PDA

View Full Version : magazine for durability

shadowspirit
08-16-13, 22:30
Hey all,

I'm not too familiar with the ARs but which magazine material is best for longevity, not necessarily reliability? I noticed aluminum, stainless steel, and polymer such as Magpul.

Which are good to keep loaded without the feed-lips becoming separated beyond repair?

Will a cap on the feed-lips of a loaded mag help a lot?

Thanks.

SeriousStudent
08-16-13, 23:24
I'd hit the orange search button on the upper right hand corner of the page. There's a lot of good threads on choosing mags, along with reviews of specific makers.

I'm not hollaring "Use the search button, noob!" but there's some great resources here with some digging. Magazines are a pretty commonly discussed topic.

Remember that they are a useable and ultimately disposable item, not a durable artifact like the Pyramids.

And welcome to M4C. The sticky threads are a terrific place to start, I learn a ton there myself.

lunchbox
08-16-13, 23:34
I'd hit the orange search button on the upper right hand corner of the page. There's a lot of good threads on choosing mags, along with reviews of specific makers.

I'm not hollaring "Use the search button, noob!" but there's some great resources here with some digging. Magazines are a pretty commonly discussed topic.

Remember that they are a useable and ultimately disposable item, not a durable artifact like the Pyramids.

And welcome to M4C. The sticky threads are a terrific place to start, I learn a ton there myself.Sums it up in truth and wisdom.

duece71
08-17-13, 06:05
PMAG, the YouTube test is legendary. I have a couple of the fusil USA all steel mags. Good mag albeit a little heavy. Go with Magpul.

WS6
08-17-13, 07:35
Filled a gen 3 pmag with m193. Froze it to 10-20*f. Dropped it twice from 5.5-6' onto the feed lips. Drop #2 it cracked down the side and vomited nearly half a dozen rounds in a spasmotic fashion..

throwback
08-17-13, 08:03
I'm not too familiar with the ARs but which magazine material is best for longevity, not necessarily reliability?

I think I must be misunderstanding you. Why in the world would you want to buy non-reliable mags? A magazine that doesn't function reliably is best used as a paperweight, regardless of if the body is still intact or not.

Nick081974
08-17-13, 08:30
I've found that I have virtually no feed issues with Magpul Pmags, whereas with GI mags there were quite a few. That's just my experience though. Good luck in whatever you choose!

MistWolf
08-17-13, 08:36
Here's a thread that might help-
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81074

jmk
08-17-13, 08:49
Filled a gen 3 pmag with m193. Froze it to 10-20*f. Dropped it twice from 5.5-6' onto the feed lips. Drop #2 it cracked down the side and vomited nearly half a dozen rounds in a spasmotic fashion..

what were the results when you repeated this test with USGI/Al, HK/Steel, Lancer/hybrid, etc.?

jmk
08-17-13, 09:49
Hey all,

I'm not too familiar with the ARs but which magazine material is best for longevity, not necessarily reliability? I noticed aluminum, stainless steel, and polymer such as Magpul.

Which are good to keep loaded without the feed-lips becoming separated beyond repair?

Thanks.

agree on using the search, but i'm willing to spend a few keystrokes...
there are many, many opinions/experiences on this topic (there must be days-worth of reading just on m4c).
most opinions based on personal experience rather than testing. some have more & more-relevant experience, so consider the source.

the pmag is uber-popular for a reason:
--great mag for low price.
--specifically & successfully designed to mitigate the most commonly encountered real-world failures.
--(it is the Glock of magazines)

usgi/aluminium:
--the originals.
--many folks swear by them despite the development of improved designs.
--have come a long way, esp w/modern followers
--remain well priced.

stainless:
--supposedly address some of the durability issues of Al around crush, crack, and deform. i'm not doubting, they just don't seem to be common enough to have confidence (and that may be the real truth to how worthwhile they are).

lancer awm's seem to be designed as an answer to pmag deficiencies. they have a good reputation, but are much less common than pmags, probably due to the fact that they are around 50% more expensive.

i think tango down arc's are also uncommon for the same reason.

if it came down to it, i'd take 2 pmags over one lancer/tango any day.

troy mags also have a good, but limited-success design with good price. i think they're simply overshadowed by magpul's rep and marketing.

i have samples of nearly all the different mag designs, mainly out of curiosity.

my primary choice - pmag - was based on the information filtered from M4C posts as well as those of a former SEAL and his partner SWAT/Contractor that run a local training company (basically, "buy pmags and worry about practice instead").
i do keep the dust covers on the pmags, though several people seem to have no problems with long-ish term storage of uncovered, loaded pmags.

i am also partial to the Lancers, and keep a few of those loaded and ready since their steel feed lips were designed to avoid spread and crack.

ultimately, if you are concerned with longevity, buy 8 - 12 mags. rotationally use the hell out of 4 - 6 of them, keep the other 4 - 6 new-in-the-wrapper in an ammo can with a dessicant in a relatively cool, dry place (fill the other half of the can with M193/M855 and some Mk318)

from a practical perspective, you'll hand most of it down to your children along with your rifle.

as a political hedge, you might want to add 2 - 3 of whatever strikes your fancy to your collection once or twice a year.

ucrt
08-17-13, 09:52

=================================

MistWolf, I corrected your post, hope you don't mind. :)

Here's a thread that will help-

But maybe it's just me...

Krull
08-17-13, 10:12
I know this may not be a popular opinion but I rather like the Tapco mags,I haven't beat the hell out of mine yet but from what I see they seem to be a fair quality item probably not Pmag level but decent enough for regular use.

I'm going to get some lancers and just store them but get a box of the Tapcos for daily use.

I think polymer mags are the next step up from aluminum,as I've said before poly flexes or just cracks,aluminum being a metal can bend and make life complicated.

BTW I'm no parts snob so I only make a point to avoid real junk and in mags that name is ProMag never seen one that doesn't look like :jester:

lunchbox
08-17-13, 11:20
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81074This!!

ucrt
08-17-13, 11:51
I know this may not be a popular opinion but I rather like the Tapco mags,I haven't beat the hell out of mine yet but from what I see they seem to be a fair quality item probably not Pmag level but decent enough for regular use.

I'm going to get some lancers and just store them but get a box of the Tapcos for daily use.

I think polymer mags are the next step up from aluminum,as I've said before poly flexes or just cracks,aluminum being a metal can bend and make life complicated.

BTW I'm no parts snob so I only make a point to avoid real junk and in mags that name is ProMag never seen one that doesn't look like :jester:

===============================

Hey bub.

"Fair quality" and "not real junk" are not descriptions that go well on this Site.

Like another thread you started recommending an UltraDot? Does an UltraDot rate as "junk" but not "real junk" or is it "kind of junky".
I'm so confused.

Sounds like you're content with stuff that is "kind of almost just as good as..." or just "looks like good stuff"?

Interesting....

OP, follow post #8.

But maybe it's just me...

lunchbox
08-17-13, 12:04
===============================

Hey bub.

"Fair quality" and "not real junk" are not descriptions that go well on this Site.

Like another thread you started recommending an UltraDot? Does an UltraDot rate as "junk" but not "real junk" or is it "kind of junky".
I'm so confused.

Sounds like you're content with stuff that is "kind of almost just as good as..." or just "looks like good stuff"?

.He's allowed to lake a recommendation as long as he attaches a warning to it, like cigarette co's. EXAMPLE: Using ultra-dot will give you cancer!

Slater
08-17-13, 12:13
"lancer awm's seem to be designed as an answer to pmag deficiencies. they have a good reputation, but are much less common than pmags, probably due to the fact that they are around 50% more expensive."

The Lancers I've seen on various Internet sites seem to be on average around $1.50-2.00 more expensive than P-Mags.

VIP3R 237
08-17-13, 12:43
"lancer awm's seem to be designed as an answer to pmag deficiencies. they have a good reputation, but are much less common than pmags, probably due to the fact that they are around 50% more expensive."

The Lancers I've seen on various Internet sites seem to be on average around $1.50-2.00 more expensive than P-Mags.

I noticed that and wondered. Pmags, awms, and troys have worked for me with no preference one way or another.

Krull
08-17-13, 13:32
He's allowed to lake a recommendation as long as he attaches a warning to it, like cigarette co's. EXAMPLE: Using ultra-dot will give you cancer!

LOL! yea,I just think it's good to get the best and have it but if you can find a fair quality item that has a good price then hey-get it and use the hell out of it and if it breaks,meh,toss it.

Save the real good stuff for if some law/situation makes them hard or impossible to find.

I'm thinking ten Pmags and ten Lancers to put up and just keeping buying Tapcos for general use and abuse.

Now if I was buying and saying Pro-Mags and Lepers was "da good stuff! teh spicul orps guys use'em!" then yea,I'd be a retard.

I think the cheapest,nasties mag I ever had was a ten round Orlite? thing was bigger then it needed to be and seemed to be made from army man plastic.

BTW you mention Tango Down....that has to be the most awkward looking mag I ever seen but,overall,what's the rep on them? they worth a crap?

lunchbox
08-17-13, 13:48
LOL! yea,I just think it's good to get the best and have it but if you can find a fair quality item that has a good price then hey-get it and use the hell out of it and if it breaks,meh,toss it.Agreed, been there and done that. I've been surprised over the years by a couple of items. But I used the piss (I mean dragged thru da'Bama mud)out of them before was willing to really trust them. And even then still threw in the "the cheap" warning before recommending to anyone.

Blankwaffe
08-17-13, 13:49
I prefer the USGI aluminum mags for four primary reasons.

1.They universally fit just about every mag pouch made for the platform.
2.Readily available and replacement parts (springs,floor plates and followers) can be found just about anywhere in a pinch.
3.I have many of the mags and their related components on hand after 20 plus years,so its something I can work with if parts etc. are needed.
4.Mag bodies are not affected by heat or chemicals.

I buy them in 10 packs from BCM,Brownells(I like the 20 round straight body) and DSG Arms.

For a polymer mag I like the Troy or Lancer simply due to the designs and profile of the mags.

Krull
08-17-13, 14:50
Agreed, been there and done that. I've been surprised over the years by a couple of items. But I used the piss (I mean dragged thru da'Bama mud)out of them before was willing to really trust them. And even then still threw in the "the cheap" warning before recommending to anyone.

Certainly,and if anybody has actually picked up a Tapco AR mag I think you can agree it's not junk,cheap yes but not infected dog doo-doo like a pro-mag.

I've only had my 6920 a month or so but the mags have gone through about two hundred rounds without choking,busting,or flying apart so I'd feel comfortable using them as a general use mag with some high end mags saved up for "real go time" while I beat tar out of the Tapco's.

And we'll see how they take being loaded all the damn time as I keep three-four mags full and ready 24/7/365.

RogerinTPA
08-17-13, 15:14
I wish that new members would get an initial statement concerning M4C and the AR platform, when their account is under review:

"Your question, while you might think so, is not unique. As it stands, it will not be an 'original thought', despite your lack of knowledge on the question. There is an ultra high probability that it has been ask, answered, discussed and argued to death. It will also prevent other members from becoming irate and jumping your shit. You will learn more by conducting your own research by using the orange search button, reading all 'tacked' threads posted at the top of each individual forum about a particular subject, then drawing your own conclusions about a given subject pertaining to your question. Judicious use of the orange search button at the top right corner of any thread page is highly desired PRIOR to posting a thread on any subject pertaining to the AR Family of Weapons. By checking this box,[] I have read this statement twice and will comply with it as a future potential member."

_Stormin_
08-17-13, 17:28
the mags have gone through about two hundred rounds

Um... Many people here run that in a matter of hours at the range.

Given the fact that the difference in price is about $2 a magazine, I can't see the point in buying anything but the PMAGs over the Tapcos.

Iraqgunz
08-17-13, 18:09
Keeping magazines loaded doesn't do anything to springs. Use the search button.

Certainly,and if anybody has actually picked up a Tapco AR mag I think you can agree it's not junk,cheap yes but not infected dog doo-doo like a pro-mag.

I've only had my 6920 a month or so but the mags have gone through about two hundred rounds without choking,busting,or flying apart so I'd feel comfortable using them as a general use mag with some high end mags saved up for "real go time" while I beat tar out of the Tapco's.

And we'll see how they take being loaded all the damn time as I keep three-four mags full and ready 24/7/365.

krisjon
08-17-13, 18:39

Enjoy your Tapcos, but you're not going to convince anyone on here of their quality/durability - especially after 200 rounds. Tapco really only makes one performance-proven/quality thing in their entire lineup of products - the G2 trigger for AKs. Beyond that, there's a reason why they're known as "Crapco."

Agnostic
08-17-13, 18:57
I have mostly pmags and a variety of metal magazines. While all of my magazines have run flawlessly, there are some I like better than the others. Going forward, assuming no new products, I will buy pmags, USGI magazines, and lancer magazines, being open to try others that are recommended by trustworthy sources. Right now I am focusing my magazine purchases on USGI 20 and 30 rounders.

The only mags I have that I don't like are two steel 30 round C-Products mags, the follower gets hung up and sticks to the sides of the magazine, and they just don't seem as solid as my other magazines.

I really, really like the USGI 20 round mags and use them as my HD magazines, loaded with 55gr TSX.

jasonhgross
08-17-13, 19:01
USGI - Proven! Why worry yourself since they are a known factor. Stick with these.

Code3Patriot
08-17-13, 19:23
Enjoy your Tapcos, but you're not going to convince anyone on here of their quality/durability - especially after 200 rounds. Tapco really only makes one performance-proven/quality thing in their entire lineup of products - the G2 trigger for AKs. Beyond that, there's a reason why they're known as "Crapco."

He convinced me, I just traded my 200 PMags for 400 Tapcos. :D

Zirk208
08-17-13, 20:36
LOL! yea,I just think it's good to get the best and have it but if you can find a fair quality item that has a good price then hey-get it and use the hell out of it and if it breaks,meh,toss it.

Save the real good stuff for if some law/situation makes them hard or impossible to find.

I'm thinking ten Pmags and ten Lancers to put up and just keeping buying Tapcos for general use and abuse.

Now if I was buying and saying Pro-Mags and Lepers was "da good stuff! teh spicul orps guys use'em!" then yea,I'd be a retard.

I think the cheapest,nasties mag I ever had was a ten round Orlite? thing was bigger then it needed to be and seemed to be made from army man plastic.

BTW you mention Tango Down....that has to be the most awkward looking mag I ever seen but,overall,what's the rep on them? they worth a crap?

P-Mags cost $12.25 from DGS or 3 for $30. Are you really saving enough with tapcos for it to matter?

Hawaiianbro10
08-17-13, 20:53
I have only used 4 types of mags which consist of the Aluminum mag that came with my RRA, Pmags, C product, Surefire.

Now I only have 3 Aluminum mags which have worked perfect with no failures. Fired about 600 rounds out of them.

I have about 15 Pmags which I keep 6 fully loaded and others stored for future use. 6 that stay loaded I have fired about 8XX rounds all together out of them with no Issues. Wear and tear I have not notices anything since I have not shot them for awhile and they have been stored fully loaded for about 4 months since last use. I love Pmags since it only costs me 10-12 bucks a mag from a local tac shop. Plus there light and easy to replace due to finding them everywhere now.

C Products I got them when they where Cheap. I have about 10 mags of them. I have shot them with no issues as well they came with the upgraded magpul follower. I have only shot about 600 rounds out of them.

Surefire 60 rounder only 1 I have only shot 120 rounds out of it with now major issues.

Due to the new sale at the Shop I go to on and off I will keep buying Pmags due to the deals. 5 for $50 is a great deal(Shop Member Deal) or $12 per mag(Non Member).

In the end USGI mags have been around and have been proven. I would go with what your AR likes, and what it doesn't like just keep clear of it.

lunchbox
08-17-13, 22:14
I wish that new members would get an initial statement concerning M4C and the AR platform, when their account is under review:

"Your question, while you might think so, is not unique. As it stands, it will not be an 'original thought', despite your lack of knowledge on the question. There is an ultra high probability that it has been ask, answered, discussed and argued to death. It will also prevent other members from becoming irate and jumping your shit. You will learn more by conducting your own research by using the orange search button, reading all 'tacked' threads posted at the top of each individual forum about a particular subject, then drawing your own conclusions about a given subject pertaining to your question. Judicious use of the orange search button at the top right corner of any thread page is highly desired PRIOR to posting a thread on any subject pertaining to the AR Family of Weapons. By checking this box,[] I have read this statement twice and will comply with it as a future potential member."We need to set up an orientation period, make them watch videos on do's/don'ts and test them b4 approving membership or hell this IQ test would work:D
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=103237&highlight=IQ+test Please just don't ask current members to test.. Dog ate my homework. Antie Sue died. Car wouln'd start...

Warp
08-17-13, 22:52
Hey all,

Thanks.

I'm going to guess the steel HK mags followed by Lancer L5 AWM (black/opaque) are probably your best best for durability.

For longevity (not use/abuse, just hanging around) USGI mags have proven they store fine for decades.

Tapco mags? Really? I just bought Gen3 30 round PMAGs from DSG, 3 for $30. Recently you could get a 10 pack of D&H teflon coated 30 round mags with magpul followers for $87 shipped from PSA, and I'll bet they either still have that deal or will again soon. I see no reason whatsoever to spend a dime on Tapco mags.

WS6
08-17-13, 23:32
what were the results when you repeated this test with USGI/Al, HK/Steel, Lancer/hybrid, etc.?

Hk polymer was unaffected by drop four minus scuffs. Lancer AWM got a bent feed lip that may or may not have caused feed issues, plus a very small crack in the polymer in the front, and a slight bowing of the steel "clip" that makes up the feed lips.

jmk
08-18-13, 08:03
Hk polymer was unaffected by drop four minus scuffs. Lancer AWM got a bent feed lip that may or may not have caused feed issues, plus a very small crack in the polymer in the front, and a slight bowing of the steel "clip" that makes up the feed lips.

better - thank you!
its far more convincing and relevant if you include the fact that you also went to the trouble (and expense) of testing other mags similarly.

interesting that you were able to test the HK polymer as well - any other observations there? not a lot of info out yet...

would be good to know now about insertion & drop of all tested, plus the most important test of whether any of them will still run a carbine reliably.

so, in your test, so far, PMag failed, lancer bent, HK passed?

SilverBullet432
08-18-13, 09:44
Going shooting today, taking a pmag and a lancer mag lets see how the lancer does

Big A
08-18-13, 11:03

Just curious about your motivation for this. Do you live where these conditions are something you have to deal with?

I also would be interested in how an empty mag, 1/2 full mag and full mag faired if dropped on its floor plate straight out of the lower receiver.

Also, has anyone loaded some of the popular brand mags and left them in the trunk of a car parked outside in the south for a full year to see how they did? Just curious.

VIP3R 237
08-18-13, 12:00
Also, has anyone loaded some of the popular brand mags and left them in the trunk of a car parked outside in the south for a full year to see how they did? Just curious.

I have some loaded gen 3s the have been in my truck since march. Its been over 100º almost every day since late may, with almost a month being over 110º, which inside a vehicle temps can raise much higher. I pull them out every nowand then and check for any signs of damage, but I haven't ran them yet.

Krull
08-18-13, 12:46
P-Mags cost $12.25 from DGS or 3 for $30. Are you really saving enough with tapcos for it to matter?

Locally everything (which is honest to gawd junk) goes from $19.99 up to about twenty seven bucks,a Tapco will go $14.99
online at Midway they're $11.99 as compared to a Pmag at $12.30 or so.

They're my "don't give a damn" mag I plan to use the piss out of them and not worry;when I have five I'll choose between five Pmags or Lancers then go an get five more Tapcos after.

Like I said not top of the line but not junk ether,dismiss them all you want as that leaves more for me ;)

Overall as to the topic a synthetic mag is a better choice overall then aluminum or steel/stainless the one thing the aluminum has going for it is the fact that there are literally a boat load out there,the downside is how good they if they're used.

Heavy Metal
08-18-13, 12:54
Locally everything (which is honest to gawd junk) goes from $19.99 up to about twenty seven bucks,a Tapco will go $14.99

They're my "don't give a damn" mag I plan to use the piss out of them and not worry;when I have five I'll choose between five Pmags or Lancers then go an get five more Tapcos after.

Like I said not top of the line but not junk ether,dismiss them all you want as that leaves more for me ;)

Overall as to the topic a synthetic mag is a better choice overall then aluminum or steel/stainless the one thing the aluminum has going for it is the fact that there are literally a boat load out there,the downside is how good they if they're used.

What part of you can get the PMAG Gen 3's for $10 each if you order them three at a time in a bundle deal at DSG Arms are you not comprehending?

Warp
08-18-13, 18:41

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/KTMAG557-3.aspx

Iraqgunz
08-18-13, 18:45
Why would you load magazines and then leave them unattended in trunks of vehicles subjected to the changing of weather and elements? Police agencies are now learning this lesson and often time the smart ones are pulling the ammo out.

Just curious about your motivation for this. Do you live where these conditions are something you have to deal with?

I also would be interested in how an empty mag, 1/2 full mag and full mag faired if dropped on its floor plate straight out of the lower receiver.

VIP3R 237
08-18-13, 19:06
Why would you load magazines and then leave them unattended in trunks of vehicles subjected to the changing of weather and elements? Police agencies are now learning this lesson and often time the smart ones are pulling the ammo out.

I don't know about others but I'm doing strictly for curiosities sake.

SilverBullet432
08-18-13, 19:32
shot 200 rounds today, 100 through new gen m2 pmag and 100 through opaque black lancer. shot first 100 through the pmag. smooth as butter. the lancer had a loading issue at first, it seemed like the round would hit the feed lip and i had to rack it again to load. after the first 30, the lancer had no further issues. i guess it needed a break-in :D they are awesome mags imo. going to order some translucent ones soon.

glock30_27
08-18-13, 21:37
What part of you can get the PMAG Gen 3's for $10 each if you order them three at a time in a bundle deal at DSG Arms are you not comprehending?

Why even give a guy like this the time of day he is only mad he bought tapcos during the panic and now pmags are half the price he paid for the crapcos.....but serious I see how the older members hate when people defend the shitty purchases and beat a dead horse trying to tell everyone how great they are,dude you cant prove anything in 200 rounds sorry.

Big A
08-18-13, 21:45

I personally wouldn't. I have a few friends that aren't quite switched on yet that I keep trying to convince though.

It's my understanding that the powder in the cases breaks down over time with all the heating and cooling off the vehicle goes through and becomes useless. Is this correct or have I been misinformed?

Big A
08-18-13, 21:47
I have some loaded gen 3s the have been in my truck since march. Its been over 100º almost every day since late may, with almost a month being over 110º, which inside a vehicle temps can raise much higher. I pull them out every nowand then and check for any signs of damage, but I haven't ran them yet.

Cool. I'd like to hear how this pans out when you do use them...:cool:

Warp
08-18-13, 21:52
I personally wouldn't. I have a few friends that aren't quite switched on yet that I keep trying to convince though.

It's my understanding that the powder in the cases breaks down over time with all the heating and cooling off the vehicle goes through and becomes useless. Is this correct or have I been misinformed?

I doubt that. Ammo is ****ing tough. Don't let it get wet, and stay that way, and it seems to be able to handle just about anything. Temperature swings like you'd get in a person's vehicle shouldn't be a problem even if you leave it in there for years.

Personally I keep a spare G17 magazine in the glovebox of each vehicle (EDC is almost always a G26 or G19 for me and my wife's car gun is also one of those) and have done so for years and years. Every now and then, which has been as long as a few years, I take it out, fire the ammo, inspect, reload and replace...never noticed anything different or had any issues.

26 Inf
08-18-13, 22:45

"Your question, while you might think so, is not unique. As it stands, it will not be an 'original thought', despite your lack of knowledge on the question. There is an ultra high probability that it has been ask, answered, discussed and argued to death. It will also prevent other members from becoming irate and jumping your shit. You will learn more by conducting your own research by using the orange search button, reading all 'tacked' threads posted at the top of each individual forum about a particular subject, then drawing your own conclusions about a given subject pertaining to your question. Judicious use of the orange search button at the top right corner of any thread page is highly desired PRIOR to posting a thread on any subject pertaining to the AR Family of Weapons. By checking this box,[] I have read this statement twice and will comply with it as a future potential member."

So at some point isn't there anything new that maybe members have found that isn't in an archived thread?

If there isn't, then whats the point of allowing any posting - everything's been said so all anyone needs is the orange search button.

At one time you were a FNG at something, how'd you like it when someone went all elitist on you when you asked a question?

BTW for the OP - I prefer USGI mags, primarily because, as someone already posted, they fit everything. For training I use Tango Downs - I bought a boat load of them when Brownell's was essentially giving them away. I don't get too upset if I leave one laying someplace.

So my advice - get some current USGI's for duty/HD and then check websites occasionally to see when mags go on special (probably be a while) and then buy all you want. If you get them cheap enough and they don't work in training/recreational shooting toss them - if you go to a class take your good mags.

WS6
08-19-13, 03:29
When Lancers and Pmags are $10/ea, why bother with tapco?

shadowspirit
09-02-13, 18:19

And welcome to M4C.[QUOTE]

Thanks.

[QUOTE=throwback;1723279]I think I must be misunderstanding you. Why in the world would you want to buy non-reliable mags? A magazine that doesn't function reliably is best used as a paperweight, regardless of if the body is still intact or not.

Not interested in non-reliable ones, I was just wondering about longevity. Part of my motivation in asking was that we may not be able to replace what we have now in the future.

shadowspirit
09-02-13, 18:37
agree on using the search, but i'm willing to spend a few keystrokes...

the pmag is uber-popular for a reason:
--great mag for low price.
--specifically & successfully designed to mitigate the most commonly encountered real-world failures.
--(it is the Glock of magazines)

usgi/aluminium:
--the originals.
--many folks swear by them despite the development of improved designs.
--have come a long way, esp w/modern followers
--remain well priced.

stainless:
--supposedly address some of the durability issues of Al around crush, crack, and deform. i'm not doubting, they just don't seem to be common enough to have confidence (and that may be the real truth to how worthwhile they are).

This is what I was initially looking for. Thanks!

[/QUOTE=Agnostic;1723637]Right now I am focusing my magazine purchases on USGI 20 and 30 rounders.

I really, really like the USGI 20 round mags and use them as my HD magazines, loaded with 55gr TSX.[/QUOTE]

I need to look into how much more reliable 20 round ones are compared to 30 rounders. Thanks.

shadowspirit
09-02-13, 18:45
At one time you were a FNG at something, how'd you like it when someone went all elitist on you when you asked a question?

BTW for the OP - I prefer USGI mags, primarily because, as someone already posted, they fit everything.

IIRC, "FNG" comes from the Marines.

USGI fitting everything is good to know. Thanks.

26 Inf
09-02-13, 19:25
IIRC, "FNG" comes from the Marines.

USGI fitting everything is good to know. Thanks.

Well, I may have heard it there, I were/are one - a Marine that is, in fact a Marine Sergeant a long long time ago.

RogerinTPA
09-02-13, 19:51
The intent is to use the search feature first, before starting a thread that has a high probability of being discussed before. We value self research over hearsay or bad advice from who ever they got it from. First hand knowledge is best for everyone's benefit. If someone has something new to offer, great, but check and see if that new nugget of info they recently found, doesn't already have a thread about that very same subject. We used to get a Lube, or a 'Hey I just got a new (Insert commercial grade gun), what do ya'll think?' or a steel case ammo thread on a weekly or several times a month basis from new members. It's all been done to death. For the most part, I've only seen senior members direct new members to use the orange search button because, wait for it...the subject has been discussed before, to death, and not to convey an elitist attitude. The normal chain events goes something like this: Hey guys what do you think about XYZ carbine, the weapon gets slammed, they defend it to death, members hammer new guy, moderators hands out infractions, counsels or bans new guy, new guy's feelings get hurt, and is never heard from again. He then runs back to whatever forum he came from, reports M4C shot down their advice as to why a DPMS, Stag, Oly, etc... is superior to military grade guns, and we were being mean to him. Then they are consoled and sung high praise for purchasing said substandard weapon, and that we are a bunch of low quality carbine hating A-holes, then that thread morphs into a M4C bashing thread. So yeah, we're kinda tired of it.

So at some point isn't there anything new that maybe members have found that isn't in an archived thread?

If there isn't, then whats the point of allowing any posting - everything's been said so all anyone needs is the orange search button.

BTW for the OP - I prefer USGI mags, primarily because, as someone already posted, they fit everything. For training I use Tango Downs - I bought a boat load of them when Brownell's was essentially giving them away. I don't get too upset if I leave one laying someplace.

So my advice - get some current USGI's for duty/HD and then check websites occasionally to see when mags go on special (probably be a while) and then buy all you want. If you get them cheap enough and they don't work in training/recreational shooting toss them - if you go to a class take your good mags.

T2C
09-02-13, 20:43

This is a valid issue and is why I would make officers use their issued ammunition for qualifications BEFORE I would issue new ammunition.

DBR
09-02-13, 21:48
IMNSHO probably the best mags available are the NHMTG 20 rd mags (Colt). These are the mags ARs were designed to use. They are made from one piece of folded aluminum alloy with a steel insert to guide the bullet nose.

The AR was never intended to be a 30rd rifle so every mag that tries to accomplish that is a compromise (curved to straight feed path).

I only use 20rd mags in my rifles. I like 20rd NHMTG (Colt), Pmag M3 20 rd mags (same spring as a 30rd mag - almost like an AK mag) and Lancer 20RD AWM mags in that order.

bzdog
09-02-13, 22:33
Part of my motivation in asking was that we may not be able to replace what we have now in the future.

IMO, the cure is to purchase enough good quality mags to cover failures due to wear.

-john

shadowspirit
09-05-13, 23:02
The AR was never intended to be a 30rd rifle so every mag that tries to accomplish that is a compromise (curved to straight feed path).

I only use 20rd mags in my rifles.

I know the 20rd ones were the first to be used, but didn't know they didn't consider 30 and 40 round ones when they invented the platform. Maybe it has something to do with discouraging full-auto fire.

A relative who was in 'nam mentioned they typically put 17 or 18 rounds in a 20rd mag.

I bought a few Master Molder 20rd ones for cheap a while back. They definitely don't have an anti-tilt follower. I only put 5 rounds in at a time so far. No problems.

DBR
09-05-13, 23:29
The follower has to tilt in a straight body 20rd mag to accommodate the taper of the cartridge.

Caduceus
09-06-13, 07:43

FWIW, I use a few Tapco's as range mags. They were like $8/ea and in stock at the time vs some other places.

Sure, they're bulky and made by Tapco. But they've also been relatively reliable, in their limited role. And, being range mags, they probably have the most actual use holding and dispensing bullets.

I doubt they fit in any magazine pouches (base is really wide), or stand up to a MRAP running over it, and cool guys with beards don't use them ... but they allow me to keep my Lancers and USGI's NIW until I need them.

T2C
09-06-13, 08:45
I have seen a lot of Brownell's Magazines in use on the range. They ran fine unless someone stomped on one or the magazine landed on the concrete and bent the feed lips. For stateside use, they should work fine.

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-m16-20-30-round-magazines-prod21225.aspx

Ryno12
09-06-13, 08:58
I have seen a lot of Brownell's Magazines in use on the range. They ran fine unless someone stomped on one or the magazine landed on the concrete and bent the feed lips. For stateside use, they should work fine.

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-m16-20-30-round-magazines-prod21225.aspx

I use Brownell mags also although it should be noted that myself & others have had issues with the Magpul followers sticking in the more recent (post SH) batches of Brownell mags. This was at least as of a few months ago.

Sent via Tapatalk

T2C
09-06-13, 09:02
I use Brownell mags also although it should be noted that myself & others have had issues with the Magpul followers sticking in the more recent (post SH) batches of Brownell mags. This was at least as of a few months ago.

Sent via Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up. I am going to notify the ordnance people at our primary training facility.

Ryno12
09-06-13, 09:11
Thanks for the heads up. I am going to notify the ordnance people at our primary training facility.

Sure, no problem. There's a thread around here somewhere addressing it. They we're getting stuck about an inch from the feed lips. I was able free mine just by working it back & forth but I also only use those particular mags at the range. I think others were shaving down part of the follower to free it up. I'm not actually aware if Brownells has been notified of the issue, maybe it's already been corrected. Just so people are aware of it possibly happening in case they swap out the followers.

Sent via Tapatalk

Warp
09-06-13, 10:36
FWIW, I use a few Tapco's as range mags. They were like $8/ea and in stock at the time vs some other places.

Sure, they're bulky and made by Tapco. But they've also been relatively reliable, in their limited role. And, being range mags, they probably have the most actual use holding and dispensing bullets.

I doubt they fit in any magazine pouches (base is really wide), or stand up to a MRAP running over it, and cool guys with beards don't use them ... but they allow me to keep my Lancers and USGI's NIW until I need them.

Personal preference here: I wouldn't keep my go-to mags new in the wrapper until I needed them. Mags are one of those things you should be trying out, individually, before trusting them

PS: We've been able to get USGI mags, with magpul followers, brand new for $8-$9 each, shipped, recently...and PMAGs fro $10 each + shipping ;)

shadowspirit
09-06-13, 12:37
We've been able to get USGI mags, with magpul followers, brand new for $8-$9 each, shipped, recently...and PMAGs fro $10 each + shipping ;)

Where, if not too personal?

Caduceus
09-06-13, 14:06
Personal preference here: I wouldn't keep my go-to mags new in the wrapper until I needed them. Mags are one of those things you should be trying out, individually, before trusting them

PS: We've been able to get USGI mags, with magpul followers, brand new for $8-$9 each, shipped, recently...and PMAGs fro $10 each + shipping ;)

I hear you. I have about 15 other mags that get used for a few cycles, then stashed. I just have a few go-to mags until I wear thm out. These havent yet.

Bought them two years ago. Plenty of Brownell, lancer, pmag and PSA brand mags as well since then.

Warp
09-06-13, 15:03
Where, if not too personal?

I used we in the general sense.

Palmetto State Armory has had 10 packs of D&H mags with Magpul followers for $87 shipped for awhile recently, and DSG Arms has had 3 packs of Gen3 30 round PMAGs for $30 plus shipping.

I don't think either of those specific deals are available at this minute.

The point is high quality AR mags have been very available for awhile now, there's very little need to use sub-par mags while leaving the good ones sitting around in plastic.

Follow this thread as one way to keep an eye on mag availability:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100661

You may also want to put your email in here to be notified if/when DSG has these back in stock

shadowspirit
09-06-13, 19:34
@warp: Thanks.