PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP .380

Loner
04-17-08, 20:59
Anyone has expreience with this new bug? Any feedbacks, reviews, comments would be appreciated.

ToddG
04-18-08, 10:33
The few reports I've seen online have been mixed. Sounds like there are some teething problems in terms of reliability, etc.

However, assuming Ruger gets it right, I intend to buy one. Would prefer it in .32 but a quality Ruger .380 beats a Kel-Tec .32 in my book. The LCP also has a substantially shorter reset, which alone makes it more interesting to me. It also has a slide catch, which is a plus over the P3AT.

I spoke to the guys at Kel-Tec during SHOT. Their approach to durability for the P3AT is, "shoot it until it breaks then send it in, we'll ship you a new one for free." That's not quite inspirational.

markm
04-18-08, 11:15
In my opinion the .380 cartridge is so weak, it's not worth carrying.

My brother in law brought out a kel tec .380 last time he was in town. It was the 2 things that make me puke in a pistol...

1. .380, and...

2. Kel tec. :rolleyes:

CHoffman
04-18-08, 13:38
I used to love Ruger's autoloaders tank like looks and reliability. Have never had any problems with their alloy framed models (owned 3 P-Series models). But ever since they started to get 'innovative' with their new designs my trust in them has been shaken. I had bought a P345 and had issues with a failure to go fully into battery. It has since worked itself (with some home smithing by me) into a reliable pistol. I've read a lot of reports on some ruger forums and it seems a lot of people have problems with newer recently released models (P345, SR9, LCP). Seems to me like Ruger is using customers as beta testers which doesn't quite sit right with me. My P345 was going to be my CCW gun but now it is just a range toy until I can get enough rounds through it to make me trust it again. My wife really likes the LCP but based on my experiences I will wait until their customers work out any bugs in the system.

DM-SC
04-18-08, 14:14
Like all new guns, I'm taking a wait 'n see attitude on the LCP. I don't like to be experimented on, though it's happened in the past. ;)

As for Kel-Tec...My P32 has had but two issues in the 8+ years I've owned it. It does NOT like CCI's primers and the recoil spring gave up. it looked like total crap...until I had the slide refinished.

My PF-9 has run flawless so far, though I've only had it since last December. It's one of the latest revision guns. I waited until folks started posting good things about the PF-9 before I bought one.

Stephen_H
04-18-08, 14:23
Looking at the parts diagrams for both pistols it is obvious that the Ruger is a copy of the Keltec.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p3atparts.html

http://www.ruger.com/LCP/Specifications.html

That being said, I will never buy another Ruger product after Bill Ruger threw gun owners under the bus in 1994. It is a shame too as looks as though they have made some genuine improvements to the Keltec design.

Stephen

ST911
04-18-08, 15:16
Looking at the parts diagrams for both pistols it is obvious that the Ruger is a copy of the Keltec.

Helps minimize R&D costs. See also: SR9

Oscar 319
04-18-08, 21:32
A video review of the LCP.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1214128523/bclid1227642577/bctid1243717884

I'll take a J-frame, thanks.

DM-SC
04-18-08, 21:37
A video review of the LCP.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1214128523/bclid1227642577/bctid1243717884

That link takes me to SR9 videos. I love the "Ruger reinvents the service pistol" line with the Russian music! :rolleyes:

Oscar 319
04-18-08, 21:41
That link takes me to SR9 videos. I love the "Ruger reinvents the service pistol" line with the Russian music! :rolleyes:

I am the tard who still can't figure out how to post a pic here. Try this.
***don't drink & post***

http://www.downrange.tv/player.htm

DM-SC
04-19-08, 15:52
***don't drink & post***

Excellent advice! :D

DrMark
04-19-08, 17:13
Yeah, I'm wondering if it's a licensed copy, or if they just ripped-off the design (and if so, if legal action is afoot).

That being said, I will never buy another Ruger product after Bill Ruger threw gun owners under the bus in 1994.
I was of that opinion too.

Now that Bill (no one needs mags of more than 10 rounds) Ruger is long dead and buried, and Ruger has been shipping the Mini-14 with standard capacity (20- or 30-rounders) mags again, I've been re-thinking that. Of course, they'd have to make something I want first.

DM-SC
04-19-08, 21:36
Of course, they'd have to make something I want first.

That's been my reason for NOT owning a Ruger. I actually looked at several SR9's...they sort of got my attention for a moment or two...;)

The LCP MAY be the one...:confused:

Stephen_H
04-20-08, 13:54
Now that Bill (no one needs mags of more than 10 rounds) Ruger is long dead and buried, and Ruger has been shipping the Mini-14 with standard capacity (20- or 30-rounders) mags again, I've been re-thinking that. Of course, they'd have to make something I want first.

I didn't know that. I may pick up one of these LCP's then.

Stephen

TOrrock
04-20-08, 17:49
I didn't know that. I may pick up one of these LCP's then.

Stephen

Yep.

Not to derail this thread, but while I respect a lot of what Bill Ruger did for shooters, I don't forgive the man for 1994.

Having said that, he's passed away, and Ruger is now selling 20rd. AC-556 mags unrestricted, as well as high cap mags for handguns.

You'd never have seen this .380 that they're building under the old man's watch either.

Ruger is trying, guys.