PDA

View Full Version : Can you modify USGI mags to seat easily on a closed bolt?

black22rifle
08-14-13, 17:15
I just received some PSA D&H USGI mags and i find them a little hard to seat on a closed bolt with 30 rounds loaded. They will seat but it takes a decent push to get them seated unlike Pmags which will slide right in. I took measurements of the hole for the mag catch on both mags and the Pmags hole is .020" wider and .005" taller than the D&H magazine. Has anyone tried opening up the hole a little bit to allow them to seat easier on a closed bolt when fully loaded?

Iraqgunz
08-14-13, 17:32
The smart solution it to download the magazine by two rounds like we have been doing since the early 70's.

I just received some PSA D&H USGI mags and i find them a little hard to seat on a closed bolt with 30 rounds loaded. They will seat but it takes a decent push to get them seated unlike Pmags which will slide right in. I took measurements of the hole for the mag catch on both mags and the Pmags hole is .020" wider and .005" taller than the D&H magazine. Has anyone tried opening up the hole a little bit to allow them to seat easier on a closed bolt when fully loaded?

sierra 223
08-14-13, 17:53
Agreed, down load by two.

black22rifle
08-14-13, 18:16
I tried that and even with 28 rounds loaded it is just as hard to do. I even tried it with only 3 rounds and it was the same thing, however if the mag is empty its like butter just like a fully loaded pmag. I tried this with 2 out of the 10 mags i received from PSA.

Failure2Stop
08-14-13, 18:52
Enlarging the magazine catch hole is a baaaad idea.
Rather, shave a little off the leg(s) of the follower to allow it to depress a bit more.

Still recommend simply downloading.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

sammage
08-14-13, 19:26
28 is the easiest and guaranteed to work answer.