PDA

View Full Version : Is There Such A Thing As Frangible .22LR...?

SteyrAUG
08-12-13, 20:27
We don't have a Rimfire Forum so I guess I'm asking here.

I'd like to do some backyard "plinking" with a .22 kit and a suppressor but I don't want to have to build the Great Wall of China in order to have a positive backstop.

I also don't want a high velocity lead projectile in the mix. Looking for something that performs about like a pellet gun but will cycle a semi action.

Does it even exist?

_Stormin_
08-12-13, 20:55
There are some 22 rounds that are primer fired which will be moving at a BB velocity (or slightly higher) but for the most part, you won't be able to cycle most semiautomatics without a spring change...

There are the 22 subsonic rounds which aren't anywhere near full velocity, but are still heading out of the gun moving very quickly.

The thing about 22 is that if you're firing into a dense backstop (berm of dirt or sand) you don't need a whole lot to stop the round. I think a good question to help with this would be to ask, what kind of backstop do you have or are you planning to build? Most mfg's produce lead free rounds, but they're usually copper/brass instead of being a compressed material like a lot of frangible rounds for handguns and rifles.

ABNAK
08-12-13, 21:31
Quik-Shok was a brand that split into three pieces (different calibers, .22LR included). I would think that while it isn't truly "frangible" that in a rimfire loading it would greatly reduce penetration.

I think I still have a box or two of it somewhere.

SteyrAUG
08-12-13, 21:51
There are some 22 rounds that are primer fired which will be moving at a BB velocity (or slightly higher) but for the most part, you won't be able to cycle most semiautomatics without a spring change...

There are the 22 subsonic rounds which aren't anywhere near full velocity, but are still heading out of the gun moving very quickly.

The thing about 22 is that if you're firing into a dense backstop (berm of dirt or sand) you don't need a whole lot to stop the round. I think a good question to help with this would be to ask, what kind of backstop do you have or are you planning to build? Most mfg's produce lead free rounds, but they're usually copper/brass instead of being a compressed material like a lot of frangible rounds for handguns and rifles.

If it can't be stopped by something that would stop your average pellet gun, it's not going to be started.

I don't have room in my backyard for a giant berm of dirt.

I was going to do a cinder block wall behind my wood mounted targets. I'd be depending on a wood fence to catch anything that went beyond that.

I'd also like a projectile that is going to rapidly lose velocity should it leave my property somehow.

Mr blasty
08-13-13, 00:41
Airsoft?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

GeorgiaBoy
08-13-13, 00:49
I think an effective berm for something like that would be a stack of 4x4's about 3 or 4 feet high, and about 4 foot deep made in a U shape with the open side facing you. Then layer, at a 45 degree angle, dirt>rubber mulch>sand. That should be more than enough to stop non-frangible .22, and would only cover a 4ft x 4ft x 4ft. area.

Take a look at what this guy did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFzOSwuphBo&list=PL6YgokBm9wNE7EniJ2Y2Y-wSyNfjopaKo&index=9

SteyrAUG
08-13-13, 01:47
I think an effective berm for something like that would be a stack of 4x4's about 3 or 4 feet high, and about 4 foot deep made in a U shape with the open side facing you. Then layer, at a 45 degree angle, dirt>rubber mulch>sand. That should be more than enough to stop non-frangible .22, and would only cover a 4ft x 4ft x 4ft. area.

Take a look at what this guy did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFzOSwuphBo&list=PL6YgokBm9wNE7EniJ2Y2Y-wSyNfjopaKo&index=9

Problem isn't the backstop. The problem is "what if" a round leaves my property. I don't want to be responsible for something like that.

I don't plan on missing my backstop, but nobody plans on missing the backstop.

Almost a shame nobody makes a plastic projectile .22 for short range.

SteyrAUG
08-13-13, 01:47
Airsoft?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Useless outdoors past 5 feet. Not to mention you are using a toy rather than an actual firearm.

GeorgiaBoy
08-13-13, 02:30
Problem isn't the backstop. The problem is "what if" a round leaves my property. I don't want to be responsible for something like that.

I don't plan on missing my backstop, but nobody plans on missing the backstop.

Almost a shame nobody makes a plastic projectile .22 for short range.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0952

Searched a couple of vendors, none in stock and probably not for the foreseeable future. I'm not even sure if they make it anymore.

GunnutAF
08-13-13, 13:27
My question if your so concerned with a bullet leaving your property is it even legal for you to discharge a fiream where you live? IE if your in city limits it is probably illegal for you to be shooitng in your back yard!:rolleyes:

PS if you have neighbors within 100 yards , front, back and to the sides I'd say you wouldn't be legal in shooting in your back yard.:angry:

Semper Paratus
08-13-13, 21:15
Years ago (like 40) there were gallery loads available for .22s. The were primarily for use at carnival shooting galleries with a light sheet metal backstop in front of the canvas tent wall. The were made of I want to say clay. Had some Dad decided they were too abrasive to the barrel, shot the brick out and never bought any more.

Bimmer
08-14-13, 23:06
Problem isn't the backstop. The problem is "what if" a round leaves my property. I don't want to be responsible for something like that...

Then just don't shoot in your back yard.

It sounds like it's not particularly safe, even if you do build a bulletproof backstop.