PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight with a rail. Options?

myv6
08-20-13, 00:58
I'm in a bit of a pickle. I've had a Noveske skinny MOE (mid length) for a while now. Love it. Its light and quick. This is the way I'd like to keep it.

That being said, I'm not a fan of the Hand guard and fsp setup. I'd like to get rid of that clutter up front and would like some extra rail space if I were to need it.

Being its a 14.5 with perm attached flash hider I'm limited to barrel nut attached rails and will have to cut and form my fsp. Not a big deal. I've done it before and repainted so it looks good.

So I guess my question is, what rails do I have as options? The lighter the better.Troy alpha is one, I've got a 13" one on another 14.5" of mine and its a solid rail. But will the 11" version cover the cut up fsp?

Picture, for science.

http://i.imgur.com/fudyXrs.jpg

Mr Elbowseed
08-20-13, 01:25
Centurion 12" they're 2 piece and use the std. barrel nut.

Eta I personally haven't used this rail, I have their mid-length cut out version and am loving it.

TheGut
08-20-13, 01:55
Centurion 12" they're 2 piece and use the std. barrel nut.

Eta I personally haven't used this rail, I have their mid-length cut out version and am loving it.

+1

Light, fantastic quality, and 2 piece construction. Hard to beat if you don't want to mess with removing the muzzle device, barrel nut, and my case FSP (Midlength Cutout).

Iraqgunz
08-20-13, 02:24
So there are a few options. You can remove the FSB and then get a LaRue gas block (extended one) that will cover both the taper pin cuts on the barrel. You may have to dimple the barrel in one place for one of the set screws.

If you are going to cut and grind the FSB down and are limited to the standard USGI barrel nut then I would get the Centurion Arms 12" C4 rail.

grunz
08-20-13, 05:24
An 11 inch rail will cover your cut down FSB on a middy.

albatrossarmament
08-20-13, 06:15
The Troy Alpha would be perfect, very lightweight. Just chop the FSB and reprofile. I did the same thing to two of my MK18's (I used a Bravo rail), no need to remove the FSB or Flash Hider. For a middy-gas, you will want an 11" rail.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5481/9291186161_12e431652f_b.jpg

TurretGunner
08-20-13, 08:49
IG advice is solid. C4 rail is very nice and not too expensive

The troy is another good option, although I would only run them slick.

Depending on how hard you run the gun, you may want a beter designed barrel nut like the ones that DD uses.

I would also take a hard look at some of the Keymod rails. Very light and you can configure it however you want it. I think this is really going to take off, and become a sort of commercial standard over the next couple years.

I'm a huge fan of lightweight, fast pointing rifles, so any weight that can be shaved off the front end, is what I look for in my rifles.

uffdaphil
08-20-13, 08:53
I did one with the C4 cut out. Very nice rail, but uncomfortably wide for my stubby hand. Similar DD Lite perfect for me. Next pinned 14.5 gets the 14" Fortis - higher than the C4, but narrower. Here is a pic from Stickman:

Dan_93SER
08-20-13, 08:59
The Fortis Rev 12" is another option. It's very lightweight.

munch520
08-20-13, 09:07
I'd cut down that FSB and go with a centurion 12

OliviaGoode
08-20-13, 10:43
I don't think you really need to change this, because it's light and quick it's all you want from a weapon like this. I pretty like this one and thinking to have something like this which is light and quick.

WHY IS MY HOUSE STILL BEING RAVAGED BY TERMITES???? (http://www.termiterescue.com.au/news/termite-advice/termite-baiting-systems-facts.php)

TurretGunner
08-20-13, 12:43

Just checked that out. Looks like one hell of a rail for the money, and uses the std barrel nut.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3900

jerrysimons
08-20-13, 13:00

Agreed
If you are going for light weight (and like the unique profile of it)
the Fortis Rev beats the C4 in my book.

myv6
08-20-13, 15:45
That fortis sure does look nice. That may be a great option. The 12" model is Lighter than the troy 11" to boot. I'll have to do some looking into that, but i think i found my rail. Thanks for the advice guys. Im back and forth with this damn gun. Half of me wants to leave it the way it is, the other half cant quit tinkering with things.

wahoo95
08-20-13, 16:21
I recently built a 14.5" LW BCM Middy with 11" Troy and its a sweet set up...especially if you don't want perm rails. I like the C4 but bulky(width) compared to the non railed handguards which is important if you wanna keep the balance you currently have.

Caeser25
08-20-13, 17:10
Another vote for the Fortis.

myv6
08-21-13, 01:32
Fortis 12" ordered. I didn't really went a bottom rail, it would be nice if they made one with the key mod on the bottom section too, but its longer and lighter than the Troy so it won.

Thanks again for the suggestions. It helped me find an option I hadn't considered.