PDA

View Full Version : Tempur-Pedic Beds

mildot
08-10-13, 07:21
So it's about that time for a new bed. These beds represent a sizable investment, however that's not the real deciding factor. I'm interested to know how other owners feel about sleeping on the bed?and about the investment?. The beds have a 25yr warranty, and I have lied on one at the store, it felt very good. Thanks

Honu
08-10-13, 07:29
wife and I been looking at a new bed
http://www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-forum.html

we might be going with a latex one this time around

a few friends have had the tempr and so so on how they last before they start to develop the dips but they would buy them again ! so that is a good thing
seems some have had them close to ten years and OK but forming dips some less time ?
so even 10 years aint to bad anymore

read the warranty careful they wont honor it and have ways of getting out ! they found that out with the dips !
not saying dont get it just read some on that forum also the other beds are the same ways ! I think things are just not made the same anymore sadly :(

montanadave
08-10-13, 08:18
I like the feel of the Tempur-Pedic but I sleep "hot" and they cook me right out of the bed. I think some manufacturers of "memory foam" mattresses have made some modifications to mitigate this issue, but I don't know the specifics.

Our last mattress purchase was 5-6 years ago and we dithered over the Tempur-Pedic, but ultimately went with a latex mattress. It was a good choice for us. My wife has rheumatoid arthritis and the bed is comfortable for her. And I can get a decent night's sleep without sweating through the sheets.

Tempur-Pedic certainly has its share of ardent supporters. At the price they're asking, they should. In some ways, I suspect Tempur-Pedic is kind of the Bose of mattresses (i.e. very strong marketing, very high price point, and a customer base that has paid the freight and is vociferous in defending their purchase).

That said, I think they make a decent product. I'm just not sure they are worth what they're asking. There are other manufacturers who now carry "memory foam" products and there are also hybrid mattresses available. All for considerably less money.

HackerF15E
08-10-13, 08:43
I have a real Tempur-Pedic, and it is hands down the BEST bed I have EVER slept on.

Big investment, but completely worth it for me. YMMV.

Pork Chop
08-10-13, 08:56
My wife and I just purchased a Tempurpedic over Memorial weekend.

Anybody who thinks its all hype and pure marketing needs to sleep on one for a month or two and then reevaluate their unsubstantiated opinion. They MAY come to the same conclusion, but I highly doubt it. :)

My wife and I both suffer from old injuries and general aches and pains associated with not being 21 anymore. We debated a LONG time over getting one of these because of the sizable investment, but, after sleeping on one for a few months, my shoulder pain has all but gone away and my wife's general aches have drastically reduced.

The marketing may have worked on us, but pain is real and sleeping until 9 am if the kids don't get us up first hasn't been a reality for a decade. I used to wake up around 6-7 am if left to wake on my own, but now I have slept REALLY late if no one wakes me and I know it's due to being totally relaxed and comfortable.

In regards to sleeping hot, I'm a human oven when I sleep, so our salesman recommended the "breeze" option on our Tempurpedic, which is a cool gel layer or some such. Whatever it is, it works. I sleep without sweating now, too, which is a dream in and of its own.

If I had to buy another bed right now, I wouldn't care if I had to pay double what the Tempurpedics cost, I'd pay it. Quality rest and waking without pain has a value all it's own.

I hope you get one, you won't regret it.

ForTehNguyen
08-10-13, 09:06
i can see them being attractive for people with sleep problems on conventional mattresses. Not for everyone. I never had experience with one, I dont have sleep problems now.

bzdog
08-10-13, 09:15
After a lot of research we purchased a latex bed that is similar to the memory foam w/o the memory. We find it is a sizable improvement over high quality traditional mattresses. My wife had back pain with every other high quality traditional mattress we tried, but not with the foam.

It is, as noted, a fair amount warmer than a traditional mattresses, so people who get hot easily while sleeping should proceed carefully.

It is also very heavy, although that doesn't matter much except it is more work to install and takes a bit more effort when making the bed.

As for price, we did a lot of research and purchased a different brand. It was still expensive but substantially cheaper than the Temperpedic. IMO it was worth the premium over a traditional mattress.

I'll don't recall the brand off the top of my head but I'll try to look it up.

-john

.46caliber
08-10-13, 09:25
We've got one and have really liked it. The wife loves it. I toss and turn a lot and if I land in a weird position, I'll wake up stiff. If I stay on my back or sides, it's damn good sleep.

We have never felt hot, but we keep the house at 70 always and sleep with the ceiling fan on.

In-laws paid the extra 3 grand or so for the electric features and haven't used them since they first bought it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

bzdog
08-10-13, 09:29
The one we got was by a company called Bragada (bragada.com) and the model Astoria. You'd need to research to make sure they still have a decent rep.

We paid $2251 in March 2009.

-john

jmoore
08-10-13, 09:59
I do not own one - nor have I slept on one.

Friends who have had them complain that......

1. They are not for "hot" sleepers.

2. If you are sexually active - and I mean "active" - they are too soft to "push" against. YMMV:)

john

WillBrink
08-10-13, 10:09
So it's about that time for a new bed. These beds represent a sizable investment, however that's not the real deciding factor. I'm interested to know how other owners feel about sleeping on the bed?and about the investment?. The beds have a 25yr warranty, and I have lied on one at the store, it felt very good. Thanks

Went looking for a Tempur pedic, but ended up with a Strobel. To me, the Strobel is the best mix of memory foam and traditional mattress. Tempur pedic is a big block of memory foam which you sink into. The Strobel is memory foam, a suspension system under that, and another form of foam with a stiffer consistency under that.

My side by side comparisons left me preferring the Strobel myself. I now own 4 of them in different sizes, and 10 years + experience with them, will sleep on nothing else if given the choice.

When I first purchased one, they were difficult to find and I found them totally by mistake. Now a number of mainstream places carry them so you can go try one and compare yourself.

And they cost a tad less than the Temper P to boot. :cool:

http://www.strobel.com/

jet66
08-10-13, 10:12
We ended up going with a BeautyRest ComforPedic (Balanced Days model) over a TempurPedic. It stays pretty cool, I'm also a hot sleeper. The Tempurpedics were just a bit more firm than we liked, although my mother-in-law has one and she loves it. Bottom line, I think there are a lot of really good choices out there, you really need to just lay on a few and see what one you really like.

The various foam and gel mattresses of quality aren't cheap, but I can definitely never go back to ye olde inner spring type of mattress after having the ComforPedic for the past few months. My wife usually balks at spending a lot of money on anything, so the idea of spending $2500 or so on a bed made her go 'whaaaat?' Until she laid on it for a few minutes, then she was like 'we'll take it.'

Belmont31R
08-10-13, 10:14
We have one, and its a bit too firm for our taste after having had it since 2007. But I am not sure all the different models feel the same. We ended up spending a few hundred on a topper to soften the feel up some. And yes they are hot. The topper helped.

Sex is fine on it. Ours you don't sink into but you don't get the spring reflex of a traditional bed.

Moose-Knuckle
08-10-13, 16:53
I do not own one - nor have I slept on one.

Friends who have had them complain that......

1. They are not for "hot" sleepers.

2. If you are sexually active - and I mean "active" - they are too soft to "push" against. YMMV:)

john

Thanks you saved me time and money.

I can get up from sitting on the couch and I could fry an egg where I was just sitting. I sleep in the raw even in the dead of winter and the wife and I have a healthy love life so these beds are a no go for me. When I go to bed after her she wakes up and starts bitching how hot I make it though in the winter she appreciates it, I'm a freaking blast furnace . . . :D

HackerF15E
08-10-13, 18:33
FWIW, I don't understand the people who say they have trouble with sex on a Tempur-Pedic. I don't see how "they are too soft to push against".

Personally, I prefer it recreationally to the "regular" bed I used to have, mostly because it does not translate motion -- it does not "bounce" or jiggle back and forth. The very dense foam absorbs the motion.

In addition, I am a hot sleeper and I, personally, think the T-P bed keeps me cooler than a traditional pillow-top matress.

Not sure why so many people report these two issues, because my experiences have been exactly the opposite in both categories.

Moose-Knuckle
08-10-13, 18:45
FWIW, I don't understand the people who say they have trouble with sex on a Tempur-Pedic. I don't see how "they are too soft to push against".

Personally, I prefer it recreationally to the "regular" bed I used to have, mostly because it does not translate motion -- it does not "bounce" or jiggle back and forth. The very dense foam absorbs the motion.

In addition, I am a hot sleeper and I, personally, think the T-P bed keeps me cooler than a traditional pillow-top matress.

Not sure why so many people report these two issues, because my experiences have been exactly the opposite in both categories.

We have an high end pillow top w/ memory foam and an expensive mattress protector. Just those two things make me sleep under a ceiling fan and a stand fan. As for the other issue, I find the bed to be boring any how but this isn't the forum for Moose-Knuckle's Guide to the Kama Sutra. :cool:

HackerF15E
08-10-13, 18:54
We have an high end pillow top w/ memory foam and an expensive mattress protector. Just those two things make me sleep under a ceiling fan and a stand fan. As for the other issue, I find the bed to be boring any how but this isn't the forum for Moose-Knuckle's Guide to the Kama Sutra. :cool:

I guess what I was saying was that your previous post -- which disregarded the T-P bed because it was supposedly "too hot" for hot sleepers and awkward for sexual use -- is based off an opinion that doesn't match my experience with the T-P bed, and is in fact quite opposite of my experiences with the T-P bed.

I've used other memory foam mattress toppers, and IMHO none of them even approach the same comfort and feeling of the real T-P mattress.

Honu
08-10-13, 19:00
we have a memory foam setup now ? not a tempr but another brand

we have 2 kids :) enough said

I sleep with just a sheet and the wife sleeps with a down comforter ? hot for me not the wife ?

still want to get a latex this time around :)

Moose-Knuckle
08-10-13, 19:05
I guess what I was saying was that your previous post -- which disregarded the T-P bed because it was supposedly "too hot" for hot sleepers . . .

When I make a big puchase I go by word of mouth. I believe you are the first person to say that the TP is not an issue for you when it comes to being hot.

Call me Goldilocks . . . :D

HackerF15E
08-10-13, 19:45
I believe you are the first person to say that the TP is not an issue for you when it comes to being hot.

You mean with the exception of the two other people in this very thread that said that?

I sleep without sweating now, too, which is a dream in and of its own.

We have never felt hot

Moose-Knuckle
08-10-13, 19:53
You mean with the exception of the two other people in this very thread that said that?

Guess I missed those, but I'll contend the lot of you are not as hot natured as I? As a consumer when I hear other hot natured people comment I take note.

BIGUGLY
08-10-13, 19:53
I liked a tempur pedic but it was hard for my wife and I to decide on what kind of firmness we both liked. We eventually bought a sleep number with a memory foam top. So far had the bed about 7 months.

I can honestly say it is awesome. I don't get sweaty and I did on our last bed. Also after finding the right level of firmness my wife's shoulder no longer hurts and my lower back is much better. So far 8 years with 24lbs of gear cinched around my waist had pretty much started to wreck my lower back to the point if I fell asleep on my side I would wake up with a limp and an extremely sore and tight lower back.

After about three weeks on our sleep number my lower back felt great.

Something I just saw was Tempur pedic now has adjustable levels although Im guessing its around 6 6to 7 grand just like their top of the line beds. I think we paid around 3 grand for our bed.

montanadave
08-10-13, 19:59
Guess I missed those, but I'll contend the lot of you are not as hot natured as I? As a consumer when I hear other hot natured people comment I take note.

Hey, whoa thar, WTF? You insinuatin' I'm "hot natured," pardnuh? :D

Moose-Knuckle
08-10-13, 20:15
Hey, whoa thar, WTF? You insinuatin' I'm "hot natured," pardnuh? :D

Nah, I meant to say the three gents who said they were not hot on a TP bed were not hot natured as guys like you and me Dave, I guess it's that third leg we have in common that generates so much heat . . . :p

HackerF15E
08-10-13, 20:22
Nah, I meant to say the three gents who said they were not hot on a TP bed were not hot natured as guys like you and me Dave,

I think what it more means is that the data conflicts and doesn't paint a clear picture that anyone can hang their hat on toward one side or the other. Clearly there are differences in how different folks see it, and those differences are obviously because we only have our own experiences to draw on and compare to. I'm a hot sleeper -- my wife calls me "the furnace" because of how hot I get when I sleep -- but none of us have any objective data to compare and contrast.

I'd say that, if you are serious about evaluating the options (rather than viewing the opinions you say you value through your own confirmation bias), try one out and see how it works for you.

http://www.tempurpedic.com/Shopping-With-Us/ninety-night-tryout.asp

Some people adjust to a new mattress faster than others. We want to be sure you have the time to get your best night’s sleep, every night. So when you buy direct from us, we give you 90 nights to try sleeping on your new mattress.

Here’s how it works:

Buy a Tempur-Pedic® mattress from us, on our website or by phone.
We'll deliver your mattress and set it up in your home.
Sleep on our new mattress for 30 nights to get used to the amazing comfort and support it offers.
If you're not happy in the first 90 days after your purchase, call us. Our Customer Service staff will work with you to answer your questions and resolve your concerns.
If we can't find a way to make you happy, we'll take the mattress back and reimburse your purchase price, less the initial shipping costs.

jmoore
08-10-13, 20:31
On a tagential note.......

For those with "younger" wives..........

Just wait til menopause hits:). The one good thing about it is that you AND your wife will always agree that wherever you are - "it's too damn hot"!!!!!!!!!:)

John

montanadave
08-10-13, 20:38
I'm a hot sleeper -- my wife calls me "the furnace" because of how hot I get when I sleep -- but none of us have any objective data to compare and contrast.

I see only one way to settle this here dispute about who's the "hottest" sleeper. We're just gonna have to have a sleepover at Hacker's house.

But I'll be damned if I'm gonna sleep in the middle! :D

As for the menopause comment. I'm livin' that dream right now.

jet66
08-10-13, 20:47
On a tagential note.......

For those with "younger" wives..........

Just wait til menopause hits:). The one good thing about it is that you AND your wife will always agree that wherever you are - "it's too damn hot"!!!!!!!!!:)

John

As for the menopause comment. I'm livin' that dream right now.
Me too! It's the first time I've ever woke up at night going 'it's too damn cold in here,' and turned the temp on the AC up.

Now as far as the TempurPedic being hot, I can't attest to that as I have never spent the night in one, I'm only saying that the ComforPedic stays very cool for me. I'm nursing a possible torn meniscus right now, and when I would normally have a constant pain/agitation, I would get so hot while sleeping that I would sweat in my old bed (inner spring) pretty bad. With this bed, only my pillow ends up soaking wet. I am such a hot sleeper (how hot of a sleeper are you?) that until the menopausal thing hit, my wife would huddle up to me for warmth.

Pork Chop
08-10-13, 22:04
Nah, I meant to say the three gents who said they were not hot on a TP bed were not hot natured as guys like you and me Dave, I guess it's that third leg we have in common that generates so much heat . . . :p

I normally feel like a blast furnace with a molten lava topping when I sleep. The Tempurpedic we got with the cool feature (they call it breeze) was a miracle. We also sprung for ridiculously expensive cool gel pillows that were worth EVERY LAST PENNY.

I've drank the kool aid. I'll never be without one ever again.

montanadave
08-10-13, 22:15
I normally feel like a blast furnace with a molten lava topping when I sleep. The Tempurpedic we got with the cool feature (they call it breeze) was a miracle. We also sprung for ridiculously expensive cool gel pillows that were worth EVERY LAST PENNY.

I've drank the kool aid. I'll never be without one ever again.

The "Breeze" feature actually looks pretty cool (no pun intended). We'll probably give Tempur-Pedic a second look if we get our cabin built and are shopping for another mattress set.

Pork Chop
08-10-13, 22:25
The "Breeze" feature actually looks pretty cool (no pun intended). We'll probably give Tempur-Pedic a second look if we get our cabin built and are shopping for another mattress set.

Find a knowledgable salesperson that can show you and explain the various models. My wife and I agree on the benefits of the cool gel, but we differ on the softness we prefer.

She wants it marshmallow soft, I prefer just a bit firmer. We ended up getting the next one down from the softest model. After having it a few months, I could've probably handled the cloud lux (softest model). I'm happy and prefer the one we got, but the softer models really shine if you have sore joints/injuries because of their squishy nature and the way that that helps relieve pressure points by spreading out your body weight.

We did not get the hospital bed electric frame. Not sure if its worth the cost or not?

jhs1969
08-10-13, 23:50
We had the sleep number for nearly 3 years. After getting a divorce I gave the sleep number to the ex, glad to get rid of both :p

The damn sleep number killed my back, never woke up without a twisted back. Got the tempur-pedic a couple of month ago and have not had a screwed up back in the morning since.

A larger price tag than I would have preferred but my back loves me for it.

jet66
08-11-13, 06:28
We also sprung for ridiculously expensive cool gel pillows that were worth EVERY LAST PENNY.

I need to do this, too. My old pillows definitely don't seem to be as comfortable with the new foam mattress.

Koshinn
08-11-13, 06:36
We also sprung for ridiculously expensive cool gel pillows that were worth EVERY LAST PENNY.

What is this black magic? Where can I buy some?

jmoore
08-11-13, 08:09
Folks keep talking about the increased cost. What kind of ballpark are we talking about? john

mildot
08-11-13, 08:10
The model I'm looking at is around $3500 plus tax, they go up from there. BTW Thanks for all the comments!

jet66
08-11-13, 08:29
The ComforPedic Daily Balance in king size cost about $2600 out the door, including tax, frame, delivery, set up, etc.

Pork Chop
08-11-13, 09:35
What is this black magic? Where can I buy some?
We got ours at Slumberland. I can't remember if the pillows were made by Tempurpedic or another brand name, but they were over $100 each for king size pillows. They rock, though! Always cool to the touch, even after/during sleep on them.

Folks keep talking about the increased cost. What kind of ballpark are we talking about? john

I believe ours was around $4500 before sales incentives. It's a king size.

We bought ours during a holiday sale, over Memorial Day, and they were running some great specials. I think we got $700 off the bed, plus $300 in store credit toward pillows, etc. plus free delivery/removal and zero interest financing for those who care to finance.

One thing for those looking at these beds, you'll be required to buy a high quality moisture proof cover to get your full warranty. Evidently, moisture is Tempurpedic kryptonite.

Frailer
08-11-13, 11:56
I loved our Tempur-Pedic, but my wife--as others have mentioned--found it to be much too "hot." It now resides in the guest bedroom.

I don't know anything about a "breeze" feature , but this might be the way to go.

RogerinTPA
08-11-13, 13:16
I spent a weekend sleeping on one visiting a friend and although I got a good nights rest, I found it to be an oven for me. I had to turn the ceiling fan on mid-speed to eventually fall asleep. After sleeping on numerous Sleep Number beds in various hotels throughout the years in my former airline career, I went with the Sleep Number king size, with adjustable firmness selection on each side, and haven't looked back. My girlfriend likes her side with the firmness of a hardwood floor, so it works out.

Vic303
08-11-13, 19:01
We couldn't afford the expense of a Tempur mattress, but loved the memory foam, so we got a clone, called Spirit Sleep. We use the factory Terricloth protector on the mattress and it goes a long way to mitigating the heat factor. It is an extremely comfortable mattress, and we have had it for about 7 years now with no signs of wear.

RIDE
08-11-13, 19:08
I have the real tempurpedic mattress, and have been enjoying it for the last 2.5 years. It's fantastic. We have like the third up front he bottom model, stays cool, feels great. It's some cash.. But worth it IMO.

Now.. I have heard there are some Chinese knock-offs that one would be hard pressed to tell the difference on, I haven't seen nor tried them myself, but for $600 delivered vs $2800.. It would be worth looking into.

jmp45
08-12-13, 08:11
Ride, we went on the cheap. Our son has a tempur pedic, we rested this weekend on it. A couple of years ago we did some searching purchased a 12" king spa sensation from walmart for like $420. We figured if it didn't work out, no huge loss. Plenty of good reviews too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-Memory-Foam-Mattress/7695951

We can't tell the difference. Firmness is about the same. This Chinese mattress does have an odd odor at first, it fades and really isn't offensive. It comes compressed in a bag. We were able to load in the back seat of a Honda Accord unboxed. Unpacking it seemed no matter which way you do it, you have to flip it. Two years of use so far it's held up well, haven't noticed any change yet.

Now.. I have heard there are some Chinese knock-offs that one would be hard pressed to tell the difference on, I haven't seen nor tried them myself, but for $600 delivered vs $2800.. It would be worth looking into.

munch520
08-12-13, 12:00
We couldn't afford the expense of a Tempur mattress, but loved the memory foam, so we got a clone, called Spirit Sleep. We use the factory Terricloth protector on the mattress and it goes a long way to mitigating the heat factor. It is an extremely comfortable mattress, and we have had it for about 7 years now with no signs of wear.

To that end, what are the major differences between TempurPedic and the knockoffs? We're building a house and I was furniture shopping for it over the weekend - we need 1-2 new mattresses and the Tempur copies that were at Value City/Ashley furniture were pretty damn comfortable. About 50% the cost too.

jmp45
08-12-13, 12:58
To that end, what are the major differences between TempurPedic and the knockoffs? We're building a house and I was furniture shopping for it over the weekend - we need 1-2 new mattresses and the Tempur copies that were at Value City/Ashley furniture were pretty damn comfortable. About 50% the cost too.

We have a knock off and have quite a few weekends on a Tempur. We can't tell the difference.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-Memory-Foam-Mattress/7695951

mildot
08-18-13, 20:04
Well I'm going on my second night, it's been one of the best sleeps I've had in awhile. the old mattress was in pretty bad shape mine you. The "jury's still out" where the wife's concerned, but I'm looking forward to another good nights sleep. YMMV. Thanks to all that contributed!! it was a good read!!.

.46caliber
08-18-13, 20:21
Well I'm going on my second night, it's been one of the best sleeps I've had in awhile. the old mattress was in pretty bad shape mine you. The "jury's still out" where the wife's concerned, but I'm looking forward to another good nights sleep. YMMV. Thanks to all that contributed!! it was a good read!!.

Wait till it breaks in some. If its too stiff for the wife, she can walk around on her side to speed up the break-in.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

HackerF15E
08-18-13, 21:04
If its too stiff for the wife

So to speak...

lethal dose
08-18-13, 21:12
Simmons beauty rest. Hands down. Research them. Amazing beds. I roast half to death in tempurpedic or memory foam beds.