PDA

View Full Version : LMT or Colt 6920

JediMindTricks
04-18-08, 11:44
Basically I want to know if I'd be skimping out on anything if I went the LMT route. I don't know all of the different models/options but it would be a basic M4 flat top style rifle with a 16" barrel. The LMT is ab out $300 cheaper in my neck of the woods. I know that LMT makes a quality product, but I like the Colts as well. For the money though if there really is no BIG difference in quality, build, etc. then I will go the LMT route. Thanks in advance.

decodeddiesel
04-18-08, 11:53
Many will say "Nothing is like a Colt." Well I can tell you my LMT Defender has been everything any Colt ever was and more. Albeit my main exposure to Colt has been issued M4 and M4A1 so I do not have first hand experience with Civilian 6920s, but I would say you are sacrificing nothing other than a name by going LMT.

Saginaw79
04-18-08, 12:18
Id get an LMT, I have too many bad memories from Colt when they didnt want people having their 'evil' configured ARs shortly after the ban, it left a bad taste in my mouth

markm
04-18-08, 12:27
Id get an LMT, I have too many bad memories from Colt when they didnt want people having their 'evil' configured ARs shortly after the ban, it left a bad taste in my mouth

I can't subscribe to this thought process. I will try to get the best product I can get within my budget regardless of perceived political views or attitudes.

The LMT is good. They have a great reputation, but there's a few areas where the COLT is just a little better.

thatguy950
04-18-08, 13:32
If you can find a 6920 I would go with that, just becuase they are very tough to track down anymore. If you cannot, you can't go wrong with LMT, I believe their rifles are every bit as good. You could also look into Noveske for about the same price as a 6920, they have a great reputation as well.

5POINT56
04-18-08, 13:33
What is this rifles intended use?

LMT makes an exceptional rifle.....and frankly...I can't imagine anyone...the gunslingers here included, who wouldn't be entirely well equipt with an LMT rifle.

The differences between an LMT and a Colt are splitting hairs. The functional/reliability areas are completely addressed with both rifles.

JediMindTricks
04-18-08, 14:19
What is this rifles intended use?

LMT makes an exceptional rifle.....and frankly...I can't imagine anyone...the gunslingers here included, who wouldn't be entirely well equipt with an LMT rifle.

The differences between an LMT and a Colt are splitting hairs. The functional/reliability areas are completely addressed with both rifles.

Awesome! It would be for basic target range shooting, as well as tactical rifle classes. Ultimately I want a "combat ready" rifle. I have an LWRC basic M4 flat top style rifle already, and from what I have read it is supposed to be a "combat" rifle. I just want something that can take punishment if it has to. I'm sure the LWRC can, but I also want a DI rifle, therefore I have the Colt, or the LMT to choose from. I know Noveske makes an awesome product but there are more LMT's, and Colts out there so I want to go with something that has been around for a while.

BTW I picked up that LWRC for $1,300.00 out the door. It was used, but barley from what I have seen, and the guy who sold it to me is an LWRC master dealer so he assured me that if anything was wrong with it that he would send it back to LWRC for free. I don't know what these normally go for brand new, but I know it's more than what I paid. The question is how good did I do?

AllAmerican
04-18-08, 16:06
Basically I want to know if I'd be skimping out on anything if I went the LMT route. I don't know all of the different models/options but it would be a basic M4 flat top style rifle with a 16" barrel. The LMT is ab out $300 cheaper in my neck of the woods. I know that LMT makes a quality product, but I like the Colts as well. For the money though if there really is no BIG difference in quality, build, etc. then I will go the LMT route. Thanks in advance.

You are where I was a few weeks ago, I have a BM, and wanted a better (closer to mil-spec) rifle for a few matchs, and target prcatice... I went with the LMT because of the outright cost for the Colt. I was able to buy the Defender lower first, and can now buy the upper, without paying a big chunk of money all at once. Another benefit was avoiding the Fed tax charged fon a complete weapon. My reasons are totally economic, but if I had the money to buy a Colt outright, I would still buy the LMT. Seems everyone here likes the ones they have. Just my .02 worth..

decodeddiesel
04-18-08, 16:26
My reasons are totally economic, but if I had the money to buy a Colt outright, I would still buy the LMT. Seems everyone here likes the ones they have.

+1

I could not be happier with mine.

RogerinTPA
04-18-08, 16:28
Colt 6920 hands down. Colt has the edge. If you aren't willing to pay or can't, then go with the LMT. IMHO you can't go wrong with either. You would have a very good weapon, regardless of the choice.:cool:

GONIF
04-18-08, 16:46
in the long run you would be hard pressed to tell the dif in preformance,but you do get bragging rights with the Colt .

tuff
04-18-08, 21:47
Colt 6920 hands down. Colt has the edge. If you aren't willing to pay or can't, then go with the LMT. IMHO you can't go wrong with either. You would have a very good weapon, regardless of the choice.:cool:

I agree but in truth there is very little difference between the two except the pony, heck the only differences are in the buffers and small difference in the barrel assm. If I remember does'nt Lewis Machine and Tool manufacture Lowers for Colt??? Both are great rifles and you will be very pleased by either...

Shihan
04-18-08, 22:05
Im a LMT dealer and pay dealer pricing on Colts but for my personal guns its LMT. There is no functional difference between the two makes. If they were the same price of course I would buy a Colt, but that isnt how it is.

JG1911
04-19-08, 18:43
It's like I tell people @ my FFL... If you want something with name recognition, something for a collection, something to pass on to your kid, investment, then run with the Colt.
If you want a carbine to shoot, that is just as good, almost the same spec's, and is $300-$350 cheaper... Get the LMT.

Can't go wrong with either, but saving some money that can go toward magazines and ammo is kind of nice.

FWIW: I've seen some 6920's over the past couple of years that were not as nice as the LMTs.

M4Guru
04-19-08, 21:32
I'll take the cheaper gun with standard sized trigger pins, please.

Don't get me wrong, 6920s are the standard but for the price they command nowadays, LMT is hard to beat.

Robb Jensen
04-19-08, 21:43

Don't get me wrong, 6920s are the standard but for the price they command nowadays, LMT is hard to beat.

My sentiments exactly. The price increase of the Colt doesn't equate to better performance for me. If worried about resale value I'd get the Colt.

markm
04-19-08, 22:19

The bigger and stronger fire control group pins command a premium these days, Sailor! :p

SapperRob
04-19-08, 23:12
If you plan on shooting get the LMT and put the extra cash towards an optic/light/mags/ammo/etc. If you're just looking for an investment get the Colt.

Foxandreed
04-19-08, 23:26
I have carried both and actually bought both and now have only my LMT's left. My Colts payed for the LMT's with fun money left over.

LIL-COMMANDO
04-25-08, 16:22

Get over it:rolleyes:

I would suggest the 6920 but if its a money issue then go for the LMT. I have three Colts but I have been looking at the LMT and am very impressed with the look.

thatguy950
04-25-08, 17:10
Get over it:rolleyes:

I would suggest the 6920 but if its a money issue then go for the LMT. I have three Colts but I have been looking at the LMT and am very impressed with the look.

When I bought my Bushmaster (didn't know any better at the time) I really liked it. Then one day I was at the range and someone was kind enough to let me shoot his LMT, sold the Bush the next week. I started looking into the "big three" on that "chart" and decided I would try to find a Colt just for the collector's value, lucky for me Grant had one! In any case, can't go wrong with either one, I think my next evil black rifle is gonna be an LMT in the VERY near future.

dukebri000
04-30-12, 14:51
i think you would be fine either way. from what i can tell their built to about the exact same specs. https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AqmgMm61Ok7WdExwaG16OENzOEZ1akp2a3Y2NjMxTEE&single=true&gid=2&output=html

Wiggity
04-30-12, 15:04
I can't subscribe to this thought process. I will try to get the best product I can get within my budget regardless of perceived political views or attitudes.

The LMT is good. They have a great reputation, but there's a few areas where the COLT is just a little better.

Oh yeah? In WHAT areas are they better?

Im pretty sure you just picked that out of your ass.

rob_s
04-30-12, 15:09
bumping a four year old thread?

Watrdawg
04-30-12, 15:09
I just noticed the dates Rob. I previously gave an answer but now no need.

C-grunt
04-30-12, 18:18
Holy necrothread Batman!!!!

I was sucked in until I read someone say you can get a Noveske for the same price as a Colt, then I looked at the time stamp.

Failure2Stop
04-30-12, 18:25
1- LMT is good, but Colts adhere to TDP, and nobody else meets TDP in every aspect.

2- Yeah, it is true, and no, I didn't "pull that out of my ass".

3- This thread is ancient, and the topic has been covered several times, so this one is getting locked since it is a necro post and is already hostile for no reason.