PDA

View Full Version : M4 SOPMOD Block 1 vs Block 2

OMEGA9000
08-14-13, 17:00
I have read on TOS that some people prefer the standard configuration compared to the RIS II configuration due to off balance of the rifle given from the extra rail space. For those of you who have had both which set up do you prefer and why? And to our SMEs, in the field which would do you prefer to carry, if given the option? The reason I am asking is because I am looking to build a 14.5'' upper and can't decide between a shorter rail with a FSP or a longer rail w/o FSP.

sinlessorrow
08-14-13, 17:07
The vast benefits of the RIS II over the RAS are justification enough to counter any so called "unbalance". I have both and the balance is fine on both.

RyanB
08-14-13, 17:22
I prefer a longer rail, because they handle better (I have long arms) and I prefer FF to none.

A contact in the Ranger Regiment told me that he instructed his platoon that they may only use the Block 2 because they are demonstrably more accurate, though I believe they also use a different barrel?

OMEGA9000
08-14-13, 17:53
Sinless, what are the benefits if you don't mind me asking?

RyanB, yeah I have a mk18 RIS II and I love it, just wasn't sure how much I would love a 12'' rail. Still looking for some pros and cons between the two besides the "if SOF use them they have to be good" argument. I would love to see some SME feedback. I would say I have shorter arms (wasn't blessed to be tall, I am only 5'5) and I don't grip rifles at the end of the rail like most shooters are doing now. I use a VFG at about halfway between the magwell and the gas block so in my head I feel as if that extra rail space would seem more front heavy but I could been entirely wrong.

midSCarolina
08-14-13, 18:07
I prefer the block ii over the block i / pr

The 7" rail of the isn't very conducive to a proper grip. I don't have a fully extend on the ris ii m4a1 but i do need about 8-9" of it tho. The added weight to the front does make it just a little slower when transitioning from target to target but it is nothing that is a deal breaker for me. I also like how it works well to throw a bipod on it and a Leupold CQBSS or some other vp optic and turn it into somewhat of a mid-range precision setup.

Boba Fett v2
08-14-13, 18:17
We have the standard configuration on our current M4s and they're fine. I purchased my own RAS II for my second tour in Iraq and it worked out great too. Both were carbine short configurations which worked out really well with a foregrip. When I was assigned to an SMU we had the extended DD rails on our M4s. I did like them, but they were a little front heavy considering my rig had an ATPIAL and Surefire mounted at the end. It's funny, but professionally I preferred the shorter rails on my issued carbines. Just seemed better balanced to me, but I'm sure it was because how I had them set up. However, the personal rifles I assembled or purchased all have extended rails. But then again I don't have a lot of shit hanging off my personal rifles. Anyway, I'd opt for a longer/extended rail as it gives you more options/flexibility in terms of accessories and configurations.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-14-13, 18:20
I built my own version of the Block II using the RIS II. The carbine length HG of the PR left alot to be desired as far as rail space and proper grip for how I shoot. Using the RIS II also allowed me to utilize a midlength gas system.

The benefits for me:
Allows me to get a light further out, preventing barrel shadow.
Free floats my barrel.
Solid, bombproof rail and attachment system.
More rail space allows more freedom in where attachments are placed.
Aesthetically pleasing color and design.

samuse
08-15-13, 09:34
I've had both and used both quite a bit. I have them because I like the style. For all practical purposes, there is better stuff on the market.

I put a little over 10K through the Block II-ish gun and way more than that through the M4gery types.

I shoot squared up, NTCH and I can't reach far enough to use 12" of rail, putting a light at the end of the rail makes it more nose heavy and it places the light too far out to be easy to use off the left side, etc. I only use non-magnified optics and rarely shoot past 200 yards. My carbine is in and out of trucks and gets used in pretty close quarters 99% of the time. I only need a white light, so I don't need much rail.

All the training I've been through usually only goes out to 200 yards. With a CL barrel and M193 or 855, free floating ain't gonna do a lot. I have (quite successfully) rang steel out to 500 with an M4gery at a Tigerswan class a few years ago.

The M4gery setup is much handier, snaps onto target quicker and feels lighter/better balanced. I strongly prefer it to the Block II setup for my uses.

The Block II is much better suited to intermediate range and is a compromise in both CQ and intermediate. With an ACOG, the floated M4A1 barrel was surprisingly accurate, but I never use an ACOG. I like the lighter weight of the old style M4 barrel and an Aimpoint.

You just have to figure out what you're going to use it for and which one you like best. I can tell you that the Block II gets heavy in a hurry and that extra rail space is not worth it to me.

This was my Block II:
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/AR-Colt/002-1.jpg

This is my current:
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/ARs/photo2_zps58bbfd02.jpg

WillHines
08-15-13, 09:57
Well, I carried a Block 1 during a year spent in the near east and here is my Block 2:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z401/Will_Hines/photo_zpsc738173e.jpg?t=1376575572

The Block 1 is lighter by far. The Elcan is heavy, but its location doesn't affect the handling as much as something mounted farther out. The longer rail on the Block 2 is more versatile for me in different positions.

The previous poster nailed it as far as the Block 2 being more geared towards mid-distances. As I see it and and have seen them employed, the job of the Block 1 (close and mid compromise) is now split into two configurations: Mk18 (close) and Block 2 (mid).

Bottom line: get it if you love the design and want the clone. As a GP rifle, you can get a better rifle for the price. The Block 2 cost about what I paid for my SR15 and I know which one I shoot more.

Mariley85
08-16-13, 00:58
all I know is that I think the mod 0 looks best.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4301/mk18s.jpg

OMEGA9000
08-16-13, 01:01
Yeah I was thinking about building a Mod 0 and putting an acog on it and just bypass the entire 14.5 setup. But I guess I will just relax on buying anything since I have just thrown down a large chunk of money on a suppressor.

sinlessorrow
08-16-13, 01:02
Sinless, what are the benefits if you don't mind me asking?

RyanB, yeah I have a mk18 RIS II and I love it, just wasn't sure how much I would love a 12'' rail. Still looking for some pros and cons between the two besides the "if SOF use them they have to be good" argument. I would love to see some SME feedback. I would say I have shorter arms (wasn't blessed to be tall, I am only 5'5) and I don't grip rifles at the end of the rail like most shooters are doing now. I use a VFG at about halfway between the magwell and the gas block so in my head I feel as if that extra rail space would seem more front heavy but I could been entirely wrong.

According to industry guys increase reliability and bolt life. You also get zero retention, increased items life, increased accuracy and accuracy retention.

Lots of goodies come with a FF rail, why do you think every gun made now days is FFed.

OMEGA9000
08-16-13, 01:08
Good points, Sinless. When I get a 14.5'' setup I will definitely get FF. Either the Block 2 or something similar.

Redbeardsong
08-16-13, 07:07
Good points, Sinless. When I get a 14.5'' setup I will definitely get FF. Either the Block 2 or something similar.

Daniel Defense did a limited run of pinned 14.5" carbines with a 12 inch RISII rail this year. Here's one we mounted an m203 on at Clyde Armory, just because:

OMEGA9000
08-16-13, 07:58
A thing of beauty. So KAC drop in rails are definitely a thing of the past?

MountainRaven
08-16-13, 08:07
Daniel Defense did a limited run of pinned 14.5" carbines with a 12 inch RISII rail this year. Here's one we mounted an m203 on at Clyde Armory, just because:

You can also use DD's gun builder to order a 14.5" barrel pinned flash hider (mid- or carbine-length gas) upper or complete rifle with the 12" RIS II.

sinlessorrow
08-16-13, 08:25
A thing of beauty. So KAC drop in rails are definitely a thing of the past?

Pretty much. Army is in the process of finding a replacement, and I have heard the Marines are as well.

OMEGA9000
08-16-13, 08:37
I remember the talk about the individual carbine competition but I read on an HK forum that it was decided that none of the weapons provided were good enough to replace the M4. But don't quote me on it just going on memory.

sinlessorrow
08-16-13, 08:54
I remember the talk about the individual carbine competition but I read on an HK forum that it was decided that none of the weapons provided were good enough to replace the M4. But don't quote me on it just going on memory.

Dual path strategy.
IC on one end, PiP on the other. None of the entrants of the IC met the required 3,592MRBS(6/21000) and the M4 showcased 1,691MRBS(12/21000) so the IC concluded with no winners. Now that FNH is making M4A1's the army is getting them for $650 each.

The PiP is focusing on fleeting the M4A1 to phase out the M4, get an ambi safety, and currently replacing the KAC ARS with something better and cheaper.

TCB
08-17-13, 21:12
I carry a M4A1 at work with the KAC 7" rail on it. I have a duplicate upper at home to train on but much prefer my other rifles, all BCM uppers (16" w Centurion 12" rail, it's longer than I really need and a bit heavy but it looks cool....) (14.5" w a DD Omega 9" rail) and (a 11.5 w a Centurion 10" rail).

For me the sweet spot is a 9-10" rail. I'm a bit cramped on my work gun and the extra 2-3" really makes the rifle handle much better for me. I only run a VFG as far out as I can ge it and still activate my light with my thumb and a light at 10:30, if I had to get a DBAL on there a 7" rail would be even more cramped for me. It's workable but....

I think the ideal solution for an issued gun with a fixed FSB would be some sort of extended cutout rail like the DD 12" or one of Centurions rails that is extended on the sides and bottom.

jet66
08-17-13, 22:32
I'm not a pro/SME, but I have spent some time with both the RAS and RIS II (M4A1 with and without FSP.) I had an RAS on my 6920 for a short while, and I just didn't care for it. Could be the well-worn (used) set I had, but it wasn't quite as tight as I like. I picked up a used 14.5" BCM upper w/perm FH with the RIS II 12" and no FSP, and it is by far and away my favorite rifle to shoot. I use an Aimpoint PRO on mine, MBUIS, and getting an Inforce WML for mine. (After not being happy with mounting a Streamlight Polytac.) I don't find it to be unbalanced to shoot at all, nor too heavy.

The FSP model on my 6920 doesn't feel as mobile. I don't know if it is the extra weight of the FSP and bbl as well as being at the end of the rifle, but they have very different feels. I have no problem running around with the 6920 w/FSP all day long, it's not that it's unbearable, but when I bring both, the 6920 is just a backup.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff122/jet1966/ARMods/bcmrisii_zpsb6e0f4a8.jpg

OMEGA9000
08-18-13, 03:20
I appreciate the feedback guys, I decided to go with a block 2 style rail. I figured it would be superior but I just wanted to see what others thought of it.

WS6
04-22-14, 20:39
What is the consensus on the socom profile barrel? Increased life or accuracy in the long haul or just for full auto destructive tests?

NongShim
04-22-14, 23:50
RIS II all day, any day. There is literally no situation where I would EVER chose an M4A1 with RAS/RIS over an M4A1 with a RIS II. None, period.

Short RAS means I have to have a cramped grip on the gun. It means I don't have free floated barrel. It means my light and laser are too far back and create lots of shadow and back splash against my barrel. It means my gun will suck to shoot using various supported positions and from various forms of cover and concealment. It means my gun won't point as well since I can't drive the muzzle as well. The list to keep going but those are high points.

702Warfighter
04-23-14, 00:09
I wouldn't it call it a block I but I did have the Kac ras. While it was nice to have the rail I felt it was too cramped for my style. This pic is about 3 years old.

http://i60.tinypic.com/35mgx9i.jpg

I now run a block II ish setup. The sights are getting replaced as soon as I get a pair of Kac sights.

http://i59.tinypic.com/dmtpw9.jpg

vicious_cb
04-23-14, 00:40
OP, Im not quite sure why you are stuck on the RIS II if you are concerned about weight. The RIS II was designed around a specific set of requirements namely to be able to remove the bottom rail to mount an M203. If you do not need to mount a M203 then why not choose any of the other lighter FF forends out there?

Iraqgunz
04-23-14, 03:18
Not sure he is. This is a post from 2013 that someone recently resurrected.

OP, Im not quite sure why you are stuck on the RIS II if you are concerned about weight. The RIS II was designed around a specific set of requirements namely to be able to remove the bottom rail to mount an M203. If you do not need to mount a M203 then why not choose any of the other lighter FF forends out there?

WS6
04-23-14, 03:25
Not sure he is. This is a post from 2013 that someone recently resurrected.

Apologies, but I was using the search button looking for more info/data on the SOCOM barrel and ran across this thread.

markm
04-24-14, 12:16
Apologies, but I was using the search button looking for more info/data on the SOCOM barrel and ran across this thread.

I bought a SOCOM upper from Bravo last year.... I like it and the weight doesn't bother me... but I didn't shoot it too often after setting it up. THEN.. I tried the ELW from Bravo and short of a non stop full duece gear emptying fire fight in Iraq or Afghanisan, the ELW does everything just as well.

I have too many ARs in rotation... the SOCOM is going to be in the back of the safe for a little while. :(

themighty9mm
04-24-14, 12:40
I just picked up a pair of 14.5 socom profile barrels. Have one pinned /welded, will be sending the other off next weekend. I will say I can tell a weight difference. But I don't believe it to be much of an issue. I plan on running a suppressor on the 2 rifles, which was the big reason for seeking them out. If it wasn't for wanting to get into silencers, I most likely would have looked at a different option.

I have used the KAC, but both of my rifles have gone to the DD ris 2 fsp. Honestly I only need about a 8-9 inch rail. I stand at 5'8 with T-rex arms and fingers to go with them. I use a c clamp style grip right behind the FSP, with a couple fingers directly under the FSP, and a surefire sr07 switch on top. The additional rail completely eliminated any shadow from my light. Big deal? Probably not, but it was a cool product of a rail that I find pleasing. Not to mention I like that I can take the bottom off with relative ease for cleaning, and the lock up of the rail to the upper inspires a great deal of confidence in me. Its a bit heavier but I think over all it offers a lot more than the KAC

markm
04-24-14, 13:22
The SOCOM profile approaches a more logical, taper like shape. Thus, the additional weight isn't completely awkward.

Likewise.. the ELW barrel isn't THAT thin under the handguard... but it's taper shape to the thinnest portion, in front of the gas block, give it the feel of a complete pencil skinny barrel.

Both of these examples lead me to what others long ago concluded.... the govt profile is completely retarded.

themighty9mm
04-24-14, 19:42
Not sure what I did there.

ROUTEMICHIGAN
04-29-14, 01:04
I had the KAC on my Colt M4A1 but it always felt a bit cramped. Swapped the KAC for a RIS and it made the gun feel and handle like a totally different animal. I think I'm actually quicker on target transitions than with the shorter rail-- having my support hand out farther on the barrel. Even with the heavier SOCOM profile, the gun does not feel front heavy and is perfect for my shooting style. Plus, I like having the light out near the barrel at 12o'clock.

Johnson184
03-25-16, 21:46
Which one is issued more in the military? The DD RIS II with the FSB gap or the no FSB?

Wiggity
03-27-16, 14:01
That funny, having had both, I totally prefer the 7" rails. The more weight toward the back/middle of the gun, the more balanced it feels to me. I also don't mount a ton of crap on my rail or hold it by the muzzle so I can't think of any reason to have a longer/heavier rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BooneGA
03-28-16, 05:21
Which one is issued more in the military? The DD RIS II with the FSB gap or the no FSB?

I rarely see the non-FSB model anymore. All of the 14.5 barrels we have in our inventory have the FSB, which I hate.

Rick

kantstudien
03-29-16, 01:05
Is there any trick to reinstalling the FSB after installing the RIS II? Seems like there would not be a lot of room to drive the FSB pins back in?

Moshjath
03-29-16, 15:34
The main reason that I run a KAC RAS at home is because that is what my issued M4 at work has, and I want the rifle I train with at home to replicate my issued rifle. If I had the freedom to choose anything in the supply system, I'd definitely go with the RIS II. Alas, I am in the big army, and use what I am issued.

titsonritz
03-29-16, 16:01
Is there any trick to reinstalling the FSB after installing the RIS II? Seems like there would not be a lot of room to drive the FSB pins back in?

Install the FSP taper pins prior to tightening the RIS II bolts. I hold it steady with this barrel vise jaw (http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/barrel-tools/scg-ar-15-m16-accu-grip-barrel-vise-jaws-prod12799.aspx?psize=96).

Johnson184
03-31-16, 23:16
Man, this is a tough decision. Picked up a Colt 14.5" SOCOM profile barrel this week. Looking to get a 6920 OEM to swap the barrel onto for a clone build. Was going to just use the KAC RAS and a M4 Carbine stock since they're so iconic. Until I clicked on a few threads here, I had no idea about the existence of the Block II rifles. They a relatively new development? RIS II rail just makes the rifle look more like any regular AR15 now.

TinyCrumb
04-04-16, 12:05
Man, this is a tough decision. Picked up a Colt 14.5" SOCOM profile barrel this week. Looking to get a 6920 OEM to swap the barrel onto for a clone build. Was going to just use the KAC RAS and a M4 Carbine stock since they're so iconic. Until I clicked on a few threads here, I had no idea about the existence of the Block II rifles. They a relatively new development? RIS II rail just makes the rifle look more like any regular AR15 now.

Nope, they won the contract for SOCOM back around 2006ish. It's been part of the current generation of SOPMOD accessories ever since. Most any pics you find of SOCOM units deployed or training they're using them - both the M4A1 RIS II for the 14.5" builds and the Mk 18 RIS II for the M4 CQBR.

You can check out of a cool gallery of the M4A1 RIS II in use here. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tinycrumb/sets/72157666195499826)

And another cool one with the Mk 18 RIS II here. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tinycrumb/sets/72157666072132495)

Johnson184
04-07-16, 02:30
Interesting... thanks for the gallery links!

Am wondering one thing though... I understand how to install the RIS II on a low profile gas block, but how exactly is it done with a fixed front sight post barrel? I just can't seem to figure out how they slide the FSP/Rail over the barrel and then secure the FSP to the barrel properly while the rail is blocking access.

Wiggity
04-07-16, 08:35

Am wondering one thing though... I understand how to install the RIS II on a low profile gas block, but how exactly is it done with a fixed front sight post barrel? I just can't seem to figure out how they slide the FSP/Rail over the barrel and then secure the FSP to the barrel properly while the rail is blocking access.

It's a 2 piece rail if you have the fsp model. If you have the non-fsp model then you have to shave it off if you still want your pinned gas block.

FireandFlames
04-07-16, 15:52
The only block 2 rifles I see are non fsp models, I have actually never seen a rifle in the wild with the cut out rail. In regiment joe is running 14.5 rifles with elcans and insight lights and peq's with dual input pressure switches, if hes rocking a 320 thats carried in a holster on his kit. Teamleaders get a choice between block 2's or scars with 6x elcans. Squadleaders/RTOs/etc are running mk18's with the insight light/laser and a eotech or elcan. Almost every rifle is rocking a ctr stock and a CAA, hogue, or ergo grip, and everyone runs the vtac sling. Each rifle has suppressor capability via a surefire flash hider. All rifles are configured the same when it comes to light/laser placement but that varies between companies. If you want to clone one be sure to paint each part and contrasting color from each other and proceed to drag it behind a vehicle for a few miles.

BooneGA
04-08-16, 06:49
The only block 2 rifles I see are non fsp models, I have actually never seen a rifle in the wild with the cut out rail. In regiment joe is running 14.5 rifles with elcans and insight lights and peq's with dual input pressure switches, if hes rocking a 320 thats carried in a holster on his kit. Teamleaders get a choice between block 2's or scars with 6x elcans. Squadleaders/RTOs/etc are running mk18's with the insight light/laser and a eotech or elcan. Almost every rifle is rocking a ctr stock and a CAA, hogue, or ergo grip, and everyone runs the vtac sling. Each rifle has suppressor capability via a surefire flash hider. All rifles are configured the same when it comes to light/laser placement but that varies between companies. If you want to clone one be sure to paint each part and contrasting color from each other and proceed to drag it behind a vehicle for a few miles.

You havent been looking hard enough then. The VAST majority of the USASOC Block 2s are the FSP model. I was on a CV with regiment guys last night but didnt check to see which model they had...

Rick

TinyCrumb
04-08-16, 14:01
You havent been looking hard enough then. The VAST majority of the USASOC Block 2s are the FSP model. I was on a CV with regiment guys last night but didnt check to see which model they had...

Rick
This. There's a crap ton of FSPs being used out there. And while the CTR is common, so is the SOPMOD, M4, and a slew of other personally or unit purchased stocks.

http://i.imgur.com/hpv2nJ8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9cg3Dow.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rKuSNBj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YU9Rg2G.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4nCoM3o.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gZYVNM3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/i7lN1id.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MJIQ9KD.jpg

TinyCrumb
04-08-16, 14:04

You replace the gas block pins before you mount up the rail to the mounting plate. So you keep the rail at an angle off the barrel (but with it slipped over), re-install pins, then mount up rail to the plate, then mount the bottom part. It's really not that bad.

veeklog
04-09-16, 23:57
You replace the gas block pins before you mount up the rail to the mounting plate. So you keep the rail at an angle off the barrel (but with it slipped over), re-install pins, then mount up rail to the plate, then mount the bottom part. It's really not that bad.

Did it this morning when I changed out the 6920 barrel I had on mine with my spare Colt 14.5" Gov't profile barrel. Pretty damn easy

FireandFlames
04-11-16, 16:49

Rick

Really? Never seen them, I thought the fsp rifles were from early in the block 2 program and they ceased buying them in favor of the flattop rifles. You know who got the lions share of them, ODA or regt? Only 14.5 rifles I have seen are non-fsp railed and those are in the hands of batt boys, that's in country though.

Combat_Diver
04-17-16, 07:10
I'm a SOCOM armorer now that I'm retired and still down range. In the last two years have only seen 2 DD RIS II M4 FSB and one was ordered by the 1st SFGA armorer and other on a 20th SFGA gun. All ODAs, SEAL Trident teams, MARSOC, CCT run non FSBs. Normal barrel for Block IIs are Govt Profiled 14.5" or 10.3". My personal gun at home is set up as a Block I for that is what I was used to carrying for 15 yrs. I only run a optic (ACOG or Aimpoint) and a SF light on mine. However, I wouldn't mind getting a DD RIS II for the free floating benefits. Normal M4A1s carried by the support companies/battalions use a 14.5" SOCOM bbl w/ A2 FH with KAC RAS. Here some recent rebuilds I did. I only stock two DD RIS II for repair, Mk18 and M4 both non FSB.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_1235_uppers.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_1234_uppers.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_1242_rz.jpg

CD

pinzgauer
04-17-16, 08:03
Interesting thread and great pics!

Couple of questions:

Are the rear sights and charge handle part of the block? Or unit/individual pick?

Also, it is very interesting to see all the eotechs...they still using them? Never saw the issues? Or moving to something else?

Combat_Diver
04-17-16, 08:12
Interesting thread and great pics!

Couple of questions:

Are the rear sights and charge handle part of the block? Or unit/individual pick?

Also, it is very interesting to see all the eotechs...they still using them? Never saw the issues? Or moving to something else?

Standard Army rear BUIS is the MaTech and SOCOM KAC 600m (still some KAC 300m out there). On the charging handles standard Army is the still the old one, SOCOM has approved the PRI M84 Gas Buster and those Raptors pictured where purchased with State Guard money (20th SFGA). The SU-230 EoTech is the standard SOCOM close quarters optic. Don't know what they are going to replace it with yet, testing for that is still ongoing.

CD

pinzgauer
04-17-16, 08:37
Standard Army rear BUIS is the MaTech and SOCOM KAC 600m (still some KAC 300m out there). Snip...

Thanks much! The CHs caught my eye and made me wonder

Any real world preference between the MaTech vs KAC sights? (Recognizing that they are BUIS and many may not care)

I ask as the MaTech appears a bit fiddly. I still use the LMT cut down carry handle style on carbines w/o optics, but want a trustworthy buis to use on the ones with optics. (Assuming better than the prolific magpul pro)

BooneGA
04-17-16, 09:31

Any real world preference between the MaTech vs KAC sights? (Recognizing that they are BUIS and many may not care)

I ask as the MaTech appears a bit fiddly. I still use the LMT cut down carry handle style on carbines w/o optics, but want a trustworthy buis to use on the ones with optics. (Assuming better than the prolific magpul pro)

The only thing ive seen is that the Matech models don't always lock up in the same position every time. This is probably due to age or dirt and debris. Probably not a large enough difference to matter, but I run the KACs on my MK18.

The PRI Gasbuster is the only charging handle ive ever seen break under normal use. On multiple occasions. I have used the BCM models before, but I don't have an issue with the GI handle at all.

Rick

Combat_Diver
04-17-16, 10:11

My haven't used either that much as I relayed on a ARMs #40L on issued gun and personal. Both work but spare parts are available for the MaTech. Seen too many bored conventional troops play with theirs do to boredom and break them or leave them up. I do like shooting long range with a properly zeroed MaTech, haven't done anything past 25m with the KAC yet.

CD

cathellsk
04-17-16, 14:51
My haven't used either that much as I relayed on a ARMs #40L on issued gun and personal. Both work but spare parts are available for the MaTech. Seen too many bored conventional troops play with theirs do to boredom and break them or leave them up. I do like shooting long range with a properly zeroed MaTech, haven't done anything past 25m with the KAC yet.

CD

What front sights are used on the DD rails?

pinzgauer
04-17-16, 15:44
Thanks much, guys. Great info

BooneGA
04-18-16, 01:19
What front sights are used on the DD rails?

The MK18s come with the standard KAC flip up (not micro) front sights in FDE.

Rick

Combat_Diver
04-18-16, 02:07
The MK18s come with the standard KAC flip up (not micro) front sights in FDE.

Rick

Initial issue is FDE, but replacements are black lately.

CD