PDA

View Full Version : same exact mag does/doesn't drop free and then doesn't/does

black22rifle
08-12-13, 22:12
I have experienced the weirdest thing with some of my pmags and one 20 round SS C products mag. I recently got the 20 round C products mag and initially it did not drop free at all in my spikes lower until today. Today I took it apart and when I reassembled it it decided to drop free, this is also not the first time I have disassembled it. This has occurred with and without an upper attached to the lower. I have also had pmags that did the same thing but then decided to drop free without being disassembled. Has anyone else experienced this problem? What could it be? I assembled the lower myself and i made sure that the mag release button is flush with the catch where it screws in.

Ridgerunner665
08-12-13, 22:44
Inconsistent push of the mag release button?

Just a guess...

black22rifle
08-12-13, 22:54
nope. I pushed it and then pulled the mag out.

_Stormin_
08-12-13, 22:57
Have you tried backing out the mag release button my a turn? If it's intermittently hanging up, I would assume that the issue is one of a tiny bit of material contact.

vandal5
08-12-13, 23:14
I too have a spikes lower. The Gen2 Pmags I have all drop free no problem. I have one 20rnd Pmag (also Gen2 style) that did not drop free by itself until it broke in and you can could see some wear marks on the body of the mag.

I had recently purchased some C-Products 30s and some D&H 30s. Some of those would tend to not drop free. I ended up wiping down the mags with Froglube and also wiped out the inside of the mag well with froglube as well and they all dropped free for a while. Then I would just do it again. They all seem to be fine now they I have used them a few times and have broken in.

Not sure how tight yours are but if they seem to drop at times and not at others they could just need some more use?

Hope that helps.

thopkins22
08-12-13, 23:31
Have you tried backing out the mag release button my a turn? If it's intermittently hanging up, I would assume that the issue is one of a tiny bit of material contact.

Gotta be this if it's truly intermittent across several magazines. You've run into one of the downsides of the myth that the AR is truly plug and play...it is right up until it isn't.

I was getting ready to dump on crap products...but it may not actually be their fault. Could be faulty parts or it could be faulty installation. But the magazine isn't changing sizes between insertions.

Side note: Folks don't put wet lube on the insides(nor the outside for that matter) of your magazines. It's literally the one place that doesn't benefit from wet lubrication. None is perfect and dry lube if you must.

black22rifle
08-12-13, 23:42

I dont think that would do anything. I literally put the mag in and it did not drop free, I then took it apart, put it back together, and then when I put it back in it dropped free.

MistWolf
08-13-13, 00:22
Adjust your mag release button. It's currently adjusted so it barely releases your mag. One half or maybe even a full turn out will push the catch out further to let your mags drop free. I had the same problem when I build my first AR. Now I know that the release must be adjusted to the lower

Iraqgunz
08-13-13, 02:32
Generally speaking when I install a mag release, I make sure that the shaft is just below flush with the magazine button. I then use some mags and manipulate the mag catch a few times.