PDA

View Full Version : Which gas block...

Ridgerunner665
08-10-13, 17:03
A buddy of mine wants to remove the front sight from his AR...its in the way of his red dot.

Its a standard M4 type AR...not a name brand, it was built by some folks in Greenville, TN...I forget their name...but it runs fine.

I'm not sure what will work with those handguards (the round ones), it looks like the gas block helps secure the handguards...but I might be wrong.

If you guys know what would work for this, I'd appreciate the info...doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a gas block that won't interfere with the red dot (and without raising the red dot.

Col_Crocs
08-10-13, 17:18
What optic and mount is he running?

Ridgerunner665
08-10-13, 17:21
I don't know exactly, I saw it today but didn't look at it close enough...its mounted on the rail (carry handle removed)

I'll see if he can send me a pic...

Hmac
08-10-13, 17:27
Seems like the easiest solution would be to get a taller mount for his RDS so it co-witnesses in the lower 1/3. If he just can't get by having the FSB in his RDS field (it's a training issue) then likely next best choice would be to shave down the FSB.

Col_Crocs
08-10-13, 17:30
Ya but is it absolute co-witness? Or is it a generic optic without a proper mount and is sitting lower than absolute co-witness? I ask because if it is either of the two, especially the latter, he could try a lower 1/3 co-witness mount to clear the FSB some before attempting to replace it. That plus the fact that he wont have a place to mount a front sight if he does.

Ridgerunner665
08-10-13, 17:36
He don't even know what co-witness means, lol...just doesn't want the sight in his FOV.

He also doesn't want to ruin the FSB, in case he decides to sell or trade the rifle later.

I'm pretty sure I can get the FSB off and a new block on there...I'm just not exactly sure what will do what he wants without changing the handguard.

He doesn't want sights, just the RDS.

Col_Crocs
08-10-13, 18:13
Replacing the FSB with gasblock isnt rocket science. It's easy. The issue is the durability thereafter considering the gasblock is exposed and only held in place by set screws.
Also, and I'm not trying to be a dick here but it appears neither of you have a real understanding of ARs. If you did, you would know that the handguard is held in place by the delta ring and handguard cap which in turn is held against the barrel's shoulder by the FSB. You can keep the config and use the gasblock to hold it in place but that brings you back to the first issue of durability. Second issue here is the generic optic and his not wanting of back up sights. What if it fails?

Ridgerunner665
08-10-13, 18:22
I never claimed to be an expert, I have had an AR completely apart and put it back together...and it still worked...but that was 3-4 years ago and I couldn't remember exactly how all that stuff was held in place...the one I had apart was a S&W.

Backup sights...I get it, and mine will have them...but this is his, and it is just a plinker...nothing more.

Mine is a Sig 516 and will be configured for fighting...light, BUIS, undecided on which optic, etc...but that is another topic.

Ridgerunner665
08-10-13, 18:28
And I knew the delta ring held the guard at the rear...I also knew the cap held the front...what I didn't know (couldn't remember) is what held the cap.

Ridgerunner665
08-10-13, 18:32
My first thought for the easy fix was a freefloat tube and a low profile gas block...but he didn't seem to want to change the handguard (on a budget)...

Not to mention...a freefloat tube on an M4 barrel profile, lol...might look a little weird.

jmnielsen
08-10-13, 19:00
My first thought for the easy fix was a freefloat tube and a low profile gas block...but he didn't seem to want to change the handguard (on a budget)...

Not to mention...a freefloat tube on an M4 barrel profile, lol...might look a little weird.

I can't even begin to tell you how many people have a free float rail on an M4 profile barrel. Looks perfectly fine.

Ridgerunner665
08-10-13, 19:11
I can't even begin to tell you how many people have a free float rail on an M4 profile barrel. Looks perfectly fine.

I stand corrected...

Iraqgunz
08-10-13, 19:18
Let me guess? He also wants cheap and easy and doesn't want to spend the right money for the right results. Does that sound about right?

Surf
08-10-13, 19:49
There is a good thread about the Dremel. Sounds like it will be right up his alley.

Ridgerunner665
08-10-13, 19:51
Well he doesn't have much money to work with...but he did just agree to the free float guard.

He's a good guy, no two ways about it...he just isn't all that into "the best of the best"...the rifle is just a range toy to him...I'm just trying to help him out with this because I can get the gun apart and back together in working order, I'm far from an expert but I'm way ahead of him when it comes to AR's...the reason for this thread is to make sure he didn't buy the wrong stuff, stuff that won't fit or do the job.

When I start buying stuff for mine...I'll be wanting the good stuff.

cutter_spc
08-10-13, 21:16
Its a standard M4 type AR...not a name brand, it was built by some folks in Greenville, TN...I forget their name...but it runs fine.

Has to be Mohawk Armory. I've only had the chance to shoot one for a little bit as one of my friends has one. Looks great, a bit over priced, but runs good.

The same friend bought the rifle at the LGS and wanted to do the same thing. So he took it over to Mohawk and had him do it, even put a taper pin in the block, and didn't charge him! Might want to consider that if your close enough.

thopkins22
08-10-13, 21:42
The easy answer if he must get rid of the FSB is to take off the hand guards, cut off the delta ring/handguard cap, grind down the FSB, and install a 12" Centurion rail or some other clamp-on rail that uses the stock barrel nut.

It's simple...but if you aren't competent it may not be easy.

Personally I'd convince him to learn to ignore the FSB.

F-Trooper05
08-10-13, 22:05
Basically what you're asking is "how does my friend turn his DPMS and BSA optic into a complete abortion," which I don't think anyone on M4C is qualified to answer. Not trying to be a dick, just letting you know that you might find better advice on other forums.

Ridgerunner665
08-10-13, 22:18
Has to be Mohawk Armory. I've only had the chance to shoot one for a little bit as one of my friends has one. Looks great, a bit over priced, but runs good.

The same friend bought the rifle at the LGS and wanted to do the same thing. So he took it over to Mohawk and had him do it, even put a taper pin in the block, and didn't charge him! Might want to consider that if your close enough.

Yep...thats it...Mohawk Armory..it runs like a Swiss watch.

Lol...and the optic is a BSA, he sent the pics.

And yes...I knew the other forum might have been the best place to ask this, but damn I hate that place...the signal to noise ratio is way too high.

I've been here long enough to get the idea of how you guys view this stuff...and I agree with you...but I'm just trying to find a solution for my friend, I came into this willing to take the heat over it.

I'm gonna see if I can get him to try a mount under the BSA before he messes with the FSB.

Iraqgunz
08-11-13, 00:04
The real solution is this. He needs to learn how to shoot with an FSB and red dot just like hundreds of thousands of military personnel who use the optics.

Either that or sell the entire upper off and have him get one that fits his needs.

Yep...thats it...Mohawk Armory..it runs like a Swiss watch.

Lol...and the optic is a BSA, he sent the pics.

And yes...I knew the other forum might have been the best place to ask this, but damn I hate that place...the signal to noise ratio is way too high.

I've been here long enough to get the idea of how you guys view this stuff...and I agree with you...but I'm just trying to find a solution for my friend, I came into this willing to take the heat over it.

I'm gonna see if I can get him to try a mount under the BSA before he messes with the FSB.

Col_Crocs
08-11-13, 01:44
I never claimed to be an expert, I have had an AR completely apart and put it back together...and it still worked...but that was 3-4 years ago and I couldn't remember exactly how all that stuff was held in place...the one I had apart was a S&W.

Backup sights...I get it, and mine will have them...but this is his, and it is just a plinker...nothing more.

Mine is a Sig 516 and will be configured for fighting...light, BUIS, undecided on which optic, etc...but that is another topic.

That's kind of the problem i was pointing at... Not the fact that youre not an expert but the fact that you dont have the basic understanding of things. Again, not trying to be a dick, I'm merely pointing out a fact that has the potential to take a rather simple solution and turn into a bigger problem.
As for freefloating, it's not about looks, it's about what works. There's nothing in an m4 profile barrel that prevents it from being freefloated. Look up the army's SOPMOD block II m4... Oh, and it looks pretty damn sweet if you ask me. ;)
That aside, i know youve kind of steered him towards freefloating his rig but i just looked up BSA and all their red dots appear to come with really low mounts. You might want to find him a good riser that brings it up to lower 1/3 co-witness first before having him spend money on a rail.

balloo93
08-11-13, 01:57
It sounds like your friend wants to run the BSA red dot without a rise and the entire FSB is in the way. Tell him to buy a YHM clamp on folding front sight.

That will lower the body of the sight mostly out of the way.

Another option is for him to buy a 1/2" or 3/4" riser for under the BSA and that will raise it high enough that he can get a low 1/3 co witness.

Ridgerunner665
08-11-13, 10:36
I'm gonna try to get him to try the co-witness.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

Ridgerunner665
08-12-13, 00:22
This is a little funny...after I said what I said about free float tubes on M4 barrels.

I realized my Sig has a free float quad rail...in my defense, I had not handled the rifle very much before yesterday, and when I had handled it I was just shooting it...because it belonged to my son at the time...I bought it a few months ago but have not been home to play with it until now.

Ah hell...I'm learning...slow but sure.