PDA

View Full Version : To SBR SAM7K? Or 103K

w3453l
08-15-13, 15:32
I have a SAM7K, but now I'm wondering if it is worth pursuing an SBR conversion for it.

I've been going back and forth on whether I should hang on to it or sell it. I'd use the money to buy an SGL 21 instead.

With the SGL I was going to have the barrel cut down with a pinned flash hider, and put a folding stock on.

With the SAM7K I was hoping to one day have it SBR'd. As of now I don't see any stock options for them.

My situation sucks, because I have to make this decision before January. I'll rather be moving out of state in the coming 2-3 years, but I'd like to have either gun now. I don't want to count on being able to find either of these in 3 years. Supply is always too uncertain.

Money is not so much of a factor, but I can't afford to have both.

What I want to know is whether a milled krink would be really what they are hyped up to be? I want something that is light weight. I'm not a big guy, and I just don't like the thought of a real fighting rifle having unnecessary weight to it. I know a lot of people have the 103k conversions, how do you like them? Given the choice, would you go for a shorter rifle?

This would be for 50-100 meter range. Perhaps for some indoor situations, but for the most part urban setting. I haven't shot the SAM7K yet. In pistol form I know ak pistols are more of toys, and if I do decide to sell it I want to maintain resale value.

Thanks very much

SteyrAUG
08-15-13, 16:42
I'd sell it and just buy the Bulgarian Krink SBR in 7.62.

w3453l
08-15-13, 18:46
The SAM7K is the closest thing I can get to a Bulgarian krink here. "SLR" is banned by name here. While the SAM series and SGL series are ok, until January.

I'm not buying for the purpose of having a collector's piece either. I don't need a "correct" folding stock on either of these.

ETA: I misread your post, and saw SBR as SLR. At the moment I can't have an SBR here. I'm looking to see if it's worth having the SAM7K in the hopes of SBRing it later - when I move to a state that allows it in a few years. I'd like to have a base rifle now if I can. While I legally still can. Now I'm just unsure if the krink is truly better than a 103k set up off an SGL 21. I do have a full sized SAM7R.

armakraut
08-15-13, 23:14
Yugo krink would be a much cheaper option at this point.

w3453l
08-23-13, 18:16
I already own a SAM7K pistol, so not sure if there's a point in trading for a Yugo m92. I chose the Arsenal for the chrome barrel. The salt content in the air where I live is pretty high. I've had non chromed barrels rust before. I really wish the Yugo's came with chromed barrels. It's almost the perfect AK in my opinion.

plouffedaddy
08-23-13, 20:13
http://imageshack.us/a/img94/3323/qlad.png

My vote goes 103K; mine's been simply awesome.

w3453l
08-24-13, 12:23
Thanks for the vote ^

I'm wondering, is there much difference in the 103k front end vs a 104 style front sight gas block combo? Would it be worth the effort to try to get a 104 style front end rather than just have the standard front sight block moved back? I was thinking a Krebs 104 gas block sight combo if I could find one.

MountainRaven
08-24-13, 13:11
Where can you even find a 103K, these days?

w3453l
08-24-13, 20:39
Well I was going to have an SGL 21 chopped at the barrel with pinned flash hider

w3453l
08-26-13, 22:37
Looks like I'll be going with the 103k. I just bought a Krebs AK 103 brand new in box for $1300.

If anyone is interested in getting one in 5.45 or .308 let me know. They have two left. I think it's a good deal considering SGL's are getting close to $1300, or is it $1350

ETA I'd post a link, but not sure it's allowed. It's an auction btw