PDA

View Full Version : Is there any benefit to an A2 profile on a midlength?

ABNAK
08-12-13, 07:54
You know, the heavy-in-front-of-the-FSB profile. I guess some refer to it as "government profile". It would seem that any possible benefit it may give on a 20" rifle (and that is VERY debatable) is negated by the shortness of the barrel on a 14.5" or 16" middy.

Perhaps making it a lightweight profile the entire length of the barrel would at least serve to drop a few ounces of weight.

samuse
08-12-13, 08:31
No. Absolutely none.

It's ridiculous.

Prairie Patriot
08-12-13, 08:50
I thought the reason for the "government profile" was for sustained high rates of fire? Or does that only apply to "HBAR" barrels? Or am I just missing the point completely?

MistWolf
08-12-13, 09:35
I thought the reason for the "government profile" was for sustained high rates of fire? Or does that only apply to "HBAR" barrels? Or am I just missing the point completely?

When a rifle is fired, the majority of the heat is generated in the chamber

Auto426
08-12-13, 11:38

You may be thinking of the heavy profile barrel on the M4A1.

Prairie Patriot
08-12-13, 13:06
You may be thinking of the heavy profile barrel on the M4A1.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of. I thought maybe "government profile" existed for similar reasons.