if not, what fixed stock single shots does anyone like?

hickuleas
08-09-13, 19:38
Savage has a new 22/.410 over under gun. Not sure of model number but it is light weight gun. The M6 scouts can be bought at a fair price. I have had several and could never get used to the squeeze trigger.

k9barco
08-10-13, 09:17
Savage has a new 22/.410 over under gun. Not sure of model number but it is light weight gun. The M6 scouts can be bought at a fair price. I have had several and could never get used to the squeeze trigger.

Thanks I will check it out!

LonghunterCO
08-10-13, 10:04
Although the new Savage's look like they are probably good, I have been keeping my eyes out for older used Model 24. I am not sure if your choice of cal/guage is because that is what is available in new production or if that's what you what.

kittyhawk
08-10-13, 10:09
I have my granddads old Stevens over/under has a .22 barrel on top and 3", 410 shotgun on bottom. It breaks down for easy packing just like most over/under shotguns. It's what a grew up learning to shoot and hunt with. I have seen them pop up time to time at gun shows and pawn shops. I am currently looking for another for my nephew. I have seen the new savage and think its but ass ugly but it's probably a lot lighter than mine.

k9barco
08-10-13, 10:14
I have seen the new savage and think its but ass ugly but it's probably a lot lighter than mine.[/QUOTE]

I watched a youtube review and was not thrilled with the new savage; it's front sights look pretty wimpy.

LonghunterCO
08-10-13, 10:21
I agree with the looks on Savage's new offering. I passed on a 24 in 20guage/.22LR for $250. Got home and reserched what they were going for and about had a heart attack! Went back and it was gone.
I think that a 20guage/.22mag would be a better "all round setup" in a combo gun...YMMV.

k9barco
08-10-13, 10:29
I agree with the looks on Savage's new offering. I passed on a 24 in 20guage/.22LR for $250. Got home and reserched what they were going for and about had a heart attack! Went back and it was gone.
I think that a 20guage/.22mag would be a better "all round setup" in a combo gun...YMMV.

The more I research 22/410's , people seem to like the 22/20ga setup's more than the 410's.

LonghunterCO
08-10-13, 10:43
The more I research 22/410's , people seem to like the 22/20ga setup's more than the 410's.

That is probably true. I think that it depends on what your area of operation (that you foresee yourself using it in) is like. Which is why I stated your milage may very. A guy back east, or in a urban setting may find only have access to very small game additionally the lower report of the .22/.410 to be highly desirable. Out here things are bigger and often farther away. Hense my preference for something bigger.

ra2bach
08-10-13, 13:28
Rossi makes break open single shot with interchangeable barrels called matched "Pairs" and "Sets". I have the Youth Trifecta which is 20 GA, .22LR, and .243 however you can get them in just about any combination of shot gauge and rifle calibers including pistol calibers like .44 magnum

bought this for my son but he's outgrown it so now it's found life again as my light packing rifle. it's pretty accurate though a little light for a .243 --

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=82&category=2&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

http://www.rossiusa.com/images/imagesMain/S2022243YBS.jpg

k9barco
08-10-13, 15:38
That rossi did catch my eye and I think the price is very reasonable. I originally wanted a breakdown rifle for backpack carry but with the limited choices I may not be able to find one.

ra2bach
08-11-13, 08:40
That rossi did catch my eye and I think the price is very reasonable. I originally wanted a breakdown rifle for backpack carry but with the limited choices I may not be able to find one.

yeah, I think I paid $269 for the set at Dick's many years ago. it's easy to carry the gun set up with the .243 barrel and scope attached and the 20GA barrel and some shells in the pack.

I liked having the .22LR barrel as this was the trainer gun for my kids but don't use it much any more and would be happy with just one of the Matched Pairs now. Probably choose .223 and 20 GA...

k9barco
08-12-13, 23:44
yeah, I think I paid $269 for the set at Dick's many years ago. it's easy to carry the gun set up with the .243 barrel and scope attached and the 20GA barrel and some shells in the pack.

I liked having the .22LR barrel as this was the trainer gun for my kids but don't use it much any more and would be happy with just one of the Matched Pairs now. Probably choose .223 and 20 GA...

Does the Rossi fold in half for backpack carry with the barrel attached?

crusader377
08-13-13, 00:08
Why not just carry a quality semi-auto pistol such as a Glock 19 or S&W M&P with 2-3 magazines. You are still lighter than any .22/.410and you can defend yourself better against four legged and more importantly two legged predators better.

ra2bach
08-13-13, 10:24
Does the Rossi fold in half for backpack carry with the barrel attached?

no but it separates as in the pics above. at this point the barrel is the longest part. I have the youth model so it's pretty short and light so I just carry the gun assembled with the barrel/caliber I anticipate needing most accessible and a few rounds in a pocket or pouch.

the other barrel and ammo rides in the pack. obviously the shotgun barrel is lightest but ammo is heavier so it's a trade off..