PDA

View Full Version : School me on magazine "repair kits" to California

Bret
08-15-13, 07:27
I'm selling a couple of magazines on GunBroker and received a message from someone asking if I would sell the magazines as "repair kits". The person said that this is perfectly legal to do. Is it? Or is it a grey area? Does this mean simply disassembling the magazines? I don't mind helping out someone caught behind the lines, but I certainly don't want to get it any legal trouble.

Caduceus
08-15-13, 07:35
I'm selling a couple of magazines on GunBroker and received a message from someone asking if I would sell the magazines as "repair kits". The person said that this is perfectly legal to do. Is it? Or is it a grey area? Does this mean simply disassembling the magazines? I don't mind helping out someone caught behind the lines, but I certainly don't want to get it any legal trouble.

From what I understand, disassembling them is legal, but seems to be a grey zone. Probably depends on the state. I know in California, there was a crack down against dealers doing it.

Bottom line, if you're not comfortable doing it, you don't have any obligation to sell them.

C4IGrant
08-15-13, 08:10
Grey is correct. We have already seen one city in CA go after online dealers for doing this.

As a private citizen, I wouldn't worry about it, but we (as a business) avoid it.

C4

gesundheit
08-15-13, 09:43
While it is legal to ship mags as parts kits, it didn't stop city of San Francisco to go after three dealers in a civil lawsuit. One of these dealers is still shipping parts kits to California. So that may show the legality of it. I'd say do what you are comfortable with but know that the law is not against it.

Dos Cylindros
08-15-13, 09:49
CA DOJ issued a letter a while ago clearly stating that the practice is legal. You can go to calguns.net and check things out. If the buyer assembles it into a working magazine on his end he, not you is the one committing a crime. 44mag.com offers this service as an option for California residents on all magazines over 10 rounds. They have more information about the CA DOJ letter authorizing the practice.

MaceWindu
08-15-13, 10:44
CA DOJ issued a letter a while ago clearly stating that the practice is legal.

Yes, I keep a copy on my laptop. :D

It's 100% legal to ship magazine parts to CA.

Mace

MaceWindu
08-15-13, 10:46
...it didn't stop city of San Francisco to go after three dealers in a civil lawsuit.:rolleyes:

Yes, and it's going absolutely no where.

Mace

Zane1844
08-15-13, 11:03
You can ship him magazine parts all you want. He can have all the magazine parts he wants. If he assembles them, he is breaking the law.

fourXfour
08-15-13, 11:38
You can ship him magazine parts all you want. He can have all the magazine parts he wants. If he assembles them, he is breaking the law.

If the person is legitimately rebuilding old Preban hi caps, then it's ok. Also the person can rebuild with a limiter in place to make it 10 rounds.

PatrioticDisorder
08-15-13, 12:22
I've shipped DISSASEMBLED mags to CA, I researched it first. I had no problem selling to people there. It's a nice loophole in the law for those who live there, useful if they travel out of state or if shit hits the fan. I'm pretty sure this is not legal to do in NY, where I'd expect a well worn out standard capacity spring without any other components to get you 3-5 in the state pen.

tremor64
08-15-13, 18:57
I live in the PRofC:
http://www.calegalmags.com/AR15M16-223556_c_80.html

Mariley85
08-16-13, 00:48
long story short:

you can own the parts, just can't be assembled.

Seagunner
08-16-13, 03:46
You can assemble the repair parts into the magazine you owned in CA prior to 2000. You can't load a 30 rd magazine into an "evil" featured AR. You can shoot your pre 2000 owned 30 rounders in your non "evil" featured AR. You can also make a 10 round magazine out of the parts.

ennbeegunny15
08-17-13, 20:17
CA DOJ issued a letter a while ago clearly stating that the practice is legal. You can go to calguns.net and check things out. If the buyer assembles it into a working magazine on his end he, not you is the one committing a crime. 44mag.com offers this service as an option for California residents on all magazines over 10 rounds. They have more information about the CA DOJ letter authorizing the practice.

This is the truth^

Nick081974
08-17-13, 20:25
That is great info to know thank you. Always good to C.Y.O.A