PDA

View Full Version : Gathering parts for first retro AR - to forgo the pencil barrel or not

culannmac
08-19-13, 22:28
Greetings all,

I've been bitten with the AR retro bug and I've started collecting parts. I've done a bit of perusing and got most of my answers but I have a few questions I couldn't find answers for.
I'm going for an A1 clone, but I'm willing to forgo some historical accuracy for expediency, durability and fun.

1) I plan on using a NoDak Spud lower and I've found a surplus upper on Apex. I plan on using new internals like the buffer, buffer tube, BCM BCG, etc. I assume this will work?

2) I've purchased this upper receiver from Apex. Does anyone have any info or opinions. I'm curious as to where these M16s were produced and/or exported to.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/49/products_id/1384

3) A1 pencil barrels are as rare as hen's teeth at the moment. Would it be complete sacrilege to use an A2 barrel instead? It would be nice to use a good BCM A2 barrel with 1/7 twist. Can an A1 FSB be bored out to fit? Will A1 triangle hand guards fit?

I appreciate any advice or opinions. I try to keep my noob posts to a minimum .

Oh one last thing, I went to basic at Ft. Leonard-Wood back in 87, we were issued A1s, but an A2 was brought out to the range one day for a kind of show and tell. Were there any last iterations of the A1 commonly used in the 80s? I remember one interesting thing about the rifle issued to me. It had an Anniston Army Depot marking. I found that interesting because my dad was stationed at Ft. McClellan and we lived there for three years.

Col_Crocs
08-20-13, 05:39
You found a good upper... Dont give up on the barrel just yet.

jtb0311
08-20-13, 19:33
DEZ Arms has marketed a 1/7" A1 match barrel in the past - I built an A1 clone with one several years ago.

Green Mountain also markets an A1 barrel, but in 1/12".

culannmac
08-20-13, 20:30
I just pulled the trigger on a 1/7 chrome-lined pencil barrel from McKay Enterprises. To be honest , I'm leery of the quality and I didn't find any reviews. I doubt it has M4 feed ramps, though as a 20 ' barrel I guess it wouldn't need them.
That said, this is not my HD rifle, more of a plinking gun.

Here's the link.

http://store.mckay-ent.com/parts/m16-a1-replacement-barrel.html

halfmoonclip
10-02-13, 22:52
Hold out for a pencil barrel if possible. I built my A1 clone back in the day when NOS Colt uppers/barrels were to be had; such is no longer the case.
That said, no small part of the magic of the AR platform (and what Stoner was striving for) is light weight. An 8.5 lb (or more) A1 makes no sense at all. When the ban sunsetted, I owned a Colt HBar for awhile; somewhat solved the problem by having ADCO turn the barrel down to Gummint' dimensions, which is another alternative.
An A1 is supposed to weigh 6.5 lbs, a goal to strive for.
Moon

HeavyDuty
10-02-13, 23:49
I just pulled the trigger on a 1/7 chrome-lined pencil barrel from McKay Enterprises. To be honest , I'm leery of the quality and I didn't find any reviews. I doubt it has M4 feed ramps, though as a 20 ' barrel I guess it wouldn't need them.
That said, this is not my HD rifle, more of a plinking gun.

Here's the link.

http://store.mckay-ent.com/parts/m16-a1-replacement-barrel.html

I have one of these for my current build. It does have M4 cuts and appears to be a quality barrel.

halfmoonclip
10-03-13, 09:26
How critical are the M4 ramps in rifle length ARs?
My impression was that they didn't matter at all, but I'll ask anyway.
Moon

HeavyDuty
10-03-13, 20:12
I don't think they matter, but it's easier to find upper receivers that have M4 cuts than not.

NVSeabee
11-12-13, 00:50
Green Mountain Barrels makes a 20" 1 in 12 pencil barrel. You will need to get your own FSB mounted it is .625 under the FSB.

RyanB
11-12-13, 01:22
I don't think they matter, but it's easier to find upper receivers that have M4 cuts than not.

Only true of flat top uppers.

karlb
11-22-13, 18:33
Hold out for a pencil barrel if possible. I built my A1 clone back in the day when NOS Colt uppers/barrels were to be had; such is no longer the case.
That said, no small part of the magic of the AR platform (and what Stoner was striving for) is light weight. An 8.5 lb (or more) A1 makes no sense at all. When the ban sunsetted, I owned a Colt HBar for awhile; somewhat solved the problem by having ADCO turn the barrel down to Gummint' dimensions, which is another alternative.
An A1 is supposed to weigh 6.5 lbs, a goal to strive for.
Moon

I agree. The lightweight and balance is what makes my A1 clone such a fun rifle to shoot.