PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 question

Slater
08-13-13, 08:57
From the time that the G17 was introduced in the 1980's until the Gen 3 version, have the internals remained substantially the same or have there been any notable changes?

HalliganJoel
08-13-13, 09:20
I'm not an expert. But I would imagine the biggest difference (besides the obvious cosmetic stuff) would be the difference in the magazines. Internally I don't really know though. All the parts are supposed to be interchangeable gen1-3 right?

MiamiCracker
08-13-13, 09:44
Then Gen 4 has a dual RSA. Also Glock had to remove polymer from the frame to allow the dual RSA to fit.

NeoNeanderthal
08-13-13, 10:02
Obviously there were many changes from gen 3-4, but to answer your question off the top of my head, since block 17 gen 1's were produced they added/changed

Steel serial number plate
One peice recoil spring (used to be some weird 2 piece design)
LCI extractor (Could be considered an external part)
Ejection port and extractor angle 15/90
Locking block pin

I also seem to remember them changing the trigger spring, adding a groove for it and other small things.

It is strange most people focus on the external changes (checkering, thumb rests, finger grooves, rail, ext) when these don't affect the functioning of the gun.

jck397
08-13-13, 12:09
From the time that the G17 was introduced in the 1980's until the Gen 3 version, have the internals remained substantially the same or have there been any notable changes?

In 1991/2 or so there was a 6 part "upgrade" (firing pin safety/spring, striker, extractor, trigger bar, spring-loaded bearing) in response to a NY police officer's G19 slam firing during loading. Original Glock also had a non-captured recoil spring.

okie john
08-14-13, 10:10
Steel serial number plate
One peice recoil spring (used to be some weird 2 piece design)
LCI extractor (Could be considered an external part)
Ejection port and extractor angle 15/90
Locking block pin

They also changed the slide stop when they added the third pin to the frame. It used to have a little shark-fin looking thing and now it doesn't.

Okie John