PDA

View Full Version : Gary Gordon and Randall Shughart

Safetyhit
04-19-08, 00:15
I assume most here know the two men pictured in my avatar, Master Sergeant Gary Gordon and Sergeant First Class Randall Shughart. I will never change it.

I was reading yet another story of their valiant but hopeless stand today, and I just want to recognize them here for anyone who may not know of their incredible bravery and sacrifice. I swear I would pay exorbitant amounts of money to have been there to fight by their side.

Remember them, always. They were all that we could ever hope to be.

Unfortunately, I did not know either, but I truly miss them regardless and will never forget. God bless their souls.

'I will not fail those with whom I serve.'

On October 3, 1993 members of the elite US Army rangers and SOCOM's Delta Force executed a mission to attempt the capture of Gen. Mohammed Farah Aidid. The opposition was much larger and better organized then originally thought and the mission began to take a turn for the worse. In the ensuing battle two UH-60 Blackhawk helicopters were shot down. As the second Blackhawk, containing Chief Warrant Officer Michael Durant, was hit and crashed, Master Sergeant Gary I. Gordon and Sergeant First Class Randall D. Shughart, were in a nearby Blackhawk monitoring radio traffic. Gordon and Shughart were a sniper team for Delta Force and were assigned to over watch the operation, engaging targets from the Blackhawk. As they monitored the downing of the 2nd Blackhawk it was evident that ground forces would not be available anytime soon to secure the crash site and protect the crew of four, whom all survived the crash. Gordon, the sniper team leader, requested they be inserted at the 2nd crash site. His request was denied twice before finally being approved on the third request. The initial insertion attempt failed and they had to insert about 100 meters away from the crash site. They were only armed with their sniper rifles and pistols.

Upon reaching the downed Blackhawk, which was under intense fire, Gordon and Shughart pulled the crew from the wreckage and proceeded to setup a defensive parameter. The sniper team began to engage, the attacking Somalis from the opposite side of the wreckage. Shugart was the first one to be mortally wounded at about the same time he ran out of ammo. At the same time, Gordon returned to Durant and calmly asked if there were more weapons (he was out of ammo) and then retrieved some from the down Blackhawk, and began to reengage the attackers. Again, out of ammo, he was only able to retrieve one weapon and five rounds, which he gave to Durant and said "Good Luck". He then drew his pistol and held off the attackers as long as possible, eventually being mortally wounded.

Concerning Shughart and Gordan, Durant made the comment "Without a doubt, I owe my life to these two men and their bravery...Those guys came in when they had to know it was a losing battle, There was nobody else left to back them up. If they had not come in, I wouldn't have survived." For their bravery and actions beyond the call of duty, the United States government awarded both Shugart and Gordon the Medal of Honor, the only snipers to have ever received the MOH. The events of this mission have been well documented in the book Blackhawk Down, and the movie of the same title that was based on the book. In 1996 the US Navy named two ships after Shughart and Gordon in honor of their heroic actions. At Ft. Polk's JRTC, the largest town inside of "The Box" is named "Shughart-Gordon".

Master Sergeant Gary I. Gordon
Citation Reads: Rank and organization: Master Sergeant, U.S. Army. Place and date: 3 October 1993, Mogadishu, Somalia. Entered service at: ----- Born: Lincoln, Maine. Citation: Master Sergeant Gordon, United States Army, distinguished himself by actions above and beyond the call of duty on 3 October 1993, while serving as Sniper Team Leader, United States Army Special Operations Command with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia. Master Sergeant Gordon's sniper team provided precision fires from the lead helicopter during an assault and at two helicopter crash sites, while subjected to intense automatic weapons and rocket propelled grenade fires. When Master Sergeant Gordon learned that ground forces were not immediately available to secure the second crash site, he and another sniper unhesitatingly volunteered to be inserted to protect the four critically wounded personnel, despite being well aware of the growing number of enemy personnel closing in on the site. After his third request to be inserted, Master Sergeant Gordon received permission to perform his volunteer mission. When debris and enemy ground fires at the site caused them to abort the first attempt, Master Sergeant Gordon was inserted one hundred meters south of the crash site. Equipped with only his sniper rifle and a pistol, Master Sergeant Gordon and his fellow sniper, while under intense small arms fire from the enemy, fought their way through a dense maze of shanties and shacks to reach the critically injured crew members. Master Sergeant Gordon immediately pulled the pilot and the other crew members from the aircraft, establishing a perimeter which placed him and his fellow sniper in the most vulnerable position. Master Sergeant Gordon used his long range rifle and side arm to kill an undetermined number of attackers until he depleted his ammunition. Master Sergeant Gordon then went back to the wreckage, recovering some of the crew's weapons and ammunition. Despite the fact that he was critically low on ammunition, he provided some of it to the dazed pilot and then radioed for help. Master Sergeant Gordon continued to travel the perimeter, protecting the downed crew. After his team member was fatally wounded and his own rifle ammunition exhausted, Master Sergeant Gordon returned to the wreckage, recovering a rifle with the last five rounds of ammunition and gave it to the pilot with the words, "good luck." Then, armed only with his pistol, Master Sergeant Gordon continued to fight until he was fatally wounded. His actions saved the pilot's life. Master Sergeant Gordon's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest standards of military service and reflect great credit upon, his unit and the United States Army.
Sergeant First Class Randall D. Shughart
Citation Reads: Rank and organization: Sergeant First Class, U.S. Army. Place and date: 3 October 1993, Mogadishu, Somalia. Entered service at: ----- Born: Newville, Pennsylvania. Citation: Sergeant First Class Shughart, United States Army, distinguished himself by actions above and beyond the call of duty on 3 October 1993, while serving as a Sniper Team Member, United States Army Special Operations Command with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia. Sergeant First Class Shughart provided precision sniper fires from the lead helicopter during an assault on a building and at two helicopter crash sites, while subjected to intense automatic weapons and rocket propelled grenade fires. While providing critical suppressive fires at the second crash site, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader learned that ground forces were not immediately available to secure the site. Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader unhesitatingly volunteered to be inserted to protect the four critically wounded personnel, despite being well aware of the growing number of enemy personnel closing in on the site. After their third request to be inserted, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader received permission to perform this volunteer mission. When debris and enemy ground fires at the site caused them to abort the first attempt, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader were inserted one hundred meters south of the crash site. Equipped with only his sniper rifle and a pistol, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader, while under intense small arms fire from the enemy, fought their way through a dense maze of shanties and shacks to reach the critically injured crew members. Sergeant First Class Shughart pulled the pilot and the other crew members from the aircraft, establishing a perimeter which placed him and his fellow sniper in the most vulnerable position. Sergeant First Class Shughart used his long range rifle and side arm to kill an undetermined number of attackers while traveling the perimeter, protecting the downed crew. Sergeant First Class Shughart continued his protective fire until he depleted his ammunition and was fatally wounded. His actions saved the pilot's life. Sergeant First Class Shughart's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest standards of military service and reflect great credit upon him, his unit and the United States Army.

FJB
04-19-08, 02:06
This is a very condenced version of the letter that Master Sergeant Gordon's wife Carmen wrote to her children:

"One night" she wrote "before you were born, your father and I had a funny little talk about dying. I teased that I would not know where to bury him. Very quietly he said "up home in Maine, in my uniform."

She goes on to say: "Your dad never liked to wear a uniform [home on leave], and Maine was so far away from us. Only after he was laid to rest, in a tiny flag-filled graveyard in Lincoln, Maine, did I understand."

"His parents, burying their only son, could come tomorrow and the day after that. You and I would not have to pass his grave on our way to the grocery store, to Little League games or ballet recitals. Our lives would go on."

"And to the men he loved and died for, the uniform was a silent salute, a final repeat of his vows."

"Once again" she concluded "he had taken care of all of us".

Bushytale
04-19-08, 04:17
I know the story well. I have read the book" Blackhawk Down" numerous times as well as "In the Company of Heroes" by Michael Durant. When I think of Gordon and Shughart, more often than not I tear up. They are true heroes, the kind of men who make us all proud!

RIP

Blake
04-19-08, 04:36
After reading "Blackhawk Down", several years ago now, I took a big interest in Special Operations Forces. I think the community is pretty fascinating. At that time I was not in the military nor was I in to tactical training or weapons like I am now. As I have now been in the military for a while, and have gotten invovled in training, and reading more about special ops types, I often wonder; did these two heroes know that they were going in to a situation that would certainly lead to death, or did they think that they could win. I'm not trying to be phyilisophical about this, but I can see it both ways. I'm certainly not claiming to know the mindset of these types of operators, but sometimes I think I tell myself that they thought they would come out on top. Just some thoughts.

ToddG
04-19-08, 08:30
did these two heroes know that they were going in to a situation that would certainly lead to death, or did they think that they could win.

I didn't know either of these men, but have known enough men from the unit that my guess is they didn't think about it one way or the other. They saw something that needed to be done, and they volunteered to do it without concern for the risk to their own lives. Their fellow soldiers were in peril and they weren't going to stand by and watch from above. A fitting definition of the word hero, in my humble opinion.

Safetyhit
04-19-08, 09:01
I didn't know either of these men, but have known enough men from the unit that my guess is they didn't think about it one way or the other. They saw something that needed to be done, and they volunteered to do it without concern for the risk to their own lives. Their fellow soldiers were in peril and they weren't going to stand by and watch from above. A fitting definition of the word hero, in my humble opinion.

I would agree 100%. They would have gone regardless and probably gave it very little thought.

But they were instinctive fighters, too. I would be more inclined to imagine that they did believe there was some way out rather than none at all, but they had to know how bad the chances were. Maybe if there there would have been more ammo in the Blackhawk, or another small group was flown in and lowered to support, or maybe a Humvee would break off from the group and speed to the crash site with a .50 going. Maybe some air support would get there if they could just hold out...

I know it was chaotic hell there on the ground, but I just wish someone made it there in time to help somehow. I am sure they did too.

Blake
04-19-08, 09:16

I agree that they were just reacting to the situation. I guess I should rephrase my words to inquiring of the mindset of these two. In no way do I want anyone to think that I was insinuating they were looking to be heroes. That was not what I was saying. I guess I'm curious of what their thoughts about the situation were other than "let's get in there and help", but I might be over thinking it. I don't want to take away from a thread that was paying respects.

warpigM-4
04-19-08, 09:27
Brave men fighting to protect their brother in arms.Two of the finest men this country had in the military.They lived By the army values.God bless them both

TUNNEL RAT 33
04-19-08, 10:54
after reading the book and several accounts and seeing the movie i never could understand why the blackhawk that inserted them didnt stay in an overwatch and lend minigun support to the delta guys . then i read an account that that helo had also been severly hit and had to rtb . regardless i am in awe of such bravery !!

tuff
04-19-08, 11:26

A big Amen......

Colt6920
04-19-08, 11:30
I remember reading the article on them in Soldier of Fortune back around 94-95 and from what was printed in that article they racked up a HIGH body count. I wish I had a copy of that still.

sparrow
04-19-08, 13:30
I attended a leadership seminar with Col. Danny R McKnight a while back, listening to him speak of these two Warriors was very emotional and inspiring...I believe we will be speaking of and remembering their sacrifice for generations.

DrMark
04-19-08, 15:01
I was just thinking of them today, after attending a breakfast with Jeff Struecker speaking (known from the same battle).

I don't know why you posted today, but thanks.

True heros.

cactustactical
04-19-08, 15:30
Thanks for bringing this up.

It helps to keep me humble when I am reminded of the sacrifices some have made.

Sam
04-19-08, 16:18
This is a very condenced version of the letter that Master Sergeant Gordon's wife Carmen wrote to her children:

"One night" she wrote "before you were born, your father and I had a funny little talk about dying. I teased that I would not know where to bury him. Very quietly he said "up home in Maine, in my uniform."

She goes on to say: "Your dad never liked to wear a uniform [home on leave], and Maine was so far away from us. Only after he was laid to rest, in a tiny flag-filled graveyard in Lincoln, Maine, did I understand."

"His parents, burying their only son, could come tomorrow and the day after that. You and I would not have to pass his grave on our way to the grocery store, to Little League games or ballet recitals. Our lives would go on."

"And to the men he loved and died for, the uniform was a silent salute, a final repeat of his vows."

"Once again" she concluded "he had taken care of all of us".

I got choked up reading this letter.

Those men were certainly brave and heroes in every sense.

I trained with Paul Howe a few years ago and he said those two men knew exactly what they were doing and what they were getting into. I think Paul Howe is another hero among many on October 3, 1993.

Safetyhit
04-19-08, 20:54
Several of you have thanked me both here and via PM for this thread. Someone also asked for a larger copy of the picture via email, and that gave me this great though belated idea...

Shughart is on the left, Gordon on the right.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b32/Safetyhit/RandallShughart_GaryGordon.jpg

I am grateful to be able to humbly serve them in their absence today. Thanks to those who noticed and remembered them with me.

If any out there ever served with them or knew one personally, that feedback would be priceless to many here.

khc3
04-20-08, 15:48
At the MOH ceremony at the WH, Shughart's father told Clinton to his face that he was not fit to be President.

Obviously, honor and integrity were dominant genes in that family.

Joe Mamma
04-20-08, 23:09
After reading "Blackhawk Down", several years ago now, I took a big interest in Special Operations Forces. I think the community is pretty fascinating. At that time I was not in the military nor was I in to tactical training or weapons like I am now. As I have now been in the military for a while, and have gotten invovled in training, and reading more about special ops types, I often wonder; did these two heroes know that they were going in to a situation that would certainly lead to death, or did they think that they could win. I'm not trying to be phyilisophical about this, but I can see it both ways. I'm certainly not claiming to know the mindset of these types of operators, but sometimes I think I tell myself that they thought they would come out on top. Just some thoughts.

I wasn't there and I'm not even going to pretend to know what these guys were thinking. But, I remember hearing that these two actually held off the Somalis for a very long time. I can't remember the exact times. But, I remember the movie being criticized because it looked like they held them off for a much shorter period (for 20 min?) and in real life, it was much longer (maybe an hour or two?).

One of the points being raised by the criticism was that although the situation seemed mathematically impossible from the layperson's perspective, it was actually very possible that these 2 could have held off the large number of Somalis until help arrived. Again, I wasn't there but, I think the reality of the situation was that these two could have pulled it off if they had enough ammo.

Joe Mamma

grappler
04-21-08, 08:06
I wasn't there and I'm not even going to pretend to know what these guys were thinking. But, I remember hearing that these two actually held off the Somalis for a very long time. I can't remember the exact times. But, I remember the movie being criticized because it looked like they held them off for a much shorter period (for 20 min?) and in real life, it was much longer (maybe an hour or two?).

One of the points being raised by the criticism was that although the situation seemed mathematically impossible from the layperson's perspective, it was actually very possible that these 2 could have held off the large number of Somalis until help arrived. Again, I wasn't there but, I think the reality of the situation was that these two could have pulled it off if they had enough ammo.

Joe Mamma

You brought up a great point. I spoke to a guy (7th Grp) who knew both men, and the way he describes it, it was a long stand-off. Keep in mind, these guys were proffessionals, not shooting sporadicly, but with precision, everytime. With a full combat load, it would've taken a bit of time for them to run out...

Thanks for posting this, Safetyhit.

Shrike9
04-22-08, 05:42
I was stationed (and became friends) with a guy who was USAF PJ and fast roped into the Mog on that fateful day in October.

He was shot to shit and got a couple medals for his actions & was forced cross trained due to his injuries.

Anywho, Shughart (if i remember right) was the Godfather of his oldest daughter.

He could not watch the movie Blackhawk Down as it really messed him up & we had a few good chats about the Mog and what happened.

To Absent Comrades..............

Gutshot John
04-22-08, 08:37
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.- John 15:13

Matt Edwards
04-22-08, 09:04
I think about these two all the time. When the event occured, my PSG was Shughart's cusin and one of our other E-7s had come from that unit.

I agree that I don't really think those two Warriors thought that deeply about weather or not to be put it. It was what needed to be done. However, I'm sure they knew that as long as they were put in, there would be hope where there would not have been any.

I don't remember if I read this or herd it somewhere, but either way I agree with it; If there was ever a chance that 2 guys could have pulled off "the impossible", it was those two.

Bama-Shooter
04-22-08, 13:54
Very brave men.

Sidewinder6
04-22-08, 14:07
It is always good to remember the sacrifices that so many of our top tier friends make on a daily basis in life as in death.

My hat is always off in the presence of these individuals and in their memory.

I still have a vivid recollection of the anger I felt of the images from that day and hold in high regard many of the shooters and support personnel who helped this country learn a valuable lesson that we carry with us to this day.

Thank you for your service to our country.