PDA

View Full Version : The Pinnacle of Polymer Pistols: The HK45 Review

ptmccain
08-17-13, 13:57
Pinnacle of Polymer Pistols?
A Review with Video of the Heckler & Koch HK45

I have a man-crush on the .45ACP. What red-blooded American male wouldn’t? I mean, come on. It is the epitome of handgun cartridges that has seen America through two World Wars, one “police action” and … whatever the Vietnam Conflict was. Designed by the Über-Mensch of all gun designers: St. John Moses Browning, specifically for his iconic 1911 handgun, the .45ACP has been the “go to” round in the American handgun arsenal for over 100 years and it is still going strong.

When you start looking into polymer-framed .45ACP semi-autos you have a lot of choices. I have personally owned and used/reviewed and fired Sigs, Glocks, FNs, Berettas, but none of them, in my opinion, rises to the level of design and function that the HK 45 offers. And then, of course, you have Springfield’s line of imported Euro-handguns, S&W, Ruger, etc. etc.

Here are some thoughts about what I’ve shot so far, compared to the HK.

I do not like the fact that the Sig offers no external safety, thus giving you no option but to fire it from DA before you get to SA, if you choose to carry a round in the chamber. The SIG P220 has a very limited capacity, and you can get 10 rounds if you are ok carrying a gangly extended magazine with it. The SIG P227 has certainly caught my eye though, SIG’s first double-stack .45ACP. And, of course, SIG gives you an all metal construction. But, with it’s lack of external safety you therefore must master two trigger pulls, rather than one.

The FN .45 ACP DA/SA semi-autos (FNP and FNX) are fine pistols and have the distinct advantage of the largest stock capacity out there 15+1. That’s a whole lot of .45ACP love right there. I’ve owned them and used them. Great handguns, but the “feel” compare to the HK is very clear, well, almost kind of “cheap” in comparison to the HK. The HK is much tighter, and feels stronger. The trigger group in the FNX feels almost toy like. The HK is much more rugged and obviously built to tighter tolerances. The Glock 21 is a terrific handgun and is clearly the winner in striker-fire actions. Chamber a round into a Glock and it is “always on” … you supply the safety: trigger finger discipline and proper mental discipline. The Beretta PX Storm comes in .45ACP but the “backward” safety on the Berettas drives me nuts, though the build quality and ergonomics are great. And, hey, it’s a Beretta, very well built, just nothing for me other than a range gun.

The HK however offers the best of all worlds, in my view. You have a great external safety that has the best decocking mechanism I’ve run across yet. When you decock there is a clear “click” feel as you move it into decocking, something I have not found on anything else with a decocker. That tactical feedback is totally lacking on the FNX, etc. The trigger on the HK is nice and wide, offering the chance to get more of the tip of your finger on it, and making it easier to press the trigger back cleaning. The reset point on the HK trigger, stock, is not short enough, to my liking. The HK sights are crisp and visible, yellow in daylight, and glowing at night. The HK’s o-ring on the barrel allows for greater accuracy. It’s recoil spring is a monster. Clear the HK 45 has the best of the build features in its granddaddy, the HK MK23 or as I call it, “The Beast.”

Shooting it is very comfortable, the grip is nicely ergonomically formed and with adjustable backstraps you are able to get what suits you best. I found shooting it to be very easy. The recoil is very manageable. I’d have to give the nod to the SIG P220 for comfort in shooting the .45ACP though.

The major down-side of the HK 45 is its capacity: 10+1. Period. No extended magazines available. No base plates allowing more rounds. It is what it is, a 11 round capacity .45ACP. That alone may be the deciding factor for people wanting to have more rounds in the pistol: Glock offers more, and so does the FN platform, as previously mentioned.

But, arguably, you have the higest quality build out of the box from the H&K, hands down better than anything I’ve ever used. I have not tried out Springfields or S&W’s or Ruger’s line of .45ACP polymer handguns. Hope to some day. I may be blown away by them, but I highly doubt it.

The HK 45 is a great handgun and if you have a chance to shoot one, I think you’ll see what I’m talking about.

I'm not permitted to post my review and shooting demo video that I made on the HK45, but you can find it on my YouTube channel, just use the link in my signature below to get to it.

Panoptes
08-17-13, 14:39
You mention 'big hands'... hard to tell from the video - how big?

ptmccain
08-17-13, 14:40
I wear XXL gloves.

DanjojoUSMC
08-17-13, 15:23
Nice review, I enjoyed the video as well. I am a big HK fan and can tell you see some of the things that keeps me one. Make things better than OK, make them tough, and do this consistently. The last part is maybe the biggest justification for the high price tags - some of the other big name companies spend months spitting out defective batches back to back and/or like to use early adopters for R&D.

Still really love the USP 45's and they are a good option for someone wanting more than 10rds per mag. Not perfect, especially for small stature/hands folks, but accuracy, reliability, and durability as good or better than anything else - what is most important.

I understand the not too bulky 45's (M&P, HK45/C, 227) having much better ergonomics for the masses. XD/M 45 is actually really good here also and the ones I have shot did very well.

Panoptes
08-17-13, 21:15
I wear XXL gloves.
Might not be for me then! Thanks for your help.

CFII
08-18-13, 00:27
Im pretty damn happy with my HK45.

Sensei
08-18-13, 00:35
I have an HK45 and HK45C. They are indeed well built guns. Having said that, I don't see their capacity as being their biggest weakness. IMHO, the HK polymer platform suffers the worst factory trigger of any modern DA/SA combat worthy pistol. It sucks worse that Sig, FN, Beretta PX4, and even the USP line.

It is not just that the initial DA pull is heavy (16 pounds on my 45C). The HK45 trigger also has excessive overtravel and trigger guard geometry that causes trigger finger bite in a significant number of people. David Bowie (no, not the singer) of Bowie Tactical concepts has a mod to correct this problem, but people need to know that their pistol may require some work for painless operation. Another way to improve the trigger is to switch over to the light LEM. However, keep in mind that the LEM trigger is its own beast and most shooters require some time to master this variation.

Dano5326
08-18-13, 01:08
"The pinnacle of polymer pistols: The HK45 Review"

Disingenuous IMO. Title would suggest you had experience with competing offerings.. leaving the HK at the top of the pyramid.

I find the M&P45 more ergonomic, nicer impulse, easier to shoot fast. Accuracy on par. Larger mags available for those into that.. and less than 1/2 the price.

If you need a short suppressed 45 (why suppress a .45 when a .40 or 9mm is so much better) the 45C is a good choice.

HK pistols, last 15yrs, have historically been robust and accurate. So there is that going for them.

rathos
08-18-13, 01:25
I would like to see a M&P 45 go 31,000 rounds before a parts breakage. I am not even sure an M&P 45 would last that many rounds before needing to be replaced. Sure you can buy two M&Ps for the cost of one H&K but you will need both of them to equal the same life of the one H&K pistol.

"The pinnacle of polymer pistols: The HK45 Review"

Disingenuous IMO. Title would suggest you had experience with competing offerings.. leaving the HK at the top of the pyramid.

I find the M&P45 more ergonomic, nicer impulse, easier to shoot fast. Accuracy on par. Larger mags available for those into that.. and less than 1/2 the price.

If you need a short suppressed 45 (why suppress a .45 when a .40 or 9mm is so much better) the 45C is a good choice.

HK pistols, last 15yrs, have historically been robust and accurate. So there is that going for them.

Koshinn
08-18-13, 01:46
I would like to see a M&P 45 go 31,000 rounds before a parts breakage. I am not even sure an M&P 45 would last that many rounds before needing to be replaced. Sure you can buy two M&Ps for the cost of one H&K but you will need both of them to equal the same life of the one H&K pistol.

You say you don't know if it can, then assume it can't in the very next sentence.

Apples-to-oranges, but pistol-training.com (who did a HK45 test at 50,000 rds), also did a M&P9 (not 45, hence apples-to-oranges) test at 62,000 rds. The HK45 was in better shape at the end of its test than the M&P9, but it fired 20% fewer rounds.

At 32,000 rds, no parts broke on the M&P9 either.
http://pistol-training.com/archives/481

rathos
08-18-13, 02:26
That HK was not destroyed either and was still in working condition. It most likely could have went another 50,000 rounds.

The M&P 9mm did fire more rounds, but also had a crack in the slide. Maybe after Todd is done with his 1911 tests we can talk him into doing the M&P .45

You say you don't know if it can, then assume it can't in the very next sentence.

Apples-to-oranges, but pistol-training.com (who did a HK45 test at 50,000 rds), also did a M&P9 (not 45, hence apples-to-oranges) test at 62,000 rds. The HK45 was in better shape at the end of its test than the M&P9, but it fired 20% fewer rounds.

At 32,000 rds, no parts broke on the M&P9 either.
http://pistol-training.com/archives/481

Gary1911A1
08-18-13, 07:05
Enjoyed your video. While shooting did you unintentionally decocker your HK45? Just looked like it to me. I have a HK45 worked on by Bowie Tactical. His Vickers Package is a must for me and you might want to consider it. My favorite DA/SA pistol is still the Sig 220 due to the trigger. I might have to buy two or three of them to last as long as the HK, but if you carry one, assuming reliability, you want the most accurate pistol.

ptmccain
08-18-13, 09:50
Enjoyed your video. While shooting did you unintentionally decocker your HK45? Just looked like it to me. I have a HK45 worked on by Bowie Tactical. His Vickers Package is a must for me and you might want to consider it. My favorite DA/SA pistol is still the Sig 220 due to the trigger. I might have to buy two or three of them to last as long as the HK, but if you carry one, assuming reliability, you want the most accurate pistol.

No, the problem was where my thumb was riding....on the slide release. I will need to work on that. I have the same problem when using my SIGS, only worse there because of where SIG puts their slide releases.

My primary side arm is a Glock and I'm most accustomed to using it, particularly in my training classes and SD/emergency situations.

Koshinn
08-18-13, 10:50
That HK was not destroyed either and was still in working condition. It most likely could have went another 50,000 rounds.

The M&P 9mm did fire more rounds, but also had a crack in the slide. Maybe after Todd is done with his 1911 tests we can talk him into doing the M&P .45

You keep making baseless assumptions.

Surviving 50,000 rds does not mean that it could "most likely" survive another 50,000.

It could crack it's slide at 50,001 rds for all we know.

With the data given, nothing can be extrapolated about how the weapons will do with continued usage past what was actually tested.

DanjojoUSMC
08-18-13, 11:53
Something with a little extra insight into durability of HK pistols. This was from a guy named Ripper20 going into detail on his USP 45 that had over 160,000 documented rounds.

"Sure can. KK date code, purchased NIB by me Oct 99 for SWAT use. To date, not a single part has broke. I replaced the recoil spring at 6,505 rounds and again at 101,215. I replaced the mag springs when I bought it. Most used ammo was 185gr Gold Dot HP for the first 4 years and then 200gr +P Glod Dots and then to 230gr Gold Dots. According to my log book only 12,419 rounds of WWB and 11,200 rounds of UMC 230gr ball have been down the pipe. When I left SWAT last year I sent the gun to HK for a detailed inspection. I got it back 2 days later with a note from the armorer stating that everything was within specs, he replaced all the springs not out of necessity, but as a PM thing. The only parts that were replaced due to wear were the detent plate and the recoil spring and new night sights were installed. Cost for this 0.00. Now thats customer service!

I used a supressor 4 times on actual call outs and actually pulled the trigger 3 of those times. The single action trigger pull breaks cleanly at 3.92 pounds (I haven't done anything to it). I have literaly shot/carried the crap out of this thing and it's like a Timex watch, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. BTW three of the four times it jammed were because the slide made contact with a barricade and the fourt time was a FTF due to an extremely dirty chamber."

M&P pistols surely work great most of the time but have had problems on and off from the start. With good prices and the right people promoting and/or adopting them - they continued to rise in popularity. Still S&W doesn't seem quite as passionate about utmost durability, reliability, parts quality, etc.

When I first held an M&P9 from some of the initial runs I didn't see anything about it that screamed higher quality than my old $300 Kel-Tec P11 from the 90's. Everybody else still seemed excited for an all-American competitor to the Glock throne.

ptmccain
08-18-13, 15:42
Isn't this a thread on the HK45? I got confused with all the chatter about M&Ps.

:D

JW5219
08-18-13, 16:42
Can you say "hijacked" boys and girls? :rolleyes:

tom frost
08-18-13, 17:22
Isn't this a thread on the HK45? I got confused with all the chatter about M&Ps.

It seemed to be a thread suggesting the superiority of the HK, it's inevitable (and I would think desirable) that the relative quality of comparable pistols would be discussed.

ptmccain
08-18-13, 17:27
It seemed to be a thread suggesting the superiority of the HK, it's inevitable (and I would think desirable) that the relative quality of comparable pistols would be discussed.

Sure, that's fine, but not sure the squabbling over whose pistol test was better was on point.

Seems the 160,000 documented rounds through an HK verifies that the HK is a decent enough platform in terms of durability.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-18-13, 17:28
No doubt, the HK45 is an incredible gun. Basically a bombproof beast with excellent ergonomics.

ptmccain
08-18-13, 17:31
No doubt, the HK45 is an incredible gun. Basically a bombproof beast with excellent ergonomics.

The ergonomics on the HK45 are a huge improvement over the HK MK23, that's for sure.

tom frost
08-18-13, 17:35
Sure, that's fine, but not sure the squabbling over whose pistol test was better was on point.

Seems the 160,000 documented rounds through an HK verifies that the HK is a decent enough platform in terms of durability.

Yeah, pistol tests are not really something to squabble over, total agreement there.

I suppose tests that claim round counts as high as 160,000 seem a little goofy to me, and difficult to regard as much more than a sample of one. Don't get me wrong, I am not challenging the durability claims of HK users.... just at some point it seems to get a little bit overboard.

ptmccain
08-18-13, 17:42
Yeah, pistol tests are not really something to squabble over, total agreement there.

I suppose tests that claim round counts as high as 160,000 seem a little goofy to me, and difficult to regard as much more than a sample of one. Don't get me wrong, I am not challenging the durability claims of HK users.... just at some point it seems to get a little bit overboard.

Yes, agreed.

I was trying to imagine how long it would take me to shoot 160,000 rounds through a handgun, or how much fun it would be to get up to 160,000 rounds.

Let's say I shoot 500 rounds, every week, in training/practice, that's 320 weeks, that's over six years.

I think I'd feel like I had got my money's worth.

And while we are on the topic of durability....

I was recently with a former Navy Seal (Vietnam/old school era). He teaches pistol shooting literally around the world. Has a Glock 22 that is a Gen 2.

He has NEVER cleaned it. Lubed it? Sure. Cleaned it? Nope. Detail strip? No.

He and a buddy have a running competition going to see who has to clean is Glock first after it stops running.

Neither of them has had to clean their Glocks.

mdrums
08-18-13, 18:40
My wife went and took her gun class and CCW class today at the local store. 5 hrs worth of training for her. She took a ladies class a year ago but needed a refrsher. Plus her CCW class was more than just listen to the laws and put 6 shots in the paper. They covered everything and went through shoot drills. She shot right at 50 rounds today.

I hung out at the store and on the range with my Glock G17 and my Colt 1911.

I have not had my Glock very long and was shooting it to the left a lot. During some dry fire practice I noticed a small twitch to the left when I pulled the trigger. So I concentrated on this today. A little better today...about 2" to the left but still shooting to the left. On some really good trigger pulls I did get a few bulls eyes. Also it seems that Glocks blister the bottoms of my trigger finger. Just on the inside next to my finger nail on my trigger finger gets raw.

My Colt 1911...I can eat out the center of the target at 5-7-and 19 yards. At 25 yards for fun I get on paper (8x11") with the 1911. With the Glock maybe lucky to get a few on paper.

With my M&P Shield...I am very accurate at 5-10 yards.

I really do not think it my Glock. It has to be me. Why? Yesterday when my wife shot my G17 she was not as accurate but the shots were not all to the left. It has to be me. The same left shooting happened with stock sights, Truglow and now my Ameriglo/Trijicon night sights.

Anyway, I want a full size .45ACP...beside my 1911. I was thinking of getting a G21SF Glock. The SF feels better in my thick hands. The regular 21 is like holding a 2x4. Then today the counter guy lets me hold a H&K 45C and HK45. Wow....feels GREAT! I also held a Sig .45..not sure the model number and it feels a lot like my Sig P226 which I love and shoot very well.

fourXfour
08-18-13, 20:50
My wife went and took her gun class and CCW class today at the local store. 5 hrs worth of training for her. She took a ladies class a year ago but needed a refrsher. Plus her CCW class was more than just listen to the laws and put 6 shots in the paper. They covered everything and went through shoot drills. She shot right at 50 rounds today.

I hung out at the store and on the range with my Glock G17 and my Colt 1911.

I have not had my Glock very long and was shooting it to the left a lot. During some dry fire practice I noticed a small twitch to the left when I pulled the trigger. So I concentrated on this today. A little better today...about 2" to the left but still shooting to the left. On some really good trigger pulls I did get a few bulls eyes. Also it seems that Glocks blister the bottoms of my trigger finger. Just on the inside next to my finger nail on my trigger finger gets raw.

My Colt 1911...I can eat out the center of the target at 5-7-and 19 yards. At 25 yards for fun I get on paper (8x11") with the 1911. With the Glock maybe lucky to get a few on paper.

With my M&P Shield...I am very accurate at 5-10 yards.

I really do not think it my Glock. It has to be me. Why? Yesterday when my wife shot my G17 she was not as accurate but the shots were not all to the left. It has to be me. The same left shooting happened with stock sights, Truglow and now my Ameriglo/Trijicon night sights.

Anyway, I want a full size .45ACP...beside my 1911. I was thinking of getting a G21SF Glock. The SF feels better in my thick hands. The regular 21 is like holding a 2x4. Then today the counter guy lets me hold a H&K 45C and HK45. Wow....feels GREAT! I also held a Sig .45..not sure the model number and it feels a lot like my Sig P226 which I love and shoot very well.

One reason that a shooter shoots left is the application of too much finger pad on the trigger. Try backing your finger out a quarter inch and focus on pulling straight back. Your wife may have smaller hands and not putting the trigger finger too far on the trigger.

Very common with our recruits.

Salamander
08-18-13, 23:10
Thanks for the detailed review.

I've slowly transitioned to mostly HK guns and the more I shoot them the more I like them. I have a cumulative few thousand rounds through three different guns over the past slightly over a year, and not a single malfunction of any kind with any of my HK's.

Two of them are P2000's with the LEM trigger, which I like for carry use. More recently I bought a USP compact 45 v1 (DA/SA w/ safety). Although it doesn't have the interchangeable backstraps of the newer HK's it fits my average size hands well, and I like the ability to carry cocked and locked. Thus far I'm shooting it more accurately than any of my other guns, although I've had time to test it only at 15 yards thus far.

Tomorrow morning I have an appointment to add my USPc 45 to my CCW (we're only allowed to list three guns in my county), and it's going to bump my M&P 45. Now there's nothing really major that's wrong with the M&P, it too is accurate, and it has a better than average trigger, but there have been little annoyances... having to replace the extractor with the Apex FRE, which made the occasional FTF's go away; the tendency of the M&P to auto-forward the slide when a mag is inserted; and, the wear pattern on the feed ramp of the M&P clearly shows that there were imperfections in the machining, low spots which are small but very obvious within the wear-polished surface. These things, to me, are indications that attention to quality isn't quite what it could be yet at S&W. Things seem to be slowly and steadily improving there, so I remain optimistic.

So it's quite simple. I have 100% confidence in any of my HK's, so those are the guns I intend to carry. I'm willing to pay a little extra for that total confidence, since I sometimes work in the backcountry and out in the weather. Anything that I only have 95% confidence in goes back in the safe and will be used for range trips.

KrampusArms
08-19-13, 18:44
Holy crap!

Im subscribed to you on youtube! Didnt realise you were on M4C, cool.

Love your videos sir.

ptmccain
08-19-13, 18:47
Shhhhhh.....let's keep the video thing to ourselves. M4Carbine.net is a bit "twitchy" about videos.

:nono:

BBS
08-21-13, 13:37
I really wish people would review hk's with their lem variants. The sig da/sa demolishes the hk da/sa but their lem's are absolutely beautiful.

SmokinSigs357
08-21-13, 15:16
I love and cherish my HK 45. I have many other HKs and also have a love affair with a fair amount of SIGs and a couple of Walthers.

With that being said, the DA pull on a modern SIG is not bad...not to start a fight, but I have limited but unpleasant experiences with the HK LEM platform...so much so that I think the DAK would be better and I would NEVER buy a SIG with DAK. But, like I said, I don't want to get into that argument.

Anyway, you talk about external safeties...I don't want to be "that guy" but the trigger finger is the ultimate external safety...coupled with the hammer down on a DA/SA weapon, the gun is pretty safe.

I don't carry a SIG anymore, but when I did, it was no problem for me to draw the weapon and "thumb" the hammer back giving me SA first shots every time.

I can tell you that every SIG of mine in SA has a WAY better trigger than the HK 45.

If you are comparing capacity, then the new P227 should be thrown into the comparison.

Anyway, great review. Love my HK 45, but the SIG should still be getting some love...

MountainRaven
08-21-13, 20:05
Anyway, great review. Love my HK 45, but the SIG should still be getting some love...

Why? Did SiG start paying attention to QC/QA again?

rathos
08-22-13, 05:37
The point of the safety was not only does it add an extra layer of safe, but it allows you to carry cocked and locked like a 1911. This allows for all of the shots to be single action and therefore they tend to be more accurate. Nothing wrong with double action, but why not give yourself the edge?

Sigs are great guns and even easier to work on then most HKs, but I have to say with an HK you will hardly ever have to work on it.

I love and cherish my HK 45. I have many other HKs and also have a love affair with a fair amount of SIGs and a couple of Walthers.

With that being said, the DA pull on a modern SIG is not bad...not to start a fight, but I have limited but unpleasant experiences with the HK LEM platform...so much so that I think the DAK would be better and I would NEVER buy a SIG with DAK. But, like I said, I don't want to get into that argument.

Anyway, you talk about external safeties...I don't want to be "that guy" but the trigger finger is the ultimate external safety...coupled with the hammer down on a DA/SA weapon, the gun is pretty safe.

I don't carry a SIG anymore, but when I did, it was no problem for me to draw the weapon and "thumb" the hammer back giving me SA first shots every time.

I can tell you that every SIG of mine in SA has a WAY better trigger than the HK 45.

If you are comparing capacity, then the new P227 should be thrown into the comparison.

ptmccain
08-22-13, 07:24
Let's also keep in mind our hometown hero on this forum, Larry Vickers and his compadre Ken H. had direct input on the development of the HK45.

I'm still considering having it tweaked according to LAV's suggestions, but have not yet used it enough to determine if I feel I really need to have the mods done to it that LAV recommends (trigger work, etc.).

brickboy240
08-22-13, 13:52
Great review!

I also got to see the video when you posted a review at XD Talk before the moron brigade chimed in and they closed the thread. I honestly do not know what is wrong with some people there....they think it is Glock Talk! LOL

I too am looking hard at either a Glock 30S or the HK45C.

I am really torn. Part of me says get the G30S because I am married to the Glock platform but the HK45C feels really nice in the hands. I have 3 SIG P-series pistols and can handle the d/a-s/a thingy so the Hk45C is VERY tempting and a high quality piece.

I find your reviews to be spot on and usually honest and no-nonsense. Keep up the good work.

-brickboy240

rathos
08-22-13, 14:06
I will give you this bit of info on the 45c. If you are a glock shooter and shoot a modern thumbs forward or high thumb grip the DA/SA version takes some getting used to. It is almost uncomfortable in extended range sessions with that safety lever, however you can modify your grip a bit. If you convert it to LEM or get a LEM trigger it does take some getting used to (at least for me) as the trigger pull is a lot different due to the huge amount of slack before you hit the engagement point. The 45c does handle the recoil very well, and is an amazing pistol but if you are married to the glock platform the 45c might not be the gun for you.

Great review!

I also got to see the video when you posted a review at XD Talk before the moron brigade chimed in and they closed the thread. I honestly do not know what is wrong with some people there....they think it is Glock Talk! LOL

I am really torn. Part of me says get the G30S because I am married to the Glock platform but the HK45C feels really nice in the hands. I have 3 SIG P-series pistols and can handle the d/a-s/a thingy so the Hk45C is VERY tempting and a high quality piece.

I find your reviews to be spot on and usually honest and no-nonsense. Keep up the good work.

-brickboy240

brickboy240
08-22-13, 15:05
I have to shift my grip with the SIG P-series guns that I own. Otherwise...my thumb rides the slide lock and I get premature slide lock now and then! LOL

So adjusting hands is not a deal killer.

I borrowed a P30 with the LEM trigger and that is something I do NOT want. Too different from my Glocks and d/a-s/a SIGs. The traditional set up of the HK45C is more like a SIG.

My gut tells me to go with the G30S but I really like the HK45C and will think hard before I make a decision. I am taking the time to read everyone's reviews on the gun before making a purchase.

-brickboy240

DanjojoUSMC
08-22-13, 15:24
30S is basically a 36 where it matters - historically the least reliable, most problematic Glock. Most finicky when it comes to grip and ammo. Slide is too light - long term durability and reliability is usually related to having a heavier slide less dependent on the recoil spring.

If you are wanting the most dependable it shouldn't be a hard decision. Shot little and carried often Glock 30's are usually great though :D

brickboy240
08-22-13, 16:39
To be honest....I have not ruled out a G30.

Around here...the G30S is actually hard to find.

The G30 seems to be pretty trouble free as far as non-9mm Glocks go.

-brickboy240

ptmccain
08-22-13, 18:41
I really did not find the G30 a positive experience. For me it was too uncontrollable and too small in my hand. I really enjoyed the G21. I think I would definitely like shooting a G21 with the beavertail grips the Gen 4s come with.

The HK45 is simply heads/shoulders above the Glock in terms of quality of build and ergonomics. And understandably so, since you are paying nearly twice as much.

I have not used the HK45C, so can't comment on how it compares to the G30, but I suspect the ergos would be noticeably better than the Glock 30.

ptmccain
08-22-13, 18:46
Great review!

-brickboy240

Thanks, yes, there are a handful of real drama queens on XD Talk, kind of a "he man woman hater's club" kind of thing.

; )

bzdog
08-22-13, 21:57
The point of the safety was not only does it add an extra layer of safe, but it allows you to carry cocked and locked like a 1911. This allows for all of the shots to be single action and therefore they tend to be more accurate. Nothing wrong with double action, but why not give yourself the edge?

You could always go PPQ and have cocked and UNlocked.

-john

streck
08-22-13, 22:09
So why is not having an external safety a distractor?

rathos
08-23-13, 05:44
I guess when they start making it in .45 I will take a look...

You could always go PPQ and have cocked and UNlocked.

-john

Gary1911A1
08-23-13, 08:09
I wish HK would of just used the decocker on the P2000 on the HK45 as I find the thumb safety on it awkward compared to a 1911.

newyork
08-23-13, 08:21
I wish HK would of just used the decocker on the P2000 on the HK45 as I find the thumb safety on it awkward compared to a 1911.

That takes away the cocked and locked option away and makes it strictly da/sa. Light LEM is the way to go IMO. I do agree on the lever positioning if you shoot it like a 1911. I think the strong hand thumb should rest on the support hand thumb instead of riding the safety like a 1911, to prevent decocking accidentally.

gtmtnbiker98
08-23-13, 10:07
That takes away the cocked and locked option away and makes it strictly da/sa. Light LEM is the way to go IMO. I do agree on the lever positioning if you shoot it like a 1911. I think the strong hand thumb should rest on the support hand thumb instead of riding the safety like a 1911, to prevent decocking accidentally.The accidental decock under recoil is what made me sell my HK45. Just couldn't make it work, with my grip and placement of the safety/decocker.

newyork
08-23-13, 11:17
Its what made me go LEM

Defaultmp3
08-23-13, 15:43
Any reason beyond availability as to why y'all didn't try the 5+6 detent plate to convert it to a V9?

Hunter Rose
08-23-13, 16:57
The accidental decock under recoil is what made me sell my HK45. Just couldn't make it work, with my grip and placement of the safety/decocker.

Its what made me go LEM

It's what made me go to Variant 9. :D

Gary1911A1
08-24-13, 04:22
Any reason beyond availability as to why y'all didn't try the 5+6 detent plate to convert it to a V9?

For myself the thumb safety would still be to high and not like the 1911s' I have. I have the same experience with my M&P45 with thumb safeties.

Pappabear
08-24-13, 13:32
HK45 guns are in a league of their own in the quality department. How much is enough? Not sure but HK reached it IMHO. Yes, their triggers leave a bit to be desired much like all handguns except our beloved 1911's.

I like the M&P's except they suck, and I like the Glock's except they suck and I like my FNP 45 except it sucks, UNLESS I TRAIN WITH THEM.

PB OUT