PDA

View Full Version : Intro to Tactical Shotgun with Frankie McRae and Raidon Tactics

Quiet Riot
08-20-13, 09:17
Here's a video showing me learning how to load a pump shotgun "over the top" from Frankie McRae from start to finish. This is just one skill I learned that day, but it shows the progression I made during the course as well as what goes on during a typical Raidon Tactics class.

Raidon Tactics is based out of 37PSR & Gun Club in Bunnlevel, NC. Frankie is the former head of the US Army Special Forces Advanced Reconnaissance Target Analysis and Exploitation Techniques Course (SFARTAETC) at Ft. Bragg N.C. He was awarded for having the highest graduation rate for the course in it’s twenty year history.

He also served as a Troop SGM Troop 1 and Team SGT ODA-354 in B co 2nd Bn 3rd SFG(A) CIF in IRAQ as an Iraqi Counter-Terrorism Force (ICTF) Company SGM advisor and combat leader on many missions in Iraq and also attended the Israeli Counter-Terrorism Course as an exchange instructor.

A longer video will follow featuring more of Frankie's instruction as well as all of the other great students that attended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpNiPuIljDw

SmithEC
08-20-13, 14:42
I think that's actually a video worth watching.

Last month I had the opportunity to do a half-day shotgun and long-range handgun shoot. I didn't own a shotgun at the time, so I borrowed an 870 from the instructor. It was the first time I had touched a shotgun in probably 27 years.

I left the course wondering if maybe the pump-action shotgun is a bad HD choice for most of the people who own them. I'm talking about the folks who buy an 870 Express, load it with ammo and lean it in the corner somewhere in their house, having never shot the thing.

I don't think their use is actually intuitive for those who never shoot.

I was watching Road to Perdition later the same day of that training. In the last half of that movie, you see a guy with what is presumably a pump 12 gauge. He has picked a stack of packing crates as concealment. You see him take a shot, duck down behind the crates, then come back up, aim in, AND THEN chamber the next shell before taking the shot.

Why didn't he chamber his next shell while ducked down?

I think it's possible that plenty of untrained people might do the same thing.

I asked the instructor of the really short training evolution that I did why shotgun classes don't show up very often on the schedules of his particular training group (SI). He says it's because folks just will not pay for shotgun instruction.

Your video sure illustrates the value of training.

Nicely done.

Quiet Riot
08-20-13, 21:33
Thanks! They also offer Intro to Shotgun, which covers basic usage and is more of a "I just bought a shotgun, now what?" kind of course, and they have several advanced tactical shotgun courses planned.

Frankie is a believer in the pump shotgun for HD, and he's backing it up with good instruction.

NCPatrolAR
08-20-13, 23:34
The pump action shotgun isn't a novice gun. Way too many people make this mistake and don't get bit by it due sheer luck

thopkins22
08-21-13, 00:01
The pump action shotgun isn't a novice gun. Way too many people make this mistake and don't get bit by it due sheer luck

Indeed. Most of the time I see these shotgun training videos and remember why it is that shotguns are more of a speciality tool than the do everything, most versatile damn thing on the planet that they are often advertised as.

Quiet Riot
08-21-13, 08:21

I think this sums up what happened to me during the class. I have a pump shotgun in line (for me) after getting a new pistol (for my wife).

Quiet Riot
09-12-13, 18:43
I finally got the full video done. I was able to edit the entire class down to 30 minutes of instruction and drills. You'll get a much better idea for Frankie's teaching in this video than the shorter video linked above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O62TAcfguy0