PDA

View Full Version : Glock factory sights

Slater
08-17-13, 11:59
Quite a few folks replace the sights on their Glocks with aftermarket sights. Guess I never gave it much thought before, but are the standard Glock sights considered too fragile, produce a poor sight picture, or some other factor?

polymorpheous
08-17-13, 12:13
They are plastic, and not just that, but they are soft.
Really soft.
A front sight on one of my Glocks got chewed up simply from one of my holsters.
Needless to say, they have been swapped out.

JW5219
08-17-13, 12:37
Quite a few folks replace the sights on their Glocks with aftermarket sights. Guess I never gave it much thought before, but are the standard Glock sights considered too fragile, produce a poor sight picture, or some other factor?

First thing I did was replace mine. They are not only plastic, but cheesy plastic at that, and they offer a very poor sight picture IMO.
Went with a 10-8 rear and an Ameriglo Hackathorn front and couldn't be happier. Huge improvement! I don't know why Glock can't put a little more effort into their factory sight, but hey, what do I know---

snakedoctor
08-17-13, 13:01
The factory plastic Glock sights are considered the weakest part of the weapon and are usually the first to be changed.

Voodoo_Man
08-17-13, 13:09
I have broken several sets of oem glock sights. One rear set seperated from the metal.

Always get a decent set of sights.

CobraBG
08-17-13, 13:27
I replaced my factory sights because of the sight picture. Though they are plastic I have not had any trouble with them, just wanted something better.

I went with the Ameriglo Pro-I-Dot on my new Gen4 G17 and am very pleased.:cool:

I have 2 other Glocks that still have the factory sights and plan to replace them as well.

matemike
08-17-13, 13:41
The saying is: " they are only there temporarily to protect the fitting surfaces for new sights"

change em out!

SpeedRacer
08-17-13, 13:45
The saying is: " they are only there temporarily to protect the fitting surfaces for new sights"

change em out!

Correct. I always refer to them as "dovetail protectors". :D

As said they are fragile and the sight picture is usable but less than ideal. One quick way to remove the rear sight is try racking your slide off of it as you would in a one handed malfunction clearance. Usually gets rid of it real quick.

Double3
08-17-13, 14:10
Something I've been meaning to do is replace the sights on my Glocks.

Thanks for bringing it up. Now I have to spend more money.

bluejackets92fs
08-17-13, 14:14
I replace them because I use them for CCW. Night sights are very valuable.

Frailer
08-17-13, 14:15
I actually like the sight picture with the factory sights, as it is (for me) very easy to acquire quickly, even in relatively low light.

Once Glock started screwing on the front sight it's tendency to break off went away, but the problem of it showing wear on the edges did not. To be fair, I never wore one down to the point where it affected my accuracy, but it does irritate me.

The Glocks I carry now wear Hackathorns, but for my spares/fun guns I simply replaced the plastic front with the OEM steel version and leave the plastic rear in place. I'm sure it's *possible* to break off the plastic rear if you try hard enough, but it hasn't happened yet.

Slater
08-17-13, 14:51
Along those same lines, how are the Glock factory night sights for overall functionality/durability?

uncreative1
08-17-13, 16:36
I had the factory front sight bent to the left out of the box. As others have said drawing from a holster has messed up another set. I replace them asap.

CLHC
08-17-13, 17:16
I actually like the sight picture with the factory sights, as it is (for me) very easy to acquire quickly, even in relatively low light.

Along those same lines, how are the Glock factory night sights for overall functionality/durability?
The Glock Factory Night Sights that came with the Glock 19 I had suited my personal uses fine and I've experienced no problems with them. With that in mind, Your Methods May Vary accordingly so.

Vendetta
08-17-13, 17:29
Yes. Junk. Countless people have gone through our Glock transition classes and broken their plastic sights. The class is 3 days and I'm not entirely sure on the round count, but that's terrible regardless.

usmcvet
08-17-13, 17:49
The Glock Factory Night Sights that came with the Glock 19 I had suited my personal uses fine and I've experienced no problems with them. With that in mind, Your Methods May Vary accordingly so.

The night sights are good to go. The plastic sights suck and should be replaced.

bluejackets92fs
08-17-13, 19:06
The night sights are good to go. The plastic sights suck and should be replaced.

The factory night sights I had on my 26 were Meprolight and I wasn't a fan. They were really dim even when new. I have always been a fan of Trijicons.

usmcvet
08-17-13, 19:27
The factory night sights I had on my 26 were Meprolight and I wasn't a fan. They were really dim even when new. I have always been a fan of Trijicons.

I've noticed several different types of night sights on Glocks. The last in my sins G17. I really liked them. I unusually order mine with factory sights and put my own on.

CLHC
08-17-13, 19:47

Good to know, thanks!

C4IGrant
08-17-13, 20:39

Plastic. No night fighting capability.

Any questions???

C4

ucrt
08-17-13, 21:27

=================================

Trijicon used to supply Glock their night sights but for a while Trijicon couldn't meet Glock's demand. Glock probably put on what ever they could get at the time.

Now, Glock "makes" their own night sights with Trijicon inserts.

But maybe it's just me...

JB13
08-18-13, 06:51
I never liked the plastics sights and I never had much luck picking up the front sight rapidly. I have straight 8s on my g17 gen 3 and warren/seveigny on gen 4. I personally like the straight 8s my wife likes the w/s so it worked out in the end.

polymorpheous
08-18-13, 09:01
First thing I did was replace mine. They are not only plastic, but cheesy plastic at that, and they offer a very poor sight picture IMO.
Went with a 10-8 rear and an Ameriglo Hackathorn front and couldn't be happier. Huge improvement! I don't know why Glock can't put a little more effort into their factory sight, but hey, what do I know---

What height front did you use?
What's your hold?

Toyoland66
08-18-13, 10:41
What's your hold?

Not JW but I am pretty sure the Hackathorn front is .165.

I run the hack front/rear on my gen4 G19 and have poa=poi
I have a warren rear/ hack front (awesome combo btw) on my gen3 G21 and have poa=poi. I started with a warren .245 front site on this gun and it shot way low.

Eta. It looks like they make a .220 pro glo front site as well.

polymorpheous
08-18-13, 10:49
I got a set of Warrens on my EDC.
Maybe I'll switch things around, see what I like.
Thanks for the info.

Hawaiianbro10
08-18-13, 11:02
I plan to swap my Glock 19,20 sights out and also trigger upgrade.

My local shop has I think called metro light tritium night sights. Price is $130.

polymorpheous
08-18-13, 11:08
I plan to swap my Glock 19,20 sights out and also trigger upgrade.

My local shop has I think called metro light tritium night sights. Price is $130.

That's kinda pricey.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=94

Hawaiianbro10
08-18-13, 11:24
Nice! Thanks for the link.

JW5219
08-18-13, 11:24
What's your hold?

I went with .220 height on the Hack front. 10-8 recommends a minimum height of .215, and I was shooting about 4" high at 15yds with the factory sights. I use point of aim, and now I'm right on in the shorter distances ( say 7 -15yds) and about 2" high or so at 25yds. The 10-8 rear is a .156 u-notch. I like the setup, and I don't have young eyes. ;)

JW5219
08-18-13, 11:26
Not JW but I am pretty sure the Hackathorn front is .165.

I run the hack front/rear on my gen4 G19 and have poa=poi
I have a warren rear/ hack front (awesome combo btw) on my gen3 G21 and have poa=poi. I started with a warren .245 front site on this gun and it shot way low.

Eta. It looks like they make a .220 pro glo front site as well.

Ameriglo makes different heights in that sight, with .230 being the tallest, if my memory serves me correctly.

PLCedeno
08-18-13, 12:52
For fun, spare or teaching they work fine and are cheap and easy to replace. Let me qualify spare by saying that if its a spare in your bag for an IDPA match or class and you have a dark room then things will be challenging. As a spare for a lethal encounter, then it will be even more challenging unless you can guarantee it occurs outdoors and the sun is out.

Toyoland66
08-18-13, 16:48
I went with .220 height on the Hack front. 10-8 recommends a minimum height of .215, and I was shooting about 4" high at 15yds with the factory sights. I use point of aim, and now I'm right on in the shorter distances ( say 7 -15yds) and about 2" high or so at 25yds. The 10-8 rear is a .156 u-notch. I like the setup, and I don't have young eyes. ;)

What model glock is this on?

bluejackets92fs
08-18-13, 16:51

=================================

Trijicon used to supply Glock their night sights but for a while Trijicon couldn't meet Glock's demand. Glock probably put on what ever they could get at the time.

Now, Glock "makes" their own night sights with Trijicon inserts.

But maybe it's just me...

Yeah, I know mine were Meprolights but I have seen factory Trijicons, and now the new ones with HD inserts in the front and kind of a straight 8 style rear with little tritium dots.

JW5219
08-19-13, 06:45
What model glock is this on?

Glock 17

Watrdawg
08-19-13, 07:17
I have the Glock factory night sights on my G19 and they are very bright! I keep my G19 on my night stand at night and they are so bright I can see them easily from across the room. I can't tell if they are Meprolight or Trijicon though. No labels on them other than Glock.

mayonaise
08-22-13, 09:28
Plastic sights are probably there because of the fact that most people change them out anyway. Since so many people do change them and there are so many aftermarket varieties available. It probably doesn't make sense for Glock to increase the cost of the gun by adding something better that is likely to be changed anyway.

Slater
08-22-13, 14:08
I would imagine that there are a lot of nightstand Glocks with plastic factory sights. The ones that get a box of ammo through them every other month.

auto_luver
08-22-13, 15:51
just had these installed on my 21, they are trijicon hd night sights gl1040 orange - I really like these, I'm very surprised and happy as to how bright they are in the dark :)

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc511/autoluver/trijicon_Glock21_zps5951a839.jpg

mayonaise
08-22-13, 17:13
I would imagine that there are a lot of nightstand Glocks with plastic factory sights. The ones that get a box of ammo through them every other month.

I see them every day. Some beat to hell but still usable. Many with the original staked on fronts.

bluejackets92fs
08-22-13, 17:15

Box of ammo every other month? That seems pretty generous.

JW5219
08-22-13, 17:29
Plastic sights are probably there because of the fact that most people change them out anyway. Since so many people do change them and there are so many aftermarket varieties available. It probably doesn't make sense for Glock to increase the cost of the gun by adding something better that is likely to be changed anyway.

Most people wouldn't have to " change them out anyway" if they provided quality sights in the first place. Increase the cost to us or them. I buy a Glock for X amount, and then expect to spend another $100 or so for decent sights. ! Bullshit, they can do better than providing slot fillers.

bluejackets92fs
08-22-13, 18:35
Most people wouldn't have to " change them out anyway" if they provided quality sights in the first place. Increase the cost to us or them. I buy a Glock for X amount, and then expect to spend another $100 or so for decent sights. ! Bullshit, they can do better than providing slot fillers.

Same can be said for HK, Sig, S&W.....

Every handgun on the market has shitty sights from the factory. It depends on the use. So why cater to CCW people and do night sights when the target guys will swap them out and vice versa. Allow the customer to customize, not try and please everyone.

richiecotite
08-22-13, 19:44
Ehh,the m&p factory sights are novaks (I believe) and perfectly serviceable.

Don't forget most handgun owners/buyers put less than a few hundred rounds through their guns and probably don't care about plastic sights, since it's not going to bother them during their yearly visit to the range to shoot 50 rounds 3-5 yes away.

bluejackets92fs
08-22-13, 19:59
Ehh,the m&p factory sights are novaks (I believe) and perfectly serviceable.

Don't forget most handgun owners/buyers put less than a few hundred rounds through their guns and probably don't care about plastic sights, since it's not going to bother them during their yearly visit to the range to shoot 50 rounds 3-5 yes away.

Every M&P I've owned had the front dot fly out in less than an entire mag through the gun. Novak or not, I still feel they are very minimalistic and need an upgrade if you plan on using it for defense, competition, or even just recreational shooting. I purchase a firearm knowing one of the first things I'm doing to it is upgrading sights. YMMV.

JonInWA
08-23-13, 07:48
I consider the Glock OEM polymer sights to be somewhat fragile/unduly subject to wear. However, with the Glock sight picture itself I've had excellent results with-especially for close-in to medium distance shooting-for longer-distance shooting the fat front sight blade makes things a bit problematic.

All of my Glocks have either Glock steel sights (my G17, G21, and one G19), Trijicon sights (one G19) or Warren Tactical sights (G34). While the Warren and Trijicon sights are superior, I've had quite good results (consistantly) in both IDPA and GSSF with the Glock steel sights.

Best, Jon

FAB45
08-23-13, 22:35
As everyone else mentioned they need to be changed. If you take any pistol class you will be doing drills to rack the slide using the sights on your belt, shoe, table, etc. Simulating one arm operations. New sight are the only MUST have on the Glock in my opinion.

03scgt
08-24-13, 00:56
I have factory night sights on my 17 and 19 with no issues so far.I also have the factory white box ones on my 27 but im not very hard on my stuff either

prez1967
08-24-13, 10:41
Hackathorn sights by Ameriglo for me...

railpig314
11-28-13, 22:45
Hey,
I would just buy the factory night sights. They are $65.00 from Glock. I sent my pistol back to the Glock and they installed them. I have used Glock night sights for years and never had any problems. They seem to be very bright. I think that is the best way to go. Good luck....

Slater
11-30-13, 10:38
The below is an FMS contract for Kenya involving Glock 19's. A Contractor Spare Parts package is listed, and is noted as being sufficient to service 100 weapons for 7 years. I notice they include only two polymer front sights and two polymer rear sights. They must really have a lot of confidence in their sights :D

https://contracting.tacom.army.mil/confls/awd/W56HZV13P0622/0000.pdf