PDA

View Full Version : bolt and lever action poll against semi-auto weapons

1stCavScout86
08-12-13, 14:17
So I have a co-worker that feels he likes single action and bolt action weapons to semi-auto and double action weapons. Does everyone here share the feeling or is it just his preference?
-Scouts out!

Mak8080
08-13-13, 00:35
Whatever works for him. If he is comfortable and shoots levers better, than more power to him.

AKDoug
08-13-13, 00:43
For what use? I prefer semi autos for self defense against other humans. I prefer bolt actions and their associated larger cartridges for hunting. I have no use for lever actions.

I only carry handguns for defense against humans, so I prefer semi-autos.

Failure2Stop
08-13-13, 07:05
So I have a co-worker that feels he likes single action and bolt action weapons to semi-auto and double action weapons. Does everyone here share the feeling or is it just his preference?
-Scouts out!

"Likes" is a terribly personal and subjective verb.

What is the application, and what does it matter?

Ryno12
08-13-13, 08:23
-Scouts out!

Watch this weeks episode of Tac TV, LAV covers this very subject. Precision vs quick follow up shots with decent accuracy. Pick your poison.

Sent via Tapatalk

1stCavScout86
08-13-13, 10:08
Prefers* my apologies. He states that he would rather a less modern feel to his firearm. I argue that there isn't a lot of practicality to his preference. I appreciate everyone's input.

-Scouts out! :help:

GSPKurt
08-16-13, 23:23
If he is in Illinois, like you, he doesn't have much choice!

1stCavScout86
08-17-13, 10:54
Thats not true. As long as a citizen has a foid card he or she can own anything but class 3 and silencers. The restrictions come from cook county. The bans dont reach through the whole state. Only the liberal northerners.

wahoo95
08-17-13, 13:52
Different people own firearms for different reasons. Many people view their defense need differently too. I know quite a few guys that order to collect rather than shoot. Then there's the guys I know like your buddy who prefer to shoot and collect milsurps and bolt/lever guns. To each his own is where I leave it.

1stCavScout86
08-17-13, 14:44
Different people own firearms for different reasons. Many people view their defense need differently too. I know quite a few guys that order to collect rather than shoot. Then there's the guys I know like your buddy who prefer to shoot and collect milsurps and bolt/lever guns. To each his own is where I leave it.

Put well. Thanks!

Abraham
10-25-13, 11:38
AKDoug SAID:

For what use? I prefer semi autos for self defense against other humans. I prefer bolt actions and their associated larger cartridges for hunting. I have no use for lever actions.

I only carry handguns for defense against humans, so I prefer semi-autos.

My perspective exactly!

Well said!!

ColtSeavers
10-30-13, 18:14
For revolvers I prefer double action.

For semi auto handguns I prefer single action.

For hunting and long range shooting I prefer bolt action rifles.

For any other rifle use I prefer semi auto.

PaLEOjd
10-30-13, 22:24
Each weapon has it's place. Depending on your specific needs, either a bolt action, lever action, pump action, or semi-auto may fit the bill. It all depends on what you are looking for really.

Sent from my iPhone4S
using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

britishtq
10-31-13, 00:50
There are completely different purposes for each rifle, you can't pick one, you need one of each.

Bello
10-31-13, 05:31
Semi auto man myself, no interest in bolts or levers

mark5pt56
10-31-13, 09:29
Have all, enjoy all. Again, it's what may be best for the application. What do I enjoy the most? bolt and levers just seem to be more "fun" to me, they have "soul"
I think you should have at least one bolt gun in the inventory. You can take it anywhere and if things get that bad regarding restrictions, it would be the last to go. I guess you could always get one then?

KiraX105
10-31-13, 18:48
I like the look and craftsmanship put into the bolt action rifles and lever guns, especially the older original ones. But I prefer to use my semis for all my recreational shooting. Somehow I just can't bring myself to put any further abuse on my older winchester and springfield rifles

brickboy240
11-05-13, 11:38
While I love my semi-auto rifles, there is just something cool about a nice quality lever action rifle. Old faded Levis and wrap around sunglasses cool. Comfortable, tough and trustworthy. Timeless quality and operation. If you practice...you can work a lever almost as fast as most people shoot a semi-auto.

Here in Texas, we do love our lever actions and as the owner of three Marlins, 2 Winchesters and 2 early Savage 99s....I guess I prove the point! LOL

(I still want one of those Henry Golden Boys...and I really don't know why...damn things just look cool...LOL)

-brickboy240

Renegade
11-05-13, 12:13
I love my Ruger 96/22 Lever. I am LH, so it is much easier to run than a bolt. And when I run 22LR subsonic, it never FTE, unlike a 10/22. Every gun has its place.

Coal Dragger
11-05-13, 14:51
Honestly as long as the gun in question is well made, reliable, and accurate then I like them all. From single shots to machine guns.

Each has their purpose. However for guns to be used primarily for self defense or fighting other people I prefer an auto-loader.

platoonDaddy
11-05-13, 16:29
However for guns to be used primarily for self defense or fighting other people I prefer an auto-loader.

When I think of "auto-loader" it is something (mechanical or grunts) loading ordnance into crew-served weapons.

BuzzinSATX
11-05-13, 17:18
While I love my semi-auto rifles, there is just something cool about a nice quality lever action rifle. Old faded Levis and wrap around sunglasses cool. Comfortable, tough and trustworthy. Timeless quality and operation. If you practice...you can work a lever almost as fast as most people shoot a semi-auto.

Here in Texas, we do love our lever actions and as the owner of three Marlins, 2 Winchesters and 2 early Savage 99s....I guess I prove the point! LOL

(I still want one of those Henry Golden Boys...and I really don't know why...damn things just look cool...LOL)

-brickboy240

I have to agree...lever guns are like stick shifts in your daily driver...they are less than optimal for the daily grind, but fun to wring out in a weekend drive.

williejc
11-05-13, 18:06
I agree about levers. The socially acceptable looking Marlin or Win or Henry lever gun is a handy companion. The Marlins made before the Remington takeover are sleepers. If you might want one, I urge purchasing now . They will sky rocket in price as the K frames are now doing.

The Henry center fires are heavy, which lessens their handiness. I hope to buy one soon, though.

brickboy240
11-07-13, 11:30
Yep...both of my Marlin pistol caliber levers and the Model 39 are older versions...even lacking the crossbolt safety. They are well made, fast handling and surprisingly accurate for lever actions. The 44 mag 1894 is totally controllable even with hotter 44mag loads and it would make a great stopper with the many defensive loads in 44Spl or 44mag that are out there today.

I have already noticed some fairly high prices on older Marlins that lack the crossbolt safety. I have also noticed some really high prices on the Savage 99s that are older and have the round counter on the side of the receiver like mine. Savage 99s are way under rated...if you ask me.

-brickboy240

Ttwwaack
11-08-13, 05:21
Just finished going through slicking up last weekends gun show find, a Winnie 94 AE Trapper in 45. This is one of two in the safe; the other being a Marlin SS 1895 Guide in 45-70.

Now to the OP's question. From my experiances, a man who shows up to a gunfight with a lever might as well have shown up with a knife. I've got my ARs and 1911s and Glocks but sometimes there is a better tool in the tool box for a specific task...

If your kicking down doors or on the battlefield I wouldn't be doing it with century old technology. I'm more comfortable and familiar with the manual of arms on an AR then a knuckle buster. Granted there are some folks in the Cowboy Action community that can make quick work of a plate rack with a lever gun or a 5 shooter using popcorn fart 60+ PF loads.

I was never much of a lever fan. I picked up the 1895 while on a job in Sitka, AK to use it as a banging around rifle while out exploring and fishing in the skiff. It packs a wallop and saves a few pounds over my hunting rigs which all go 10+.

When I got back home this year I caught my friends in a lever gun frenzy. Well with that I had to keep up with the Jones' so based on some investment advise I hit the street looking for an 92 style knuckle buster to go with a Ruger Bisley in 45. To say the least, the money burnt a hole in my pocket. If I was to do it again, I'd hold out for a Winnie 92. The honeymoon was over quickley trying to smooth out the still factory new action. The 94s are terribly oversprung, have a floppy lawyer trigger and a hammer block safety.

The Trapper functions smooothly now. The shells jump effortlessly off the shell lifter into the chamber now and the trigger break is rolling instead of stacking although a little light at 2.0 lbs for my taste. There is still a few gremlins to work out though at the kitchen table. There is still another spring coil to be cut off if need be and the hammer needs to be relieved alittle more for over cocking but I'll take it out Sunday morning and try it as is for its smile factor. That is all it is for, nothing more and nothing less.

Now, if I can use what I learned on the 94 and apply it to the 1895 and get them long cigars to jump effortlessly into the chamber as smoothly I'd be a happy camper.

sgtrock82
11-09-13, 17:52
I really like old rifles. I like studying them, collecting them, loading for and shooting them, horse trading with my friends etc, purely a luxury IMO. I don't even consider my modern weapons as part of my "collection". They are tools with the specific purpose of keeping me and my loved ones safe.

Im certainly under no illusion that any of my old iron are an adequate substitute for a modern semi-auto. Would they work in a pinch? Sure as long as theyre more accurate than a thrown rock and can get me to something better.

Im sure others might be able to employ them more effectively in a crisis, but probably not with out some fore thought and keeping their handicaps in mind. Most of this requires a whole lot more shooting and experience than the average lever/bolt gunner gets in a lifetime.

brushy bill
12-07-13, 10:54
This would have been nice if Winchester had kept production in the US and not retained the safety.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=022C&mid=534190

brushy bill
12-07-13, 10:59
I have also noticed some really high prices on the Savage 99s that are older and have the round counter on the side of the receiver like mine. Savage 99s are way under rated...if you ask me.

-brickboy240

I would like to have one of these, but have not come across a nice one at a "reasonable to me" price.

WillBrink
12-07-13, 12:03
So I have a co-worker that feels he likes short Asian women over taller Nordic women. Does everyone here share the feeling or is it just his preference?
-Scouts out!

This a similar type question it would seem with similar subjective responses. :cool:

Apples and oranges.

Mamiller
12-07-13, 12:26
Honestly as long as the gun in question is well made, reliable, and accurate then I like them all. From single shots to machine guns.

Each has their purpose. However for guns to be used primarily for self defense or fighting other people I prefer an auto-loader.

I agree. Faster follow up shots could make the difference in some situations.