PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to stock up on PMC X-TAC 62 LAP for all around use?

danpass
08-19-13, 18:24
For a 14.5 pinned middy?

My heavy match ammo is reloads and I figure AE223 or BP223BL is appropriate for classes.

Leaving the general hd arena .....

Snake Plissken
08-19-13, 21:40
Why would it not be?

Agnostic
08-19-13, 22:07
I haven't shot x-tac 62 gr, but the x-tac 55gr I have shot has run fine.

Kain
08-19-13, 22:22
I think there are worse choices but I do believe that there are also a lot better. For closer range use I think 55gr Xtac might be a better option, though unless you are stocking up in the hundreds to thousands of rounds for the zombies or something Hornady TAP can be had for ~.75 a round and I believe the Prvi 75gr BTHP can be had for ~.50 a round when it is in stock and preforms comparable to TAP from what I have read.

Ammo is cheap, life is not.

danpass
08-19-13, 22:29
I suppose I'm a little jaded on TAP 75, specifically 8126N, as the case I'd once ordered had 2-3 rnds out of every 20pk with a loose bullet. I could turn the bullet with light pressure. :rolleyes:

Kain
08-19-13, 22:41
I suppose I'm a little jaded on TAP 75, specifically 8126N, as the case I'd once ordered had 2-3 rnds out of every 20pk with a loose bullet. I could turn the bullet with light pressure. :rolleyes:

Would have been calling Hornady on that. Though to be fair even the biggest manufactures can screw up from time to time. Even with premium competition shells that I shoot I have had bad lots. But, my point is that there are better rounds to stock up on. This coming from someone who has there about a thousand rounds of the exact ammo you are speaking up put away for a rainy day, though my excuse is that my ACOG's BDC is calibrated for the ammo so I decide to have a quantity on hand.

Iraqgunz
08-19-13, 23:56
What does the Hornady story have to do with the PMC? Did you actually contact Hornady and tell them about the issue? My guess is that you didn't.

If you saw the amount of ammo that the military reclassifies in a month due to a wide variety of issues your head would swim.

I have seen jacked ammo from almost every single ammo manufacturer out there. Shit happens.

danpass
08-20-13, 00:17
The retailer took it back.

That's the only time I've gotten ammo with loose necks.

Snake Plissken
08-20-13, 18:28
Just stock up on whatever is cheap. IE: nothing currently for sale.

danpass
08-20-13, 18:44
Yeah, much less available.

XTAC is available though.

Snake Plissken
08-20-13, 19:09
Then buy it if you find the price agreeable. I do not understand these notions around these parts that you have to buy 2,000 rounds of the latest and greatest shit Hornady is putting out TAXPXPXPXPPXPXXXX whatever.

vicious_cb
08-21-13, 05:52
Im going to break it down for you in the typical no BS M4carbine way. Buy 200-500 rounds of high quality defensive ammo be it heavy OTM or barrier blind depending on your needs. Shoot some for function checking and zeroing.

After that buy whatever what you can afford for practice, classes, zombies whatever because you will NEVER need to shoot hundreds or thousands of rounds even in the worst SHTF scenario you can dream up.