PDA

View Full Version : Caliber diversification question / New pistol purchase advice

big_pErm
08-14-13, 18:43
I currently own two 9mm handguns (sig P226 & P938) and I am getting ready to take the 45 ACP plunge and buy my first 1911. The primary use of the 1911 will be a range toy and a backup home defense weapon.

I am looking at a couple of different options for my purchase. My current budget is to stay under $2K, including extra mags, any small mods/accessories, break in ammo, etc.

Here are my options at this moment

#1. Pick up a Ruger SR1911 or a Springfield Loaded or a Sig Tac Ops for around $700-900 AND a Glock 22

OR

#2 pick up a Springfield TRP and call it a day.

I am looking for some advice or feedback on:

#1 - The 1911 purchase - given my options which way would you go?

#2 - Caliber diversity. During this ammo shortage .40 caliber has been more than plentiful in my area. Practice rounds, defensive, you name it. It's all been available and affordable (all things considered). Does it make sense if I own a 9mm and .45 and then to add a .40 to the gun case?

Thanks in advance for your input

steyrm9a19mmfan
08-14-13, 18:51
Commonality has a lot going for it. Having a wide variety of calibers is great and can be lots of fun to shoot but your wallet will take most of the causalities. Since you already have 2 9mm handguns I would stay with that caliber and just add any new platforms you want(i.e 1911 to that caliber.) That way you have to only buy one caliber of ammo that is common to all handguns that you have.

Frailer
08-14-13, 19:49
#2 - Caliber diversity. During this ammo shortage .40 caliber has been more than plentiful in my area. Practice rounds, defensive, you name it. It's all been available and affordable (all things considered). Does it make sense if I own a 9mm and .45 and then to add a .40 to the gun case?

I don't agree with the logic of buying guns in multiple calibers to increase the odds of finding ammo during a shortage. It makes more sense to me to spend the money you would have spent on that gun to buy more ammo for guns you already have.

The best way to avoid the problem of being unable to find ammo during a shortage is to have enough ammo on hand to not need to find ammo in the event of a shortage.

Urban_Redneck
08-15-13, 07:56
I would buy a Springfield Range Officer and lots of 45acp.

my $0.02

bzdog
08-15-13, 08:09
I don't agree with the logic of buying guns in multiple calibers to increase the odds of finding ammo during a shortage. It makes more sense to me to spend the money you would have spent on that gun to buy more ammo for guns you already have.

The best way to avoid the problem of being unable to find ammo during a shortage is to have enough ammo on hand to not need to find ammo in the event of a shortage.

This is my thought (exactly) as well. Don't expect to find ANYTHING in a crisis.

I also extended that thought to reducing the diversity of the firearms I have. I used to have a variety of different handguns. I've swapped things around so now I have only two different magazine types that fit everything I have.

-john

AJD
08-15-13, 09:30
Of the two choices the TRP all day every day.

125 mph
08-15-13, 11:25
My honest advice is none of the above. But, of the choices you've identified I'd get the TRP.

DanjojoUSMC
08-15-13, 11:27
I think it is a good idea to just buy more 9mm ammo but if you truly do want a .45 - you would have more fun with a HK USP Tactical with V9 detent plate. Soft-shooting extreme accuracy, much better durability/reliability. For range and a home defense option why not. Cost is better than a mid level or high end 1911 unless buying a bunch of mags (but even here at least no playing games finding which mags work with your baby), more money left for the ammo.

ggammell
08-15-13, 11:31
TRP.

It's a solid weapon. Springfields CS is known for being top of the line. And the warranty lasts for the life of the gun, not the owner.

I would skip he G22 so you're not adding a third caliber unless you REALLY want a .40. Between your P226 and your soon to be .45 1911, there isn't much a G22 will offer you.

PatrioticDisorder
08-15-13, 11:32

Buying multiple guns, no.... Buying multiple barrels (&mags), YES! Stock up heavily with 1 caliber primarily & have barrels for other calibers that the same gun can shoot. Example, M&P40, you can buy a factory 9mm barrel or conversion barrel (plus 9mm mags) & should get stock reliability out of it (M&P 9s & 40s share same recoil spring, extractor & ejector). You can also get a .357 sig barrel (no extra mags needed .40/.357 mags are the same) and now you have 3 caliber choices out of 1 gun.

jpeezy
08-15-13, 11:34
My vote would be a Glock 21, x300 and 6920. You should be right on budget. In all seriousness the TRP is a good choice as well as the Colt rail gun.

big_pErm
08-15-13, 20:17
I went back by my LGS today and looked around some more. Finally held a Ruger SR1911 and while I'm sure it's a fine weapon it didn't hold a candle to the quality of the TRP or the Sig.

Actually held an H&K 45 and honestly I was disappointed, especially for the price.

I ruled out the .40 option, I agree with most as I would rather just buy more ammo

Pretty much now just down to a Sig 1911 or the TRP. They have a Sig Extreme for $1000 and a TRP for $1400. Is the TRP really $400 better?

SmokinSigs357
08-15-13, 20:24
If I had $2K to spend on a 1911, I'd get a Les Baer or Wilson Combat and tell everyone that I wanted magazines and ammo for my birthdays and Christmas.

In the meantime, I'd be plenty happy loading my one or two mags at the range...

bzdog
08-15-13, 21:28
BTW, if I had $2K to blow I'd probably just get two PPQs and like 17 mags. :-)

(OK, maybe 10 mags, a Surefire X300, a light and non light Raven holster and mag carrier)

-john

ralph
08-16-13, 03:55
If you're worried about ammo shortages, why not take the 2k, and instead of buying another handgun, Why not buy buy either a Dillon 550or 650, some dies, stock up on primers, powder, bullets, etc now, and you won't have to worry about ammo shortages..

babypanther
08-16-13, 04:51
I would get myself some extra mags/holster/light/whatever, spend the rest on ammo and a good reputable trainer/class, and also maybe try to get into reloading. Your stated purpose of the 1911 being a range toy leads me to recommend the SA Range Officer. The R.O. can easily be found for well under 1000 dollars. That leaves room for buying ammo and extras and maybe some mods to the gun once you realize what you do and don't like about it. But I would just buy a thousand dollars of whatever you need and take a good class.

ericl
08-16-13, 05:26
I will start off with a direct answer to your question. While we all have our own opinions about what WE would do with $2K, I believe you want advice on a 1911. Given the options you stated, get the Springfield TRP. It is head and shoulders above the other options you listed. Big rule when entertaining the idea of a 1911, don't try scrimp on cost. You will end up regretting it. Buy once, cry once.
That said, your question indicates you are concerned with ammo shortages and other logistic issues. While I LOVE my 1911s, they are one big logistic issue. If it is a range gun, great. However, if it is part of your end-o'-the world arsenal, there are better choices. "Caliber diversification" is a theory on dealing with ammo shortage, but all theories have holes in them. You already have 2 pistols in the most common caliber in the world. Straying from that, I and many others have been able to find .40 easier than .45 in the past 8 months. If diversification is your goal for future ammo shortages and you like the sig 226, get one in .40 with an additional .357 sig barrel. Or less expensive yet, a glock 22 with multiple conversion barrels. Heck, a S&W 686 in .357 / .38!

elnino31
08-16-13, 08:04
I don't see any issues with having multiple calibers in the safe. I'm a firm believer that everyone should own a 1911. But I wouldn't bet my life on one as a primary defense weapon and mine is a trp. That being said. The trp is solid for the price tag, but don't leave out a Dan Wesson. Great 1911's.

Don't get too caught up in stocking tons of ammo for every gun. You should have a "go-to" caliber that you stock plenty of ammo for. And mags, spare parts etc. Leaves you less susceptible to shortages and crisis.

tonyxcom
08-16-13, 08:19
I added .40 and .45 to 9mm in the last few months too. I only got the G23 because it was a deal I couldn't pass up. But I've bought a couple of polymer .45's since.

I had been toying the idea of a 45 for a while. I've been able to buy ammo from my local member range at near pre-panic prices but there were limits per caliber. For most of the shortage it was 2 boxes per day per caliber. It's loosening up for 45 too.

nalabama
08-16-13, 11:18
For me, it would be an identical Sig 226 now, and start on .45ACP later.

rathos
08-17-13, 13:48
Why not a p220? You could use the same holsters as your 226 and the only thing you would need besides ammo would be mags. A 1911 is an awesome pistol but a 220 is easier to work on and just as mechanically accurate

jmk
08-17-13, 22:06
I currently own two 9mm handguns (sig P226 & P938) and I am getting ready to take the 45 ACP plunge and buy my first 1911. The primary use of the 1911 will be a range toy and a backup home defense weapon.

I am looking at a couple of different options for my purchase. My current budget is to stay under $2K, including extra mags, any small mods/accessories, break in ammo, etc.

Here are my options at this moment

#1. Pick up a Ruger SR1911 or a Springfield Loaded or a Sig Tac Ops for around $700-900 AND a Glock 22

OR

#2 pick up a Springfield TRP and call it a day.

I am looking for some advice or feedback on:

#1 - The 1911 purchase - given my options which way would you go?

Thanks in advance for your input

how about the Sig plus a .22 upper conversion? then you can afford to shoot your Sig!

i agree that you should consider caliber diversity given the times we live in. i found the same with .40 during The Panic - always could get some, and was always cheaper than 9mm & 45acp.

to those who say just buy more 9mm, there's not much different between 1000 rounds of 45acp and a brand new glock 22. except the glock will last generations instead of a couple months.

however, platform diversity is somewhat of a different matter...

if you have Sig's already, why don't you consider a 220 SAO? you get some 1911-ness, but better training commonality with your others.

you can also get a .22 upper for your sigs so you can afford to shoot more than a box a week.

given your parameters, if i just wanted a 1911 (and nothing wrong or uncommon there), i'd go for the ruger plus a couple .22 uppers for the sigs and the 1911.

Frailer
08-17-13, 22:56
...to those who say just buy more 9mm, there's not much different between 1000 rounds of 45acp and a brand new glock 22. except the glock will last generations instead of a couple months...

I can't grasp the logic of preparing for an ammo shortage buying guns in calibers that *might* be available.

Once more, with feeling: the *best* way to prepare for a potential ammo shortage is to have enough ammo on hand to be unaffected by it. I've been shooting $10/box 9mm throughout this shortage. Why would I want to spend $500 for the privilege of shooting $18/box .40?

If you can't afford to build a reasonable stockpile of ammo, then buying another gun might be a viable option; otherwise, it's a suboptimal solution.

jmk
08-17-13, 23:49
I can't grasp the logic of preparing for an ammo shortage buying guns in calibers that *might* be available.

Once more, with feeling: the *best* way to prepare for a potential ammo shortage is to have enough ammo on hand to be unaffected by it. I've been shooting $10/box 9mm throughout this shortage. Why would I want to spend $500 for the privilege of shooting $18/box .40?

If you can't afford to build a reasonable stockpile of ammo, then buying another gun might be a viable option; otherwise, it's a suboptimal solution.

fair points, but here's the counter: you end up with two (or more) guns instead of one. and nothing prevents stockpiling BOTH calibers.
now you can leave one in your car or nightstand or whatever. it's a spare - 2 is 1, and 1 is none, right?

and there's no "might be" in .40. if it didn't go away this year, it ain't gonna...
it is the default LEO round now and for the foreseeable future.

come to think of it, stick to 9mm, please. more 40 for me.

Benito
08-18-13, 00:12
I initially took the same approach, but after a while changed course.
Had pistols in 9mm and .40, eventually sold the .40 for another 9mm. Cheaper, not enough of a benefit to justify the cost difference.
Pluses are mag commonality and eventually, I'll reload, so one less caliber to manage. Not to mention easier to control recoil, especially for family members, new shooters, etc.

Corse
08-18-13, 08:19
Why not a p220? You could use the same holsters as your 226 and the only thing you would need besides ammo would be mags. A 1911 is an awesome pistol but a 220 is easier to work on and just as mechanically accurate

This sounds like a good idea. I went this same route a couple of times with different systems, Sigs, glocks, now HKs.

I believe this would be better then getting a new type of gun ie 1911, unless you just want one.

As for buying conversion barrels, I think you would be better off buying a complete gun for a little more money, that way if one goes down you have a spare.

Crow Hunter
08-18-13, 08:30
I didn't go out an do this on purpose. I originally had all .40 guns but sold all but one of them off to buy 9mm around 2002 or so.

I kept my old G23 carry gun and G32 barrel combo along with a small stash of magazines. I did it mostly because I still had a fairly good stash of .40 carry and practice ammo that I hated to just "throw away" selling. I normally use the G23 frame as a host for my AA conversion. But it has come in handy to be able to always get a box or 2 of ammo when I go to the store. They almost always have either .40 or .357 Sig on the shelf and that way I don't have to dip into my "safety stock" on my 9mm stash. I normally prefer to replace what I shoot the next time I hit Walmart/local gun stores.

If I were starting out "fresh" without already owning a .40, I probably would go with Frailer's idea and just buy $2,000 worth of 9mm rather than getting a new gun.

If, however, you are just looking for an excuse to buy a new gun ;), getting a .40/.357 Sig combo pistol that has the same operating characteristics as your primary carry guns would be a somewhat logical use of funds. If you are trying to rationalize it.

johnnybravo
08-18-13, 08:45
How much can you run with?

Corse
08-18-13, 08:57

Are you suggesting one pistol and three or four mags of ammo? If so, that sounds like poor advice. Won't be getting much practice.

Hawaiianbro10
08-18-13, 11:13
I have a ruger sr1911 and has been reliable and no issues. Shot 600+ rounds so far and I also use Wilson combat mags.

I say having a gun in major calibers is a good idea.

Own a Glock19,20sf / PF9 / M&P40c / Ruger LCR / SIG P226

Having guns in 9, 40, 45, 357/38 is not a bad idea. If not sure you can look for used guns at the shops too. Got my SIG for 500 from a friend who only shot 200rds out of it. Glock 20sf got for 468 never shot due to ammo cost. Since I reload makes ammo cheaper for 9, 40/10, 45, 357/38. Reloading ammo can save you many $$

Frailer
08-18-13, 14:04

Run where?

Hunter Rose
08-18-13, 14:53
If you want a 1911 and want it to double for home defense with a budget of $2K, keep your eyes out for a used Wilson Combat or Springfield Professional model. If you can't afford more or want to go cheaper no choice get a Colt. If you're not going the semi-custom route, Colt still uses the highest quality parts and is the best chance for a reliable out of he box 1911.

richiecotite
08-18-13, 16:13
Get a 1911. With your budget, I'd be looking at a Dan Wesson.

Or get your reloading setup and as many smAll pistol primers and powder.

uffdaphil
08-18-13, 17:56
Kind of surprised to not see more love here for the Colt 1911. You could get a good basic platform now and soup up as much as you like later.

I had no trouble deciding which caliber to get rid of. No way I can part with the Colt 1911 or J-frame .38's, and .22 serves pistol + AR so that left 9mm. Traded the Kahr9 for CW45 and Baretta 92 for M&P45. Sold the .357 686 but kept the ammo for an 1892 lever which also takes .38. Around here .45 always seemed easier to find than 9mm.

Recently started loading up on AK74 spam cans too for SHTF insurance.

beschatten
08-19-13, 02:51
If you want a 1911, I'd get a Colt - especially if you have intentions of getting work done to it.
If you want an out-of-box great 1911, with a company that will bend their backs to make sure your product is working all the time, get the TRP.
Can't go wrong with either. For myself, I personally enjoy the Colt. I wouldn't even think twice about it.

There's nothing wrong with having different calibers / platforms. Now if you want to just take a purely tactical approach, buy 2 Glocks in 9mm, stockpile on parts, buy crates of ammo and call it a night. But what's the fun in that? This is a hobby as well.

walkin' trails
08-19-13, 07:39
You can't go.wrong.with a .45 in any of the packages that everyone has suggested, or an M&P 45. As far as diversifying calibers, only if you just like to shoot different types. Otherwise, there are logistics problems that you may encounter. As far as the ammo shortage goes, at this point in time there wouldn't be one if the crooks and speculators weren't buying it up and selling it on the net at grossly inflated prices. When it's over, calmly stock up without being greedy, have a.training plan, and you'll nog.be caught short the.next.time.

Straight Shooter
08-19-13, 07:56
Without having read all the threads here.....heres what I DO:
1. All my semis are one style..GLOCK. A G21 & G17. I had a superb M9
but decided to go ONE route for my semi-autos.
2. A revolver in .357...mines a bobbed 3" SP101, and its a powerhouse, AND its two guns in one...38 Special also.
3. A soon to be acquired Ruger Mark 3 .22 auto will finish off the stash.
Since Glock mags are now back in the low $20;s, and ammo is back more or less for all of these calibers..these are my suggestions.
Proper holsters for each weapon...I use/carry/recommend a Galco Double Time IWB/OWB for the Glocks, at least 6 extra mags per pistol, a few speedstrips and speedloaders for the revolver, and all the ammo you can afford. There ya go.

Grand58742
08-19-13, 09:04
One thing about the Sig is they tend to be picky on mags. Mine didn't care for the traditional 1911 mags I have a hoop of no matter who makes them. They just don't activate the slide stop which apparently is a common problem with the Sig 1911s. Replaced the factory release with a Wilson extended release and the problem persisted.

But, I've had good luck with the factory mags and the Mec-Gar types like these (http://www.mec-gar.com/Magazines/1911/MGCG4508PF) which function flawlessly and activate the slide stop without problems. I haven't tried any Wilson ETMs or 47Ds so I can't speak to whether the Sig likes them or not. I went with what the gun liked and called it a day.

Just FYI in case you do pick up the Sig. Be careful to check what it actually likes before making a major purchase of spare magazines.

08-20-13, 09:03
Been thinking about a Gen4 G21 for my .45 needs. Just haven't wanted a .45 yet.

bigmatt
08-21-13, 16:45
I've had a little bit of the same thought through all of this current shortage. Around me the things gone first off the ammo shelves are 22lr and 9mm. I have thought about eventually picking up a 1911 in .45acp to add to my current 9mm guns for two reasons: to have another caliber I can find and just because I want a 1911. I see .45 much more than .40 in my area.

As for the OP if I had the $$ I would not hesitate to buy a TRP and spend the rest on ammo. I am just basing that on every rave review I hear about the TRP and about SA customer "if" ever needed. A TRP is on my list, but not anywhere close to my budget so it might end up being a RIA Tactical, Ruger, or entry level SA.

Hawaiianbro10
08-21-13, 17:22
I look at colt 1911 and there AR's are fine forearms but for the price you can get better.