PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Ear Protectors

Zip06
08-20-06, 14:02
My Gentex Wolf Ears Model 1030A are ready to go to ear protector heaven. Can any of you recommend an excellent product of current or leading edge technology for replacement.

rob_s
08-20-06, 15:50
The Sordins seem popular. I've never been happy with any brand I've tried though, they never compare to the NRR I get with regular old rubber plugs.

Harv
08-20-06, 17:11
I just upgraded from my peltor Tac 6's to the Sordin Supreme's...
Can you say Yugo to Cadillac.......;)

Very nice sound quality, And after close to 20 years of Tank Fire, I never found a pair of Plugs that gave adequate NRR rating anyhow......;)

For Shooting my AR's and Pistol they work just peachy........

Robb Jensen
08-21-06, 04:11
I like Pro Ears. You can actually adjust the sensativity by moving a jumper and each side has it's own volume adjustment like all other brands. Indoors I use both plugs and these Pro Ears with the settings at the highest setting and I don't have trouble hearing the timer or people talking etc.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/leaning.jpg

I also use a set of Peltor 6S with the gel earpieces from I-Shot. These things are the most comfortable hearing protection I've ever worn.

Rmplstlskn
08-21-06, 23:02
+1 for the SORDIN's...

Excellent sound cut yet still allows you to clearly hear voices and other low-level sounds. I sometimes forget that gun shots are being cut out it is that SEEMLESS...

I have worn them all day without discomfort too.

They are supposed to fold up into itself but it doesn't really do that so well, so storing in the bag needs a bit more organization as one muff always fails to fold in tight.

Also, completely WATERPROOF (my model without input jack).

Rmpl

MudBug
08-22-06, 00:06
Well I hope my experience with Sordins gets better. I've had them for 5 months and they haven't worked right for the last 3.

They first started just dying. I called Tactical Command (where i bought them) and they told me what they thought the problem was and how to fix it. That seemed to work for about a month till they died on the 4th day of a 5 day class. I messed with them again and they just continued to work off and on till yesterday when I finally had enough and sent them back for repair or replacement.

I have never heard anyone else complain about this problem, so I hope this was just a fluke cuz $220 is alot of money to spend for something that works like a $16 set of standard (non-electric) muffs.

Zip06
08-22-06, 17:32
There are three Sordin models, the Basic, the Supreme Pro IV and a higher priced one. Is the middle one the preferable one?

Triad Tactical
08-24-06, 12:07
I sell a lot of the MSA/Sordin Supreme Pro muffs. I have had two returns in the last year.

www.TriadTactical.com

Kisara
08-24-06, 15:02
Mine came from Triad. Great price and service. THANKS!

blaster22
08-24-06, 15:06
I like my Peltors.

MudBug
08-24-06, 17:22
I sell a lot of the MSA/Sordin Supreme Pro muffs. I have had two returns in the last year.

www.TriadTactical.com

May I ask why they were returned?

Also have you heard of this problem with the anti-corrosion coating Sordin started putting in the battery caps?

I didn't know you sold them or I would have just gone through you, Thankfully Tactical Command really stepped up and sent me a new set on the day they got mine, I'll have them back tomorrow which is pretty good considering I mailed them out on monday.

Marler5811
08-24-06, 18:55
I just purchased the new Peltor Tactical Sports from i-Shot. I can't wait to get them. I have heard good thing about them. http://ishot-inc.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=134&osCsid=acdd1a12601d2d8d62795dc3d0e06217

Robb Jensen
08-24-06, 23:38
I like my Peltors.

You have to get a set of the gel inserts from I-Shot for those badboys! Their very nice and very comfortable. :D

f.2
04-22-07, 10:02
Does anyone know how the automatic cut off feature works on the Sordin? Could not find this mentioned in the manual. I don't like assuming, but I take it they will not shut themselves off after a set time otherwise you could be up shit creek without a paddle on the firing line of a long day. I figure they shut off without any sound input after a certain time.

MudBug. If your Sordins were replaced or repaired, how are they working out now?

I just tried out my MSA Sordin Supreme PRO Digital Ear-Pro (from Tac Command) at the range yesterday and after 3 hours (long for me) they worked fine and were in no way uncomfortable.