PDA

View Full Version : Colt AR in 7.62 x 39

sbui
04-17-08, 20:05
Was wondering if anyone knows the legality of changing the chamber for this rifle.

I bought it during the ban era and paid way too much money for it. I have it now and been wanting to do a cool build for it but really want to change the chamber on it, or even get rid of it.

The lower is stamped with 7.62 x 39 on it also, so that is why I was asking. Also it's the gray colored AR, so was wondering if I could also change the finish.

Any help would be appreciated.

frbowers
04-18-08, 16:59
Why not just sell it and buy what you want?

sbui
04-18-08, 17:35
maybe haven't been offered enough for it.

N4LtRecce
04-19-08, 01:01
This is a 7.62X39mm AR that we're talking about? Or is it a rifle you'd like to convert to 7.62X39mm?

tuff
04-19-08, 11:21
He is talking about a Colt 7.62x.39 that they made for a few years......

If the lower has the 7.62x.39 roll marks and the upper is the same, it would be a whole lot easier to just sell it rather than rechamber it for a different caliber....

Buck
04-19-08, 14:42
Colt used a standard lower on all of their AR rifles regardless of caliber... After you add up all the, selling / shipping/ transfer fees it really makes no sense to sell it off VS, just purchasing a new upper of the style that you want...

If it were me, I would order a new M4A1 contract upper from G&R built using one of the USGI FN (style) contract M4 upper receivers and complete bolt carrier groups with a saber defense 16 inch midlength barrel and a complete LMT carbine butt stock assembly... I would just keep the 7.62 upper and fixed butt stock in my stuff box for originality sake... But thats just me...

Buck

wolfrat1
05-01-08, 20:45
i had one a few years back and sold it. it was a novelty at the time. it had the five round mags. i bought larger ones, but the rifle kept jamming up and/or double feeding. i wanted to shoot more than five rounds at a time. it was accuarte though so i can't take too much from it.

m4fun
05-01-08, 20:54
I too had one - USA made a "Franken mag" which really looked like someone welded an AK mag to an AR 20rnd mag. These fed fairly well for a USA mag. I wonder how the 6.8mm PRI mags would work, but I haven't bought any yet.

Other than the 7.62x39 functionality, its a regular Colt lower for the day - nothing to change it to 5.56 by changing the upper.

Cold Zero
05-01-08, 20:57
maybe haven't been offered enough for it.

How much do you want for it? I saw one purchased this week for $1,575. I know of two other guys who would pay the same. They are a novelty item.