PDA

View Full Version : Help me build the best safariland frankenholster

Michael2007
08-17-13, 21:57
So I have a darkness/vehicle class coming up. I will be wearing my duty armor but my personal weapon and holster. I have a high riding thigh rig and the safariland drop UBL that just doesn't feel stable (the ITS tactical mod puts the leg strap a little too high for comfort). I would like something for a 1.5 inch belt that drops my grip about an inch below the belt line.
I like the GCode duty drop look but will it take the QLS and is it stable? Any input helps.

Thanks a ton guys!

Michael2007
08-17-13, 22:00
I forgot to mention I will be mounting a safariland 6378 for Glock 19 with a WML.

El Vaquero
08-17-13, 22:26
Have you looked at the Drop Flex Adapter with the single strap leg shroud? That's what I use. Rides low enough to clear my armor and is very stable. I also use it with the QLS system.

Michael2007
08-17-13, 22:29
I have a single leg shroud that I run pretty darn high and I really like it but I'd rather something belt mounted that way I might be able to swing it by the boss for duty use. Does the DFA give enough flex for the holster to move with the leg?

El Vaquero
08-17-13, 22:41
The holster stays tight to your leg with the DFA. I think I know the dilemma your facing. I tried using the QLS with the UBL holster on my belt (no leg strap) and it was definitely no bueno. The holster would lift off my leg when I drew my pistol.

I think when you begin to drop the holster lower you really need to use a leg strap.

I came to the realization that its easier to use two different setups. If we have time to kit up I use the thigh rig. When we don't I use a plain belt holster with my vest. It's not as nice but it still does the job.

Yeah I could not see a chief authorizing a thigh rig for uniform duty. Not even usually for the street crimes guys.

Michael2007
08-17-13, 22:52
Ya only our fugitive apprehension guys can use thigh holsters. We're issued Slerpas high ride at that. I absolutely hate them. I figure if I use my ALS I might be able to swing our deputy chief to let me carry it on duty.