PDA

View Full Version : The .50 caliber Glock

Ned Christiansen
04-19-08, 10:15
You guys seen this?

Alex Zimmermann, main cog at G.I., is a pal of mine-- I say this in the interest of full disclosure. He shared this with me at SHOT-- I got to handle a few, gonna have one here in a couple weeks for T&E. They will be available in numbers soon-- I don't know exactly when but it's not too far out...... chips have been flying for some time now.
http://www.louderthanwords.us/mediumfoto/picts/ulfls/19042008/17760773571.jpg

Lumpy196
04-19-08, 10:56
Since I'm the only one on this board who thinks a Glock 21 is worthy of owning...I'll say thats interesting on a very base level :D

Abraxas
04-19-08, 11:04
I would be more excited if this round had taken off better when the 1911 version was released. I like the idea of it though

Ned Christiansen
04-19-08, 19:56
Here's the rest of the flyer-
http://www.louderthanwords.us/smallfoto/picts/ulfls/19042008/15107499051.jpg

Ned Christiansen
04-19-08, 20:02
I don't think this caliber will ever see the inside of a WalMart, that's for sure. But although it's only available through one source at this time, there never has been any difficulty getting it (OK, one small difficulty, it goes for the same price as any premium ammo :-) ).

My friend Alex is not the type to talk about something that's going to be, pretty much only about things that already are. We didn't exactly have a direct conversation about it, but hanging with him at SHOT, I got the distinct impression that the ammo deal will change ere long in a way that will benefit those who are interested in this caliber.

SuicideHz
04-19-08, 20:54
I'll stick with my Desert Eagle! Just kidding. I don't own one of those...

Pretty interesting. I remember seeing this at GI when looking at their MSH and wondering if I'd ever see it anywhere else. Were the .50 1911s at all popular?

QuickStrike
04-20-08, 05:41
Does that rebated rim affect function? :confused:

Ned Christiansen
04-20-08, 09:27
The .50 1911's are their bread and butter. O' course that's what they are known for but they also recently built a batch of .45's for a PD contract.

That rebated rim is something a lot of people focus on. I gather there is some kind of legend about rebated rims in, which one was it, .50 AE or .41 AE? I don't really know much about either of them but I would guess it was the .41 since it's not around any more.... anyway, short answer, no. I've had 4-5 .50 GI's pass through my hands and tested two of them extensively-- I could not make them screw up. The magazines are art in sheet metal and I think that's a big part of why the guns work so well.

Thinking about it now, I almost want to say that a rebated rim ought to help function more than hurt it-- the breachface stricking the cartridge rim more toward the center, seems like it would make nosedives less likely..... moot in this case anyway. Whatever the function problem may have been with the .41 AE, based on my experience with the .50 GI (an other reports), I'd say it was erroneous to out it on the rebated rim.

Ned Christiansen
04-20-08, 09:46
I looked up a little review I did of a couple of the first GI's I saw, in case anyone is interested:
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=73326&highlight=blimey