PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have issues with Carry-On Items Flying?

SPDGG
08-15-13, 20:31
Hello,

Anyone ever have any issues with TSA regarding carry-on items:
* No Gun Parts, Magazines, just the usual support gear, eyes/ears.

- Holster
- Mag Pouches
- Surefire Light
- Shot Timer
- Ear Pros

* Usually pack these in my check-in, but sometimes I fly with 1x Check-In & a Carry On. Check-In bag can get packed on several day trips.

ST911
08-15-13, 23:08
- Holster
- Mag Pouches
- Surefire Light
- Shot Timer
- Ear Pros

I haven't carried a shot timer through, but all of the other items have passed without issue. Including but not limited to assorted tools, medical instruments, BOK, and other similar items.

The shot timer would resemble a portable video game to the screeners and would like pass easily. I'll try it next time I fly.

Also, check out several existing discussions on passenger experiences flying with assorted items by searching "flying guns firearms checked carry-on flashlight" and like terms.

SPDGG
08-15-13, 23:20
Thank you for the feedback, good to know.
I'll search those key words on the forum as well.

glocktogo
08-15-13, 23:57
Thank you for the feedback, good to know.
I'll search those key words on the forum as well.

I always carry on my shooting glasses, MSA Sordins and CED 7000 timer. I'm not going to rely on checked baggage to get them there in fully functional condition. I always check my holster and mag pouches and have never had a problem.

Averageman
08-16-13, 06:47
The only issue I have ever had was with a flashlight of all things. I was told it could be used as a weapon.
I talked my way through it and boarded with it.
When I fly with my gear it usually is in checked luggage, so I have no experiance with the rest of it. I would imagine it is a non-issue for the most part.

Ghost 954RR
08-16-13, 11:20
I always fly with two different holsters and a mag carrier, a handheld light, a headlamp, spare batteries and a leatherman tool without knives. I've had to forfeit a knife before (I'm occasionally forgetful) and I got questioned once because I had an AR500 back plate in the laptop sleeve of my backpack (forgetful again.) The only problem you can run into is if they run out of carry-on room and have to check your bag at the gate, you'll need to remove any spare (uninstalled) lithium batteries you might have. They don't really have a way to check, so it's up to you to remove them, and it's important to do so.

Just to clarify, the people who watch the x-ray scanners don't mistake anything for anything else. When it comes to electronic devices they have seen it all many times and if they see something unfamiliar, they will pull it out and look at it. They can tell you exactly what electronic device is in your bag without pulling it out. Devices with similar shapes have very distinct internals.

SeriousStudent
08-16-13, 22:28
The only issue I have ever had was with a flashlight of all things. I was told it could be used as a weapon.
I talked my way through it and boarded with it.
When I fly with my gear it usually is in checked luggage, so I have no experiance with the rest of it. I would imagine it is a non-issue for the most part.

I had that exact same issue with a Surefire E2E, not the "oh scary scary!" Defender model. And it was at D/FW, of all places.

The TSA dood smacked it in his palm like a miniature club, and asked what I used it for. I told him "It's a flashlight, I use it to see in the dark. What do you use a flashlight for?"

Fortunately, I was rescued by one of the sworn D/FW police officers. He just reached over, handed it to me and told me to have a safe flight. And he was stifling a grin while he did it. :p

Good guys, those D/FW airport cops. They are sworn as state-wide peace officers, and also trained as paramedics and firefighters. Good dudes to know.

LHS
08-18-13, 23:14
I had that exact same issue with a Surefire E2E, not the "oh scary scary!" Defender model. And it was at D/FW, of all places.

The TSA dood smacked it in his palm like a miniature club, and asked what I used it for. I told him "It's a flashlight, I use it to see in the dark. What do you use a flashlight for?"

Fortunately, I was rescued by one of the sworn D/FW police officers. He just reached over, handed it to me and told me to have a safe flight. And he was stifling a grin while he did it. :p

Good guys, those D/FW airport cops. They are sworn as state-wide peace officers, and also trained as paramedics and firefighters. Good dudes to know.

I had one of the TSA screeners blind herself with my G2 several years ago. She looked at me with annoyance and said, "What's this for?"

"To see in the dark."

That shut her up.

Other than that, the only thing I had issue with was my electronic muffs. I was on a turboprop going from SFO to Arcata, CA, and popped them on to kill the noise, and the stewardess thought they were headphones and insisted I take them off until we hit cruising altitude.

Straight Shooter
08-19-13, 08:02
Back in 2005, o the way to Houston Tx for the NRA Convention, I had a plastic Charlten Heston Silver Bullet {plastic} on my keyring. Yall
wouldn't believe the fuss over that. I met SEVERAL people later on who did have theirs taken. Lack of common sense seems to be a requirement to be a screener I guess. And NO.it AINT about "saaafety"
either.

Spurholder
08-19-13, 08:45
Concerning holsters, mag pouches, etc. Secord order effects...

I got popped for "explosive residue" at John Wayne Airport last month following my opting out of the body scanner and going through a pat-down.

The TSA guy went through my carry-on bag with a wand, and then took the gauze off the end of the wand and ran it through the scanner.

Guess I shouldn't have started laughing about my luck at throwing a freshly-fired G17 in the bag at some point. This was followed with a TSA-sponsored proctological exam.

From now on, not taking a carry-on bag of any type if it's just a day trip.

SeriousStudent
08-19-13, 21:31

I got popped for "explosive residue" at John Wayne Airport last month following my opting out of the body scanner and going through a pat-down.

The TSA guy went through my carry-on bag with a wand, and then took the gauze off the end of the wand and ran it through the scanner.

Guess I shouldn't have started laughing about my luck at throwing a freshly-fired G17 in the bag at some point. This was followed with a TSA-sponsored proctological exam.

I hear you, and have completely separate range gear. It never, ever gets taken on an aircraft.

Ironworker46
08-19-13, 21:52
I fly in and out of Edmonton airport a couple times a month. If you have an issue with an item at security, you can place it in a bag, fill out the paperwork and drop it in a bin for storage. The cost is $1 a day. I've forgotten my Spyderco knife a couple times, no big deal go place it in the storage bin.

Averageman
08-20-13, 15:28
I can't remember if it was Colorado or Washington I watched some poor TSA Guy open golf bags and swap the clubs, it went on for hours and there were growing stacks of bags waiting on him.
I couldn't believe he hadn't lost his mind after 8 hours of that, but the next time I'm flying through, there he is swabbing a different pile of golf clubs.
I have to think the TSA at some point will figure out how to operate, but if they havent figured out the fertilizer residue on golf clubs is gonna give you a false positive, there may be no hope for humanity.
BTW When I picked up my Rifle case I just pointed at it and they handed it to me, no looking at my bagage ticket, just a "Oh here you go Man." I could have been anybody who knew what a rifle case looked like.

Vandal
08-20-13, 22:29
I get some strange looks when they run my bag and see my SureFire 6PX and small med kit that I toss in my carry-on. I've been popped a few times for residue on my backpack since it does double duty as my range and gear bag. Nothing like watching TSA scramble to figure out what's in there then finding out it's nothing. Spokane PD and I have spent some time watching the festivities and commenting on it.

SeriousStudent
08-20-13, 22:38
I get some strange looks when they run my bag and see my SureFire 6PX and small med kit that I toss in my carry-on. I've been popped a few times for residue on my backpack since it does double duty as my range and gear bag. Nothing like watching TSA scramble to figure out what's in there then finding out it's nothing. Spokane PD and I have spent some time watching the festivities and commenting on it.

I don't try to set off the "alarms" for two reasons. And I'm not saying you are malicious, evil, or anything bad.

First, as much as I try to make direct flights, there are times that I'm trying to get on a connecting flight, or have specific time constraints at my destination. Missing a flight due to lengthy gate procedures can interfere with that.

Second, I just don't know how they get all those names on the no-fly and watch lists. I'd rather not make their mental Geiger counters tick any more rapidly than they already are.

I like being the invisible traveling business geek. A completely harmless old guy just wandering to his gate.

glocktogo
08-20-13, 23:12
I don't try to set off the "alarms" for two reasons. And I'm not saying you are malicious, evil, or anything bad.

First, as much as I try to make direct flights, there are times that I'm trying to get on a connecting flight, or have specific time constraints at my destination. Missing a flight due to lengthy gate procedures can interfere with that.

Second, I just don't know how they get all those names on the no-fly and watch lists. I'd rather not make their mental Geiger counters tick any more rapidly than they already are.

I like being the invisible traveling business geek. A completely harmless old guy just wandering to his gate.

I can personally assure you that just getting popped for a loaded firearm at a checkpoint won't even get you on the list, much less your gear or a false positive on an ETD machine. Now the aforementioned and the latest edition of Jihadist Monthly is another story. :D

SeriousStudent
08-20-13, 23:17
I can personally assure you that just getting popped for a loaded firearm at a checkpoint won't even get you on the list, much less your gear or a false positive on an ETD machine. Now the aforementioned and the latest edition of Jihadist Monthly is another story. :D

Sweet, that's good to know. I'm usually carrying some ridiculously technical computer tome to read, or surfing M4C on a tablet anyway.

I'm such an exciting fellow. ;)

ST911
08-21-13, 09:16
Using a training bag as a carry on can be...exciting.

Vandal
08-21-13, 10:49
I like being the invisible traveling business geek.

Normally that is my goal. I'm the guy in nice jeans, polo and running shoes. I don't intentionally try to stand out but for some reason in the last 10 times I have flown out of my local airport, I've had my carry-on pulled because of some BS 5 or 6 times and swabbed 2 or 3 times out of that. Any other airport I don't have those issues just the one at home. My reading material usually consists of the latest new info from Subaru or a car magazine and my tablet.

ETA: if it is shooting related, other than my light, I check it. Holsters, ear pro, etc. I think TSA just hates me.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-21-13, 12:50

TSA guys will say that the detectors test for gun powder, but they don't. Ask me how I know. A half an hour of my life I won't get back because my bag and belt tested positive. EOD guys eventually show up and laugh when I told them that the TSA guys said it probably gun powder that set off the alert. They just laughed- if the machines detected gun powder, no one would get thru- to many people have and handle guns..

The machine was only giving them a 'code' that the TSA didn't seem to know what meant exactly, but the EOD guys did. EOD guys laughed because I was testing positive for TNT. They looked at my bag and said the Bose head phone cases have a plasticizer in it. TSA guys didn't want to let me go.