PDA

View Full Version : Remington Hypersonic Ammunition

brown3345
08-14-13, 09:31
So I was browsing the internet for 5.56/.223 ammo and I came across this Remington Hypersonic stuff.

At first glance it looks like a twin to the Superformance line of ammo out there so I went over to the Remington website and tried to find out if it was OK to use in Semi Auto guns. They didn't have much info listed so I shot off an email last night.

I asked, " Is it safe to use Hypersonic 223 ammo in my AR-15/M4 carbine semi auto gas system?".

They replied, " All of the Hyper Sonic ammo is within SAAMI Specs and as long as you use the head stamp on the case matches the barrel stamp caliber you are OK".

It's nice that it has a 62grain bonded bullet and a higher than average FPS but I'm just not sold yet on how it will treat my gun over the long term.

Thoughts? Opinions?

eightmillimeter
08-15-13, 23:35
My thoughts are that over-gassing a direct impingement AR-15 causes more wear and tear but is perfectly safe.

In contrast, over-gassing an M14 causes actual damage.

I would not hesitate to shoot it.

Mr blasty
08-16-13, 00:28
My thoughts are that over-gassing a direct impingement AR-15 causes more wear and tear but is perfectly safe.

In contrast, over-gassing an M14 causes actual damage

I would not hesitate to shoot it.

I can vouche for the M14 comment. I've broken op rods before from "premium hunting rounds". I no longer use such loads. My 6920 on the other hand I'll feed anything safe to shoot since most commercial loads won't be getting to the 5.56 nato pressures it was designed for. Keep in mind that MilSpec ARs are designed for higher pressures compared to the commercial guns.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

rsilvers
08-18-13, 18:37
If 223 ammunition was not compatible with the #1 most popular rifle that can shoot it, the maker would say something.

wahoo95
08-18-13, 19:01
62gr Bonded SP bullet at 3264fps looks good to me. I'm betting it would make an effective hunting and self defense round in 223! I'm gonna pick up a few boxes to try.

rsilvers
08-18-13, 20:29
You know that velocity is from a 24 inch barrel, right?

CaptainN8
08-19-13, 07:11
So subract about 300fps? That's still pretty respectable :)