PDA

View Full Version : Dekalb County Sheriffs Dept

platoonDaddy
08-10-13, 06:34
The officers certainly have a duty to police themselves, that didn't occur here, at least from the video.

DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. (CBS Atlanta) - ”At around 1:30am [sic] my family and I were awaken [sic] by the sound of loud and aggressive banging at our front door. The [a]ggressive nature of the banging frightened us so I walked into the guest room that looks over the front of our house and was shocked when I saw 3 large DeKalb County Sheriff SUV’s with large flood lights pointed at our house and windows.”

article with shorter video:
http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2013/08/08/video-dekalb-county-sheriffs-department-entered-my-familys-home-illegally/

Longer video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F7zYKgDTuDA

Edit: googled [sic] - Used in brackets after a copied or quoted word that appears odd or erroneous to show that the word is quoted exactly as it stands in the...

NCPatrolAR
08-10-13, 06:59
So someone with a warrant had it served on them at 1:30am? If its like most agencies, the deputies that used "inappropriate language" (going off news article) will get written up for conducting unbecoming and given 3-5 days off. All of that happens long after the video stops.

platoonDaddy
08-10-13, 07:35
So someone with a warrant had it served on them at 1:30am? If its like most agencies, the deputies that used "inappropriate language" (going off news article) will get written up for conducting unbecoming and given 3-5 days off. All of that happens long after the video stops.

The article states: He (Hall) also claims that the police did not have a search warrant.

Not sure whom to believe on this.

Hmac
08-10-13, 07:46
I thought that I read that it wasn't a search warrant, but an arrest warrant.

platoonDaddy
08-10-13, 08:24
I thought that I read that it wasn't a search warrant, but an arrest warrant.

1:40 into the following video, states they had a warrant to arrest the mother for not paying a civil fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D__Py6mpTI

NCPatrolAR
08-10-13, 08:45
1:40 into the following video, states they had a warrant to arrest the mother for not paying a civil fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D__Py6mpTI

I'm not seeing the issue with no search warrant being present

Iraqgunz
08-10-13, 14:49
Aren't there basic rules that establish times for service of search warrants and arrest warrants? I'm pretty sure there are. I am failing to understand why failure to pay a fine couldn't be handled at a reasonable time.

RalphK.
08-10-13, 14:52
Yes...in the wee bit hours of the morning when the target(s) are home and hopefully asleep.

No there's no set timeframe.

Alaskapopo
08-10-13, 15:12

Here we can serve standard warrants between 7am and 10pm. You can get a warrant to serve it any time of the day or night but you need to justify why you need that to the judge. 3 to 5 days off for swearing? Ouch. That is more of a verbal counseling type issue in my opinion depending on the severity and the totality of the situation.

Edited just realized this was an arrest warrant. We can serve those 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The late hour is sometimes necessary as people with warrants usually try to hide and be difficult to contact.
Pat

NCPatrolAR
08-10-13, 16:06
Aren't there basic rules that establish times for service of search warrants and arrest warrants? I'm pretty sure there are. I am failing to understand why failure to pay a fine couldn't be handled at a reasonable time.

Some places have restrictions on when search warrants are served (outside of special situations), but I dont know of any place that limits when arrest warrants are served.

You dont have 3 marked units with lights going, spotlights shining in the windows, etc for a simple attempt at serving a warrant. I wonder what happened before the camera started rolling

Moose-Knuckle
08-10-13, 16:37
Sorry but I really don't care to take the time to watch the vids.

The article stated:

They also admitted that the language used – which also included racial slurs – was inappropriate,

So for those that watched the vids were there any racial slurs? If so what race were the home residents? I get the idea that the home owner felt they had the wrong address, any truth to this or just deflection?

I too would like to know what got the ball rolling, it coulde be another case were they got the wrong place but not enough info in the article.

platoonDaddy
08-10-13, 17:05
So for those that watched the vids were there any racial slurs? If so what race were the home residents? I get the idea that the home owner felt they had the wrong address, any truth to this or just deflection?

I too would like to know what got the ball rolling, it could be another case were they got the wrong place but not enough info in the article.

They had the correct address, with a civil warrant for the mother. The occupants of the home are white.

As for the racial slur: I didn't watch the full 19 minutes and didn't hear one. But there are references to one of the officers using the 'n' word. Of course I haven't verified, just too much garbage going on.

Alaskapopo
08-10-13, 17:13
They had the correct address, with a civil warrant for the mother. The occupants of the home are white.

As for the racial slur: I didn't watch the full 19 minutes and didn't hear one. But there are references to one of the officers using the 'n' word. Of course I haven't verified, just too much garbage going on.

Did not realize they used the N word that would be justified for some time on the beach without pay.
Pat

Moose-Knuckle
08-10-13, 17:33

Good to know thanks for the info, perhaps this was just a warrant round up and she was next on the list.

platoonDaddy
08-10-13, 18:53
Sitting here with olives, I wasted 19 plus minutes. Earlier reports had the family as being white. Watching the total video, I would say the mother is dark skinned, don't know about the two brothers. For sure some of the officers are black. Never heard the 'N' word as published in the intro to the video.

13:50 LEO: as a black man, y'all set us back 45 years, this bullshit right here."

14:47 LEO: "I'll be hurt if your don't go to jail, my fellings will be hurt if your don't go to jail." "where ya ID at, Don't start crying."

14:21 LEO: "That ****er over there in the grey"

18:53 LEO: "I wish we could CANE both of y'all though"

Last paragraph of news article: Authorities, however, told WGCL that they did have a warrant for Griffin’s arrest for failure to pay a civil fine. They also admitted that the language used – which also included racial slurs – was inappropriate, but that no excessive force was implemented in her apprehension.
http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2013/08/08/video-dekalb-county-sheriffs-department-entered-my-familys-home-illegally/

BIGUGLY
08-10-13, 20:01
For minor offenses yeah you usually wait for normal time of day, or find a phone number call them. Then if they are an ass on the phone or hang up on you then well we assumed it was on and they would not come in on their own and you can assume that the time of day or if they were busy was not a concern for the leo dealing with them.

Yes most of the time a phone call could take car of the issue, if the person is a frequent offender or a know problem then making things inconvenient for them can and usually will happen.

ryr8828
08-11-13, 05:25
Stupidity isn't a new thing, it's been around for years.

While doing a job at a power plant out of state years ago, and staying in my camper in a trailer park in Podunk USA, I had someone banging on my door screaming OPEN UP at midnight. No cell phones back then so I could call the cops.
I very nearly drew down on a deputy sheriff serving me papers notifying me of a hearing for a child support increase. No lights, no "this is the police", not shit but OPEN UP. When I say very nearly, lights out,gun in my hand, ready to raise and fire when I opened the door from the side. Saw badge and dropped gun on couch.

Never mind that I was avoiding no one and went back home every weekend.
Never mind that I was back at my trailer every day by 4:30 pm after work.
Cop said he had to serve me at midnight because I was never home. Yeah, right. I called him a liar from inside of my trailer, he served me and left.

Unneeded drama due to stupid ex wife, her stupid lawyer jacking the bill up by serving me out of state instead of at my home on the weekend, and stupid podunk local cop wanting to **** with the new guy in town.

kwelz
08-11-13, 10:48
Watched the video. Can't speak for anything leading up to it but the police sound like eneducated thugs on the video. If someone talking like that banged on my door in e middle of the night I don't care if they had a spotlight shinning in my house. I would doubt they were cops.

11B101ABN
08-12-13, 08:29
I policed in that area for a bit. I have to say that while doing so, I was never really impressed with the SO, it's employees, or the Sheriff.

The County PD guys were on point and pretty sharp, at least in the precinct area I operated in.

This seemed kind of silly: blue lights on for a warrant service. I will say this though, no warrant service should ever be approached in a lackadaisical manner, but that does not mean that the serving deputy or officer should be a straight up dick. I was always told that we(deputies) are above that nonsense.