PDA

View Full Version : G19 holster suggestions?

mysak
08-11-13, 15:26
I just got a G19 and Im in the 10 waiting period (commiefornia) and Im looking for a holster. I was originally looking at the Raven Concealment phantom LC for use with a x300 they have the quick ship option which now says ship in 5 days. I am open to suggestions, I don't think I am thin enough for AIWB.

SPDGG
08-11-13, 15:33
- What will you be using this for? App.?
- Will the light be mounted 100% of the time?

AIWB: Its VERY dependent on each shooters build
- imho: You have to try it to see if you can live with it & ABOVE ALL BE SAFE with it.

Few kydex names:
- JM Custom Kydex
- CCC Shaggy
- Dark Star Gear
- Kolbeson Leatherworks
- Keeper Concealment

AIWB Leather:
- 5 Shot Leather SME

mysak
08-11-13, 15:55
Thanks I'll look into it, manly for concealed carry but I'd also run it in classes.

SpyderMan2k4
08-11-13, 16:14
AIWB works pretty well regardless of body type. I've seen guys that are sticks and guys that are massive both conceal it well. If you are willing to be diligent and careful with it, its worth considering.

If you decide to go with AIWB, research The Keeper. Pricey with a long wait, but its the best AIWB holster there is.

For regular IWB (3-4:00), I've always been a fan of Crossbreed, but there's a lot of great holster options out there.

fourXfour
08-11-13, 16:38
I'm a big fan of Raven Concealment and now also G-Code.

My usual holster array for a Glock is a RC Phantom, VG2 and a G-Code INCOG.

The phantom is great especially with the light attached, but does not conceal well for me. The VG2 is the most comfortable holster I have ever used, but reholstering under stress is impossible. The INCOG has a great feel and does conceal well, but I'm still trying to figure out the best place to wear it. The clips are ingenious.

I've tried a few up and coming kydex companies and I have not been happy. One company's kydex was sharp and not polished. I received one holster that was nicely made but it didn't fit my gun. I've learned to stick with the companies that have a solid reputation.

currahee
08-11-13, 16:43
I have had this about 6 months and really liked it
http://www.skdtac.com/SKD-Tactical-Belt-Claw-IWB-Holster-p/rdt.209.htm

I see they only have left handed models in stock... I had to wait for mine too.

drtywk
08-11-13, 17:32
I'm a big fan of Raven Concealment and now also G-Code.

The phantom is great especially with the light attached, but does not conceal well for me. The VG2 is the most comfortable holster I have ever used, but reholstering under stress is impossible. The INCOG has a great feel and does conceal well, but I'm still trying to figure out the best place to wear it. The clips are ingenious.

^This... I run all of these same holsters for my G19's and cannot recommend the Phantom, Phantom LC and VG2 enough. I have and like the INCOG as well, but am still playing with where to wear it so it conceals/wears the best. I also have an INCOG for my M&P Shield, which is about as good a holster that I can find for IWB carry. I wish RCS would make a VG2 for the Shield!!! My next holster purchase for the Shield will be an RCS Phantom for OWB.

onado2000
08-11-13, 17:53
I just bought a Raven for my G19 and have to say so far its not for me. i want to try a different belt to see if it will work/fit. I want to make it work, its well made , just doesnt fit my body type. Honestly so far Don Hume holster works well for 19 AIWB carry w/out belt ( i'm 5' 11" 230lbs). Trial and error.

thatpanda
08-11-13, 17:54
If your just getting into concealed carry holster selection can be a tricky thing. Everyone has different tastes so what works for one person may not work for another, holster selection for me came down to a system of trial and error. Buy a holster and try it out, if I didn't like it I sell it and try something else. I took in all the advice I could but in the end I ended up buying and selling a crapload of holsters. Everyone that's been carrying for a long time ends up with that "drawer full of holsters" for a reason.

The best place to start would be figure out how and where your going to be carrying, AIWB, IWB, OWB, etc. For me the most comfortable position to carry is 3 oclock either IWB or OWB. I use IWB when I'm running strictly pistol, and OWB when I'm running pistol and a carbine. Everyone likes to put their pistol in different places, it's up to you to figure out where you want to put yours. For me 3 oclock works best, and I've tried AIWB and it just didn't work for me. I've learned that 1 holster will not do everything, and I ended up with different holsters for different applications. For example my daily concealed carry setup is all leather because I think it's more comfortable when lugging a G19 around all day, comfort is an important factor. My pistol training setup is basically a kydex version of my leather carry gear, because I prefer kydex for training. My OWB stuff is kydex because kydex OWB is comfortable enough for all day carry. In the end I ended up with a plethora of holsters that I use for different applications.

My best advice would be to stick with quality brands that have a good reputation. I have a bunch of Raven Concealment gear and its top notch stuff, my favorite kydex by far. For leather I like Milt sparks, TT gunleather, and the Beltman for leather belts, all top quality gear.

cpoth
08-11-13, 18:00
"I'm a big fan of Raven Concealment and now also G-Code.

The phantom is great especially with the light attached, but does not conceal well for me. The VG2 is the most comfortable holster I have ever used, but reholstering under stress is impossible. The INCOG has a great feel and does conceal well, but I'm still trying to figure out the best place to wear it. The clips are ingenious."

+1 for this -> both Raven phantom series (LC or not) and the VG2 are awesome choices, the Incog from G-code is an absolute winner too. Keep in mind the attire you will need to wear to conceal a pistol plus x300 on your hip. Raven phantom for pistol and carbine classes, train separately with the Incog and VG2 - lots of dry fire and reps with your draw - could save your life.

-cpoth

mysak
08-11-13, 19:15
That's actually what I was thinking about a Raven LC with a cover garment and a INCOG for IWB. Thanks for the input

77thNYSV
08-11-13, 20:14
I just got a Raven Concealment phantom for my G19 through the quick ship option. Not only did it arrive in 5 days as they advertised, but the holster is excellent for concealed carry. I couldn't be any more pleased with my phantom holster.

Up1911fan
08-11-13, 22:48
I can't recommend JM Custom enough. I have 3 of his holsters for my G19. AIWB, OWB and an OWB/X300. Best kydex i've used, great attention to detail and communication. I actually just sent Tony a message earlier about a holster for a Sig I just picked up.

http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/

Biggy
08-11-13, 22:52
http://www.flccw.com/X-Concealment/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=190

mysak
08-12-13, 12:37
Ordered a Phantom LC! Still on the fence about a IWB option so the search continues!

streck
08-12-13, 12:40
Safariland concealment holsters. Model 27 for IWB and 5188 for OWB is a good start.

Hornbuckle
08-13-13, 02:58
I run a Galco King Tuk for my 19. I have a 28" waist so the gun usually ends up at about the 4 o'clock position, which is ideal for me. I like it, it's comfortable and conceals extremely well. Happy shopping.

titsonritz
08-13-13, 03:25
Dale Fricke Archangel

Plumber237
08-13-13, 07:33
One company that makes good IWB holsters that I haven't seen listed yet is Comp-Tac. Their MTAC is a really nice holster, it's got height and cant adjustment, plus kydex body swap out for use with different guns.

jondoe297
08-13-13, 07:45
I just got a G19 and Im in the 10 waiting period (commiefornia) and Im looking for a holster. I was originally looking at the Raven Concealment phantom LC for use with a x300 they have the quick ship option which now says ship in 5 days. I am open to suggestions, I don't think I am thin enough for AIWB.

Go with the Raven. You won't be disappointed.

punkey71
08-13-13, 08:24
One company that makes good IWB holsters that I haven't seen listed yet is Comp-Tac. Their MTAC is a really nice holster, it's got height and cant adjustment, plus kydex body swap out for use with different guns.

Excellent advice. I have moved to AIWB (JMCK) but when I did 3-4 O'Clock carry it was in an MTAC.

Very, very comfortable and swappable bodies are a huge plus. Adjustable height and cant as mentioned. I tried a half dozen OWB and the MTAC was my favorite.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

HalliganJoel
08-13-13, 08:35
FWIW- I'm a large fella myself and I AIWB (Appendix Inside Waist Band) all day long. I'm sure if you go to a gun store they will let you try some different stuff. That being said, the Raven's are awesome as per other posts. I use the G-Code INCOG for my 17/19.

Good luck, friend!

mysak
08-13-13, 10:21
The Raven LC I ordered is already being processed so that's good. As far as IWB/AIWB I just saw LC holster I believe made by Bravo Concealment anyone have any luck with them?

WickedWillis
08-13-13, 11:07
I've been waiting 8 weeks for my RT Tactical holster from Bravo concealment for my M&P Shield. The 1st kydex holster I bought was a Raven quick ship for my Glock 19 and it is amazing. The cut, finish and quality are all top notch and it justifies spending more from Raven. I will give you a rundown of the Bravo when and if I actually receive it.

The Raven LC I ordered is already being processed so that's good. As far as IWB/AIWB I just saw LC holster I believe made by Bravo Concealment anyone have any luck with them?

mysak
08-13-13, 16:42
Yeah let me know what you think of their stuff.

Five_Point_Five_Six
08-13-13, 17:46
Raven Concealment Systems for OWB carry.

Theis Holster with heavy duty kydex clips for IWB.

mikecon75
08-13-13, 19:54
I like the comp-tac c-tac, I have had one for a few years now and find it a very comfortable and very versatile holster.

aaron_c
08-13-13, 20:59
I've been using the RCS Vanguard 2 for a long time and it's great...although I've been considering taking a shot with the new(ish) Haley Incog holster.

jmk
08-13-13, 22:31
i've had the comp tac Minotaur MTAC for years. works.

going to give praetor defense a try for the winter:
http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/holsters/praetor-glock19-rh.html

Mak8080
08-13-13, 23:48
I'll add my .02 cents. Raven, Comp-tac, G-Code, Milt Sparks. I've had success with all of them.

brickboy240
08-14-13, 11:21
I have a Raven Concealment Phantom for my 3rd gen G19 and really like it.

-brickboy240