PDA

View Full Version : When/What made the AR Market Blow up?

Grizzlyatoms
08-11-13, 20:45
I was sold on the AR after 4 years in the infantry, I could shoot expert on a rifle that I used as a hammer, pry bar, or lift a 200 lbs plus guy onto a roof. I bought my first after I got out of the Marine Corp to make sure I was Y2K compliant, back when most people didn't own one. I think we are in the Golden Age of the AR, there is so much knowledge out there now, so many great new companies, high quality tools and some awesome new gadgets. It got me thinking was it 9/11 and the wars we have fought since then or video games or a combination of both? The bulk of our military where kids when 9/11 happened,but they have grown up with yhe AR in games and real life.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

Traveshamockery
08-11-13, 21:02
It was the expiration of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban in 2004.

Funny how people react when you say they can't have something.

SteveS
08-11-13, 21:43
I bought my first AR in the early 70s [Colt] and found out what a nice rifle a quality AR type rifle is.

TBomb
08-11-13, 21:51
It was the expiration of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban in 2004.

Funny how people react when you say they can't have something.

That's pretty much it, along with the fear that another similar, or even further reaching ban will be put in place. That being said, I personally believe that the AR/M4 platform is quite good, as do most of us here, and it is popular for a reason. If I could only have one rifle to fill every role I could envision, I would be hard pressed to look elsewhere.

matemike
08-11-13, 22:54
I figure the largest growth period happened when Obama was first elected in 2008.

jaxman7
08-11-13, 23:02
Not to mention that after the ban was lifted the market went wild with aftermarket products. This also added fuel to fire. Being able to taylor the gun to an individuals wants and needs. No rifle does this better than the AR.

And yeah with Obama getting elected the fear of it all being taken away again added even more accelerants.

-Jax

TehLlama
08-12-13, 00:23
The golden age got kicked off with the sunset of the AWB, and the party just got bigger with the '08 and '12 elections.

uffdaphil
08-12-13, 01:02
The shock of Obama getting re-elected convinced me that the recipients of government largesse now outnumbered those funding it. Hello mobocracy.

I figured attacking gun rights, especially AR ownership would be high on the emboldened Progressive's agenda. So after years of just occasionally shooting handguns, I blew my new car fund on ARs and ammo. Had I known how much fun building them is I would have begun years ago.

MistWolf
08-12-13, 01:10
The best thing to ever happened to the AR was the flat top receiver

10MMGary
08-12-13, 01:11
Not really too much I could add to the above post as they pretty much nailed when all combined. Job well done ladies & gentlemen. :dance3:

discreet
08-12-13, 01:50
This has been discussed in multiple threads :) One for example :

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=102278

Too lazy to copy and paste any others.