PDA

View Full Version : Vanguard 2 VS. Raven ACR? Opinions please.

Rohardi
08-11-13, 13:05
I am currently carrying my Glock 19 in a Raven Vanguard 2. I really like the minimalistic aspect of this set up. I have been thinking about getting the Raven ACR, I just don't know if it will offer much benefit over the Vanguard that's been working so well for me. Any one have experience with both that can share their experiences with the two set ups?

mikejg
08-11-13, 14:14
I went from the VG2 to the ACR. I prefer the ACR over the VG2. For reference I'm about 5'6" and 155lbs.

The ACR is MUCH more stable on my belt (obviously), due to their being two belt loop locations. It offers a much cleaner and more consistent draw. I also, find it to be more comfortable than the VG2. With the VG2 the front of the pistol would always dig into my hip flexor/groin area and hurt after extended periods of sitting. Not so with the ACR.

The VG2 conceals slightly better, as I can have a negative cant which helps the grip not stick out as much. Conversely, The ACR allows the base of the grip to stick out slightly, which is slightly more difficult to conceal, but it is a sacrifice I'm willing to make and account for.

My vote is for the ACR.

drtywk
08-11-13, 14:49
I have run both and my preference is for the VG2. The ACR, although nice, did not work with my body type, 6'8" 290. It was too wide and would print regardless of how I adjusted it or what cover garment I was wearing. It was also way to rigid and had a number of rough edges that would irritate my skin. With that said, it is well made and should work for most people, just not me.

I am currently running the VG2 and it is ideal for my needs, as it slims the pistol down to just the frame and slide, so it doesn't pinch or abrade my clothes or skin. Plus I don't worry about having to reholster and pinch any skin while doing so.

I should add that I also picked up an INCOG and am liking how it rides as well as being able to position the gun in multiple positions on my belt.

Trajan
08-11-13, 15:18
Two totally different beasts when it comes to holsters. The VG2 is designed as a "deep concealment" holster. It's great for carrying a gun while not carrying a gun, much as some guys carry J-frames for that purpose.

You won't be able to take classes with the VG 2 though.

As far as the ACR, the design is a bit dated. There are better options out there. Check out Dark Star Gear AIWB or the CCC Shaggy. Both have a wedge under the belt line to push the grip inwards.

SpyderMan2k4
08-11-13, 16:27
You won't be able to take classes with the VG 2 though.

It can be done, but it takes practive to be smooth with it and quick enough to not hold up a firing line. I recently took a class with one of the guys from RCS who ran the VG2, and he was very slick with undoing the snap and taking it out, putting it on the trigger guard, and inserting in the pants and refastening the loop to the belt. Very slick indeed. Obviously, you must actually remove the holster each time, but with some practice its not as slow and laborious as many people believe it to be.

If you are smooth with it, you can always ask the instructor if you can run it.

l8apex
08-12-13, 00:19
Personally for me the VG2 gets the job done in the 'civie' world 90% of the time. For training I default to one my other AIWB holsters or OWB if it calls for it.

It conceals well for me on the Ares Ranger belt at just around 1130 and doesn't move. It doesn't print even with slightly fitted shirts. Something that I would be able to do with my other holsters.

MitchK
08-12-13, 07:47
I use the vg2 for edc. It works great for me. The only downside is reholstering. If I pull my G19 for real, reholstering will be the least of my worries. I also have a Phantom set up OWB for range days.

Voodoo_Man
08-12-13, 08:29
I have a VG2.

Its very minimalistic and for that I like it. I wear it with a g26, shorts and a tshirt, which is awesome.