PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a VLTOR A5 buffer handy?

DonovanM
08-13-13, 22:22
Was wondering if someone could measure the overall length of one for me.

Since they're not available I'm reverse engineering a way to be able to use a carbine buffer in the tube.

Thanks!

DonovanM
08-13-13, 23:31
Found it. 4". Nevermind!

dentron
08-13-13, 23:56
What's your plan? I'd be interested to see what you are doing.

DonovanM
08-14-13, 01:13
I took the rubber piece off of another buffer and cut some material off so it was .75" long and attached it to the back of my carbine buffer.

Should work until I can find an actual A5H0 buffer. Vltor and heavybuffers are out.

Should prevent my gas key from shearing off under a pressure spike at least.

Iraqgunz
08-14-13, 01:23
May I ask what set up you are going to shoot this through and what ammo?

DonovanM
08-14-13, 01:36
Rifle length 18", Syrac adj gas block, light Young carrier. It's a funky set up I admit. I figure this will be a little bit less extreme than the full JP LMOS.

My reloads are beyond some of the more conservative loading data available, but chamber pressures should be around 55k psi CIP (vs the max of 62k), and that's 99% of what I'll shoot through it.

Iraqgunz
08-14-13, 01:48
Just so you know I have a 20" rifle (.093 gas port) with an LMT enhanced carrier and it uses a -4 buffer and green Springco spring. I have a feeling yours will work with the -4 buffer and I suspect the -3 as well.

If you insist on modifying the buffer, I would get the -4 and then just remove and then swap the tungsten weights with some standard steel ones to lighten it.

Rifle length 18", Syrac adj gas block, light Young carrier. It's a funky set up I admit. I figure this will be a little bit less extreme than the full JP LMOS.

My reloads are beyond some of the more conservative loading data available, but chamber pressures should be around 55k psi CIP (vs the max of 62k), and that's 99% of what I'll shoot through it.

Badger89
08-14-13, 02:58
Gunz, Im sure you already know this, Im just stating it for the op. The A5H4 buffer can only be reduced down to a A5H1, and all other buffers can only be altered between an A5H0 and an A5H3 by swapping steel and tungsten weights from a carbine buffer. Said another way, the only way to have an A5H4 is to start with one, and you cannot create an A5H0 from it. This is because the last weight in an A5 buffer has a dimple in it for the internal spring and cannot simply be interchanged with carbine buffer weights like the others can. The last weight in the A5H4 is obviously tungsten, but the last weight in all other versions of the A5 buffer are steel because it is easier to machine the dimple.

Iraqgunz
08-14-13, 05:40
I was under the impression he located a heavy one (-4). In which case I know for a fact that a rifle will cycle with a -3 and -4. Since he has an 18" rifle I am almost 99% sure that his port is at least .093 if not larger.

Of course I would test it out, but I have run multiple configs with various rounds and operating systems.

I would be shocked if his rifle wouldn't cycle with a -4 and green Springco spring.

Gunz, Im sure you already know this, Im just stating it for the op. The A5H4 buffer can only be reduced down to a A5H1, and all other buffers can only be altered between an A5H0 and an A5H3 by swapping steel and tungsten weights from a carbine buffer. Said another way, the only way to have an A5H4 is to start with one, and you cannot create an A5H0 from it. This is because the last weight in an A5 buffer has a dimple in it for the internal spring and cannot simply be interchanged with carbine buffer weights like the others can. The last weight in the A5H4 is obviously tungsten, but the last weight in all other versions of the A5 buffer are steel because it is easier to machine the dimple.

Brown Dog
08-14-13, 07:00
I also got tired of waiting...made a drawing, wrote a program, and built my own out of 303 stainless. It falls between a 3-4 buffer weight. We sent one to Iraqgunz a few weeks back to T&E... On a side note we have been running them in our personal stuff for two months now.

DonovanM
08-14-13, 11:55

Thanks for that info. Didn't know there was a spring in A5 buffers, since I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet.

Robb Jensen
08-14-13, 11:58
One could also make a peice of proper length'd delrin to go on the other end of the buffer spring.

DonovanM
08-14-13, 12:17
One could also make a peice of proper length'd delrin to go on the other end of the buffer spring.

I didn't really want to effect the preload of the spring, but I suppose it wouldn't matter all that much, especially temporarily.

M90A1
08-14-13, 17:04
I didn't really want to effect the preload of the spring, but I suppose it wouldn't matter all that much, especially temporarily.

Putting a 3/4" long spacer under the spring is going to cause you mucho grief. Make the spacer go thru the spring, not under it, thus not compressing the spring.

I've already done that using aluminum instead of Delrin. Works perfectly. I started with a piece of 7075, 15/16" diameter, 3/4" long, and turned all but 1/16" of it down to 3/4" diameter. The spring sits on the full 1/16" shoulder and holds it in the bottom of the tube. the rest of the spacer obviously goes into the spring. Then you can use any weight carbine length buffer you want. Been doing this for a couple years now.

AeroEngi
08-14-13, 18:55
Why don't you just order one of these http://www.heavybuffers.com/vltor.html

DonovanM
08-14-13, 21:54
Why don't you just order one of these http://www.heavybuffers.com/vltor.html

Because I have a 3gun match this weekend and haven't even shot my new rifle yet. Did I mention I was an idiot? Yeah... :D

Putting a 3/4" long spacer under the spring is going to cause you mucho grief. Make the spacer go thru the spring, not under it, thus not compressing the spring.

I've already done that using aluminum instead of Delrin. Works perfectly. I started with a piece of 7075, 15/16" diameter, 3/4" long, and turned all but 1/16" of it down to 3/4" diameter. The spring sits on the full 1/16" shoulder and holds it in the bottom of the tube. the rest of the spacer obviously goes into the spring. Then you can use any weight carbine length buffer you want. Been doing this for a couple years now.

That's pretty much what I did, except I attached it to the back of the buffer. Didn't trust a screw alone to hold it at the back, so I screwed and cemented it to the back of the buffer.

I like the aluminum idea though. How much for you to make me one of those? I have zero access to a mill or anything like that.

Blak1508
08-15-13, 00:33

I think you were saying this but I may have lost it in the sauce, the A5-1 has a tungsten weight with a dimple and spring then the rest steel. The A5H2 and 3 have the steel up front with dimple and spring.

So far I have taken every one apart and recorded the data and illustrations of each, if you looked at my Data workbook and had no idea what a buffer was you would think I was a sicko. :D
If it would be beneficial I will put together a good copy the data and send it to IG to do something with on here.

DonovanM
08-15-13, 00:36
I think you were saying this but I may have lost it in the sauce, the A5-1 has a tungsten weight with a dimple and spring then the rest steel. The A5H2 and 3 have the steel up front with dimple and spring.

So far I have taken every one apart and recorded the data and illustrations of each, if you looked at my Data workbook and had no idea what a buffer was you would think I was a sicko. :D
If it would be beneficial I will put together a good copy the data and send it to IG to do something with on here.

Would you mind linking me to that?

Blak1508
08-15-13, 09:17
Yeah no problem, let me fix it up and put everything together first. I need to make sure it's ok if I do also, I do not want to step on anyone's ground.

Brown Dog
08-15-13, 13:42
These are what we knocked out of 303 stainless on a CNC lathe for our own use. Carbine buffer that weighs between a H2-3, and a 6.175oz buffer to fit the A5 tube. We have run these with 5.56, 300blk, and 6.8 calibers with 9", 10.3", and 16" barrel lengths.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y498/browndogtactical/1003963_480992275315115_1126850194_n_zpsf60708c5.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/browndogtactical/media/1003963_480992275315115_1126850194_n_zpsf60708c5.jpg.html)

M90A1
08-16-13, 22:18
I like the aluminum idea though. How much for you to make me one of those? I have zero access to a mill or anything like that.

Sorry, can't. Don't have access to the lathe I used to use and don't have anymore stock right now anyway.