PDA

View Full Version : Skid Plate

KUSA
08-11-13, 00:51
Has anyone tried this and if so what is your opinion of it?
http://www.triadtactical.com/Sniper-Skid-Plate.html

ra2bach
08-11-13, 07:14
I'd place the forearm of my rifle on something soft rather than strapping another doodad to it...

Krull
08-11-13, 07:26
Lord knows I'm not no high speed guy but....wouldn't one of those big rectangle handguard rail covers do about the same thing?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-11-13, 08:50
Has anyone tried this and if so what is your opinion of it?
http://www.triadtactical.com/Sniper-Skid-Plate.html

OP, what is your perceived use and need for such a product?

Chorizo
08-11-13, 08:52
Seems more practical than some of the crap I see hanging off of rifles.

If you have had to move and shoot from cover, the potential practicality of this is obvious. It could have its place for a DM.

Edit: I haven't strapped one on and used it. It may not work for crap or it may be just the ticket.

KUSA
08-11-13, 09:24
I'd place the forearm of my rifle on something soft rather than strapping another doodad to it...

I thought the same thing at first but apparently the material its made of allows you to manage the recoil off of barricades. Per the website it states.
1-What does it do?..
.It allows you to shoot off a barricade accurately, and negates the recoil physics of the rifle recoil. If you do not use an intermediate soft material, such as a bean bag, a jacket, it causes a reaction where the rifle will "Jump" on recoil and will severely impede your ability to take a follow up shot.
I know that a lot of products are simply an answer for a nonexistent problem so I wanted get some feedback from anyone that has tried it.

MarkG
08-11-13, 10:20
550 cord over the top of the hand guard? Probably not a good idea...

Shorts
08-11-13, 13:50
Neat idea but I see lot of ways to improve this light use piece to more heavy duty longevity.

The velcro won't stand up to heavy duty use. Period. When it comes to products in the field they have to be attached using a fasterner system of sort. Be it snaps, straps, tie downs, but not velcro.

Doubt the cord will last long either after the barrel heat cycles enough.

The use of fabric thread is dead giveaway this isn't for heavy duty use. Sewing on a standard fabric sewing machine with light duty thread, small needles and many stitches per inch indicates this won't be long lasting for heavy duty field work. The stitching is a weak point. You pull one snag and the entire line unravels.

Also the way the pad is laced is weak. The cording should go through an eyelet in the pad itself, not another cord that is stitched on. It'd be ripped off in no time, especially after heat cycling. Again, all it takes is the thread snagging and unraveling and there goes attachment.

Anyway, there are a few ways to improve that for heavier duty use. Obviously the maker came up with an item to serve a purpose - pad the stock from getting scratched up when using a rest in the field.

jpeezy
08-11-13, 15:42
We routinely shoot from 100 yards with our rails on barricades at steel with no issues. As long as your not placing your barrel on the barricade you should be good to go. Unless your shooting something else, recoil mitigation on the 556 platform is minimal, and resting the rail on the barricade allows for faster follow up shots (only surpassed by prone). It's not a lot of dough and if your curious, jump on it and hit us up win a range report. Good luck.

NCHornet
08-11-13, 19:23
Can you say HEAT SINK??? To be a honest it is a fix looking for a problem. YMMV..........?

RogerinTPA
08-11-13, 19:58
Quite frankly, I doubt you'll find anyone here using it, or willing to admit to using one.:D I thought that's what rail covers were for. Try shooting around, under and through barricades & vehicles and you'll see this new widget has no practical need...at all, unless of course your a sniper :). Another marketing gimmick in my opinion.

Grizzlyatoms
08-11-13, 20:01
Just more sh*t to carry,I know it doesn't look heavy, but Oz.'s add up to pounds.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

Shorts
08-11-13, 20:11
Seems like this would go better on a nice wood stock rifle the user didn't want to scratch up.

MoCop
08-11-13, 20:17
The way I look at it, if you want to try it, go for it. It's your money. Even if you're not going to be shooting at the talibani in wherethefudgeistan for a super secret squirrel team.

scoutfsu99
08-11-13, 20:24
550 cord over the top of the hand guard? Probably not a good idea...

Meh. Its done everyday.

KUSA
08-11-13, 20:26
I appreciate all the replies. I am not worried about scratches on my rifle as it just adds to the character. What interested me was the claim of gripping on barricades. There are so many things that you can put on an AR and most of it is questionable so I wanted to run it by the pros here.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

elephantrider
08-11-13, 20:37
These are not really intended for use on your typical AR rifle or carbine, not that you couldn't if you really wanted to. These are primarily for long range/precision rifles, bolt actions and AR-10 types. It's a little misleading showing it on an M4, as it wont be much help there.

You will find some precision/tactical rifle competitors using them as a pad for their rifle forearm while shooting off of barricades. It helps alleviate the recoil bounce that comes from resting the forearm on a hard surface, as well as allowing the shooter to load the rifle against the barricade due to the grip that the pad surface has. It has a purpose, but isn't really useful on your typical AR, maybe on a dedicated SPR or DMR rifle.

I have one for my bolt action, but haven't really had a chance to use it yet.

HighSpeedDreams
03-25-15, 19:40
If anyone bought this and wants to get rid of it, let me know.

BGREID
03-26-15, 10:15
I see no use for that.

556BlackRifle
03-26-15, 12:24
Covers up the vent holes on your handguard and adds more weight to your kit. Not for me but YMMV....

ScatmanCrothers
03-26-15, 19:29
Covers up the vent holes on your handguard and adds more weight to your kit. Not for me but YMMV....

The weight is negligible and it covers up no more surface area than standard rail covers do on the heat dissipation front. I've got one on a NSR and have been using it for over a year now because I couldn't stand the NSR covers at the time as far as durability, feel, and heat protection go. It has a slightly gritty feel that gives nice traction and if you're using it on a hunting rifle it allows you to be absolutely silent when moving the rifle over a barrier/tree stand tracking a target. Not to mention it's wrapped around the handguard as close as possible without any noticeable addition to diameter.

The combination of the velcro strips on each end running the length of the cover and the cord strung up in between the 1913 sections makes it unmovable when it's installed.

The reactions to it in person are funny though. I've had guys at the range scoff at it numerous times and even got a "how tacticool of you." For a piece of material wrapped around a handguard and strung up with some cord it really rustles some jimmies. But for what it costs and how it performs compared to other tubular handguard cover options I couldn't care less about how people perceive it. It works and it works well.

TF82
03-27-15, 08:20
I considered trying one of these out as a rail cover of sorts for my Geissele MK2 since there aren't really many options on that front. The fact that it looks huge in the picture turned me off and the more I've shot with that rail, the less I feel the need for covers on it. If I remember correctly, however, ScatmanCrothers posted a picture or two of his where it looked a lot more viable as a rail cover than it does in the advertising.

sevenhelmet
03-27-15, 09:49
Mmmm... nah. I'm not really sold on the idea.

ScatmanCrothers
03-28-15, 12:49
I considered trying one of these out as a rail cover of sorts for my Geissele MK2 since there aren't really many options on that front. The fact that it looks huge in the picture turned me off and the more I've shot with that rail, the less I feel the need for covers on it. If I remember correctly, however, ScatmanCrothers posted a picture or two of his where it looked a lot more viable as a rail cover than it does in the advertising.

Their advertising for AR type rifles is definitely terrible. Not sure why they chose a quadrail and standard M4 handguards covered with their large size skid plate. They're a much more viable option on tubular rails using the small size pad.