PDA

View Full Version : P229 Rust Issues

jschmitt08
08-15-13, 05:25
Anyone else have problems with their Sig Sauer P229's rusting on top of the hammer and decock lever? No matter what I do I cannot keep the rust from coming back every few days. Any tips/ideas on how to prevent this?

DBZ220
08-15-13, 05:56
My older German SIGs were rust magnets on duty and concealed. I prefer Robar's NP3 finish overall. But I was also able to keep rust off the controls with a light wipedown with Eezox.

beschatten
08-15-13, 10:22
Surface rust on a Sig is pretty well documented.

A permanent solution would be looking into getting it re-finished.

ra2bach
08-15-13, 11:33
Eezox...

Nick081974
08-17-13, 08:34
No issues here yet with my 229, but given people have since this before it does kinda worry me.

Austin Millbarge
08-17-13, 09:54
I carried one for 12 years with the CSP. It rusted constantly, no amount of wiping it down would prevent the rust more than one day. I eventually put a coat of turtle wax on it. That worked like a charm. Just like you would wax a car, wipe it on, wipe it off. I would blow the wax dust off with compressed air and it was good to go.

08-17-13, 11:31
I carry a 229 on duty. I knew Sigs were prone to rust before I started, so I keep a healthy amount of Slip 2000 on the gun. I also use a silicone cloth to do a wipe down on the slide and frame every couple days. If its god awful humid or it gets rained on, the gun gets field stripped and cleaned. I have not had a speck of rust on my 229 in 3.5 years of carrying it. I've got in the neighborhood of 2,500 rounds through it as well. The above methods have worked well for me.

VIP3R 237
08-17-13, 11:39
Just Cerakote it and rust will never be a factor again.

Or use Barricade or another dedicated rust preventor.

JimmyB62
08-17-13, 11:46
I was a motor cop in Seattle. We rode year round so my P229 got exposed to a lot of rain. Wiping it down everyday worked ok but I would also get little flecks of rust in the barrel. I bought a Bar-Sto stainless barrel which took care of that problem. Just wiping the gun down ever day or two should work. I'd get rust spots every couple days for years and after wiping it down I never noticed any permanent damage.

bluejackets92fs
08-17-13, 14:06
Refinish it. Sig has never been noted highly for their coatings.

halmbarte
08-17-13, 15:03
The newer Sigs with the nitride coating are pretty good.

H

Turnkey11
08-20-13, 16:17
I had my Israeli surplus 228 refinished by US Anodizing about a year or 2 ago; all steel parts reparked and coated and the aluminum frame was stripped, reanodized, and coated. Since then Ive put a couple k through it, hiked with it, ran with it, swam with it, rolled in gravel with it, and shopped at walmart with it. Either a testament to holster selection or the finish itself, I have not experienced any peeling, flaking, or undue abrasion to the finish other than common wear spots from leather holsters and handling. Apologies for the dirty camera lens...

http://imageshack.com/a/img20/65/fuh9.jpg

arcticlightfighter
08-21-13, 13:24
Refinish it. Sig has never been noted highly for their coatings.

My West German SIG's rusted if I looked at them. My 226 and 228 slide would turn brown.

My SS milled slide 226 .40 and 229 .40's would get spotty rust on the slide.

Tzed250
08-21-13, 20:30
I had my Israeli surplus 228 refinished by US Anodizing about a year or 2 ago; all steel parts reparked and coated and the aluminum frame was stripped, reanodized, and coated. Since then Ive put a couple k through it, hiked with it, ran with it, swam with it, rolled in gravel with it, and shopped at walmart with it. Either a testament to holster selection or the finish itself, I have not experienced any peeling, flaking, or undue abrasion to the finish other than common wear spots from leather holsters and handling. Apologies for the dirty camera lens...

What coating was applied to the 228?

Turnkey11
08-22-13, 17:50
Its what they call Xtremcoat, I ordered the Navy package deal which gets all metal parts either reparked or reanodized, and coated with this afterwards.

http://www.usanodizing.com/xtreme.htm