PDA

View Full Version : Which S&W revolvers are available with no lock

jmoore
08-11-13, 14:20
Stuck with only the iPhone for a while - so searching websites is a bit of a PITA at the moment. Hence my question......

Which revolvers from S&W are currently minus "the lock"??

TIA

blind john

gtmtnbiker98
08-11-13, 18:28
442/642 and M&P 340 in limited runs.

ST911
08-11-13, 20:07
OP- Updated your thread title to reflect the subject, rather than just "question."

cathellsk
08-14-13, 22:50
Various Centennial J frame models only.

Drywall Man
08-28-13, 07:01
I would just buy used in good condition if you want the model and caliber of your choosing with no lock.
For instance I just ran up on this Smith model 29-2 this weekend for $800 flat. It is a full target model and the trigger is scary good on it. I didn't feel that was bad at all although I would have preferred a 6 or 4 inch barrel.
This just seemed like a good buy and I couldn't pass up a nickle plated smith m29 anyways..
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee502/KobraKomander/null_zps424e58a2.jpg (http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/KobraKomander/media/null_zps424e58a2.jpg.html)

T2C
08-28-13, 08:15
Is there any truth to the rumor that the handguns with the locks are for the most part being shipped to states that require them? It would make sense.

Any time a manufacturer can eliminate a process and charge the same money for a product, it is an attractive proposition.

C4IGrant
08-28-13, 08:32
This one: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=150544

C4

Miami_JBT
08-28-13, 14:23
Smith & Wesson Centennial J-Frames like the Model 642 and Model 442.

SeriousStudent
08-28-13, 22:46
This one: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=150544

C4

Grant, I know they don't give you ETA's, but do you think S&W will make any more Model 43C's? That was sweet pistol I'd love to send you money for.

Suwannee Tim
08-29-13, 20:15
......http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee502/KobraKomander/null_zps424e58a2.jpg (http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/KobraKomander/media/null_zps424e58a2.jpg.html)

That's a nice gun Drywall. Good price too.

CAVDOC
09-02-13, 21:20
In my neck of the woods used smith revolvers are common as dirt I see no reason to buy a new one. Old used smiths tend to have better parts and smoother actions than today's anyway.

Doc Safari
09-10-13, 09:47
442/642 and M&P 340 in limited runs.

So we won't be able to get no-lock versions of these forever? The reason I ask is that two or three months ago I went to a gun show and at least 3 or 4 dealers had no-lock 642's. Now it seems like I don't see any at all no matter where I go.

Glad I got mine but I was hoping S&W would continue the trend toward more and more models being made without the internal lock, not that it was some kind of "limited edition" nonsense.

youreacrab
10-01-13, 20:10
So we won't be able to get no-lock versions of these forever? The reason I ask is that two or three months ago I went to a gun show and at least 3 or 4 dealers had no-lock 642's. Now it seems like I don't see any at all no matter where I go.

Glad I got mine but I was hoping S&W would continue the trend toward more and more models being made without the internal lock, not that it was some kind of "limited edition" nonsense.

They've been making them for a while, they just make a batch every now and then and then try seem to dry up until the next batch comes out. One of the vendors posted above has them in stock.

Petrov
10-21-13, 09:24
The proper term is "clinton hole"

Bandanabandit1
10-22-13, 22:59
Basically now all of the new productions Smiths will have the lock. If I were in the market for a revolver I would definitely look at the older production models, and if that isn't something you would want to do maybe go look at other manufacturers.

RussB
10-26-13, 21:53
Has anyone had a "lock failure"? I shoot some matches, mostly steel these days here in southern New England and have yet to see a S&W with or without a lock fail at a match. My only S&W with a lock, a 627-4 in 38 Super has never faltered.

I get it if you just don't want a S&W with a lock, but as far as it being a concern in regards to reliability? I sure haven't seen it

SeriousStudent
10-26-13, 22:08
I know of a former moderator on this board that had a issue with a lock failing on his Smith and Wesson .22 J-frame revolver. It locked up and the gun had to be sent back to the plant, IIRC.

John Farnam's blog mentions that he personally has seen three guns lock up during classes. That was years ago, the number may be higher now.

I have a 642 in my left front pocket right now. The safety lock has been removed, and a steel filler plug installed in it's place.

ST911
10-27-13, 11:46
Has anyone had a "lock failure"? I shoot some matches, mostly steel these days here in southern New England and have yet to see a S&W with or without a lock fail at a match. My only S&W with a lock, a 627-4 in 38 Super has never faltered.

I get it if you just don't want a S&W with a lock, but as far as it being a concern in regards to reliability? I sure haven't seen it

Unwanted lock activation is legit, and has been written up at various lengths by some noteworthies. Give the gun more (inertia?) by reducing size, weight, and increasing recoil impulse and it becomes more likely. These are trends that can be managed somewhat.

Somewhere online, perhaps a dedicated S&W or revolver forum, an engineer-type went into some excruciating detail on the mechanical and energy basis for it. I regret not capturing it for reference. Someone else may have a link.

S&W offers the 442 and 642 without a lock, and I run these for EDC. I keep hearing more are being added to that list, but time will tell.

Bello
10-27-13, 12:08
You can also just take out the lock/flag and plug the hole with never a problem again. I've personally never had a lock "just lock up" on me. SW forums a guy sells the plug in any gun color after you remove the flag. Good luck with your choice.

Rob

Artos
10-27-13, 12:45
I know some of the new S&W are fine firearms...some really neat stuff out of the custom shop, but those older P&R smiths can really be a smarter purchase.

They certainly hold their value better.

I don't think I would pay for one with a lock unless it was one of the top shelf at a steal price...heck, first thing I did when Remington made that j-lock with the crappy scrunched up spring inside the bolt handle was replace it before even shooting the damn thing.

I've always called them lawyer locks & was wondring how long it would take before someone had to use it & forget it was locked. Never heard of any stories with the smith, but I had LOTS of fun at deer camp dangling a j-lock key in front of hunting buddies who could not open their bolts.:) I still keep one in my gear bag just in case so a trip won't be ruined.

RussB
10-27-13, 13:10
Lock failure is disconcerting. Not that big a deal in my game gun, but a real nightmare if it happened in a carry piece.

I've been meaning to bob the hammer on that 627, maybe I'll remove the lock too

RussB
10-30-13, 21:27
I ordered one of those pins that fills in the lock's latch

brushy bill
11-05-13, 18:23
Basically now all of the new productions Smiths will have the lock. If I were in the market for a revolver I would definitely look at the older production models, and if that isn't something you would want to do maybe go look at other manufacturers.

If I discovered a lock equipped S&W lying on the roadside, I'd only pick it up to keep a kid from getting hold of it.