PDA

View Full Version : a muzzle brake you have never seen, LOL

Paraclete comes
08-10-13, 14:34
So i got a new muzzle brake put on my rifle and have a smile on my face every time I shoot it!

www.harrisongear.com

very creative and well priced for the amount of material and machine work, makes you wonder when you spend the same for a regular mini flash hider or brake like a vortex or SF. Not that I don't like either as I own both as well. Just goes to show you how much margin is in stuff.

thopkins22
08-10-13, 15:11
I feel like that thing was made with the sole purpose of ****ing with me.

At first I thought it was something like that new brake Sig is putting on their little SMG to permanently attach to what would have been an SBR and then allow you to form 4 a cover as a suppressor. But nope.

Hope you dig it though.

kest_01
08-10-13, 15:22
Holy Christ that thing is huge.

Kain
08-10-13, 16:07
I feel like that thing was made with the sole purpose of ****ing with me.

At first I thought it was something like that new brake Sig is putting on their little SMG to permanently attach to what would have been an SBR and then allow you to form 4 a cover as a suppressor. But nope.

Hope you dig it though.

You weren't the only one. I had the same thought.

TehLlama
08-10-13, 16:33
I can't buy one of those, as the temptation to just welt a tube to it and Form1 myself a can would be too great.

Col_Crocs
08-10-13, 17:34
^ right? There is no practical use for that thing outside of a tube.

308sako
08-10-13, 19:41
I agree with what everyone "sees" here as a temptation to complete, modify or build an NFA item... however; it would be cost effective in some circumstances. How decent the suppression would be would of course remain to be tested.

Glad I have the stamps I want already as the indefinite waiting periods being reported are at sinful proportions.

Paraclete comes
08-10-13, 20:10
well I will let you know as I shoot it more, lol. If you happen to live in a free state a few I know of have passed the free firearms act, you guys might want to look it up. I called the ATF to ask there opinion, spoke to a lady she wasn't sure so she transfered me and ive been waiting on a call back. Nothing yet

Paraclete comes
08-10-13, 20:12
However, this would be a good item to just have on the shelf. With so many uses and the excellent braking capabilities it has are great!:D

Zane1844
08-10-13, 20:13
Because recoil from 5.56 is too much. :D

cutter_spc
08-10-13, 21:24
My GOD! How much does that thing weigh? It's made of steel!

foxtrotx1
08-10-13, 22:21
What a pointless item. Created for the 11.5 inch permanent welded flash hider to 16inch brigade no doubt.

GH41
08-11-13, 06:47
If it gets bad enough that the law doesn't matter anymore... It would make improvising easy. GH

scoutfsu99
08-11-13, 07:41
Personally, I like the backwards front DD sight in the picture.

ETA: Not that I have a problem with a front sight mounted opposite of its intended position....if that person can articulate the need and why.

Paraclete comes
08-11-13, 08:46
If it gets bad enough that the law doesn't matter anymore... It would make improvising easy. GH

lol, i think thats what a few folks thought

Paraclete comes
08-11-13, 08:49
just noticed that myself, only thing I could think of is well a bit more streamlined should it catch or hit something? But really not sure, I guess it still operates that way though, lol.

Personally, I like the backwards front DD sight in the picture.

ETA: Not that I have a problem with a front sight mounted opposite of its intended position....if that person can articulate the need and why.

scoutfsu99
08-11-13, 10:37
just noticed that myself, only thing I could think of is well a bit more streamlined should it catch or hit something? But really not sure, I guess it still operates that way though, lol.

I know some people do it with flip down sights due to having PEQ's, lights, switches, etc mounted. I don't think I've seen a fixed sight purposely turned around though...

eodinert
08-11-13, 10:38
My favorite line: "7.62x51/.308 muzzle brake, threaded in the standard 5/8x25 thread pitch which is standard on the AR-10/SR25"

Almost.

Arkady
08-11-13, 10:43
Considering that he also sells 80% receivers, I think it's a pretty safe bet that this thing has the same design intent.

Tubing is easy.

_Stormin_
08-11-13, 10:54
I've never really been a fan of large muzzle devices to bring a rife up to legal length. Always just struck me as silly because of the added weight without the added benefits of a longer barrel (bullet velocity). If you have to have 16 inches, you might as well benefit from it.

PLA
08-11-13, 11:54
So, someone correct me if Im wrong but the only thing between this and a suppresor is the outer tube?

SeriousStudent
08-11-13, 12:16
Gents, here's a thoughtful reminder about NFA items. Let's NOT talk about how to make something that requires fees paid and federal paperwork, without doing the proper paperwork.

https://www.m4carbine.net/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item

"Please do not post information on illegal modifications to firearms"

By "please" we mean if you do this, we will boot you out of here. M4C's policy on illegal acts is clear, and violations are dealt with by banning people.

The more you know.....

Paraclete comes
08-11-13, 12:19
lol someone was up late at night without coffee updating the website, lol. :laugh:

My favorite line: "7.62x51/.308 muzzle brake, threaded in the standard 5/8x25 thread pitch which is standard on the AR-10/SR25"

Almost.

Paraclete comes
08-11-13, 12:22
agreed but I know more than a few folks that got dirty deals on short uppers and now need to make them legal so they can put them together and go and shoot them. Not ideal by any means but legal if you weld or pin or however you permanently attach it.

I've never really been a fan of large muzzle devices to bring a rife up to legal length. Always just struck me as silly because of the added weight without the added benefits of a longer barrel (bullet velocity). If you have to have 16 inches, you might as well benefit from it.

Koshinn
08-11-13, 12:25
Gents, here's a thoughtful reminder about NFA items. Let's NOT talk about how to make something that requires fees paid and federal paperwork, without doing the proper paperwork.

https://www.m4carbine.net/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item

"Please do not post information on illegal modifications to firearms"

By "please" we mean if you do this, we will boot you out of here. M4C's policy on illegal acts is clear, and violations are dealt with by banning people.

The more you know.....

But "making" a firearm or suppressor in, say, Montana, is currently legal without Federal paperwork and without Federal oversight. If it remains legal is to be seen. But it currently is legal.

PLA
08-11-13, 12:29
Sorry, I wasnt intending to stir anything up

I just dont know much about suppressors other than sign for it, screw it on and make sure I dont loose it before I get back.

It just seemed like it would be a good cost effective place to start a build after sending in the paperwork.

SeriousStudent
08-11-13, 12:36
But "making" a firearm or suppressor in, say, Montana, is currently legal without Federal paperwork and without Federal oversight. If it remains legal is to be seen. But it currently is legal.

I would not be betting 20 years in a PMUTA Federal prison on it. And given how the BATFE gives multiple answers when asked the same question, I would not take bets on their answers.

The discussion was moving in unwise directions. Feel free to talk about comps all you want. But if you want this to stay out of the trash, keep it on the comp side, not the can side.

Paraclete comes
08-11-13, 19:24
the free firearms act is very cool, i asked the local police about they were all about it! which is very cool for those of us in free states. that said shot the e-brake today then let the wife shoot it. All I can say it although its MASSIVE and HEAVY it works VERY WELL. No muzzle rise on rapid fire (as fast as I cold pull the trigger) which was very fun. I have not put an entire magazine that quickly onto a small target like that since I fired the ferfrans rate reducing bolt system.

anyways very cool for what it is, surely not for day to day use.

SteveS
08-11-13, 21:57
Holy Christ that thing is huge.That is way they call it a compensater!!!

eodinert
08-12-13, 04:42
lol someone was up late at night without coffee updating the website, lol. :laugh:

They must be lurking. Lol.

I want to hate this thing, but part of me likes the idea. If their intent really is an 'easy to form 1' baffle stack (or under the 'protection' of 'made in Montana'), they need to lighten the thing up a bit...like the Sig muzzle thingy on their 9mm thing. But I suspect this, and the Sig thing will soon be deemed a suppressor part, and disappear from the market forever.

TomMcC
08-12-13, 08:55
It's a joke. right? If it's not I don't see how it could be effective. The 1st port is so massive all the gas would just dissipate, right?

GH41
08-12-13, 17:06
It's a joke. right? If it's not I don't see how it could be effective. The 1st port is so massive all the gas would just dissipate, right?

You are correct but it would work fine for it's intended use as a barrel extension with a future where and when legal! GH

sxshep
08-12-13, 17:47
Man that thing is huge

dukduk
08-12-13, 22:14
who's gonna be the next guy to tuck one under a fortis rev?

Kain
08-12-13, 22:28

:lol::lol: Would it even fit?

NickyDunzo
08-12-13, 22:35
That thing is huge! I can't see it benefitting over just a longer barrel if trying to legalize a firearm solely for length

Quiet Riot
08-13-13, 07:28
My gut reaction can be summed up by their use of the word "directionalize," as in "directionalize the gas."

While this is a real word, in their application, the word "direct" has the exact same meaning. However, they used three extra syllables that are functionally useless simply to make the word seem more technical than it really is.

Ick
08-13-13, 07:38
..has constructive intent written all over it. Advise: 10 foot pole and/or directionalize yourself away from this item

azoutdoorsman
08-13-13, 12:56
..has constructive intent written all over it. Advise: 10 foot pole and/or directionalize yourself away from this item

Constructive intent does not exist.

azoutdoorsman
08-13-13, 12:56

Nice!:D

CD0311
08-15-13, 16:10
Hmmm NO!!