PDA

View Full Version : Joe Arpaio arming deputies with AR-15

platoonDaddy
08-11-13, 11:17
I would have loss a million dollar bet, for sure I assumed all sheriffs (due to the large area they cover) especially Joe's men carried some type of AR. My son-in-law is a game warden and is issued: sidearm, shotgun and AR-15.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio made the announcement on Thursday, the same day one of his employees, 27-year-old Jorge Vargas, was gunned down as he walked into his driveway to head to work.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/11/arizona-sheriff-arming-deputies-with-ar-15-style-rifles-to-fight-back-against/

SeriousStudent
08-11-13, 11:37
Prayers sent for Deputy Vargas and his family. I had not heard about his murder before. :(

NeoNeanderthal
08-11-13, 11:45
Up here in new england it's slightly less of a travesty if an officer is armed with a handgun and maybe a shotgun. The terrain around here is so dense and hilly, it's hard to even find a place to shoot long distance.

Out in az you can see for miles. Not arming cops with rifles is insane!

On a side note, thats exactly what mass issued Ar's should look like- magpul furniture, aimpoint pros ext ext. S&W isn't a terrible way to go either. My town's cops have stag rifles that the "local armorer" built for them because they make guns "better than colt." :-(

Iraqgunz
08-11-13, 13:43
Many agencies and officers to include MCSO already had AR's. He basically just passed out a lot more. I hope that they have enough ammo and sense to get their personnel properly trained and run through a patrol rifle course.

platoonDaddy
08-11-13, 17:04
Many agencies and officers to include MCSO already had AR's. He basically just passed out a lot more. I hope that they have enough ammo and sense to get their personnel properly trained and run through a patrol rifle course.

Oh, that makes sense, thanks for sharing. For sure on properly trained in a patrol rifle course.

Missing from my OP: Rest in Peace Officer Vargas and prayers to you and your family.

SWATcop556
08-11-13, 18:01
IG already stated it but I'm pretty sure many of the MCSO Deputies have AR's. Sheriff's Joe is just putting even MORE on the streets and out to his people. They look like a well thought out setup too.

Iraqgunz
08-11-13, 18:33
In AZ all DPS personnel who are on the street are required to have an AR15 in their vehicle as well. The current standard issue is a Colt 6920 with Troy rail, Streamlight TLR-1 and Magpul stock and rear BUIS.

I believe the number I was told is like 1200 units. They have all but removed the 12ga. from the vehicles.

I am doing a class at the end of August in Flagstaff and am going to ask some questions about the various flavors and agencies. I think we are going to have personnel from 5 different agencies there. Plus whatever local civilians.

C-grunt
08-12-13, 12:53
I find it odd that he is demanding they keep it with them 24/7.

Here in Phoenix we have all but replaced the shotguns with ARs and it makes sense. Phoenix is a very spread out open layout style city. I work right in the middle and there are several places in my squad area that would require anywhere from 75-200 yards of standoff if there was a situation. Not to mention the outer edges of the city. My old squad area was around 45 square miles. A few years back, early 2000s I believe, they had a shootout with a homicide suspect up off Carefree Highway that was finished by a patrol officer taking a 320+ yard shot on the bad guy with an iron sighted Colt Hbar 20 inch.

Iraqgunz
08-12-13, 17:31
I remember hearing about this during the Patrol Rifle class I took. I don't remember the exact distance, but it was way further than the average.

I find it odd that he is demanding they keep it with them 24/7.

Here in Phoenix we have all but replaced the shotguns with ARs and it makes sense. Phoenix is a very spread out open layout style city. I work right in the middle and there are several places in my squad area that would require anywhere from 75-200 yards of standoff if there was a situation. Not to mention the outer edges of the city. My old squad area was around 45 square miles. A few years back, early 2000s I believe, they had a shootout with a homicide suspect up off Carefree Highway that was finished by a patrol officer taking a 320+ yard shot on the bad guy with an iron sighted Colt Hbar 20 inch.

J-Dub
08-13-13, 00:38
This is they type of shit that pisses me off....and makes me think twice about leaving at the same time everyday (I try not to).

At least be man enough to give us a fighting chance. But they wont do that because they are cowards.......

Ambush type killings are skyrocketing..

_Stormin_
08-13-13, 10:21
A few years back, early 2000s I believe, they had a shootout with a homicide suspect up off Carefree Highway that was finished by a patrol officer taking a 320+ yard shot on the bad guy with an iron sighted Colt Hbar 20 inch.

Thats one heck of a shot with irons if the guy doesn't regularly shoot/compete...

I will admit, given how our local LEOs are all set up, I would have assumed that the AR was as standard as a Taser.

C-grunt
08-13-13, 17:51
Thats one heck of a shot with irons if the guy doesn't regularly shoot/compete...

I will admit, given how our local LEOs are all set up, I would have assumed that the AR was as standard as a Taser.

Here in Phoenix patrol officers have to show good marksmanship with a handgun before you can be chosen for the rifle class. Our rifle class is 40 hours and actually is pretty damn good training. You shoot a lot of ammo during those 40 hours and out to 300 yards.

After that we get training days every quarter that last about 6 hours and one a year that's 10 hours. Qual isn't to hard but it is strict. missed shot off target is instant failure and lines count as out. two failures in a row and you are out of the program until you complete a 10 hour refresher class.

The training is pretty good too. Our instructors take classes from the big name guys and pattern their instruction off of it. The program even flew out LAV and another guy (cant remember his name but a well known prior Delta guy) to put on a class for us at reduced cost.

The departments handgun training is definitely lacking but the guys that run the rifle stuff are really on their game.

jpmuscle
08-13-13, 19:02
Prayers sent for Deputy Vargas and his family. I had not heard about his murder before. :(

x2

Here in Phoenix patrol officers have to show good marksmanship with a handgun before you can be chosen for the rifle class. Our rifle class is 40 hours and actually is pretty damn good training. You shoot a lot of ammo during those 40 hours and out to 300 yards.

After that we get training days every quarter that last about 6 hours and one a year that's 10 hours. Qual isn't to hard but it is strict. missed shot off target is instant failure and lines count as out. two failures in a row and you are out of the program until you complete a 10 hour refresher class.

The training is pretty good too. Our instructors take classes from the big name guys and pattern their instruction off of it. The program even flew out LAV and another guy (cant remember his name but a well known prior Delta guy) to put on a class for us at reduced cost.

The departments handgun training is definitely lacking but the guys that run the rifle stuff are really on their game.

Ya'll hiring? :p

seriously.

Moose-Knuckle
08-13-13, 19:47
I'm glad Arpaio is arming his deputies (at least the ones that don't have their own). Those S&Ws he bought look good out of the box.

Mac5.56
08-13-13, 20:00
Up here in new england it's slightly less of a travesty if an officer is armed with a handgun and maybe a shotgun. The terrain around here is so dense and hilly, it's hard to even find a place to shoot long distance.

Not sure where you are but here in the Hudson Valley my friend who is a deputy has deployed with his department issued AR multiple times to deal with some really bad dudes.

Mac5.56
08-13-13, 20:07
IThey look like a well thought out setup too.

They do look like a well thought out set up minus that insanely long flash hider. I saw one of these SW's the other day with that hider on it and at first glance I thought it was a 20". What a waste of space if you ask me.

C-grunt
08-14-13, 00:05
x2

Ya'll hiring? :p

seriously.

Haven hired anyone since 08. But when we do its going to have to be a ton of people on bring us back up to full operational levels.