PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Lower to start with?

srccolt6920
08-14-13, 16:35
I live in CA and starting next year they are going to make it very difficult to get ar's, or at least that is what all the shops are saying. So between now and the end of the year I want to pick up 3 more lowers. what are the best ones to get? What should I look out for?

Boba Fett v2
08-14-13, 16:51
If it were me and I was living in a communist state that was about to get more stupid, I'd invest in a KAC lower for the full ambidextrous lay-out. They're more pricey than the average lower receiver, but it will retain it's value and you'll always have that awesome KAC rollmark to flaunt. In all honesty you really can't go wrong with any of the top tier manufactured lowers from Noveske, BCM, Daniel Defense, Colt, LMT, etc. Since this is an investment you'll want to stay with those manufactures. Billet lowers are cute. Polymer is cheap. Invest in quality the first time since it may be your last time.

Bosh
08-14-13, 17:01
I live in CA and starting next year they are going to make it very difficult to get ar's, or at least that is what all the shops are saying. So between now and the end of the year I want to pick up 3 more lowers. what are the best ones to get? What should I look out for?

I'd for sure make one of them an 80%.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-14-13, 17:08
OP<

if you live anywhere near Oceanside/San Diego, look up Ares Armor. They run good deals on 80% lowers.

NeoNeanderthal
08-14-13, 17:16
If you are planning on having these lowers for ever and willing to pay more for them than your average lower id look at the:

KAC Lowers
Lancer Lowers
Novekse GEN 2 Lowers (super sexy)
AXTS lowers

Does anyone NEED to spend that much on a lower? Hell no. But if you've got the cash and are gonna be stuck with them and only them, then id look at those.

Ive got the Lancer lower and love the magwell, however i think the noveske's have the cleanest lines and are very sexy looking.

srccolt6920
08-14-13, 17:25
Thanks for recommendations on the lower. What does the term make it 80% mean?

Sentaruu
08-14-13, 17:36
80% lowers are partially completed lowers that need some machining to make them "actual" lower receivers. they typically just need the trigger assembly and ss and stuff drilled out .

I have a vltor lower that I am very pleased with.

uncle money bags
08-14-13, 18:40
If it were me and I was living in a communist state that was about to get more stupid, I'd invest in a KAC lower for the full ambidextrous lay-out. They're more pricey than the average lower receiver, but it will retain it's value and you'll always have that awesome KAC rollmark to flaunt. In all honesty you really can't go wrong with any of the top tier manufactured lowers from Noveske, BCM, Daniel Defense, Colt, LMT, etc. Since this is an investment you'll want to stay with those manufactures. Billet lowers are cute. Polymer is cheap. Invest in quality the first time since it may be your last time.

What this guy said.

midSCarolina
08-14-13, 18:45
I use Noveske Gen 1s. I don't really like the flared magwell of the Gen2s but that is just a personal thing. The KAC really is a good lower and the price isn't terrible for what you get. For a Noveske i built myself that is a similar setup to what you get with the KAC it was something like:

$230 for Geissele SD-C
$195 for LWRC LPK w/ buffer tube ect
$180 for LMT Sopmod
$25 for Noveske QD endplate
$175 for stripped lower
total: approx $805

I like being able to kinda hand select parts for my lowers (i can buy ambi stuff but i typically only ambi the safety selector) but KAC isn't overpriced if you think about what you get. And you get the super sexy roll mark. My vote is for Noveske or KAC.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-14-13, 18:47
I was stationed in CA for a few years. If I recall correctly, KAC Lowers were banned by name, but the uppers were ok.

If that is truly the case and an ambi lower is desired, then the AXTS AX556 is a great option.

bzdog
08-14-13, 18:54
I haven't seen the KAC lowers, but I have a Noveske flared forged lower and AXTS AX556. The Noveske looks and works great, but I'd take the ambi features of the AXTS or KAC over other considerations.

-john

Boba Fett v2
08-14-13, 18:58
I was stationed in CA for a few years. If I recall correctly, KAC Lowers were banned by name, but the uppers were ok.

Man, that's terrible. I'm glad I left that state 2 decades ago.

C4IGrant
08-14-13, 19:17
BCM BLEM. When you factor in the quality of the internals, it is the best lower for the money.

C4

Badger89
08-14-13, 20:09
If we're talking about stripped lowers, why not just get as many quality forged 7075 lowers as you can afford? I'll concede that there is some merit to purchasing a couple ambidextrous lowers if you desire, but aside from different roll marks, safety selector markings, and the occasional incorporated trigger guard, a lower is a lower in my opinion. Sure, you could buy 3 Noveske Gen-2s or KAC Ambi lowers, but how many standard blemished lowers could you purchase for the same price? Five? Six? I've seen PSA blemished lowers go for less than $70 each... Realistically you could buy 3 of those and have money left over for the cost of buying one Noveske or KAC. My advice would be to mix and match. Buy one, or maybe two high end lowers if you wish, and then take the money you would have spent on a 2nd or 3rd and buy as many blemished forged lowers as you can.

GUNFUN
08-14-13, 21:35
LMT Defender

Zane1844
08-14-13, 22:02
Be careful with the KAC or other Ambi lowers as you need the Holy Bullet-Button installed, or you risk the chance of shooting people, or something.

R.O.U.S.
08-14-13, 22:07
I've been thinking about this as well. A lot of people are happy with KAC lowers, but I have also been thinking about the AXTS lower with the bolt catch engagement in the magazine release. I wonder how important it is to be able to lock a bolt back using the right side magazine release.

Tzook
08-14-13, 22:27
If you're looking to get stripped, it really doesn't matter. Assuming it's made of the right material with the correct process, a lower is pretty much a lower.

That being said, if you think it's something you'll be stuck with for awhile, I'd say go with something both nice and unique. Noveske Gen 2 lowers are pretty awesome in my opinion. Top tier quality, and just cool.

Cashflow
08-15-13, 03:50
In the process of assembling one now for a local border patrol agent. I'm using an Aero Precision, seems pretty nice. Good luck with whatever you pick.

gesundheit
08-15-13, 09:51
OP<

if you live anywhere near Oceanside/San Diego, look up Ares Armor. They run good deals on 80% lowers.

Ares is in a flux and having issues delivering to customers that paid for their parts last year! If I were you, I would stay away from them until they get their house in order.

Quentin
08-15-13, 11:44
BCM BLEM. When you factor in the quality of the internals, it is the best lower for the money.

C4

Pretty hard to beat a blem lower from BCM. The price is right, you'll hardly notice the blemish and it's built right, no comspec parts or light weight buffer. The LPK and receiver extension kit are top notch.

At one time the average joe at the range wouldn't know about BCM and they even were sneered at by the sale of the week crowd but now anyone who's been around the block will know you bought quality.

It may need a bullet button befor it's shipped or your local FFL may take care of that but Grant can help you with that I bet.

smac61
08-15-13, 20:54
What, no love for Mega? Top notch, fairly priced...

fourXfour
08-15-13, 21:19
Grant has taken care of me with BCM rifles and lowers. He's made them CA legal as well.

Honestly, I wrestle with the thought of selling some of my more boutique rifles and buying as many BCM lowers as I can.

I have gotten screwed twice now buying billet lowers. Each time the magwell is incredibly tight and standard mags won't drop free. One of the lowers was highly recommended by an industry professional. Needless to say, I will be sticking with BCM/Grant.

Gatorshark
08-15-13, 21:39
What, no love for Mega? Top notch, fairly priced...

Yup +1

HapaMan
08-15-13, 23:43
I have similar concerns of the OP. I just bought my first AR last month (Colt 6920 MOE), and liked it so much I just bought another one.

My thoughts were to have another solid rifle to play with different uppers, etc., while keeping the other one basically stock. Love my AR's, hate Commiefornia.

Mariley85
08-16-13, 01:53
Correct, KAC or, "STONER RIFLE", is banned by name. Also, nothing ambidextrous, unless you want to render the ambidextrous function useless by installing a bullet button on two sides.

Iraqgunz
08-16-13, 03:01
I agree with Grant. I have a few BCM blemed lowers and it's ridiculous to call it a blem. They are full functional and ready to go. God made Krylon for a reason- use it.

Seagunner
08-16-13, 03:33
Don't think it's going to matter what lower. Soon the bullet button will be outlawed in Cali and only sealed magwel lowers will be legal.

brianc142
08-16-13, 07:53
I agree with Grant. I have a few BCM blemed lowers and it's ridiculous to call it a blem. They are full functional and ready to go. God made Krylon for a reason- use it.
I recently bought one of the BCM blems from Grant and couldn't be more satisfied. I found the blem pretty quick but I would barely consider it a blem.

spectre130
08-16-13, 08:02
If you live in Southern California, you could walk into JD Machine and have them make you one. Lead time back in Jan was 5 weeks. I'm sure it is better now. Give them a call.

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk 4

ShermanM4
08-16-13, 09:00
Nothing against Grant or BCM lowers, but what advantage does it have over this?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/complete-psa-ar-15-lower-classic-edition.html

Or this (even better deal as it come with magpul stuff).
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/psa-ar-15-complete-blem-lower-magpul-moe-edition-od-green-no-magazine.html

Ok, I see it had the standard buffer, (you can get a H for $15?) BCM grip and trigger guard... Other than that what's the difference?

This is a serious question because I'd like to know what i would be getting for the $150 more over the PSA?

I do have a 14.5" pinned BCM btw on the PSA lower in the 1st link provided... I have though about getting the BCM Lower to have a "complete" BCM. So I'm really interested to know.

C4IGrant
08-16-13, 09:18
Nothing against Grant or BCM lowers, but what advantage does it have over this?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/complete-psa-ar-15-lower-classic-edition.html

Or this (even better deal as it come with magpul stuff).
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/psa-ar-15-complete-blem-lower-magpul-moe-edition-od-green-no-magazine.html

Ok, I see it had the standard buffer, (you can get a H for $15?) BCM grip and trigger guard... Other than that what's the difference?

This is a serious question because I'd like to know what i would be getting for the $150 more over the PSA?

I do have a 14.5" pinned BCM btw on the PSA lower in the 1st link provided... I have though about getting the BCM Lower to have a "complete" BCM. So I'm really interested to know.

You really have to get into the weeds on stuff. For instance, the Receiver Extension from BCM is hammer extruded 7075 with dry film lube on the inside.

The grip on the BCM has a $30 dollar grip on it and IMHO, the internals come from the best sources available. There were never any corners cut.

Last but not least, resale value. Which product holds its value better?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=128135

C4

AeroEngi
08-16-13, 16:25
Don't think it's going to matter what lower. Soon the bullet button will be outlawed in Cali and only sealed magwel lowers will be legal.

Fortunately, this isn't true. There's going to be ways to keep your AR without having to register them.

K_K
08-16-13, 17:04
A lower is a lower in my opinion. Its a chunk of metal that has to be correctly measured. Yes the measurements have to be pretty precise or its going to be a problem, but its not hard to pick up a micrometer or caliper. Some of the more expensive companies have cool ambidextrous features but I have never shot any different the right hand so I don't need that. You can get buy with some other more mainstream companies for a lower and go with quality parts elsewhere and it will work just as good. One thing is to jump on blemished lowers from manufactures.

go PSA with a blemished A4 upper from BCM.

smac61
08-16-13, 17:38
A lower is a lower in my opinion...

I agree. This is why I'm such a fan on MEGA, every one I've ever worked with has been dimensionally and cosmetically perfect. With MMS receivers priced as they are, it just isn't worth the risk to save a few dollars.

Now if I were doing a "feel good" build I'd go KAC or Noveske depending on what I was going for...

Plenty of other worthy receivers out there but those 3 are my personal picks. No use for billet...

SoDak
08-16-13, 18:20
You really have to get into the weeds on stuff. For instance, the Receiver Extension from BCM is hammer extruded 7075 with dry film lube on the inside.

The grip on the BCM has a $30 dollar grip on it and IMHO, the internals come from the best sources available. There were never any corners cut.

C4

Do they source internal parts from various sources? Just curious because last year I bought a BCM lower and from what I can tell, it has a DPMS made hammer (or both companies get their hammers from the same source). I can't say this lower has made me all that interested in buying another lower from BCM.

Pics of the lower. Note the "F1" marked hammer.
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j371/65k10/lower.jpg

Here is a pic I took of a DPMS LPK blister pack. Same "F1" on the hammer.
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j371/65k10/IMAG0343.jpg

Iraqgunz
08-16-13, 19:00
How do you know that someone doesn't make those parts for DPMS as well?

Do they source internal parts from various sources? Just curious because last year I bought a BCM lower and from what I can tell, it has a DPMS made hammer (or both companies get their hammers from the same source). I can't say this lower has made me all that interested in buying another lower from BCM.

Pics of the lower. Note the "F1" marked hammer.
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j371/65k10/lower.jpg

Here is a pic I took of a DPMS LPK blister pack. Same "F1" on the hammer.
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j371/65k10/IMAG0343.jpg

mike240
08-16-13, 19:22
The Aero Precision stripped lowers from Brownells are very nice and in stock.

SoDak
08-16-13, 19:24
I asked DPMS about this once and provided the rep knew what they were talking about, it looks like they make them. Edit: Hope this screencap is easier to read.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j371/65k10/dpmsscreencap.png

mike240
08-16-13, 19:35
Some of the parts issues get pretty cloudy. I ve seen PSAs with parts marked the same as DDs. I have used and know of many others who have used DPMS lower parts kits. The only issue I have had and know of any of others to have is a broken hammer pin but that was bound to happen with an unshrouded carrier and Jard FCG. I replaced it a Colt pin and broke it too. Had to change the carrier and no more issues.

I have three Colts but honestly shoot my others more that I have assembled from various sources. The only AR part I have ever broke is that pin mentioned above.

Nola_Jack
08-16-13, 19:41
http://store.legionfirearms.com/product-p/billow_stripped.htm

C4IGrant
08-16-13, 20:20

BCM buys parts from 1-2 places I believe and NO they did not buy their hammer from DPMS. I would also be surprised if DPMS makes (meaning forge) hammers in house.

To my knowledge, the F1 marking is the forging mark. DPMS COULD buy the forging and finish machine them in house (which I even doubt).

So I wouldn't put any weight into what you see in hammers.

C4

briguy64
08-16-13, 20:32
OP, Go BCM. It might be marginally more than a PSA, but you know you are getting a quality lower, with a company that is known for customer service and has a well deserved reputation. You could go with a Noveske or a Mega or some of the others listed and will be well off, but BCM for the price is hard to beat.

Unless you plan to run featureless, an ambi lower loses it's functionality with a mag lock. KAC would be nice, but their lowers are banned by name, you can still rock their upper receiver group though. I live in Cali, and I suggest going to calguns.net for better information regarding legality, and what you can and can't do as Cali has some awful laws that are specific only to the state.

SoDak
08-16-13, 20:46
BCM buys parts from 1-2 places I believe and NO they did not buy their hammer from DPMS. I would also be surprised if DPMS makes (meaning forge) hammers in house.

To my knowledge, the F1 marking is the forging mark. DPMS COULD buy the forging and finish machine them in house (which I even doubt).

So I wouldn't put any weight into what you see in hammers.

C4

That very well could be the case. It just hasn't been too reassuring to see that this lower had parts with the same markings as LPK's that aren't considered very good in terms of quality and nowhere else (I've also encountered "F" marked parts in recent Bushmaster Lpk's). BCM wasn't very helpful when I asked them, so all I've had to go on are my observations. I'm aware that I don't have much to go on, but for now if I'm going to spend over $300 on a complete lower I'm giving preference to either Colt or LMT.

C4IGrant
08-16-13, 20:53
That very well could be the case. It just hasn't been too reassuring to see that this lower had parts with the same markings as LPK's that aren't considered very good in terms of quality and nowhere else (I've also encountered "F" marked parts in recent Bushmaster Lpk's). BCM wasn't very helpful when I asked them, so all I've had to go on are my observations. I'm aware that I don't have much to go on, but for now if I'm going to spend over $300 on a complete lower I'm giving preference to either Colt or LMT.

Don't associate a forging with a finished product.

When is the last time you heard of a broken part or issue with a BCM LOWER?? Now compare that to issues with other brands.
You also cannot buy a Colt lower for $300 and LMT does not make parts in house. At most, they finish machine parts in house.

C4

Rockhopper
08-16-13, 21:04
if i were to just go buy any lower today, take your pick, i would purchase MEGA no question. And that would be followed very closely by a Noveske FFL.

MEGA is absolutely top notch, and has the best finish in the business IMHO. However, thier anodizing will not match other brands. (it is darker) So if beauty matters to you, you would want to run it with a MEGA upper, otherwise your recievers wont be the *exact color.

SoDak
08-16-13, 21:09
Don't associate a forging with a finished product.

When is the last time you heard of a broken part or issue with a BCM LOWER?? Now compare that to issues with other brands.
You also cannot buy a Colt lower for $300 and LMT does not make parts in house. At most, they finish machine parts in house.

C4

To be honest I haven't seen many people talk about using BCM lowers at all, so I've went between it being maybe they are G2G or not many people have them.

I know I can't get a Colt lower for $300. That's why I said over $300 (less than that and I'll just put together a lower myself). My BCM lower cost me $370 and the 6920 lower I bought last December was $485 (I'm sure it will be a long while before I seem them at that price, but I'm in no hurry). Mind you the cost difference doesn't fully bear out because while the Colt comes with a stock, it lacks the gunfighter grip and magpul trigger guard. Was the extra cost worth it? For me it was in terms of peace of mind. As for LMT, I haven't heard of issues with them and I'm seeing them at places for $450 with a Sopmod stock, which comes across as a good price.

Rockhopper
08-16-13, 21:16
To be honest I haven't seen many people talk about using BCM lowers at all, so I've went between it being maybe they are G2G or not many people have them.

I know I can't get a Colt lower for $300. That's why I said over $300 (less than that and I'll just put together a lower myself). My BCM lower cost me $370 and the 6920 lower I bought last December was $485 (I'm sure it will be a long while before I seem them at that price, but I'm in no hurry). Mind you the cost difference doesn't fully bear out because while the Colt comes with a stock, it lacks the gunfighter grip and magpul trigger guard. Was the extra cost worth it? For me it was in terms of peace of mind. As for LMT, I haven't heard of issues with them and I'm seeing them at places for $450 with a Sopmod stock, which comes across as a good price.

no i dont think it is worth it. assume you are speaking of complete lowers. i would much rather start with a blank slate and build to suit instead of changing parts later.

smac61
08-16-13, 22:12
Oh, complete lowers. Rules out MEGA. CA compliance appears to rule out KAC as well so I guess that leaves Noveske in the "boutique" category.

Makes the BCM a solid choice.

You might want to check out LMT (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=124) as well (that would be my choice)

w3453l
08-16-13, 22:32
I'm also in the same situation as the OP. I've decided to go with LMT. If you're in SoCal, I was at Riflegear the other day and they had plenty in stock. I saw a few Lmt lowers, as well as some others. I think they may have had a couple noveske lowers too, but one was a chainsaw if that matters.

Riflegear is a little pricy sometimes, but their receiver prices really aren't that bad if you factor in shipping etc from online orders.

If you guys don't mind me asking: regarding the KAC lowers being Ambi. Is it possible to make an LMT lower also ambi in the same way? Or is this only a feature available with the KAC's?

smac61
08-16-13, 22:36
If you guys don't mind me asking: regarding the KAC lowers being Ambi. Is it possible to make an LMT lower also ambi in the same way? Or is this only a feature available with the KAC's?

No problem. BADASS (http://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/badass.php)

bzdog
08-17-13, 00:12

AXTS is also fully ambi.

-john

bluejackets92fs
08-17-13, 00:22
I've built off of many lowers with no issues. Spikes Tactical (which I believe are made by Aero Precision, someone will correct me if I'm wrong), PSA, BCM, and unfortunately DPMS (luckily it was fine but I didn't know better). Don't get too caught up on the subject. Buy a spec lower from a reputable manufacturer and you should be G2G.

smac61
08-17-13, 01:19
Actually the KAC lower is a fairly good deal when you consider it comes with the ambi release and safety, 2 stage trigger, QD mount and SOPMOD stock.

What's the issue in CA, the ambi mag release?

briguy64
08-17-13, 08:03
Actually the KAC lower is a fairly good deal when you consider it comes with the ambi release and safety, 2 stage trigger, QD mount and SOPMOD stock.

CA doesn't allow for a rifle that accepts detachable mags with "evil" features, such as a flash hider, collapsible stock etc, one must use a tool to drop the mag. So most of us who aren't running featureless use some variation of a bullet button that is installed in place of a normal mag release, and requires us to use something with a thin tip (like the tip of a bullet). A selling feature of a true ambi lower is to drop the mag from both sides, sure we can still use the ambi bolt catch, but why bother? Now for those of us running without "evil" features then it could make sense

Toyoland66
08-17-13, 08:25

C4

Grant,
Do you consider the BCM lower a better lower than the LMT defender lower, or are they fairly comparable? Specifically talking the quality of internals. Also, how do you think the LMT RE stacks up against the BCM RE?
Thanks.

brianc142
08-17-13, 19:34
Grant,
Do you consider the BCM lower a better lower than the LMT defender lower, or are they fairly comparable? Specifically talking the quality of internals. Also, how do you think the LMT RE stacks up against the BCM RE?
Thanks.
I'm not Grant but I own both BCM and LMT lowers currently and have owned several LMT lowers. You can flip a coin. Same goes with Colt, Daniel Defense and Noveske. I currently own or have owned all of them. I think people get way too caught up in some of this stuff. I won't agree that a lower is a lower but I will say that a PSA will serve most people just fine. I choose to use the lowers above for two reasons: I use them for work and I like having a good resale value like Grant mentioned earlier in the thread.

C4IGrant
08-17-13, 20:09
Grant,
Thanks.

Assuming the lowers are following the TDP, I go down the line to the next item of importance (the LPK). I rank LPK's in this order:

Colt
LMT/KAC
BCM/G&R/Noveske

Next item, Receiver Extension. Per the TDP, they need to be 7075, hammer extruded, Type III HA and dry film lined.

The only companies that follow these specs are Colt, BCM, LMT and I think KAC. So kind of a wash there.

BCM lowers come with a mil-spec H buffer and one of the best grips on the market. The LMT lower does not offer these items. So BCM get the nod IMHO.

C4

uniform64
08-18-13, 00:50
Grant,

Is there a way to tell what make the RE or if it were made by following the TDP?

Thanks

mikeith
08-18-13, 00:57

This! I grabbed one from Grant recently for a "truck gun" build and would hardly call it a blemished lower. I had to study it for 10-15 minutes to find the so called blemish!

Rugerspyderon
08-18-13, 10:10
Rock River lower with BCM Upper And Geissele trigger is the way to go.

_Stormin_
08-18-13, 12:13
Rock River lower with BCM Upper And Geissele trigger is the way to go.

And your reasons for choosing this lower above all others?

garand1945
08-18-13, 20:54

CA doesn't allow for a rifle that accepts detachable mags with "evil" features, such as a flash hider, collapsible stock etc, one must use a tool to drop the mag. So most of us who aren't running featureless use some variation of a bullet button that is installed in place of a normal mag release, and requires us to use something with a thin tip (like the tip of a bullet). A selling feature of a true ambi lower is to drop the mag from both sides, sure we can still use the ambi bolt catch, but why bother? Now for those of us running without "evil" features then it could make sense

The ambi mag release is not the issue with the KAC. KAC is a banned by name "assault rifle" (RAS, SR-15, and SR-25) in California and are not legal in any configuration. In other words, if it's banned by name, features like a mag release don't matter, and a bullet button does NOT make it compliant.

See the CA rifle identification flowchart for a list of all banned by name weapons

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

For those unfamiliar with this chart, if you are going to own a semiautomatic centerfire rifle in CA, you need to know how to read it and follow it. Just adding one "wrong" part could make you a felon, cost you tens of thousands of dollars, and strip you of your 2A rights.

I-M4-REAL
08-19-13, 07:43
Yeah, I'll admit that I don't know too much about California gun laws since I live in United States of America.. But if Cali bans guns only buy the "names" of a certain "evil" firearm (uzi ,cobry,ak47 ect) or by the # or name of an AR lower (6920,lmt ect) I wouldn't sweat it at all because there's over a million AR manufactures and more seeming to come out of the woodwork every day. So with that said I would hope the chances you'd always be able to get a 'good AR lower' in Cali would always be there. The keyword there IS "hope"! At least I'd like to think that's there's no way they can put every manufacture of AR lowers on a list of "evil weapons". :confused:

Swstock
08-19-13, 14:12
if i were to just go buy any lower today, take your pick, i would purchase MEGA no question. And that would be followed very closely by a Noveske FFL.

MEGA is absolutely top notch, and has the best finish in the business IMHO. However, thier anodizing will not match other brands. (it is darker) So if beauty matters to you, you would want to run it with a MEGA upper, otherwise your recievers wont be the *exact color.

Same here.

I like my Mega and Aero Precision lowers more than my Noveske.

scottryan
08-19-13, 20:56
The best lower to start with is one that left the factory configured as a assault weapon.

Stripped lowers are not grandfathered assault weapons, even if they were made before a ban.

IMHO, anybody building off a stripped lower at this point in time is a fool.

bluejackets92fs
08-19-13, 21:08
The best lower to start with is one that left the factory configured as a assault weapon.

Stripped lowers are not grandfathered assault weapons, even if they were made before a ban.

Well some of us aren't able to throw 15-20k per unit at a few registered m16's....

RHINOWSO
08-19-13, 21:37
:rolleyes:

Define assault weapon why don't you? :rolleyes:

Like any particular weapon, be it NFA or otherwise is "immune" cuz it's "grandfathered"...

HKGuns
08-19-13, 22:07

Ok, I'll be the first fool to call BS on this advice. Hopefully you meant something you didn't actually type.

Joe Mamma
08-20-13, 07:24

Same here.

I like my Mega and Aero Precision lowers more than my Noveske.

I agree that Mega lowers have the cleanest machining and best finish (that I have seen).

But my concern with Mega is that I have seen 2 different Mega lowers where Mil Spec magazines will not fit properly in them. The mag wells were way too tight.

No one seems to complain about this. But when Mega was contacted, they were familiar with the issue and swapped out the lowers. If I remember correctly, you can see how the newer lowers were machined slightly differently inside the mag well.

Joe Mamma

Boba Fett v2
08-20-13, 07:31

What'chu talkin' 'bout?

http://sapphireridge.net/chronicles/files/2012/07/Gary-Coleman-Death.jpg

Schmidtty
08-21-13, 08:29
What'chu talkin' 'bout?

I guess I'm curious about his line of reasoning as well.

IIRC, the way the last "ban" read, was that the rifle had to be "complete" before the ban started to be considered "pre-ban". Yes, I know this would have been impossible to enforce etc, but perhaps this is what he is talking about?

OliviaGoode
08-21-13, 13:49
Actually I'm interested with these 80% buyer because the discount they are offering is quite impressive. Hope so it's valid yet.

3ACR_Scout
08-22-13, 08:29
I guess I'm curious about his line of reasoning as well.

IIRC, the way the last "ban" read, was that the rifle had to be "complete" before the ban started to be considered "pre-ban". Yes, I know this would have been impossible to enforce etc, but perhaps this is what he is talking about?
I could see individual states imposing odd definitions on the meaning of "complete" and "assault weapon." For example, in Virginia, you have to provide proof of citizenship to buy an "assault weapon," e.g. an AR-15 (which I personally don't have any problem with, but I'm sure liberal gun control advocates would somehow find unjust). However, if you buy only a complete lower, you don't need proof of citizenship because it's not considered an "assault weapon."

Anyway, if I was concerned about imminent restrictions on rifles, I personally wouldn't want to mess around with 80% lowers or even stripped lowers. I'd pay the extra money to buy a complete, quality lower like a BCM or LMT and be done with it. Then I'd start buying additional spare parts to allow me to maintain the rifle(s) in the event that it becomes hard to obtain parts in the future, as we're hearing from people in CT and other recent "ban" states.

Dave

Auto426
08-22-13, 14:13
If they were available, I would probably opt for the $380 BCM complete lowers available from Grant or Rainier. Not the cheapest route, but at least you are getting known quality and you end up saving some time in the process.

Since those lowers seem to be a rarity, I would probably opt for a Aero Precision or Surplus Arms and Ammo gen 2 lower. They are inexpensive, good quality, and I like that the roll marks are more understated than flashy.