PDA

View Full Version : First rifle - lightweight build

TAJSport
08-13-13, 18:53
Hey gang,

I've been floating around here for 6-7 months reading, learning and doing research. Ever since the drama back in December, I've been wanting to build a rifle for myself. I'd handled a few other AR's, and decided I didn't want the standard, heavy, over-accessorized rifle with the lights, scopes and lasers.

So I built this:
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q63/SlammedE30/71A07BA2-BA94-4D61-AE03-1B9515339AEA-4886-0000029156C2D6F2_zps2d095be6.jpg

It turned out pretty light for a 16" barrel
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q63/SlammedE30/2CD33E74-1A83-4CD8-ACAB-161B3AE87F07-4886-000002960A3DF23A_zpsf242efc1.jpg

The details:
Billet Precision Machined Parts lower
Sleek DPMS upper (No dust cover or shell deflector)
Daniel Defense 16" LW barrel
BCM low profile gas block (carbine length)
BCM H buffer
WMD nickel boron BCG
Griffin Armament compensator
AP Customs 9" tactical free-float hand guard
Geisselle SSA-E trigger
PSA lower parts kit
Magpul BUIS, AFG, MOE grip, and CTR stock

I'll probably add an Aimpoint PRO and some sort of sling in the future.

Let me know what you think!
-Ted

JusticeM4
08-13-13, 19:09
Looks great man. I like the CF handguard.

_Stormin_
08-13-13, 23:55
You'll need to move your rear sight back a couple notches to mount the PRO and clear the rear lens cap with the sight deployed.

With the carbine length gas system on a true 16 inch barrel you may want to swap to an H2 buffer, especially if you end up running hotter ammo.

I also wonder if you can undo your mag release button by a single turn. The catch looks like it's not flush with the receiver, and I've seen issues in the past with mags not easily dropping free due to something similar (or a combination of older eyes and a smaller screen are playing tricks on me).

That said, a neat, and light rifle. How's it shoot?

dentron
08-14-13, 00:06
Good barrel, trigger, bcg, gtg. Nice lookin rifle man, bet it handles great too.

TAJSport
08-14-13, 00:15
You'll need to move your rear sight back a couple notches to mount the PRO and clear the rear lens cap with the sight deployed.

With the carbine length gas system on a true 16 inch barrel you may want to swap to an H2 buffer, especially if you end up running hotter ammo.

I also wonder if you can undo your mag release button by a single turn. The catch looks like it's not flush with the receiver, and I've seen issues in the past with mags not easily dropping free due to something similar (or a combination of older eyes and a smaller screen are playing tricks on me).

That said, a neat, and light rifle. How's it shoot?

Copy that on moving the rear sight back a few. I was thinking about this the other day. I'm still not quite ready to pull the trigger on an optic yet (I was also entertaining the idea of an Aimpoint Micro, $$), but I'll certainly adjust the irons when that happens.

I've put a little over 500 rounds through her, and while most of them have been cheap PMC .223, I've run a couple mags of 5.56, and have not had a single issue. I'll keep the H2 in mind for higher pressure ammo though. No issues with mags dropping, but I haven't really hustled it either.

The rifle is an absolute sweetheart. Easy to hold, aim, and shoot, while providing subtle recoil. I find it easy to maintain a visual on the target and/or reacquire. It is pretty darn loud with the Griffin comp on it though. I'm not very experienced with rifles, but this thing feels like a freakin' tack driver!

I look forward to growing my relationship with her ;-)
-Ted

TAJSport
08-14-13, 00:17
Good barrel, trigger, bcg, gtg. Nice lookin rifle man, bet it handles great too.

Thanks! She runs real nice :D

Iraqgunz
08-14-13, 05:50
It's not just higher pressure ammo. Your barrel (since you said it was a DPMS upper) is almost certainly overgassed because they use larger than standard gas ports. Your port is most likely at least .072 and probably closer to .080.

Copy that on moving the rear sight back a few. I was thinking about this the other day. I'm still not quite ready to pull the trigger on an optic yet (I was also entertaining the idea of an Aimpoint Micro, $$), but I'll certainly adjust the irons when that happens.

I've put a little over 500 rounds through her, and while most of them have been cheap PMC .223, I've run a couple mags of 5.56, and have not had a single issue. I'll keep the H2 in mind for higher pressure ammo though. No issues with mags dropping, but I haven't really hustled it either.

The rifle is an absolute sweetheart. Easy to hold, aim, and shoot, while providing subtle recoil. I find it easy to maintain a visual on the target and/or reacquire. It is pretty darn loud with the Griffin comp on it though. I'm not very experienced with rifles, but this thing feels like a freakin' tack driver!

I look forward to growing my relationship with her ;-)
-Ted

Koshinn
08-14-13, 07:00
It's not just higher pressure ammo. Your barrel (since you said it was a DPMS upper) is almost certainly overgassed because they use larger than standard gas ports. Your port is most likely at least .072 and probably closer to .080.

He said DPMS upper receiver, but Daniel Defense barrel.

TMS951
08-14-13, 08:42
If my BUIS were my primary and only sites I would certainly not have plastic ones, and probably skip on the folding ones too.

Otherwise nice little build.

C4IGrant
08-14-13, 08:55
Billet uppers and lowers add weight (FYI). So if you are truly going to weight savings, they shouldn't be used.

Case in point, this rifle: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=136690 weighs in at 6.3 (with a longer rail that has much more versatility).

Lights are a good thing on an AR (as you cannot see in the dark). ;)

Enjoy your rifle...

C4

TAJSport
08-14-13, 12:28

I just bought the stripped upper. It's a Daniel Defense barrel.

If my BUIS were my primary and only sites I would certainly not have plastic ones, and probably skip on the folding ones too.

Otherwise nice little build.

I get what you're saying. I just had a hard time justifying the cost of something like KAC irons when I knew I'd be adding an optic down the road.

Billet uppers and lowers add weight (FYI). So if you are truly going to weight savings, they shouldn't be used.

Case in point, this rifle: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=136690 weighs in at 6.3 (with a longer rail that has much more versatility).

Lights are a good thing on an AR (as you cannot see in the dark). ;)

Enjoy your rifle...

C4

Good info on the billet receivers. I didn't really go crazy with the lightweight parts, aside from the barrel and the hand guard. Everything else is pretty standard. I just wanted something out of the K.I.S.S. playbook.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I look forward to learning more!

Iraqgunz
08-14-13, 18:04
Oops. Thanks for that.

He said DPMS upper receiver, but Daniel Defense barrel.

LoveAR
08-14-13, 18:12
Good job. Rifle looks great! Low weight is better.

Do do have a photo of the other side?