PDA

View Full Version : Noob Here…First Post…looking to bathe in the wisdom of the AR elders

zhoenixx
08-18-13, 20:13
I am doing my first AR build and have a few concerns before I start bolting this beast together.

1. Looking for any advice or pro tips you can share in regards to the actual build (recommended tools, staking, pin or not-to-pin the gas block, etc…)

2. Also looking for feedback/advice on what I currently have and what would be some solid choices for the remaining parts I do not yet have.

I’m all about the "buy once, cry once", so I’m open to any suggestions.

This is what I currently have:

Vltor MUR Upper w/ Bolt Assist & Shell Deflector
Spikes Tactical Punisher Stripped Lower Receiver
BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) – Auto
BCM BFH 16" Mid Length Barrel, Stripped
BCM Low Profile Gas Block (steel with set screws) 750
Centurion Arms C4 Rail System - 12-inch Mid Length
Griffin Armament M4SD-II Flash Comp
ERGO 2 Grip

This is what I still need to get:

Geissele SSA-E Trigger
Lower Parts Kit
Sling
MBUS

I’m not going to put any optics on it until I learn to shoot it with the open sights.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if building ARs is as addicting as everyone says it is, I'm sure this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship!

Thanks!

Iraqgunz
08-18-13, 20:20
Components seem to be good to go. Make sure you have the correct tools, inspect all of the parts to include test fitting of components beforehand and ensure that you understand the various torque specs and what not.

Zane1844
08-18-13, 20:38
I suggest this LPK, that includes the trigger you want (and other triggers.)

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GRT-LPK

Also, one thing I looked over when just changing out barrel nuts and handguards was grease. There is a certain one in the TDP, but I just used Coastal Moly grease.

C4IGrant
08-18-13, 21:05
Do you have someone to show you the proper way to asseme your AR?

C4

zhoenixx
08-18-13, 21:21
I do have a buddy who could walk me through it...but I like to tackle this stuff on my own

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

lunchbox
08-18-13, 21:24
I suggest this LPK, that includes the trigger you want (and other triggers.)

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GRT-LPK

Also, one thing I looked over when just changing out barrel nuts and handguards was grease. There is a certain one in the TDP, but I just used Coastal Moly grease.No kiddin, thanks good to know. I''ve used a couple differ name brand grease for differ builds, even used copper anti-seize https://www.google.com/search?q=copper+anti+seize&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=DoARUsWZN4iE9QS0-4BY&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=602#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=724028614ccc3fa9&q=pure+copper+anti+seize&sa=1&tbm=isch from work on one build(beatr brush gun)....The TDP grease, I have to ask. Is it Mil-Spec??

Zane1844
08-18-13, 21:51
No kiddin, thanks good to know. I''ve used a couple differ name brand grease for differ builds, even used copper anti-seize https://www.google.com/search?q=copper+anti+seize&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=DoARUsWZN4iE9QS0-4BY&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=602#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=724028614ccc3fa9&q=pure+copper+anti+seize&sa=1&tbm=isch from work on one build(beatr brush gun)....The TDP grease, I have to ask. Is it Mil-Spec??

I am pretty sure I am wrong that it is in the TDP. It just meets "Mil-Spec" and my memory banks probably confused somethings.

http://www.qclubricants.com/aeroshell/aeroshell33.htm

lunchbox
08-18-13, 22:04
I do have a buddy who could walk me through it...but I like to tackle this stuff on my own

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4I'd say call buddy and buy 6'er.

lunchbox
08-18-13, 22:14
I am pretty sure I am wrong that it is in the TDP. It just meets "Mil-Spec" and my memory banks probably confused somethings.

http://www.qclubricants.com/aeroshell/aeroshell33.htmYa sorry, it was a bad joke not even warranting a drum rim shot. Thanks for link man, which one is recommended for barrels?

Hemoglobin
08-18-13, 22:22
I'd say call buddy and buy 6'er.

I would second this. Speed up the learning and less headaches...plus a 6 pack? win-win-win.

I'm all for tackling things on my own as well, but I am fairly limited to a spring or two flying across the room a couple times and having to turn my castle nut around correctly before I lose patience (it was 3am come on)

Airhasz
08-18-13, 22:25

There are numerous YouTube videos on each part in the lower parts kit. Use some tape to protect from scratches on your lower when installing the mag release. Many of us have assembled rifles without the help of a friend, if you like to tinker youll enjoy it.

Bowser
08-19-13, 02:52
You're going to need a standard AR-15 barrel nut for that rail. It doesn't come with one.

WS6
08-19-13, 04:05
Aeroshell 33ms

NeoNeanderthal
08-19-13, 07:35
There are numerous YouTube videos on each part in the lower parts kit. Use some tape to protect from scratches on your lower when installing the mag release. Many of us have assembled rifles without the help of a friend, if you like to tinker youll enjoy it.

Painters tape for sure. Especially when installing the bolt release, thats really the only time I'm worried about scratching the lower. Heres my advice:

You don't need any help installing the LPK in the lower. Just use correct tools (IE roll pin punch for the bolt release and trigger guard.) and utilize the Cotter pin trick for the front take down pin and you'll be fine.

Get help installing the barrel/barrel nut. It might be better to pay someone to do it because the tools you need- add up to more than paying a gunsmith to do it. (Torque wrench, breaker bar, barrel nut wrench, action block, vise, moly grease). If you've already got a vise and a torque wrench then you'll spend less doing it yourself and you'll get an action block which is nice to have. However, this step is crucial so i would get help from someone who knows how to do it if available!!

matemike
08-19-13, 07:53
A set of dental pics will help with holding the tiny springs and detent pins back while installing your take down pins. I remember those to be the only real tricky part. I also recommend turning a large cardboard box on its side with the opening facing you and assembling the lower inside of it. If and WHEN you launch a tiny spring, you'll have a better chance of it staying inside the box.

C4IGrant
08-19-13, 08:01

Cool. If you have "buddies" like me, I wouldn't let them help me change the oil in my car soooo....

Also, be careful of YT vids. Not everyone knows what they are doing on there either. ;)

C4

zhoenixx
08-19-13, 09:17
Painters tape for sure. Especially when installing the bolt release, thats really the only time I'm worried about scratching the lower. Heres my advice:

You don't need any help installing the LPK in the lower. Just use correct tools (IE roll pin punch for the bolt release and trigger guard.) and utilize the Cotter pin trick for the front take down pin and you'll be fine.

Get help installing the barrel/barrel nut. It might be better to pay someone to do it because the tools you need- add up to more than paying a gunsmith to do it. (Torque wrench, breaker bar, barrel nut wrench, action block, vise, moly grease). If you've already got a vise and a torque wrench then you'll spend less doing it yourself and you'll get an action block which is nice to have. However, this step is crucial so i would get help from someone who knows how to do it if available!!

Thank you everyone for all the excellent tips - very helpful forum here!

I do have a torque wrench, vise and did order an action block (http://www.ebay.com/itm/281019028909?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649).

I'm an ASE certified Master Mechanic so I'm pretty confident I can do this part, I just need to look up the torque spec, tightening sequence and what lube to use.

I also forgot to mention that I do not yet have a buffer system. I really like the Vltor A5, but can't find it anywhere! What are your thoughts on this system?

Ryno12
08-19-13, 09:24
I also forgot to mention that I do not yet have a buffer system. I really like the Vltor A5, but can't find it anywhere! What are your thoughts on this system?

There's several threads here regarding the A5. Do a search on Vltor A5 in the title.

Mil Spec Depot has them in stock.
http://www.milspecdepot.com/a5-spring-and-buffer-kit.html

They also have the receiver extension.
http://www.milspecdepot.com/a5-receiver-extension-tube.html

Sent via Tapatalk

zhoenixx
08-19-13, 09:32
Thanks for the help locating the A5. I noticed the description says that it comes with a rifle length spring, is this going to be an issue with my mid length set up?

Ryno12
08-19-13, 09:33
Thanks for the help locating the A5. I noticed the description says that it comes with a rifle length spring, is this going to be an issue with my mid length set up?

No, but you'll need the RE.

You may want to read up about it here to familiarize yourself with the system.

Sent via Tapatalk

zhoenixx
08-19-13, 10:25
No, but you'll need the RE.

You may want to read up about it here to familiarize yourself with the system.

Sent via Tapatalk

I just found a spring and receiver extension on AlphaOps.com

Vltor A5 7-Position Carbine Mil-Spec Buffer Assembly - Combo

Tzook
08-19-13, 10:33
Looks like your parts are good to go, should be a great rifle.

zhoenixx
08-19-13, 10:40
Looks like your parts are good to go, should be a great rifle.

Thanks! I'll make sure to post pics and specs when I get it all together.

Split66
08-19-13, 10:50
Lol, proper tools are a must, stay away from the Vice Grip assembly guys on YT :)

Good luck!

RazorBurn
08-19-13, 11:05
A pivot pin and detent tool was hands down one of the best tools I invested in for building stripped lowers. A good all around AR multi tool is a good investment too.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/919925/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-pivot-pin-detent-and-roll-pin-installation-tool-ar-15-steel

https://www.primaryarms.com/DPMS-AR15-M16-Armorers-MultiTool-p/tl-mw.htm

zhoenixx
08-19-13, 12:56
Lol, proper tools are a must, stay away from the Vice Grip assembly guys on YT :)

Good luck!

Why is assembly using a vice not a good thing? What are the other options?

RazorBurn
08-19-13, 13:06
Why is assembly using a vice not a good thing? What are the other options?

I'm pretty sure that he meant to stay away from the Vice Grip guys who post on Youtube...

zhoenixx
08-19-13, 15:23
I'm pretty sure that he meant to stay away from the Vice Grip guys who post on Youtube...

Oh...I misread that. Whoops!

MistWolf
08-19-13, 17:11
Some folks use Vise Grips to press pins into place. This is a bad idea because the toothy jaws can slip and tear up your parts

lunchbox
08-19-13, 22:25
A set of dental pics will help with holding the tiny springs and detent pins back while installing your take down pins. I remember those to be the only real tricky part. I also recommend turning a large cardboard box on its side with the opening facing you and assembling the lower inside of it. If and WHEN you launch a tiny spring, you'll have a better chance of it staying inside the box.I've had best luck with using flat of straight razor to hold detent down yet thin enough to let pin slide over...And ya as mentioned stay away from vice grip guys, if they even have them out on table as if to use them I'd be suspicious. Good luck.

Iraqgunz
08-19-13, 22:37
Or you can just buy the Pivot Pin Installation Tool from Brownells for like 12.00. It makes assembly alot easier.

QUOTE=lunchbox;1725136]I've had best luck with using flat of straight razor to hold detent down yet thin enough to let pin slide over...And ya as mentioned stay away from vice grip guys, if they even have them out on table as if to use them I'd be suspicious. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

lunchbox
08-19-13, 23:16
Or you can just buy the Pivot Pin Installation Tool from Brownells for like 12.00. It makes assembly alot easier. Agree, the OP should conceder tool as best choice. I was giving alternative "cheap" idea, but did use word "best". I should have said; of all the detent springs launched from improper tools, less of them were from a razor.