PDA

View Full Version : Swapping between bolt carriers

jjakeyoon
08-14-13, 22:22
So I have an AR-15 with a semi auto bolt carrier and I am looking into getting a full auto bolt carrier. However, I have noticed that my manual said never to switch bolt carriers or bolts with another AR-15 as it can cause serious injury or death. Why is this? And if this is the case, why do companies sell spare bolts, bolt carriers, and grips (such as the Magpul MIAD) that allows you to carry a spare bolt? And don't you have to replace the bolt once in awhile anyway if it cracks?

Thanks in advance.

Zane1844
08-14-13, 22:33
Insurance reasons, maybe.

Also improper headspace of the bolt could make the rifle go boom. I have not read of that happening with AR's though- I am not a wealth of knowledge either.

If everything is in spec, you are good to go.

BUBBAGUNS
08-14-13, 22:53
A carrier isn't a bolt. You will be fine swapping a auto carrier for a semi. It isn't a big deal swapping bolts either but it might be a good idea to check headspace with a bolt swap.

jjakeyoon
08-14-13, 22:56
I know its not... I guess I worded it weird. But how can you check for head space?

BUBBAGUNS
08-15-13, 00:46
You can buy a set of go, no-go gages.

Col_Crocs
08-15-13, 03:16
Carriers are fine to switch out. As mentioned above, for bolts, esp. if youve had quite a sum of rounds through your weapon, check your headspace to be safe.

mastiffhound
08-15-13, 04:54
I thought it was okay to swap a new bolt into an AR, but never a used bolt? Carrier shouldn't matter from what I remember. How lovely, another chance to learn something that I'm unsure of!

Iraqgunz
08-15-13, 05:31
Topic has been beat to death. Please utilize the ORANGE search button.