PDA

View Full Version : Good Job FBI and all local LEO's involved.

Alaskapopo
08-10-13, 21:00
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-california-murderkidnap-suspect-killed-girl-rescued-20130810,0,3733016.story

Glad the girl is ok and glad the suspect is dead.
pat

montanadave
08-10-13, 21:06
I'm pleased that the girl was recovered without any reported physical injury and will be reunited with her dad tomorrow. And I hope they get her into some counseling the day after that, as she is likely going to have some very severe survivor's guilt following this horrific trauma.

Alaskapopo
08-10-13, 21:08
I'm pleased that the girl was recovered without any reported physical injury and will be reunited with her dad tomorrow. And I hope they get her into some counseling the day after that, as she is likely going to have some very severe survivor's guilt following this horrific trauma.

She lost her brother and her mother than is not going to be something she gets over ever. Wish her the best.
Pat

AKDoug
08-11-13, 03:15
I hope I'm wrong, but I think she was a willing participant in this.

Alaskapopo
08-11-13, 03:26

Curious as to why you think that?
Pat

SkiDevil
08-11-13, 03:47
Curious as to why you think that?
Pat

ABC Nightly News reported that the persons who encountered the suspect and the teenage abducted female did not report any indications of duress or request of assistance. The reporter stated the principal reason their location was provided to Police was because the camping equipment and gear they were wearing was not appropriate for the location; it was too light-weight.

p.s. The interesting part of the report was that the suspect was engaged at a distance by a 'FBI Tactical agent' aka sniper because of his potential threat to the female hostage. The report was not very specific but it sounds if he was shot at a distance with no attempted negotiation or opportunity to surrender. Not that he deserved it, just somewhat ironic when it was very likely a FBI Hostage Rescue Team sharp-shooter who brought the incident to a close.

Iraqgunz
08-11-13, 04:19
You may be right. I read something (can't remember where) that this guy had a relationship to the family and he had been in contact with the daughter previously.

montanadave
08-11-13, 04:36
My understanding is the dead abductor was a friend of the family, had previously made public comments about having a "crush" on the teen-aged daughter, and the daughter had told either her parents or another adult she was uncomfortable around the guy and did not want to be left alone with him.

I certainly hope this is the case as the entire situation is tragic enough already.

HES
08-11-13, 18:36
My wife made the same call several days ago. Note that the media still continues to call him the "alleged" abductor. I hope like hell that he really was a kidnapper and that you and my wife are wrong.

TAZ
08-11-13, 19:02
Definitely well done to the LEO's involved and the people/person who tipped them to the location.

This event sux big ones in and of itself, so I'm hoping it doesn't devolve into something even more bizarre.

AKDoug
08-11-13, 23:48
ABC Nightly News reported that the persons who encountered the suspect and the teenage abducted female did not report any indications of duress or request of assistance. The reporter stated the principal reason their location was provided to Police was because the camping equipment and gear they were wearing was not appropriate for the location; it was too light-weight.

I read another report that said that she was happily hiking along with him with her own camping gear. The same witness that saw them hiking got home and saw their pics on the news. That witness called the police.

Sensei
08-12-13, 02:43
The witness statements that I've seen make Hannah to be more of an accomplice than victim.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/11/19973627-horseback-riders-who-found-hannah-say-it-was-one-chance-in-a-trillion?lite

"She was trying to turn her face away," Mike Young said.

The riders said that Hannah did not give them any signal she needed help and they thought DiMaggio might be her father. Despite the red flags, they didn't detect any danger or see any weapons.

I curious if DiMaggio was armed when he was killed?

Hmac
08-12-13, 07:37

The guys attention toward her in the weeks or months before the kidnapping reportedly "creeped her out" and she didn't want to be alone with him after he had confessed his crush to her.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/friend-kidnapping-suspect-crush-missing-teen-article-1.1421224

I doubt she was complicit, far more likely some variation of Stockholm Syndrome.

RyanB
08-12-13, 09:44
The witness statements that I've seen make Hannah to be more of an accomplice than victim.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/11/19973627-horseback-riders-who-found-hannah-say-it-was-one-chance-in-a-trillion?lite

I curious if DiMaggio was armed when he was killed?

The same story on CNN made her look like a victim rather than an accomplice.

Pork Chop
08-12-13, 10:08
I sincerely hope you guys are wrong about her being an accomplice. That would be truly tragic for the father and immensely ****ed up.

Also, I know we don't know all the details of the story, but as a father myself, if one of my best buddies and family friend confessed to my teenage daughter that he had a crush on her he'd be choking on his teeth, let alone ever being around my family again. Just sayin.

streck
08-12-13, 10:55
Shot at a distance while attempting to take him into custody? How much an attempt was there?

James Lee DiMaggio, 40, was slain by an FBI agent while authorities were attempting to take him into custody.....

Hmac
08-12-13, 11:41
Shot at a distance while attempting to take him into custody? How much an attempt was there?

It's all media blather at this point. Trying to parse the sequence of events from the conflicting speculative data that's being reported at the moment is pointless. Rest assured that the FBI will ultimately, sooner rather than later, release the scenario in their anxiety to justify the shooting to the public.

RyanB
08-12-13, 12:12

I'm of a mind that people may breathe or hold hostages but not do both simultaneously.

montanadave
08-12-13, 12:20
It's all media blather at this point. Trying to parse the sequence of events from the conflicting speculative data that's being reported at the moment is pointless. Rest assured that the FBI will ultimately, sooner rather than later, release the scenario in their anxiety to justify the shooting to the public.

I agree. It's a little premature to start characterizing this as a poor man's Badlands scenario that ended with another Ruby Ridge execution by the FBI.

C-grunt
08-12-13, 13:18
Also you have to wonder what "sharpshooter at distance" means to the media. For all we know it was a guy with a Colt Commando from 50 yards.

skydivr
08-12-13, 14:01
Just wait for the facts to come out....look at the Zimmerman case as an example....

montanadave
08-12-13, 14:27
The LA Times is reporting the teen-aged girl was not aware her mother and brother had been killed, was being held "under duress," and the abductor fired at least one shot at LEOs before he was killed (http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-hannah-anderson-sheriff-20130812,0,1142949.story).

Sensei
08-12-13, 15:37
The LA Times is reporting the teen-aged girl was not aware her mother and brother had been killed, was being held "under duress," and the abductor fired at least one shot at LEOs before he was killed (http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-hannah-anderson-sheriff-20130812,0,1142949.story).

That is good to hear. The initial reports made me wonder. I hope that Hannah and her father get the help that they need.

SteyrAUG
08-12-13, 21:47
Probably the best possible outcome given the circumstances.

Glad the couple on the horses happened by and did the right thing.

Hmac
08-21-13, 09:06

Although, it is getting curiouser and curiouser...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/21/us/hannah-anderson-james-dimaggio-case/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

(CNN) -- James DiMaggio's family is requesting DNA samples from the family of Hannah Anderson, the 16-year-old girl he's accused of kidnapping and whose mother and brother were found dead in his burned home.

On Monday, the Anderson family spokeswoman told CNN that DiMaggio, 40, left a life insurance policy from his job as a telecommunications tech that named Hannah and Ethan's grandmother, Bernice Anderson, as the beneficiary. [$110,000 policy]

Other items found on the nine-page list of things seized from the home and the adjacent garage include incendiary devices, a gas can, rolls of duct tape, used condoms, ammunition, an arson wire and letters from Hannah.

Contents of the letters and the handwritten note were not revealed in the affidavit.

When specifically asked about the note by KFMB, the sheriff's department deferred.

Hannah was seen in a car with DiMaggio about 20 hours before he allegedly set fire to his house, police said Tuesday.

The two were seen in DiMaggio's blue Nissan Versa just after midnight Sunday, August 4, said San Diego County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Jan Caldwell. She confirmed reporting from the Los Angeles Times that the two were spotted at a U.S. Border Patrol checkpoint.

The same document said phone records indicate the two "called each other approximately 13 times" shortly before both their phones were turned off around 4 p.m. (7 p.m. ET) on August 4.

That was around the time that Hannah was picked up from cheerleading practice at Sweetwater High School, the warrant says, while noting it wasn't known who picked her up.

HES
08-21-13, 10:07
Although, it is getting curiouser and curiouser...
Please tell me I was wrong from the get go, please let this be nothing.

montanadave
08-21-13, 10:54
Please tell me I was wrong from the get go, please let this be nothing.

I hope so too but I'm startin' to get a seriously bad vibe here.

There are two people involved who were murdered and a third killed by law enforcement. Everyone (and anyone) involved in this crime needs to be held accountable. The authorities need to follow the evidence, regardless where it leads.

Sensei
08-21-13, 12:27
I hope so too but I'm startin' to get a seriously bad vibe here.

There are two people involved who were murdered and a third killed by law enforcement. Everyone (and anyone) involved in this crime needs to be held accountable. The authorities need to follow the evidence, regardless where it leads.

I get a bad vibe whenever I hear about a situation involving an unmarried male friend of the family who goes by Uncle ____. It couldn't be more obvious if he drove around in a van with no windows and "candy" written on the back.

glocktogo
08-21-13, 18:03
I get a bad vibe whenever I hear about a situation involving an unmarried male friend of the family who goes by Uncle ____. It couldn't be more obvious if he drove around in a van with no windows and "candy" written on the back.

If this turns out to be the case, it would be incest as well. Just when you thought this case couldn't get any more horrific. :(

Alaskapopo
08-21-13, 18:10
Wow this was an ataboy thread for the law enforcement involved and its gone down the rabbit hole of suspecting the victim of the crime of being involved. Perhaps she was but that does not change the fact that the LEO's involved in this did a great job. I guess its hard to get praise for anything leo's do on this site.
Pat

glocktogo
08-21-13, 18:46
Wow this was an ataboy thread for the law enforcement involved and its gone down the rabbit hole of suspecting the victim of the crime of being involved. Perhaps she was but that does not change the fact that the LEO's involved in this did a great job. I guess its hard to get praise for anything leo's do on this site.
Pat

You'll get what we give you and like it! :D

Seriously, nothing to take away from a good job on the LEO's part. Mods usually merge threads on a single event, but perhaps in this case they should be separate threads? :confused:

Sensei
08-21-13, 20:20
Pat

Nobody is taking anything away from the agents and officers who did us all a favor. Their contribution has been acknowledged. We are commenting on the disturbing circumstances surrounding this "family."

gun71530
08-21-13, 20:30
Nobody is taking anything away from the agents and officers who did us all a favor. Their contribution has been acknowledged. We are commenting on the disturbing circumstances surrounding this "family."

He's just derailing another thread, as usual.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Alaskapopo
08-21-13, 20:39
He's just derailing another thread, as usual.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

This is actually a thread I started.
Pat

montanadave
08-21-13, 21:02
This is actually a thread I started.
Pat

And the story continues to evolve. It is hardly surprising that the discussion should shift focus as new facts emerge.

No one has minimized or disparaged the role LEOs played in locating this young lady and seeing her returned home safely. And members are continuing to support law enforcement's efforts to uncover all the facts.