PDA

View Full Version : Some random rail questions....

berserker
08-11-13, 19:40
So, I'm building an SBR with an 11.5 barrel. I had planned on doing some type of slick side handguard after handling a friend's NSR-equipped carbine. However, I'm not really in love with any of my options. In particular, I've considered the Troys, Samson/Rainier Evos, and Noveskes. I would like to run a Magpul XTM handstop kit and a flashlight at the 6 o'clock position, which basically means I need a rail almost the entire 6'oclock spot. I'm just not liking the ergonomics of mounting a rail section, then that kit, on a slick side rail.

Does anyone, other than Fortis, make a handguard with rails at 12 and 6, and slick sides? If I have to go quad rail, is there a consensus on slimmest - seems maybe DD Omega?

Also, I had initially planned to do an 11" rail for the 11.5" barrel + A2 birdcage. I've since found that 11" really limits my options. I'd rather not go 10" due to slightly more limited sight radius and more limited real estate for my support hand (an I'm not gonna lie, 11" looks cooler). 12" would cover some if not all of the muzzle device, and I recall some threads where handguards were blasted apart by comps. Don't know if this is a concern with the A2 - if so, maybe a linear comp would solve that. But in general, is it a bad idea to do a 12" handguard over an 11.5" barrel?

F-Trooper05
08-11-13, 19:48
Have you looked at the 10" Geissele MK1? I used to have one and it was probably my favorite low profile hand guard (except for possibly the URX 3.1), and I think you can add rail sections all the way across the bottom of it (might be wrong, I never tried).

Iraqgunz
08-11-13, 20:46
I wouldn't mount it at 6 o'clock. That will solve your dilemma.

So, I'm building an SBR with an 11.5 barrel. I had planned on doing some type of slick side handguard after handling a friend's NSR-equipped carbine. However, I'm not really in love with any of my options. In particular, I've considered the Troys, Samson/Rainier Evos, and Noveskes. I would like to run a Magpul XTM handstop kit and a flashlight at the 6 o'clock position, which basically means I need a rail almost the entire 6'oclock spot. I'm just not liking the ergonomics of mounting a rail section, then that kit, on a slick side rail.

Does anyone, other than Fortis, make a handguard with rails at 12 and 6, and slick sides? If I have to go quad rail, is there a consensus on slimmest - seems maybe DD Omega?

Also, I had initially planned to do an 11" rail for the 11.5" barrel + A2 birdcage. I've since found that 11" really limits my options. I'd rather not go 10" due to slightly more limited sight radius and more limited real estate for my support hand (an I'm not gonna lie, 11" looks cooler). 12" would cover some if not all of the muzzle device, and I recall some threads where handguards were blasted apart by comps. Don't know if this is a concern with the A2 - if so, maybe a linear comp would solve that. But in general, is it a bad idea to do a 12" handguard over an 11.5" barrel?

berserker
08-11-13, 20:51
I wouldn't mount it at 6 o'clock. That will solve your dilemma.

The light? That's the setup that works for me, with the particular light I have (Inforce APL). I don't like tape switches, and I don't like thumb-activated lights, so...

I'll take your point under consideration, but for purposes of this thread, let's assume those are my needs, and hopefully I can find some more rail options.

nml
08-11-13, 23:31
1. How do you activate an APL at 6 o clock?
2. I don't think sight radius will bother you...look at where the FSB is on any m4.
3. I'd advise against a 12 on 11.5 barrel. Now some dude way back asked about a 16.7 rail on a 16 barrel so you aren't the only one itching to vent gas into a handguard but 2 hands are better than 1.

berserker
08-11-13, 23:55
1. How do you activate an APL at 6 o clock?
2. I don't think sight radius will bother you...look at where the FSB is on any m4.
3. I'd advise against a 12 on 11.5 barrel. Now some dude way back asked about a 16.7 rail on a 16 barrel so you aren't the only one itching to vent gas into a handguard but 2 hands are better than 1.

1. With either index finger or thumb. There are paddles on both sides of the light.
2. True.
3. Also true - though the only way I would consider it is with a linear comp, which should blow all the gas forward and not into the handguard.

thopkins22
08-12-13, 00:56
Often the main argument against 6 o'clock lights is barrel shadow. The shadow thrown from there is probably the most noticeable and least desire able of all the options, but it will be limited with an SBR.

More of an issue for me is that activating the light mounted at 6 o'clock will almost certainly require you to change your grip. You should strive for one grip that works standing, kneeling, prone, and equally well in the daytime as it does at night. If your grip does that, then rock on...but I doubt it.

But yes there is a rail that is slick sided, skinny, and includes small rail sections at the very front on four sides...the Geisselle MK4.

ETA: Just saw that you want the entirety of the 6 o'clock rail to be railed...it seems like your choice is simple...get a standard quad rail...or give up on hand stops. I quit using hand stops and have taken the VFG's off of most of my rifles. It was liberating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

berserker
08-12-13, 07:06
Often the main argument against 6 o'clock lights is barrel shadow. The shadow thrown from there is probably the most noticeable and least desire able of all the options, but it will be limited with an SBR.

More of an issue for me is that activating the light mounted at 6 o'clock will almost certainly require you to change your grip. You should strive for one grip that works standing, kneeling, prone, and equally well in the daytime as it does at night. If your grip does that, then rock on...but I doubt it.

But yes there is a rail that is slick sided, skinny, and includes small rail sections at the very front on four sides...the Geisselle MK4.

ETA: Just saw that you want the entirety of the 6 o'clock rail to be railed...it seems like your choice is simple...get a standard quad rail...or give up on hand stops. I quit using hand stops and have taken the VFG's off of most of my rifles. It was liberating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. Quite valuable.

justin_247
08-12-13, 08:53

The slimmest three quad rails out there are the ones from LaRue (available individually), Noveske/SWS (available only on complete rifles and uppers from Noveske, available individually from SWS), and the new DDM4 rails (which are only available on complete rifles and uppers).

berserker
08-18-13, 00:37
For future reference, since I hate searching old threads with no resolution-

I ended up going with an 11" NSR rail. Just wasn't happy with anything else. I'm going to have to play with it and figure out whether I really need a VFG/handstop/etc.

Also, decided to abandon the idea of running an APL light at 6 oclock, and instead going to run something at 10:30.

Thanks all for the feedback.

SpeedRacer
08-18-13, 01:27
If "somethings gotta give", why not direct mount a handstop or VFG and eliminate the need for a bottom rail?