PDA

View Full Version : 5.56 RECCE vs Identical .300 BLK Rifle

Tacti-square
08-10-13, 21:25
Which rifle is the more all-around capable platform if the only thing different is the chambering? Everything else stays the same, including optics and magazines. Let's say 16-inch barrels for the sake of discussion.

-Ammunition more widely available
-Higher velocity
-More controllable

.300 BLK
-More muzzle energy
-Suppressed capabilities
-Increased range

sammage
08-10-13, 21:39
.300 BLK
-Increased range

Do you understand the ballistics of 5.56 vs 300 BLK?

thopkins22
08-10-13, 21:44
Do you understand the ballistics of 5.56 vs 300 BLK?

'Twas my thought.

There's no debate between the two for "all around capable," especially with modern bullets and loads available.

Tacti-square
08-10-13, 22:04
So what, the Blackout's just a can round with nothing else to offer over 5.56?

foxtrotx1
08-10-13, 22:25
The 5.56 will benefit from the extra barrel length far more than blackout. The blackout was created for use from short barrel rifles. The 300 BLK will have a much more challenging trajectory to judge at extended range. It's traveling much slower.

TMS951
08-10-13, 22:29
If you think .300blk has increased range you would never have posed this question and your answer would have been self evident.

.300blk is no good past 200m compared to 5.56.

Read more, with a solid knowledge base you will not have to ask questions like this as you would already know the answer. The pros and cons of 300blk have been discussed ad nausium.

Noodles
08-10-13, 22:32
300blk makes for a terrible precision build. It's too heavy of a bullet with too little powder behind it, and what powder you do have is at lower pressure because of increased volume.

"Suppressed capability" is nonsense. Both rounds suppress just fine in super. 556 will be more ideal with an adjustable port, but it works just fine for a slow firing precision gun.

"Increased range".... Except that its the opposite of that for the most part.

You have a lot of reading to do. BUT notated what you're going the wrong way about this. You need a To have a role to fill before you pick a tool for it. 300blk has some cool advantages, but it has some major cons.

Basically, if you are here asking 556 or 300blk in the way that you are, the correct answer is almost certainly 556. Resolvers has remarked that he sees blk like 40sw, it's a niche that has its place.

Tacti-square
08-10-13, 22:37
I was under the impression that the Blackout can be pushed out much farther than the 5.56. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgKjbySsAik

thopkins22
08-10-13, 22:54
I was under the impression that the Blackout can be pushed out much farther than the 5.56. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgKjbySsAik

I've shot 5.56 relatively accurately to 1K. The target is that white dot above the middle telephone/power pole. Wind starts to eat you up if it is a factor, but such is life. The lesson isn't that a 4X optic and 5.56x45 is good at 1000 yards(it's not.) It's that it's doable if you have the time to figure out the dope and a good combination of barrel and ammo. With enough time, ammo, and the right wind conditions I'm sure I could bang steel at whatever distance Haley was with a lever action .30-.30...it doesn't mean it's a good choice for it.
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/IMG_0875.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/IMG_0875.jpg.html)

Subsonic .300BLK isn't that different in it's trajectory from .22LR, and supersonic .300BLK essentially follows the trajectory of 7.62x39(what we've long thought of as a 200 yard cartridge. If that's what you want just get an AK and be done with it.

Google search .300BLK trajectory and look in the images for trajectory comparisons...it starts dropping like a rock pretty quickly.

foxtrotx1
08-10-13, 23:24
Sure, 300 super can make 750 hits. Heck, you could make 750 hits with a 9mm carbine if you arced it enough. Whats the time of flight? How effective are you going to be on targets that move with a 3 second flight time and a huge drop?

Iraqgunz
08-10-13, 23:54
Well I see you are back to asking questions that make little sense. Why don't you take the time to read about the 300 BLK and understand it.

I can probably hit something with 9mm bullet at 200 yards. It doesn't mean it makes sense.

benthughes
08-11-13, 00:09
What are your intentions? Hunting rifle, plinking or just a general use rifle? In a 16" rifle there will be a difference but under 300 yards ( I'm too dumb to metric) I don't think you'll see a huge difference in target shooting. As to the differences in energy delivered at 100, 200, 300 yards there are ballistics posts that are a wealth of information.

I think it boils down to what you intend to do with it.

WS6
08-11-13, 06:16
0-200 yards, cost and logistics aside, I can't think of why you would choose 5.56 over 300 blk. Much past that, and intermediate ballistics will determine your choice, as terminally both are competent beyond your distance of competency, imo

jwfuhrman
08-11-13, 09:52
Well I see you are back to asking questions that make little sense. Why don't you take the time to read about the 300 BLK and understand it.

I can probably hit something with 9mm bullet at 200 yards. It doesn't mean it makes sense.

Can the ban hammer please be swung more on some of the stupidity that is coming to this forum?

I've hit steel at 200 with a 9mm just to try it. It sounds like a rock being thrown at a coffee can and has about the same effect.....

WS6
08-11-13, 10:04
Can the ban hammer please be swung more on some of the stupidity that is coming to this forum?

I've hit steel at 200 with a 9mm just to try it. It sounds like a rock being thrown at a coffee can and has about the same effect.....

It's equivalent to a hit from M193 at 600 yards from a 14.5" M4 carbine. I still wouldn't want to receive it!

I've done some shooting at 160 with my G19 and while fun, and certainly potentially lethal, it was a total game of chance at my skill level.

Seriously though, everyone has to start somewhere on the knowledge tree. I ask stupid questions at times, I think we all do, when we step outside of our comfort zones and venture into territory that is new to us. Is OP TRYING to be stupid, or is OP just ignorant, I guess is my question.

Wormydog1724
08-11-13, 10:21
Neither.

6.8 SPC FTW! :jester:

C-grunt
08-11-13, 10:50
The 300 is a great cartridge but its not a long range round. It drops like a rock.

With good ammo a 5.56 RECCE is nipping at 1000 yards. My DMR with its 20 inch barrel and M262 was a solid 600 yard gun. Only reason I say it was that short was the 4x ACOG being the limiting factor. Ive shot trucks with it out past 800 yards.

Noodles
08-11-13, 11:50
The 300 is a great cartridge but its not a long range round. It drops like a rock.

With good ammo a 5.56 RECCE is nipping at 1000 yards. My DMR with its 20 inch barrel and M262 was a solid 600 yard gun. Only reason I say it was that short was the 4x ACOG being the limiting factor. Ive shot trucks with it out past 800 yards.

We were taking my 16" and a 14.5" out to 750 a couple weeks ago in Eastern Washington. The guns can easily do it.

It was actually quite interesting for me as it all but eliminated my desire to have a 300blk. For all it's "stopping power" arguments, it's just not as versatile as 556. I mean, it would be cool to shoot expensive 220gr subs quietly, but it wouldn't be as quite as a bolt gun, and if it wanted to kill something it would be with supers anyhow. It's in the back of my mind, but considering a 14.5"-16" carbine is quite manageable and with a pre-zeroed scope can be taken to 600+ effectively... I just can't see supporting another caliber right now. ESP not one that can be chambered in my 556 guns with disastrous consequences.

If I thought the smallest/shortest carbine was desirable than 300blk is cool, but after comparing an 8" 300 to my 12.5 to and then to other 14.5 and 16" guns, it's a pretty minor difference all around.

Tacti-square
08-11-13, 13:01
Neither.

6.8 SPC FTW! :jester:

Anyone else feel the same? What if we were comparing a 5.56 RECCE with an identical 6.8 SPC rifle optimized for the round, like the LWRC Six8 but without the piston? If it had a dedicated magazine, well, bolt, etc, what would be the disadvantage to shooting a bigger intermediate cartridge?

If my OP came across as ignorant, I apologize. I know .300 vs 5.56 has been rehashed for close to a decade, but I wanted a fresh opinion. If it was just too stupid for you to handle, there's a handy backwards arrow at the top-left-corner of your screen that you might find useful. For those of you who were kind enough to give your thoughts in a positive light, I appreciate it.

Noodles
08-11-13, 13:11
Anyone else feel the same? What if we were comparing a 5.56 RECCE with an identical 6.8 SPC rifle optimized for the round, like the LWRC Six8 but without the piston?

Nope.

If you need to support a dedicated mag, bolt, barrel, basically an entire gun you're looking at something different than 300blk vs 556.

If you feel you can support an entirely differently platform, go for it. 6.8 makes for some interesting crossover. However... imo 6.5G does everything but short barrels better.... BUT, why stop there!? Let's design a 6.7mm wildcat!!! And so on and so on... Pretty soon, you might wonder why you ****ing suck compared to the guy that got 4x more trigger time on his 556 for all the work and effort you put into your gun.

If your hobby is shooting... 556. If your hobby is reloading or tinkering, 6.8mm. If your hobby is hunting 6.5mm. If you absolutely must have extra lethality or short barrel work within 200y, 300blk. If you even have to ask the questions asked above.... 556.

WillBrink
08-11-13, 13:30
Sure, 300 super can make 750 hits. Heck, you could make 750 hits with a 9mm carbine if you arced it enough. Whats the time of flight? How effective are you going to be on targets that move with a 3 second flight time and a huge drop?

Bob Munden hitting a head sized balloon at 200 yards with a .38 snub revolver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tied-t1fFsk

with a 1911, he went 300 yards. :eek:

RIP Bob.

WS6
08-11-13, 18:09
We were taking my 16" and a 14.5" out to 750 a couple weeks ago in Eastern Washington. The guns can easily do it.

It was actually quite interesting for me as it all but eliminated my desire to have a 300blk. For all it's "stopping power" arguments, it's just not as versatile as 556. I mean, it would be cool to shoot expensive 220gr subs quietly, but it wouldn't be as quite as a bolt gun, and if it wanted to kill something it would be with supers anyhow. It's in the back of my mind, but considering a 14.5"-16" carbine is quite manageable and with a pre-zeroed scope can be taken to 600+ effectively... I just can't see supporting another caliber right now. ESP not one that can be chambered in my 556 guns with disastrous consequences.

If I thought the smallest/shortest carbine was desirable than 300blk is cool, but after comparing an 8" 300 to my 12.5 to and then to other 14.5 and 16" guns, it's a pretty minor difference all around.

The advantage comes when you suppress it. It won't tear blast-baffles up, it won't cycle much faster suppressed, and when you DO take the can off (or if you don't suppress it), it's not nearly as concussive.

WS6
08-11-13, 18:11
Nope.

If you need to support a dedicated mag, bolt, barrel, basically an entire gun you're looking at something different than 300blk vs 556.

If you feel you can support an entirely differently platform, go for it. 6.8 makes for some interesting crossover. However... imo 6.5G does everything but short barrels better.... BUT, why stop there!? Let's design a 6.7mm wildcat!!! And so on and so on... Pretty soon, you might wonder why you ****ing suck compared to the guy that got 4x more trigger time on his 556 for all the work and effort you put into your gun.

If your hobby is shooting... 556. If your hobby is reloading or tinkering, 6.8mm. If your hobby is hunting 6.5mm. If you absolutely must have extra lethality or short barrel work within 200y, 300blk. If you even have to ask the questions asked above.... 556.

As a civilian, 0-200 yards is all I really "care" about. I'd rather the extra horsepower in my livingroom than the academic argument that 600m shots are more do-able. I have a 5.56 gun configured identical that I can train with for higher volume knowledge gain.

domestique
08-12-13, 01:36
1. Your first AR should be 5.56. Much cheaper ammo for training

2. If you don't reload you should stick to 5.56. -See above-

3. If you are not shooting suppressed just stick to 5.56. The advantage of the 300 BLK is being able to shoot supers sonic and sub sonic without having to have a heavily modified rifle with an adjustable gas system.

4. If you don't want an SBR then stick to 5.56.

I wouldn’t recommend 300 BLK to anyone that doesn’t already have a 5.56 AR, doesn’t reload, and wouldn’t benefit from the SBR and suppressor benefits.

---------------------------------------------------------
The 300 BLK is a niche cartridge, but it fits my niche PERFECTLY (FWIW I also have a Glock 20 in 10mm for backpacking). Having a soft shooting SBR that can be suppressed, which isn't as hard on suppressors, and can actually be used for hunting in all states that allow semi autos (many states do not allow anything less than .23 caliber minimum). It also helps that I do a lot of 7.62X51 reloading and being able to share bullets is great for general plinking. Being that I live 200 yards from neighbors I can load up 220 grain subs and shoot suppressed in my backyard without pissing off the neighbors.

For MY NICHE:
0-200 yards: I would take a 9 inch suppressed blackout all day long
200-800 yards: I am grabbing a 7.62x51
800+ yards: 300 RUM
Backyard Plinking: 300 BLK in 220 grain subs.
Carbine class: I would take a 5.56 just for the cheaper ammo
Home Defense: 300 BLK
"Bugout scenario via car": 300 BLK in hand with a 7.62x51 nearby, 5.56 upper packed away.
"Bugout scenario on foot": 7.62x51

Tacti-square
08-12-13, 03:39
Home Defense: 300 BLK
"Bugout scenario via car": 300 BLK in hand with a 7.62x51 nearby, 5.56 upper packed away.

This is part of a post from thehighroad.org concerning defense loadouts. Thought it was relevant to the conversation since you brought up HD and bugouts.

"I have shot competitively with people from all backgrounds, many military. I have shot with former Army SFOD-D, SEALs, and even Recon Marines. People who have used the AR/M16 platform in a role that most people never will.

Do you want to know the loadout that they choose for self defense? It is all quite similar actually.

1. Rifle caliber.

Want to guess how many of them use 6.8 SPC? Zero. Want to know how many use 5.56? All of them. If the 5.56 wouldn't do the job, then they wouldn't use it.

2. NFA.

Want to guess how many of them use a rifle with a suppressor or a SBR? Zero. There isn't a need for it, and this is coming from guys who all have used short barrel rifles to kill other 2 legged threats at one point or another in their lives. And they have each killed more people than a non-veteran civilian ever will."

Iraqgunz
08-12-13, 03:49
That's actually a stupid post and really doesn't address the subject. I don't understand why you started this thread. Listen to the guy from THR and stay with 5.56.

This is part of a post from thehighroad.org concerning defense loadouts. Thought it was relevant to the conversation since you brought up HD and bugouts.

"I have shot competitively with people from all backgrounds, many military. I have shot with former Army SFOD-D, SEALs, and even Recon Marines. People who have used the AR/M16 platform in a role that most people never will.

Do you want to know the loadout that they choose for self defense? It is all quite similar actually.

1. Rifle caliber.

Want to guess how many of them use 6.8 SPC? Zero. Want to know how many use 5.56? All of them. If the 5.56 wouldn't do the job, then they wouldn't use it.

2. NFA.

Want to guess how many of them use a rifle with a suppressor or a SBR? Zero. There isn't a need for it, and this is coming from guys who all have used short barrel rifles to kill other 2 legged threats at one point or another in their lives. And they have each killed more people than a non-veteran civilian ever will."

Tacti-square
08-12-13, 03:59
That's actually a stupid post and really doesn't address the subject. I don't understand why you started this thread. Listen to the guy from THR and stay with 5.56.

Why are you so hostile? Did my thread defile an otherwise pristine forum? I thought this was a place to learn.

WS6
08-12-13, 05:44
I've trained with delta and rangers that run sbr and cans. Needed? No, but they ran them.

Corse
08-12-13, 06:33
If SBRs and can's were not NFA, I would have all 10-12" barrel guns suppressed. Well, I would keep 16" gun around, setup for longer range stuff.

C-grunt
08-12-13, 12:17

1. Rifle caliber.

2. NFA.

My old team/squad leader is now SF and his favorite rifle is a Mk18. Everyone is going to have their favorites and a good SBR does have some size and weight advantages over a traditional 16" carbine. And a SBR with a can definitely has some advantages when you need to shoot and dont want everyone around knowing where you are at.

But like I said earlier if you want a semi auto precision rig just get a 5.56 and learn it. Its got some legs on it and no matter what any internet 'expert' thinks it is still plenty lethal at range.

RogerinTPA
08-12-13, 12:44
5.56MM all day long. If I need something heavier, I'd simply go with a quality 762 AK variant over the 300BLK.

Ironman8
08-12-13, 13:23
After taking game cleanly last hunting season out to 275 yds with a 16" RECCE setup, actually seeing the animal drop in my scope due to such light recoil (it was like watching the hunting channel), and the ability for quick and accurate follow-up shots, I'm completely sold on 5.56.

And it was a headshot at 275yds too, btw...just because I/the gun can :ph34r:

That said, I still wouldn't mind having a 16" .308 AR for a little longer ranges and penetration capability. Although the newer 5.56 bullets (such as 70gr TSX) have closed that gap quite a bit.

domestique
08-12-13, 13:58
After taking game cleanly last hunting season out to 275 yds with a 16" RECCE setup, actually seeing the animal drop in my scope due to such light recoil (it was like watching the hunting channel), and the ability for quick and accurate follow-up shots, I'm completely sold on 5.56.

And it was a headshot at 275yds too, btw...just because I/the gun can :ph34r:

That said, I still wouldn't mind having a 16" .308 AR for a little longer ranges and penetration capability. Although the newer 5.56 bullets (such as 70gr TSX) have closed that gap quite a bit.

The problem arises when you live in a state where 5.56 isn't allowed for taking game (like myself). I personally have no problem hunting with 5.56 and am actually working up a load of 70 gr. Tsx right now for a buddy going on a hog hunt.

Ironman8
08-12-13, 14:27
The problem arises when you live in a state where 5.56 isn't allowed for taking game (like myself). I personally have no problem hunting with 5.56 and am actually working up a load of 70 gr. Tsx right now for a buddy going on a hog hunt.

Yeah that is a problem for some states out there...and mostly the reason why I would like a bigger caliber. I have a .270 bolt gun though, just in case I do go out of state for a hunt...still would like a light(er)weight .308 AR in my arsenal though.

Since you're back in the thread...thought I would ask for your thought process behind your previous post:

For MY NICHE:

I'm assuming you want the 300BO for the car due to OAL, that would make sense....

But for on foot bugout (however unlikely that scenario may be) why choose the 7.62 over the 5.56?

My thoughts are that your loadout will be lighter with 5.56 and if I'm on foot, I'd be in "EE" mode...meaning that I don't plan on engaging outside of 100(maybe 200) yds unless I absolutely have to...in which case, 5.56 would own that space (IMO).

mastiffhound
08-12-13, 16:04
Thank you all! You have made my day. A bunch of people with common sense, how refreshing. I was so tired of forums with people telling me that 300BLK was sooooo much better than 5.56 in all aspects from short to long range. That it stomped 7.62x39 in muzzle energy. That it's cheaper to buy and easier to find than 5.56 or 7.62x39.:bad:

What is usually found out about the guys spouting this nonsense is that they are retailers for 300BLK uppers and ammo. Even though I'll agree with them that it's great for being suppressed and intermediate ranges they'll then argue that it's a great cartridge for shooting 800 yards. When I say if your going to 800 yards 7.62 NATO is a better choice, they end up mad and tell me I'm just being dense and I'll just never understand. Again thank you!

Mariley85
08-12-13, 16:27

come to post this.

GunnutAF
08-12-13, 17:51
If you think .300blk has increased range you would never have posed this question and your answer would have been self evident.

.300blk is no good past 200m compared to 5.56.

Read more, with a solid knowledge base you will not have to ask questions like this as you would already know the answer. The pros and cons of 300blk have been discussed ad nausium.

Well spoken by someone who has not a clue about the 300 Blk! Wish to stand at 200 mm while I shoot you with a 300 Blk!:rolleyes: I've shot my 300 Blk out past 300 yards with great accuracy - hitting milk jugs and Clay pigeons- 3" clays! All this with a 16" and shooting supers and cast bullets! Now I agree shooting an AK47 at 200 yards is pretty much hit and miss unless scoped. Use that same 7.62 x39 in a SKS whole differnt animal- I regularly pop Milk jugs and clays at over 250 yards with my Yugo SKS- open sites! :D Shooting the 300 blk past 300 yards is more of a challenge for sure but it can be done and it is effective !

thopkins22
08-12-13, 18:09
Wish to stand at 200 mm while I shoot you with a 300 Blk!:rolleyes:

I hate this argument when it comes to calibers. I don't want to stand 1500 meters and let you shoot at me with a .22lr pistol either...doesn't make it a good choice for you if you're trying to hit me quickly while under stress.

mastiffhound
08-12-13, 18:23
125gr OTM 300 BLK 16" barrel per AAC website:

2215 Fps, bc of .338, Sight Height(inches) 1.5, 100 yard zero

800 yards, 976 fps, 264 energy(ft.lbs), -417.6 Trajectory(inches), 49.8 come up in MOA, 14.5 come up in mils.

7.62 Nato 147gr. 16" barrel, Sight Height(inches) 1.5, 100 yard zero,

Since this is military ammo it has slight differences but I'll go with the lowest (worst) numbers I can find. This means I'm going to handicap 7.62 a little. The BC is between .393 and .416. .393 is what I'll use. 2733 fps from a 24 inch barrel, per inch loss is around 25-30 fps. So I'll go with 30. Making velocity from a 16" barrel 2493 fps. Now mix thoroughly through ballistic calculator.

800 yards, 1149 fps, 431 energy(ft.lbs) -285.8 Trajectory(inches), 34.1 come up in moa, 9.9 come up in mils

Can Travis Haley shoot 300BLK 800 yards and beyond? Sure he can. Does it mean it's the best round for the job? No. Most will say that 800 is the max for 7.62 NATO. There are a lot of youtube videos showing .223 getting hits at 800 yards. I've seen guys shoot .22lr out to 400 yards also, it doesn't mean that either are the best for those particular ranges. I wasn't saying it was impossible, just that 300BLK isn't the best round for longer range.

Noodles
08-12-13, 18:42
..... MUST WE go through this again and again? You have a heavier bullet not moving as fast with a worse BC. It's going to handle wind worse and it's going to drop "more". It could have a better bullet if you selected it, or worse.

Using 125gr Seirra Pro Hunter vs 77gr SMK with analytical data pulled from online in a couple sources and averaged:

REMOVED PICTURE, accidentally used G1 BCs with a G7 calc.

You can look at energy (which few people doubt the 30 cal has better terminal ballistics), you can look at wind in inches, drop in inches, whatever. It's just not a great round past 200-250. The 556, is a lot cheaper and always will be, more common, and goes longer when you need it to. It requires a little more work for a suppressed gun but certainly nothing that requires you to adopt a whole new cartridge. And 300blk excels at shorter barrels because of it's more efficient use of powder in them, this isn't a one to replace the other, at best 300blk is a complement to 556 if you have an application for that.

Personally, I look at that with a 300y zero on both, a dead hold on a 556 gun gets you a hit from 0y to 350y on a 12" target. Meaning you can wildly under or over estimate your range GREATLY anywhere between and still hit vital on a 12" target. The same zero and range for the 300blk gun nets you a whopping 260y to maybe 335y-ish. This just means you need to be ON YOUR SHIT for ranging a 300y target with a 300blk gun. Something that's easy if you have the time to do it.

The end all to this thread, is if you have to ask, the answer is 556.

Agnostic
08-12-13, 20:30
I'm not trying to be a douche, but I think you ran your tables with G1 values plugged in as G7 values. At 1000 yards, 1600fps seems smoking fast for 5.56.

For me, 5.56 is definitely the answer.

Noodles
08-12-13, 21:56
I'm not trying to be a douche, but I think you ran your tables with G1 values plugged in as G7 values. At 1000 yards, 1600fps seems smoking fast for 5.56.

For me, 5.56 is definitely the answer.

Nope, you were correct! Removed the pic, modified the ranges for 300blk and 556.

I still think the 300blk is a great idea in theory. And if you absolutely need the shortest gun possible, or you know you'll never ever need to extend past 200y, do it. But I can't support another caliber right now. As far as the short gun thing goes, an 8-9" AR is cool in pictures, but I like a longer grip and lower recoil personally. And if we're talking "SHTF" or Apocalypse (QE5), or whatever... **** if I'm going to limit myself to a distance that any idiot can hit at if I can help it.

After taking my carbine one week and shooting 1200rounds in a class, then taking the same gun the next week and shooting out to 750... There is no question. The theoretical vs practical just does not win out.

Wormydog1724
08-12-13, 22:10

Why are you so hostile? Did my thread defile an otherwise pristine forum? I thought this was a place to learn.

If it was just too stupid for you to handle, there's a handy backwards arrow at the top-left-corner of your screen that you might find useful. For those of you who were kind enough to give your thoughts in a positive light, I appreciate it.

You need to slow your roll and think about what the **** you are saying and just exactly who the **** you are saying it to.
I'm not talking about me. I'm talking about the guy whose name starts with I and ends with -raqgunz. If you want to stay around here long, best to straighten up, learn some respect.
Since you want to tell me how to navigate my computer, I'll give you some advice about yours. Towards the top right corner of the webpage there's a handy little button that says 'search this forum'. Use it the next time you think of a question and save us all from you trollish posts.

/thread.

Agnostic
08-12-13, 22:17
The 5.56 makes much more sense for me. I don't reload, which is one reason I prefer the 5.56. I like shooting from within 50 yards to out past 500 yards, and it is my opinion that the 5.56 trajectory makes that easier for me. And, with a good load, I don't feel like I would be outgunned with 5.56 in a SD/HD situation. In fact, I plan to have my next AR be a devoted HD firearm, chambered in 5.56.

But, if I reloaded, still went deer hunting (muleys here in UT), or wanted to run subs, I might be all over the 300 Blackout.

SeriousStudent
08-12-13, 22:21
You need to slow your roll and think about what the **** you are saying and just exactly who the **** you are saying it to.
I'm not talking about me. I'm talking about the guy whose name starts with I and ends with -raqgunz. If you want to stay around here long, best to straighten up, learn some respect.
Since you want to tell me how to navigate my computer, I'll give you some advice about yours. Towards the top right corner of the webpage there's a handy little button that says 'search this forum'. Use it the next time you think of a question and save us all from you trollish posts.

/thread.

Quoted for truth.

At M4C, the Industry Professional tag is not passed out like a bag of Gummi Bears at a third-grade picnic. It's for people who have decades of knowledge in a specific field.

It's a good plan to listen to them.

Tacti-square
08-12-13, 22:48
At M4C, the Industry Professional tag is not passed out like a bag of Gummi Bears at a third-grade picnic. It's for people who have decades of knowledge in a specific field.

It's a good plan to listen to them.

It's a lot easier to listen to someone when they say more than "this is stupid."

C-grunt
08-12-13, 22:55
Tacti-square you might want to read the mission statement of this forum. It's not a forum for target shooters. Here the AR is considered a fighting tool not a weekend toy.

Many people who post here are in the business of shooting people and might not come across as soft as people in other forums. It's much like the military, you need thick skin.

If you haven't been around people like that then it can be a bit of a shock. If you have been in those circles then stop whining and listen to advice given and Charlie Mike.

SeriousStudent
08-12-13, 23:24
It's a lot easier to listen to someone when they say more than "this is stupid."

It's also a lot easier to use a search button as well, rather than create another post about 300 Blackout versus 5.56. That's what my colleague was driving at. We've also done the .45 versus 9mm, .380 versus .38 backup pistols - etc, etc, etc.

You will find your stay here longer and more productive if you read more and also use search function more. It's that rectangular orange doodad at the upper right of the page.

And we're done. Have a good week, everybody.

Iraqgunz
08-12-13, 23:26
At the very beginning of this thread I made mention of you reading the pages of info that have been posted in regards to the 300 BLK. There is plenty of data there. Others have nudged you along the way as well. But for some reason you don't seem to want to read it.

Do some reading on the cartridge and understand that it does fill a certain role. It may not be for everyone and it may not cure leprosy but it does have merits.

You need to understand what it can do and is capable of and what it's not capable of.

You can't expect everyone to fish for you, cook the meal, serve it and do the dishes. You have to do some research and critical thinking of your own.